Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Need Help Choosing Engagement Ring

Hey everyone, I will be purchasing a diamond engagement ring soon. My plan is to buy it online to avoid paying sales tax, ill just put that money into the diamond itself. Im expecting to pay around $2500-$3000, .50 ct up to .75 ct, good color and clarity, round cut, etc.

I found this site, it's really easy to navigate but I don't know anything about who to trust on-line with something like this, maybe these guys are crooks.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond_sear...d=1&set_shape=

Basically I need some pointers as to where to look and what to look out for, or anything else you feel like explaining to me, feel free to dumb it down to whatever level you feel is necessary.
    Last edited by willy4pres; 07.08.05 at 08:46 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being,5150,WhenIt'sLove
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

First thing, find out if your lady prefers yellow or white gold, or platinum. A LOT of women are wanting white gold/platinum these days.
    Meet me in Cabo!

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I buy a lot of stuff online. Almost everything, actually. That said, an engagement ring is probably one of the few things I wouldn't buy online. You want such an important and symbolic gift to be perfect for her. Better to shop together and pick something out in person, I think.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

It's white gold.

I was going to try and find an antique band but that proved nearly impossible. Then I decided on an antique style band, but changed my mind. Now im back to a normal white gold band with no diamond inlays, pretty simple.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL
    I buy a lot of stuff online. Almost everything, actually. That said, an engagement ring is probably one of the few things I wouldn't buy online. You want such an important and symbolic gift to be perfect for her. Better to shop together and pick something out in person, I think.
    I have been getting that a lot, but for some reason I want this to be my gift to her. She told me she wants a round cut and a simple band, so my way of thinking is that I want to get the best quality according to what she wants. Plus I want there to be some kind of suprise aspect to this, I don't want her to know exactly what it's going to look like, but I want it to be great. When you say you buy stuff online, are we talking about jewlery? If so where do you like to shop Mike? I went around the town I live in (Yuma Arizona) but there all overpriced (as usual), one of the stores tried to sell me a .60 ct I (color) SI2 (clarity) for over $3000.00! Sams Club (it feels wrong looking for a diamond engagement ring there for some reason) has a .50 I VS2 for $1800, but all there ring's are I in color, so they all look great, better then any of the other I types I have seen, but that's probably because I can't compare them with a G. This is all very frustrating!

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

09.18.12 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Techbargains.com has a coupon (or at least they did) for Bluenile.com. I've been shopping there lately too looking for about the same thing your are. From what I've read, they are quite reputable.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

02.10.10 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unless you are wanting this to be a surprise. Let her help you pick this out.I do know that you will probably the best stone at a privately owned store as compared to a chain. The stone won't be as big, but the quality will be there as well as the customer service.
    "Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
    --Mark Twain

There's no one as smart as a gambler at the track putting thier last $10.00 on the longest shot of the day.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by willy4pres
    I have been getting that a lot, but for some reason I want this to be my gift to her. She told me she wants a round cut and a simple band, so my way of thinking is that I want to get the best quality according to what she wants. Plus I want there to be some kind of suprise aspect to this, I don't want her to know exactly what it's going to look like, but I want it to be great.
    Willy, let me tell you from experience and other married dudes will agree...You'll have plenty of opportunities to surprise the wife and knock it out of the park. Go pick together, get what she really wants...and you may not even have to spend all that dough...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

I'd say get it on your own and surprise her. IMO, it's what makes the ring special.... You went and bought it on your own, regardless if it's $500 or $5000, that's not the point, it's what it symbolizes. You have the general idea of what she wants anyway, that's plenty to work with.

If she picks it out herself, then what's the point, what's special about the ring? You might as well just hand over your credit card and tell her to go nuts and completely cut yourself out of the process.

Just my 2 cents....

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Pick it out together. This is something she'll wear the rest of your lives together. If simple is what she wants, that's cool...but make sure she has seen all the options, then pick the one that you like most out of the options she has given you. That way you know that she's getting a ring that she picked out, but she won't know which one it is. You still have the element of surprize.
    Last edited by RRMB; 07.08.05 at 11:49 AM.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I've never purchased jewelry online, Willy. Heck, I can probably count the pieces of jewelry that I've purchased on one hand!

I guess all I can suggest is doing a lot of research about the vendor before you buy.

Sinner's Swing! chewbaccamonkeylunch's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning and Balance (Tie)
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Dear Brother Willy,

I've heard of these guys before. They might be something worth checking out.

www.diamondsdirect.com

Whatever the band is, she can always have the diamond mounted on something else if she doesn't like it. White gold and platinum might not be 'in' in 10 years and all. It's the diamond that lasts forever (or whatever that commercial says). Sounds like you are on the right path!
    The trashman was my hero.......
    -Seenbad

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I can't help quoting one of my favorite Rothisms in response to this thread:

"There are three rings to marriage: the engagement ring, the wedding ring and the suffering." -- DLR

Seriously, congrats on the upcoming engagement. I share the opinions of many here that most women would probably prefer to be surprised in other ways. If you end up getting something she doesn't like, it's going to be REALLY hard for her to tell you she wants to return it.

One option is to go ring shopping with her, but without picking "the one." Get a feel for her likes, dislikes, and her expectations. Then, go out on your own and get something you know she'll like. This will preserve most of the surprise element, while still giving you more of a basis for making the right call.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Garibaldi
    Techbargains.com has a coupon (or at least they did) for Bluenile.com. I've been shopping there lately too looking for about the same thing your are. From what I've read, they are quite reputable.
    Bluenile is a client of mine and I can tell you that they are some pretty ethical and upstanding folks. I can vouch for their character, but I've never seen their product.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Sinner's Swing! chewbaccamonkeylunch's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning and Balance (Tie)
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad