Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MAC

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default MAC

Can someone explain to me why MAC is considered to be superior to Windows when it comes to graphics and video editing?

Thanks so much!

** I look forward to your response MikeL ** I know you are totally pro MAC.

Good Enough
    Last Online

06.29.07 @ 03:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EVH FANATIC
    Can someone explain to me why MAC is considered to be superior to Windows when it comes to graphics and video editing?

Thanks so much!

** I look forward to your response MikeL ** I know you are totally pro MAC.

I personally think "Final Cut Pro" is the best video editing program out for the money....and it only runs on Mac. I use it for all my video editing. I run photoshop for all my digital pic editing.....

It's a preferance for me...my mac doesn't crash right in the middle of an important edit. I have not had that same experience with a pc.
    From 3-13 to 10-6 and NFC South Champs.....go Saints!

My Hurricane Katrina pics

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

I think they're a lot more user friendly. I've got the same programs at home on a PC (that I have at work on my Mac) and I wanna put my fist thru the monitor. I don't use them at home anymore. If I couldn't use a Mac for my graphics, I'd switch careers.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Spend some time with iMovie, then spend some time with Windows Movie Maker. See if you can't answer your own question then. That's the consumer side of things, which is the only thing I'm familiar with when it comes to video editing.

Mac isn't an acronym.

Favorite VH Album

VHII, WACF, 5150
    Last Online

03.31.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

One of the first thing a beginner would notice would be that when you put any kind of disk into a Mac, it appears on your desktop. Finding ANYTHING is easier. I know that doesn't really answer the question, but I thought I'd mention that...
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to introduce the king of 10 fingers and six strings... Mr. Edward Van Halen!"

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:22 PM
    Liked 278 Times in 100 Posts

Donor

I have been an apple/Mac user since I was 5. I grew up on a Mac Plus and a Performa. I am 100% pro Mac and have worked in the video business, graphic design world, and radio. The only reason Mac is not where PC's are in the eyes of Joe Blow is that they did not sell out.
    For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge the New England Fucking Patriots, Dallas Fucking Cowboys, New York Fucking Giants, Washington Fucking Redskins, Carolina Fucking Panthers, Tampa Bay Fucking Bucs, Florida Fucking Marlins, Atlanta Fucking Braves, New York Fucking Mets, Boston Fucking Red Sox, Boston Fucking Bruins, and New Jersey Fucking Devils.

( . Y . ) Boobs!

\m/ \m/
    / / v \ \

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I suppose I can get a bit more specific about the consumer side of things. I haven't used many 3rd party video editing software apps, mostly because iMovie is so rich in features.

The beauty of what Apple has done is to elegantly bring together all aspects of home movie making. iMovie in and of itself is great, but the real ease of creation is found in having your photos and music readily accessible, and in being able to send the whole thing over to iDVD without any work at all. I should probably start with the basics, eh?

iLife is the software suite that contains iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, and Garage Band. iTunes should be self-explainatory. iPhoto manages all of your digital photos, much as iTunes manages your music library. iMovie was the first iApp, and lets you import and edit digital video. iDVD lets you take your projects and put them on a really nicely produced DVD. Garage Band is a music composition program.

iMovie has hooks built into it for the other apps. Say you want to add a photo to your movie. Just click on the Photos button and you see all of your pictures in your iPhoto library. Pick the one you want, and drag it into your movie. With Windows Movie Maker you've got to know where your photo is, then navigate to it and pick it out. That's pretty cumbersome compared to how Apple has arranged it. The same thing goes for adding music. Your iTunes library is right there, easily accessible.

Not only that, but iMovie is just a better editing program. It's possible to make pro-quality work on it. It's incredibly versatile. To give you an example, early this year my director was giving a presentation to an association. He wanted to wow them, so he asked me to come up with something. I took 100 or so photos of the association members over the past 25 years or so, and made a movie out of them. With Windows Movie Maker it would have been just a slide show set to music. With iMovie, I was able to use the "Ken Burns Effect" to pan and zoom around the photos. That takes a relatively bland photo and lets you draw the eye to various parts of the picture. Add in some great effects and transitions, and you've got something that's actually interesting to watch!

iDVD is pretty cool, too. For the past couple of years I've been scanning old family photos. It's a mind numbing task, but it was worth it. Once I had all 4,000 some photos scanned and into iPhoto, I spent a few days organizing them. After that I created some nice photo DVDs that I gave away at Christmas. The quality of what you can produce is really amazing, and it's so simple. The work is in preparing the materials, rather than in using the programs. Most people don't think about that when buying a computer, and they struggle with actually using the programs. They just don't know any better.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

09.29.05 @ 10:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First off...Genghis_John has been buried forever...tacky name. Anyways, I'm back as the Spirit of 76!

As for the Mac, I went 100% Macintosh after finally getting fed up with the blue screen of death and countless bugs in windows software. It finally got to be where the frustration of working with video editing software on my windows machine forced me to look for alternatives. Mac was the way to go. Very simple to use. Customizable. Reliable. I used to play a lot of computer games on windows machines. However, since the Xbox came out, there is no real reason to play on a windows machine. Ironic, since I disassembled my windows machine this morning and put it into storage.

IMO, graphics look amazing on a Macintosh monitor. I have a G5 imac. I love it and will not go back.
    Last edited by Spirit of 76; 07.11.05 at 03:26 PM.

Last Online

01.17.16 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I currently use Windows XP Pro for all of my Video Editting/Photoshop and don't have any issues with it. I have never seen the blue screen of death on my Home PC that I use for Video editting! Windows isn't as bad as a lot of Mac users say it is. You just have to know what you are doing or take the time to figure it out. XP is very user friendly, not quite as friendly as Mac's OS X, but still very managable.
    That being said, Apple's G5s are the best computers you can buy right now. They took all of the bottle necks in a PC's design and opened them up wide. G5s simply scream!!! I would love to be able to purchase a G5 Desktop, but right now I have too much invested in PCs.
    "One volume knob and one pickup ? that's all there is to it. No fancy tone knobs over here!" -EVH

Good Enough
    Last Online

06.29.07 @ 03:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just picked up an ibook with superdrive...SWEET!!!!!!!!
    From 3-13 to 10-6 and NFC South Champs.....go Saints!

My Hurricane Katrina pics

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

IMO, Macs are just smoother in every way and much more intuitive. I've
    edited professionally on both, and PCs just seem like toys to me in
    comparison.

Now let's play "When are the Intel chips going to appear in the G5s?"

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I wanted a G5 so badly earlier this year. I'm glad I held off a bit. I can string the old G4 along for a couple of years.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:44 PM
    Liked 591 Times in 362 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL
    I wanted a G5 so badly earlier this year. I'm glad I held off a bit. I can string the old G4 along for a couple of years.
    We bought a couple G5's for the office when they were released. Pretty sweet.

In my experience, anyone who has gotten to know both Macs and PCs prefers Macs hands down. I could never go back to Windows.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I wouldn't scrub my cat's ass with a copy of Windows...Mac rules the world!!
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by SactoFan
    I wouldn't scrub my cat's ass with a copy of Windows...
    I for one would like to see you try and accomplish that task.