Favorite VH Song

Currently: Panama
    Last Online

05.30.17 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Default Allergy Sufferers.....discuss.

Hey all,

I'm having a hard time finding information on the net (various med websites) about allergies. I have been a LONG time allergy sufferer since I can remember. I turn 32 in 6 days (still can't believe it) and I still don't know my allergies as well as I think I should. I have an excellent allergy doctor but a unique situation with my sinuses. I am allergic to juniper, dust mites, mold and various other trees/weeds. I have had sinusitis (sinus infections) off and on for years. I had one so bad for one year straight that I needed surgery to correct it and get rid of it. I had that surgery in 2001 and hadn't had a sinus infection since. I finally got one about 3 months ago and had antibiotics that actually cleared it up!!

About a week ago I woke up on a Saturday and felt like I had some pretty good allergies going on. I had the sensation of fullness in my sinuses and have had that going on for a week now. I saw my allergy doctor and he told me it was just extreme dryness (I live in Reno...VERY dry up here during the summer). It feels slowly like it's been clearing up. I'm just not sure if I am getting into a sinus infection or not. I've been blowing yellow out of my nose off and on throughout the day and I'm wondering if anyone else has had yellow mucous and NOT had a sinus infection. I'm not sure if allergies can cause this. My allergy doctor hasn't given me a straight answer and I am seeing him again tomorrow to possibly switch allergy meds (I'm on Nasonex and Claritin). I would like to try Zyrtec. Anyone use that?

Thanks for listening and I just wanted to start a thread where all of us allergy sufferers can talk about the good, the bad, and the fugly.

Thanks,

evans5150
    Thunder Mountain Brewing Company
    Owner and Brewmaster

Bottled: 2010 Imperial Bastard Stout (9.5% ABV)
    Bottled: 2011 Thunder Mountain Pale Ale (5.5% ABV)
    Fermenting: 2011 Thunder Mountain Irrish Ale (4.9% ABV)

"I'm just a normal jerk who happens to make music. As long as my brain and fingers work, I'm cool." -Eddie Van Halen, 1996

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 137 Times in 89 Posts

I've been using Claritin lately. Works pretty good.

Allergies suck.
    Dealing with it.

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

popped a Claritin today myself. i haven't gone through too many this year.

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've had them all my life. Some years were really bad, but it seems like the last couple weren't bad at all. In fact, this entire past school year, I think I only had to use antihistamines a handful of times. Maybe the bad allergies are going away as I get older. That would be nice.
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 04:35 AM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

They started to get to me about 10 years ago... The only med that works for me Allegra... I've tried everything that exists, and Allegra does the job 100%...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 137 Times in 89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by janthraxx
    I've had them all my life. Some years were really bad, but it seems like the last couple weren't bad at all. In fact, this entire past school year, I think I only had to use antihistamines a handful of times. Maybe the bad allergies are going away as I get older. That would be nice.
    That's me. When i was in school i had them really bad, but the older i've got the less they seem to hit me. This past weekend was real bad for some damn reason.
    Dealing with it.

Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Last Online

01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

My mother had bad allergy problems for decades. I have never had allergy/sinus problems UNTIL this year. As you folks already know, it drove me nuts. My DR prescribed Allegra. After the first 3 days, I called the DR and told him it wasn't working and he said "give it a little while longer"
    After week two I went back to the DR. He then prescribed "Allegra Plus". That did it! I've been taking it a month or so with no problems. Most DR's have free samples. Check it out if your current meds aren't working...
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

February 10, 1978...The day that changed the Rock N Roll guitar world!!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

11.25.14 @ 09:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

I too have had them bad all my life. When I was a kid, it was hell, as I was allergic to everything under the sun. Now that I'm older, they aren't as bad as they used to be. The only time they get bad is when I'm around rice dust-and living on a rice farm doesn't help. If I take my meds and get a shot prior to harvest, I'm usually good to go. Flonase and Advar work great for me.
    LSU Tigers 2003 & 2007 National Champs
    Detroit Pistons 2004 NBA Champs

If looks could kill, I'd stare at everybody!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:52 AM
    Liked 433 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

Never really had "allergies" until I got my deviated septum straightened out. Now I get the sniffles and sneeze more during the spring, but nothing to really warrant getting allergy shots or meds. I just take a decongestant (sp??) when it gets bad enough.
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being,5150,WhenIt'sLove
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

I take Zyrtec-D and Flonase on a daily basis. I've been a huge allergy sufferer for years and they worsened drastically once I moved to Houston. Since being on these two meds., I've had fewer sinus infections but it hasn't cleared them up completely. I've been on them since last Aug. Good luck. It's the biggest pain in my ass and I hate to be on regular medicine for anything...I hate to think what all this stuff is doing to my liver.
    Meet me in Cabo!

Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Last Online

01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ktgiles
    I take Zyrtec-D and Flonase on a daily basis. I've been a huge allergy sufferer for years and they worsened drastically once I moved to Houston. Since being on these two meds., I've had fewer sinus infections but it hasn't cleared them up completely. I've been on them since last Aug. Good luck. It's the biggest pain in my ass and I hate to be on regular medicine for anything...I hate to think what all this stuff is doing to my liver.
    Uh...How 'bout that trip coming up to Cabo?...I hate to think what all that stuff down there is going to do to your liver
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

February 10, 1978...The day that changed the Rock N Roll guitar world!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:04 AM
    Liked 4,810 Times in 2,455 Posts

Premium Member

Anybody have a recommondation for any over-counter stuff for itching?

I have something and my doctor gave me something that works (might have been Zyrtec) but I hate doctors and was wondering if I can buy something over the counter.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by axebrian
    Uh...How 'bout that trip coming up to Cabo?...I hate to think what all that stuff down there is going to do to your liver
    Yeah, but see it doesn't count b/c my mind AND my body will be on vacation (at least that's how I rationalize it! ) Actually, the problem (if you want to see it as a problem) is that you consume so much of the liver destroying stuff that you don't give a rat's ass WHAT it's doing to your body. It usually takes us about a month to dry out each year! You're not getting ready to go down to Cabo are you? I can't remember who it was that told me they were going to be down there the same time as us.

5 days and counting........................
    Meet me in Cabo!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls
    Anybody have a recommondation for any over-counter stuff for itching?

I have something and my doctor gave me something that works (might have been Zyrtec) but I hate doctors and was wondering if I can buy something over the counter.
    From my experience, the only thing over the counter that stops the itching is Benadryl. Unfortunately, you'll have to go to bed for about 6 hours after taking it (if you're anything like me). It's great if you had a sudden bad attack of hay fever like symptoms. Claritin is over the counter now, so you might try that. The prescription stuff is good b/c it's stronger but without the drowsy effects.
    Meet me in Cabo!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by voivod
    They started to get to me about 10 years ago... The only med that works for me Allegra... I've tried everything that exists, and Allegra does the job 100%...
    Allegra is the best! A doctor told me that Zyrtec and Claritan did not fare much better then the placebo they were tested with. Neither worked for me. I take Allegra daily and that has worked. Good luck with your allergies!
    Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top