F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:24 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Default 2005 Hurricane Thread

Everyone in the Gulf Coast area, be careful!!!!

Hurricane Dennis 'extremely dangerous'
    Eastern Cuba feels storm's wrath; lower Florida Keys evacuated

Friday, July 8, 2005; Posted: 9:11 a.m. EDT (13:11 GMT)
    MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- Hurricane Dennis lashed eastern Cuba on Friday as forecasters warned the storm could strengthen as it passes over the Caribbean island and moves into the Gulf of Mexico's warm waters.

Dennis is already a powerful Category 4 storm, with maximum sustained winds of 140 mph (225 kph), the National Hurricane Center in Miami said.

As of 8 a.m. ET, the hurricane was centered about 230 miles (370 kilometers) southeast of Havana, Cuba, and about 285 miles (460 kilometers) south-southeast of Key West, Florida.

Dennis was moving northwest at about 12 mph (19 kph), and its eye was expected to reach central Cuba later Friday.

The three-day forecast shows the storm could affect the U.S. Gulf Coast, anywhere from southwest Florida to southeast Louisiana.

On its current path, projected landfall would be along the Florida Panhandle near Pensacola on Sunday evening, though such predictions usually change due to the unpredictable behavior of hurricanes.

"The whole Florida Gulf Coast and even over to Alabama and Mississippi -- they need to pay very, very close attention to Hurricane Dennis," National Hurricane Center Director Max Mayfield said Thursday.

At Category 4, forecasters characterized Dennis as "extremely dangerous," capable of causing extensive damage and flooding. The most destructive hurricane class is Category 5.

"The eye is expected to remain over very warm water for about 12 more hours before landfall in Cuba, so additional strengthening is possible," forecasters said in a statement earlier Friday.

"Some slight weakening may occur over Cuba, but Dennis is forecast to remain as a dangerous Category 4 hurricane while in the Gulf of Mexico. ... This hurricane will likely cause devastation along its path."

Last year, Hurricane Ivan caused significant damage in the same area of the Gulf Coast.

Declaring an emergency and mobilizing state resources, Florida Gov. Jeb Bush said Dennis threatens a "major disaster" in a state still recovering from four hurricane strikes last year.

With the center of Dennis expected to pass west of Key West early Saturday, officials in Monroe County ordered a mandatory evacuation for residents of the lower islands, from the Seven Mile Bridge to Key West. Visitors and nonresidents had been told to leave earlier.

A hurricane warning was in effect for the lower Florida Keys from the Seven Mile Bridge west to the Dry Tortugas. The warning means hurricane conditions are forecasted in the area within 24 hours. The hurricane center urged people to rush preparations to protect life and property, forecasting 4 inches to 8 inches of rain and a storm surge of 3 feet to 6 feet around the low-lying islands.

With the storm's approach, other watches and warnings for parts of Florida also were issued:

A tropical storm warning and hurricane watch are in effect for the upper Florida Keys, east of the Seven-Mile Bridge to Ocean Reef, and Florida Bay, which means tropical storm conditions are expected within the next 24 hours and hurricane conditions are possible within the next 36 hours.

A tropical storm warning is also in effect for the southwest and southeast Florida coasts, which means tropical storm conditions are expected within the next 24 hours. On the Gulf side, the watch extends northward to Bonita Beach in Lee County and includes Naples; on the Atlantic Coast side, it extends up to Golden Beach and includes Miami.

A tropical storm watch is in effect for the Florida Gulf Coast from Bonita Beach northward to Longboat Key, near the mouth of Tampa Bay, which means tropical storm conditions are possible within the next 36 hours.

At the Kennedy Space Center, about 200 miles (322 kilometers) north of Miami on the Atlantic, NASA managers will decide by noon Friday whether to roll the space shuttle Discovery off its launch pad and back into an assembly building.

Doing so could delay Wednesday's launch of Discovery, which would end a nearly 2 1/2-year break in the shuttle program that followed the Columbia disaster.

In Cuba, the U.S. Naval Station at Guantanamo Bay closed its airport Thursday and prepared an evacuation plan but declined to provide details. A detention facility at Guantanamo houses about 520 prisoners from 44 countries, most of them captured during the U.S.-led war in Afghanistan against al Qaeda and its allies.

Dennis could dump 5 inches to 10 inches of rain on Haiti, Jamaica, Cuba and the Cayman Islands, with up to 15 inches possible in isolated areas of Cuba's Sierra Maestra mountains, raising the possibility of life-threatening floods and mudslides, forecasters said.

The storm surge is expected to be 5 feet to 7 feet along the Cuban coast east of Cabo Cruz, but the surge could reach 20 feet in coastal areas to the west, forecasters warned.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

FW, ADKoT, VH1, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, Blood & Fire, ATBL
    Last Online

01.06.13 @ 08:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Didn't this sh*t just end?!?
    "The music of Van Halen is vital."-David Lee Roth-1978

VH Shows....
    10-22-1988 - Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
    10-15-1991 - Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
    10-16-1991 - Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
    04-28-1995 - Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
    05-24-1998 - Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
    09-09-2004 - Tampa Forum - Tampa, FL
    02-14-2008 - Amway Arena - Orlando, FL
    05-09-2008 - Boardwalk Hall - Atlantic City, NJ
    04-12-2012 - Amway Center - Orlando, FL

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

01.23.14 @ 12:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have family in Gulf Shores Al. and this is heading thier way.....

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

01.23.14 @ 12:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here is the latest path this thing is supposed to take....

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

02.10.10 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I sure have been watching this. map57 I will keep your family in my prayers. This is a very early hurricane. It's amazing that it's a 4 on top of everything.

Though our common sense says it will never happen, everyone here is hoping it doesn't do a Charlie on us here in Fl. We're a bit gun shy from last year. I have friends in Punta Gorda right where Charlie came on land.
    "Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
    --Mark Twain

There's no one as smart as a gambler at the track putting thier last $10.00 on the longest shot of the day.

Good Enough
    Last Online

06.29.07 @ 03:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"...I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."
    From 3-13 to 10-6 and NFC South Champs.....go Saints!

My Hurricane Katrina pics

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    "...I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."
    Quick! Hurricane Dennis has made a huge mistake by posting at this message board... ban him now and end the threat!

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Shark
    Quick! Hurricane Dennis has made a huge mistake by posting at this message board... ban him now and end the threat!

Too late GS!! Mwhaaaaaaaa!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Doesn't that mean this should be hitting the terrorist not us? How ya doing fella?

That thing is hitting Cuba at 150mph. Those poor folks sure need our prayers. So many of them live in substandard housing. It always amazes me that so many of them live through these storms.
    "Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
    --Mark Twain

There's no one as smart as a gambler at the track putting thier last $10.00 on the longest shot of the day.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sunya
    Doesn't that mean this should be hitting the terrorist not us? How ya doing fella?

That thing is hitting Cuba at 150mph. Those poor folks sure need our prayers. So many of them live in substandard housing. It always amazes me that so many of them live through these storms.

Hey Sunya!

This storm is a monster....I read a report about it hitting some of the small islands off shore from Cuba and it was devastating. The islands down there are so deforrested. There is nothing to buffet the islands...everything's turning into mud.

Hurricane Dennis reminds me of Hurricane Camile. Camile hit the Central Gulf Coast with over 200mph sustained winds.....scary. My thoughts are with whoever has to live through it.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Shark
    Quick file motion or something! That'll fix it.
    --Mark Twain

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    Hey Sunya!

This storm is a monster....I read a report about it hitting some of the small islands off shore from Cuba and it was devastating. The islands down there are so deforrested. There is nothing to buffet the islands...everything's turning into mud.

Hurricane Dennis reminds me of Hurricane Camile. Camile hit the Central Gulf Coast with over 200mph sustained winds.....scary. My thoughts are with whoever has to live through it.
    No joke. There are still people living in goverment trailers around here waiting for help from last year. There is still blue tarp on roof tops and rivers, lakes and ponds are over full and flooding just from regular rain fall. I don't want to see anyone get hit with a storm like this. The effects are horrible. People who die from these storms usually die from the after effects more than the storms themselves. We helped with clean up down here and taking supplies to others. The need for food, water, ice, medical and shelter is huge. We have a lot of illegals here in the area and it was wonderful to hear Gov Bush time after time tell them to come in and get help. That no one cared what thier name was or that if they were here legally or not. No one would do anytime to hurt them and no one would take thier names. Please just come get the help they needed. They could have anything they needed. I know it was what he or any other Gov should do, but it still was good to hear.

People suffer for years from these storms. Insurance screws with people every way they can from these storms it's just sad. It was really bad here last year because people had to meet 3 deductables within such a short time. Everyone saw the damage on the coasts but they didn't see the damage here in the county I live in. Three of the storms cross right on top of us. Two of the storm were still a 3 when they went over my home. We have so many migrant workers here in this area and they have such horrible living conditions. And this is a big retirement area also and they live in a lot of mobile home parks. There was a lot of damage. It really was heart breaking to see how they faired.
    --Mark Twain

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How are you folks in the Tampa area doing? You guys have been getting some really bad storms today? I know you've had several tornados and high winds. I'm clear in the middle of the state and we have had rain and wind off and on all day.

The folks in Pensacola and Gulf Shores area are in this things sights big time. It's back up to a 3 and they said it might get back up to a 4. My prayers are sure with those folks up there.

map57 have you talked to your family up there? I hope they are safe.
    --Mark Twain

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

I really hope that this thread does not get too big!! Ya know what I mean???
    Get out of the path now...it seems like Sunday is the day for Dennis.
    Just go for it!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:24 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Dennis might hit Gulf Coast within hours
    Category 4 storm 'very, very dangerous'

Sunday, July 10, 2005; Posted: 11:26 a.m. EDT (15:26 GMT)

MOBILE, Alabama (CNN) -- A "very, very dangerous" Hurricane Dennis aimed for the northeastern Gulf of Mexico on Sunday, and the center of the Category 4 storm is expected to hit along the Alabama-Florida coast sometime in the late afternoon.

"This is going to be a destructive hurricane," said Ed Rappaport of the Miami-based National Hurricane Center.

According to the Saffir-Simpson scale of strength, a Category 4 hurricane has winds from 131 mph to 155 mph and can cause extreme damage.

Max Mayfield, director of the hurricane center, said Dennis is unusually strong for a hurricane this early in the season.

"This is a very, very dangerous hurricane," Mayfield said. "No matter where this hurricane makes landfall, it's going to have a big, big impact over a very large area."

Dangerous storm surges will cover barrier islands and push into many bays from Alabama to Florida, Mayfield said.

Dennis is stronger than Hurricane Ivan -- a Category 3 storm which pounded the Gulf Coast after it came ashore last September near Gulf Shores, Alabama.

The hurricane center predicts Dennis, which has been blamed for up to 32 deaths in Haiti and Cuba, will make landfall Sunday between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. ET between Pensacola, Florida, and Mobile, Alabama.

At 11 a.m. ET Sunday, Dennis was centered 125 miles southeast of Mobile, Alabama, and 80 miles south-southeast of Pensacola, Florida. The hurricane is moving north-northwest at near 18 mph. Its maximum sustained winds were at 140 mph. The storm was expected to keep turning to the north-northwest as it approached shore.

Some 10 million Americans are potentially in Dennis' path, federal officials said.

A hurricane warning is in effect from Florida's Ochlockonee River west to the mouth of the Pearl River at the Mississippi-Louisiana border.

Rappaport said Dennis differs from Ivan.

"It's different in two ways," Rappaport said. "One, it's smaller than Ivan, but two, it is stronger. There'll be much more destruction from the wind and the storm surge right in near the center of the hurricane, but not as much damage on the outside."

Ivan was blamed for at least 56 deaths in the United States and more than 60 in Jamaica and Grenada, and it left billions of dollars in damage.

A tropical storm warning for the lower Florida Keys, which remained in effect until Sunday morning, was canceled.

The hurricane center predicts nearly a foot of rain is possible in some parts of the Gulf Coast where the hurricane makes landfall. The center's advisory noted that storm surges could reach 12 to 14 feet, with large battering waves.

The hurricane center said Dennis would be the earliest Category 4 hurricane to hit the United States since Hurricane Audrey struck the Louisiana and Texas coasts in June 1957, The Associated Press reported. The center has no record of a Category 4 storm ever hitting Florida's Panhandle or Alabama.

In Mobile, Alabama, Mayor Mike Dow said most residents had evacuated his city, many due to lessons learned from Hurricane Ivan.

"You're here for a decade or two and the storms miss and you probably don't feel that sense of anxiety," Dow said. "But since Ivan, everyone feels that it's real."

At least half a million people had already left the Alabama coastal area, officials said. Interstate 65 north to Montgomery was temporarily turned into a four-lane highway heading north out of Mobile, but later returned to two-way traffic.

As for what comes next, Dow said, "We're as prepared as we can be. We're prepared for the aftermath."

In Florida, Matthew Lopez, director of Emergency Management in Pensacola's Escambia County said, "I think we're about the most prepared division of emergency management in the state of Florida right now."

"We issued the evacuation order at 6 on Friday," Lopez said, " 'evacuation' to people after Ivan means, 'Get out of Dodge.' "

Ivan also threatens a stretch of Interstate 10, which runs from Jacksonville across the Panhandle and further west. The Florida Highway Patrol closed the Escambia Bay Bridge in Pensacola when winds topped 35 mph. Repairs to the bridge from damage caused by Ivan are not yet complete.

In Mississippi, a curfew for Harrison County was ordered for noon Sunday for an area that includes Biloxi, D'Iberville, Gulfport, Long Beach and Pass Christian, emergency management officials said.

The county ordered mandatory evacuations Saturday for most of the county and for "mobile homes and any structure that cannot withstand winds of 80 miles per hour." Authorities also "strongly" recommended evacuation for the rest of the county, it said in a news release.

Haiti and Cuba
    In Haiti, the aid agency Concern Worldwide said it had confirmed at least five people had been killed in the storm, but said it believed the accuracy of local reports of 22 dead.

The 10 dead reported in Cuba were located in the eastern part of the island, authorities said.

Many of the 1.4 million evacuees in Cuba began to return home Saturday afternoon, despite a lack of electricity in most areas. Many had sought shelter in schools, hospitals, government buildings and relatives' homes.

Power had not yet been re-established in Havana as of Saturday morning. Emergency teams there began clearing streets of downed trees, branches and lightposts.

The hurricane center said 3 to 6 more inches of rain was possible across central Cuba and "could produce life-threatening flash floods and mudslides."
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.