Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

01.01.13 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Questions about Love vs. friendship....

Hey all....

I have a bit of a situation here and was hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I have been friends with this absolutely amazing woman since we were in high school. We were close then and lost touch for a bit when we graduated. After a few years and divorces for both of us, we had a reunion of sorts and have been very close. Here's the problem: I think I'm falling in love with her. She has everything that a man could possibly ask for. Sparkling personality, incredible looks, extremely intelligent and actually has her shit together. We always laugh when we talk and can be on the phone for hours without running out of things to say. Our personalities are almost identical.

What do I do? I don't want to run the risk of losing her as a friend if I "make the move" but I really think I'm in love with her. Is this another case of "guys can't REALLY be friends with women?" I really would appreciate any advice. Every ounce of me is aching for this woman.....
    "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you..." -Neil Young

"The sun's not yellow, it's chicken." -Bob Dylan

"If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1981.

Guy of Gisborne: Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
    Sheriff of Nottingham: Because it's DULL, you twit!!! It'll HURT MORE!!!

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Talk with her about it. That'll give you clarity that you'll never find here or just mulling it over in your head.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 305 Times in 225 Posts

You should make your move using the red light green light method.
    Leave the talking bullshit where it belongs.(With her mother.)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Big Trouble
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:44 AM
    Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts

When in doubt whip it out...and ask "You in or you out baby?"...No just kidding...

Its a tough situation because just like when your feeding a small animal you want it to come to you so you can't make any sudden, fast, and animated movements...

Best thing to do is ask her out for drinks or dinner or both...nothing too extravagant..you know...don't go to a 5-Star restaurant that Mario Betali is cooking at...but don't shintz on it either by taking her to Applebees/Chilis/Fridays/Houlahans...you know those chain restaurants that are a 1/2 notch above fast food places...sushi bars are always good places for dates

Since you said you have great conversations thats perfect...Now once you guys have some drinks in you...not too many but just enough to give you some bravado...be truthful...tell her straight out how you feel...trust me it will be a huge load off your back and you can find out if you are wasting your time waiting for someone who is not interested in you...when a stud-muffin like yourself could be out there breakin' hearts all over the "Live Free or Die" state...
    Kosovo Je Srbija

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I rather enjoy Chili's, myself.

Ace, I'm thinking if you folks are truly talking for hours at a time on the phone, she's interested.

You're just trying to avoid that emotional shrinkage that comes when a man's advances are spurned. That's where your own bravado comes into play.

Ask yourself, what would Teddy Roosevelt do? What would George S. Bygod Patton do, soldier? What would Lee Marvin do? Why, they'd charge that hill, just like Matthew Broderick in "Glory", that's what they'd do!

Simply stated, you won't know until you "go". So go!!! And then you'll know!!!

As TV fitness product visionary Tony Little says on the Gecko commercial, "Yeah, baby!!! You can do it!!!"
    Last edited by Red; 07.13.05 at 06:38 AM.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 33 Times in 13 Posts

Well, it sucks to be stuck in the "friend zone" with a girl that you like. I've been there. If she doesn't feel the same way, the friendship could be over, or it could stay the same, depending on how mature the both of you are. But I would just tell her how you feel. Even if you get rejected, you'll feel better for getting it off your chest. And yes,you can be friends with a girl, just not best friends. Also, I think there is always some kind of romantic attraction between friends of the opposite sex, no matter how faint. It's just that people refuse to acknowledge it- that's my personal opinion.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:19 PM
    Liked 548 Times in 329 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Go for it. Two of the best relationships in my life were with my "best friend" and taking it to the next level. And a couple of my biggest regrets are not pursuing situations because of "friendship".

Not sure if I'll say this right, but if you tell her, and she doesn't feel the same way, one of two things will happen. Either it'll be too wierd and you two will lose that closeness, or you'll friendship will continue without much of a blip. Obviously, no problem with #2. However, and this is where I'm not sure I'll say this right, if you two were going to stay friends long term, then even if #1 happens, you'll reconnect after a while. If your friendship isn't strong enough to ultimately overcome the disconnect (after a period of time), then it wouldn't have lasted anyway, therefore what's the point of denying yourself this chance to be happy for a friendship that wouldn't have lasted anyway.

Does that make sense?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

Put her in check!

If she backs down when you make your move,that's when you explain to her about how you feel.
    The talking part in your relationship has already been established,now is the time to make your move.Finish the game before someone else does,hurry!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by IED
    Go for it. Two of the best relationships in my life were with my "best friend" and taking it to the next level. And a couple of my biggest regrets are not pursuing situations because of "friendship".

Not sure if I'll say this right, but if you tell her, and she doesn't feel the same way, one of two things will happen. Either it'll be too wierd and you two will lose that closeness, or you'll friendship will continue without much of a blip. Obviously, no problem with #2. However, and this is where I'm not sure I'll say this right, if you two were going to stay friends long term, then even if #1 happens, you'll reconnect after a while. If your friendship isn't strong enough to ultimately overcome the disconnect (after a period of time), then it wouldn't have lasted anyway, therefore what's the point of denying yourself this chance to be happy for a friendship that wouldn't have lasted anyway.

Does that make sense?
    That about sums it up Great post my man.

Just one thing, when you "make you move" do it by talking to her and letting her know your feelings, do NOT do it physically

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Wow...Thanks for all the advice!

I honestly think she's having the same feelings. She's dropped a few little hints over the past couple of weeks. I normally have a pretty good sense of intuition and it's telling me this is going to happen. I honestly think I am meant to be with her and her with me. I really do thank those of you who replied.

I'm going to set it up for one night this week, (not Applebee's ). We have this cool little place we like to go and have dinner every once in a while. I'm just going to spill my guts to her and profess my love. I guess the worst that can happen is she says "not interested". I'm just terrified about losing her as a friend...

Quote Originally Posted by Icecream-man
    ...when a stud-muffin like yourself could be out there breakin' hearts all over the "Live Free or Die" state...
    Aww, shucks Icecream... LOL!

"If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1981.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Ventura
    I guess the worst that can happen is she says "not interested". I'm just terrified about losing her as a friend...

If it's meant to be, it will happen.... good or bad. I was friends with a girl for about 3 years and it grew to the point where you are at now......I was in the same dilemma, afraid to tell her my true feelings, afraid to lose her as a friend
    It's a tough situation, but I followed my heart and told her how I felt.........

We've been together since 1996 and married since 2001
    Last edited by Greenpaw; 07.13.05 at 08:26 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpaw
    If it's meant to be, it will happen.... good or bad. I was friends with a girl for about 3 years and it grew to the point where you are at now......I was in the same dilemma, afraid to tell her my true feelings, afraid to lose her as a friend
    It's a tough situation, but I followed my heart and told her how I felt.........

We've been together since 1996 and married since 2001
    That just put a HUGE smile on my face!

Thanks, paw!!!

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

also, to add my 2 cents, if you are truly falling in love with her, you have no other option but to follow it. if you dont, you wont be real with her and the relationship wont grow anyways. and if she isnt interested, which im sure she is interested, you have to find out because you cant go back from love to like..

and i believe the best,strongest and most fulfilling romances/relationships start as friendships! mine has lasted 23 yrs so far!!

i cant wait til you tell her how you feel and the feeling you get when she returns the feeling!

i would suggest one thing though..i would avoid using the word "LOVE" right out of the gate...i would say "you are beginning to really have feelings for her that go beyond the typical friendship thing..and ask how that makes her feel" and smile warmly and look her in the eyes when you do, shut your hole and wait for her to respond...

god luck pal, nice days ahead for you two!!
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

They might be right,hmmmmm?

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Ventura
    That just put a HUGE smile on my face!

Thanks, paw!!!
    Some girls are attracted to the feminine type males.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by VH122
    Some girls are attracted to the feminine type males.
    You're funny.....

The smile was that of being inspired by someone who can relate to my situation.