Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Karaoke must die...

OK folks. I just lost another gig today to karaoke. The club signed a one-year, Fri/Sat/Sun contract with the devil.
    This is Satan's music. These poor people are playing into demonic hands by singing this crap.
    What can we as musicians do?
    SERIOUSLY. WHAT CAN WE DO?

I have contemplated sabotage via wire clippers but that would only be a momentary setback to these haters of music.

Do we have to start a bumper sticker campaign?
    Karaoke...
    The Devil's Music!

Enough is enough. What can we do to win?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

01.01.13 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Dude, that sucks!

I'm in a band myself and fortunately, we don't run into too much of this. A YEAR contract??? I can almost guarantee the club will be closed within a few months or under new management.

I wish I could offer you a solution. Unfortunately there are those out there who view this as "entertainment". More sophisticated listeners will always go for a live band. Perhaps targeting more "upscale" clubs and venues will provide a solution???
    "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you..." -Neil Young

"The sun's not yellow, it's chicken." -Bob Dylan

"If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1981.

Guy of Gisborne: Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
    Sheriff of Nottingham: Because it's DULL, you twit!!! It'll HURT MORE!!!

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:42 PM
    Liked 278 Times in 100 Posts

Donor

Simple. Learn to play stupid 70's and 80's pop and be a live karaoke band. Of course you could just hunt down the session musicians who produce that crap and beat 'em.
    Last edited by EVHWolf; 07.12.05 at 04:00 PM.
    For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge the New England Fucking Patriots, Dallas Fucking Cowboys, New York Fucking Giants, Washington Fucking Redskins, Carolina Fucking Panthers, Tampa Bay Fucking Bucs, Florida Fucking Marlins, Atlanta Fucking Braves, New York Fucking Mets, Boston Fucking Red Sox, Boston Fucking Bruins, and New Jersey Fucking Devils.

( . Y . ) Boobs!

\m/ \m/
    / / v \ \

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Perhaps the only way to kill karoakeeee is to: SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC!
    GO to gigs, big or small, bars, clubs or arenas.....just go.
    Just go for it!

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Isn't it obvious?
    Last Online

09.13.06 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfiddl
    OK folks. I just lost another gig today to karaoke. The club signed a one-year, Fri/Sat/Sun contract with the devil.
    This is Satan's music. These poor people are playing into demonic hands by singing this crap.
    What can we as musicians do?
    SERIOUSLY. WHAT CAN WE DO?

I have contemplated sabotage via wire clippers but that would only be a momentary setback to these haters of music.

Do we have to start a bumper sticker campaign?
    Karaoke...
    The Devil's Music!

Enough is enough. What can we do to win?
    I feel BAD for you, man! Really, I do. But karoake is FUN! There does need to be a mix of clubs with live music and bars with karaoke. Hope you find a better gig!
    Honey, I ain't through with you!

GO ILLINI!!!!!!!

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by blacknblue
    I feel BAD for you, man! Really, I do. But karoake is FUN! There does need to be a mix of clubs with live music and bars with karaoke. Hope you find a better gig!
    Fun? A better mix of clubs? A better gig?
    All mixes of clubs are doing this.
    And don't feel bad for me. I'm gigging and winning the battle but this appears to be a war with no exit strategy.
    Karaoke is just...bad. It's not natural. It's satanic.

Why would people listen to shitty karaoke singers all night but walk out on a shitty band? ?? ??

It's the dark side of the force man...

Last Online

02.14.09 @ 06:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

wow...

Quote Originally Posted by blacknblue
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I totally agree with this. I love live music better than listening to people who can't sing. But I have to admit, I had fun doing some karaoke in Vegas with a couple of my Redhead gal pals once.
    I did like three songs (not in a row) and the first two were alright, can't recall what they were...they were VH tunes I believe, but the THIRD one was Sammy's 'Serious JuJu'...and let me tell you folks, a few straight shots of Cabo Wabo Tequila is a GREAT confidence builder to help you get the gumption up to go up and sing, but a song like that is NOT easy when you've got a good buzz going! LOL!
    And to make matters WORSE, my friends paid the place the $10 they were charging to have this 'thing that I did' FILMED and put on DVD and presented it to me later. OMFG.....when I watched it after I was sober, I was ready to die. To this day, NOBODY KNOWS where that damned DVD is but ME...and I ain't tellin' where it is! LOL! I wanted to burn it (in the fireplace, literally), but my hubby ot such a kick outta it he wouldn't let me. When he watched it, he laughed so hard and embarassed me so bad, not even HE knows where I hid it! LMAO!

JA
    "I don't care if I never get another fan. I'm KEEPIN' all of these!" -S.H.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Sorry about the gig, man. I've been there before. My second-to-last band had to fight karaoke but we won. It's not impossible but it might be as simple as altering your set lists and changing them every time you play.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:02 PM
    Liked 1,347 Times in 924 Posts

I don't normally come in this forum, but when I saw the title on the main page I had to respond. Cyber, I know you're posting part out of frustration but also I know that it's where you stand. I have to disagree, though. Do I think every bar needs a karaoke host? No. But as someone who enjoys karaoke and some day hopes to maybe be a karaoke host, I feel I have as much right to enjoy what I do as you do. I wish I had the God-given talent to play an instrument, or at least the ability to sing and have stage presence and be able to play in a band, but I don't. But I do get a thrill out of singing in front of an audience, and it helps that it's an audience of mostly like-minded people - knowing that if I screw up, well, they probably will too. There are plenty of bars and lounges and clubs and bowling alleys out there looking for some form of entertainment, whether it be a live band or karaoke - there should be room for all of us. And just as there are plenty of shitty karaoke singers out there, there are also plenty of shitty live bands - don't be one of them!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:02 PM
    Liked 1,347 Times in 924 Posts

...not to mention that sometimes I go into a place and the live music is a guy with a guitar and an effects machine. How is that much different than what I'm doing? The only thing he's got is his guitar - everything else is canned just like it is in my world (except for the singing). Maybe if some of these one-man-bands got together and learned some new instruments they could form a proper band and there'd be even more gigs available to 'em.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

For my money, I'd much rather participate in a bunch of jack-asses trying to sing songs I know rather than watching a small group of jack-asses trying to play songs they wrote.

When I go out to a bar, I usually go for entertainment. Most live bands aren't all that great--particularly if they're trying to play originals. Sometimes you do come across a band that's both entertaining and skilled, but it's not that often. So many bands just don't have any personality. What would I like to see, and what do I enjoy? Something like the Velcro Pygmies. I haven't seen them in years, but you're probably familiar with them, cyberfiddl. They play a good mix of covers, toss in some listenable originals, put on an entertaining show. Most bands that you'll see in a bar--particularly on a weeknight--just can't do that.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

I just saw the Pygmies last night. Other than personnel, nothing has changed.

UPDATE: I just got in contact with a promoter new to town and he is opening a club strictly for rock and roll. Seven nights a week. Karaoke singers/hosts will be shot on sight.
    That's the music business. Feast or famine.
    Thanks for chiming in folks. I want to hear more comments about this. You won't change my mind though.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Damn.. this is a first, me posting in the musicians forum!!!

I tend to bend both ways on this subject... (no smutty comments please!! ) I really am one for supporting live music and giving bands a shot. Without the guys who do the club and bar circuit we all end up with the plastic wrapped crap that poisons the music channels. If a band is playing locally.. and is rock based, I'll go along.

However, I really enjoy a good karaoke night too where I can participate and have fun with friends. In fact I did just that on my birthday a couple of weeks ago. And I do a great Alanna Miles "Black Velvet"!!! he he he!
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL
    For my money, I'd much rather participate in a bunch of jack-asses trying to sing songs I know rather than watching a small group of jack-asses trying to play songs they wrote.

When I go out to a bar, I usually go for entertainment. Most live bands aren't all that great--particularly if they're trying to play originals. Sometimes you do come across a band that's both entertaining and skilled, but it's not that often. So many bands just don't have any personality.
    What he said.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!