Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

All of Them
    Last Online

02.22.14 @ 05:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Up for Breakfast !!!!!!

I just listened to this song at maximum volume and it kicks ASS!!!! Eddie has got a kick ass groove going on and I love the thumping Keyboard thru out the tune. It is a really underrated piece of music (Lyrics not considered)

Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies/Mean Street
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:02 PM
    Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts

Premium Member

I agree and always have. The song is kick ass. And while the lyrics may be lacking, I still enjoy having a good ole sing along to it every now and then.
    Cream in my coffee indeed!
    Last edited by Infinite Cactus; 07.06.05 at 12:16 AM.
    Van Halen Reunion Tour
    Louisville, Kentucky July 6th, 2004
    "It's a little hot in here tonight!"

Van Halen 2012 Tour
    Louisville, Kentucky February 28th, 2012

Van Halen 2015 Tour
    Noblesville, Indiana September 2nd 2015

Assistant Director of Personnel
    The 3 Brigade

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,161 Times in 8,975 Posts

Betcha if someone was to privately ask Sammy he would wish he could have that one back to write all over again. That is a kick ass song that is pretty much ruined by his third grade sexual innuendo that has been done only about five million times in rock music.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

All (Yes, even "VH 3").
    Favorite VH Song

All (except "How Many Say I")
    Last Online

08.31.17 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts

I still find it extremely funny that so many people slam Sammy for his lyrics and use the excuse that "it's cheesy" or "It's over done sexual innuendo".

Everything about DLR is about sexual innuendo, but a great many VH fans consider all of Dave's lyrics to be poetry or something. It's not a knock on DLR, it's just funny how there are different rules for different lead singers.

As it relates to "Up For Breakfast" specifically, I don't think it's any better or worse lyrically than "Poundcake". And it's definately better than either of the lrics that DLR wrote for "Me Wise Magic" or "Can't Get This Stuff No More".
    "Question is,not does love exist,but when,she leaves,where she goes. I got a feeling she don't know either. Wait like the wind,watch where she blows..."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:48 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 44 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by atomicpunk5150
    I still find it extremely funny that so many people slam Sammy for his lyrics and use the excuse that "it's cheesy" or "It's over done sexual innuendo".

Everything about DLR is about sexual innuendo, but a great many VH fans consider all of Dave's lyrics to be poetry or something. It's not a knock on DLR, it's just funny how there are different rules for different lead singers.

As it relates to "Up For Breakfast" specifically, I don't think it's any better or worse lyrically than "Poundcake". And it's definately better than either of the lrics that DLR wrote for "Me Wise Magic" or "Can't Get This Stuff No More".
    Not true. Roth gets his knocks for cheese writing as well for songs like "Hot Dog and a Shake". UFB lyrically is lame. Clearly Roth is more crafty in his writing especially the 2 songs you cited. I don't agree.
    Last edited by Rocket; 07.06.05 at 07:14 AM.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

12.23.05 @ 12:07 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

I find it funny that before this song was even released Sam said it was one of the funniest lyrics he had written saying it was a fun song, he never claimed it to be anything but a fun song, so here we are again complaining about his lyrics..
    "So what's your story? Any tread left on the tires? Or is it like throwing a hotdog down a hallway?" Stewie Griffin

Detroit Red Wings

GP 34 Record: 22-9-3

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:39 AM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

I love this song. It's not supposed to be deep, it's supposed to be fun. The lyrics and the music have a cool groove. It's not as cool as Poundcake but it's still a really cool song.

One thing I remember from an interview is that Sammy had a different set of lyrics ready to go for this and Eddie asked him to re-write them, he wanted something "like Poundcake" so who knows what this song was supposed to be.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,161 Times in 8,975 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by atomicpunk5150

Jesus H. Christ!

Can someone make one comment about a specific song written by Sam and not be labeled as someone "slamming Sammy". Isn't a person able to like what Sam did with Learning to See, but think that Up for Breakfast was written by a thirteen year old pre pubescent teenager?

There are no different rules for singers here. I cringe whenever I hear Stand Up! or Hot Dog and a Shake and some other songs written by Dave. And guess what, I am still a fan of Dave's work.

A lot of people on this site just ASSUME that if you make a single negative comment about anybody in this freaking band that it is slamming. If we can't gather together as fans and talk about what songs, albums, and shows that we like and dislike and why we lie/dislike them, then what the hell are we here for?

Not a sermon, just a thought.
    Last edited by Dave's Dreidel; 07.06.05 at 08:36 AM.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Top Of The World
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The music is outstanding, the lyrics are lame. Utterly lame.

About comparing the Dave retrospective....I feel Can't Get This Stuff No More is on par with Learning To See....both are musically fantastic and have some of the best lyrics from a VH frontman. I would clump IAT, Me Wise Magic and UFB in the same colective "who cares" category. All three basically have half-ass lyrics applied to musical superiority and leave you with the "I waited x-years for this" feeling.

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 630 Times in 294 Posts

I just bought a new car a few weeks ago. It has a 6 speaker Bose system in it. Up For Breakfast definately moved up a few notches after hearing it through the new system!
    VH RULES!
    21 Shows Attended 1993-2015

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 414 Times in 249 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VHFRK5150
    The music is outstanding, the lyrics are lame. Utterly lame.

About comparing the Dave retrospective....I feel Can't Get This Stuff No More is on par with Learning To See....both are musically fantastic and have some of the best lyrics from a VH frontman. I would clump IAT, Me Wise Magic and UFB in the same colective "who cares" category. All three basically have half-ass lyrics applied to musical superiority and leave you with the "I waited x-years for this" feeling.
    To be quite honest with you when I first heard IAT on the radio the day it was released I was a bit surprised at Ed's solo in the song. It can't be more than 10 seconds and it really wasn't that great after hearing him and Sammy say that he's playing better than ever. Of course he surely did make up for it on LTS and UFB. and Eddie does what he wants so I understand that. But I was more impressed with Sammy's voice on IAT then Eddie's guitar work. However that main riff is probably one of the best Ed has ever thought of. The beginning of that song is instantly recognizable.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

01.03.07 @ 12:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Alex on LWAN

I am currently watching LWAN and I forgot how kick ass Alex's drum solo was!!!

I am a guitar guy but I am amazed how good he is...damn he can play.
    (.)(.)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

01.03.07 @ 12:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ArtVandelay
    I am currently watching LWAN and I forgot how kick ass Alex's drum solo was!!!

I am a guitar guy but I am amazed how good he is...damn he can play.
    Whoops...I put this in the wrong place, sorry!!!

Favorite VH Album

All (Yes, even "VH 3").
    Favorite VH Song

All (except "How Many Say I")
    Last Online

08.31.17 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel
    Jesus H. Christ!

Can someone make one comment about a specific song written by Sam and not be labeled as someone "slamming Sammy". Isn't a person able to like what Sam did with Learning to See, but think that Up for Breakfast was written by a thirteen year old pre pubescent teenager?

There are no different rules for singers here. I cringe whenever I hear Stand Up! or Hot Dog and a Shake and some other songs written by Dave. And guess what, I am still a fan of Dave's work.

A lot of people on this site just ASSUME that if you make a single negative comment about anybody in this freaking band that it is slamming. If we can't gather together as fans and talk about what songs, albums, and shows that we like and dislike and why we lie/dislike them, then what the hell are we here for?

Not a sermon, just a thought.
    Fair enough. Maybe "slamming" wasn't the right choice of words. And while I do agree with you regarding "Stand Up!", I happen to have always liked "Hot Dog And A Shake".
    "Question is,not does love exist,but when,she leaves,where she goes. I got a feeling she don't know either. Wait like the wind,watch where she blows..."

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Love the song, always have. The music...the lyrics.....it feels like a four-minute-and-fifty-four-second party where the girls are taking off their tops and rubbing whipped cream on them.

LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!