Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Banned!
    Last Online

06.26.09 @ 12:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Be Honest - Who Got Their Most Recent Job, But Lied On Their Resume

Hey All,

They say everyone lies on their resume or embellishes. Who here is actually working a job, where you had lied on the resume or had your friends act as a "reference" for you - pretending they were your former boss. I am curious to know of any extreme resume lying, but you actually got hired anyway.

Hey Man

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

07.09.11 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm currently job hunting at the moment, in fact I just had 2 interviews this morning. When they ask you specific questions like, "Can you recall a time when...and give an example"...in some of those questions, I twisted some truth in my examples and that's about it. Also, I somewhat lied about my previous salary just so I could land a bigger one in the next job I land.
    Bobby Cohn: Who's going to be at Waynestock?
    Wayne Campbell: Um, uh...Aerosmith & Pearl Jam!
    Garth Algar: Ha ha ha ha ho!
    Bobby: Who else?
    Garth: Uh, me...and...and Wayne...
    Wayne: ...and uh...VAN HALEN!!!
    Garth: Wow. Van Halen. Who else?
    Bobby: Yeah, who else?
    Wayne: Uh, an old man fashioning a kayak out of a log?

- Wayne's World 2

"God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time." - Robin Williams

"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential." - Winston Churchill

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.16.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

During my interview at Wal Mart, the manager asked me a bunch of questions about situations at my last job. I totally made every answer up. Now, I'm a cashier.

Last Online

08.11.17 @ 05:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Don't embellish too much, or you could get caught and not get the job.

The company I work for, and many others, are starting to do extensive background checks before offers are made.

We do the following-

1) Criminal
    2) Driving record (company vehicle)
    3) Education verification
    4) Credit check

We do not call any references- who's going to give a bad one?

We no longer contact previous employers. Anymore, previous employers are not giving information out like they used to. In fact, if someone from another company contacts me regarding one of our previous employees, I'm not supposed to comment at all.

The biggest "embellishment" we see is education. Degrees are claimed but in fact the potential employee has not earned one. Had two cases the last year where the person lied about having a degree. In both cases, they did in fact attend the college or university, but didn't graduate. They were elimated because of this.

The hell of it is, we don't require a degree for the job! In both cases, these people would have been hired if they hadn't lied about this.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

I've embellished that's for sure. I put an application in for a job several years ago, and I told them I could weld. I hadn't done any welding since about my sophomore year in high school, and I wasn't very good at it then. Once I got hired, I told them it had been several years, and that I might need a refresher. They took it easy on me, thank God, and I was able to get a pretty good feel for welding, with both stick and mig welders. I never got to practice much with a tig welder, but I never really wanted to be a welder much anyway. That would be my biggest embellishment for a job. I did know how to read blueprints very well though, so I think they actually stuck with me for that reason. In fact, I had to point things out to the more experienced workers on a regular basis. On one occasion actually pointing out that the assembler was reading the print upside down! He said "Thanks"
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Lem Motlow
    We do not call any references- who's going to give a bad one?
    This is illegal in California anyhow...You can't even tell a new employer if the person was eligible for rehire anymore, which you could do in the early 90's out here...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Unchained
    Last Online

11.01.15 @ 04:47 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lem Motlow
    The biggest "embellishment" we see is education. Degrees are claimed but in fact the potential employee has not earned one. Had two cases the last year where the person lied about having a degree. In both cases, they did in fact attend the college or university, but didn't graduate. They were elimated because of this.
    This happened to a guy I used to work with. He'd attended college for a while but never earned his degree. However, he was kind of a hot-shit coder/software architect, so our company didn't pursue/investigate. Later we were acquired by a large investment bank and they did extensive background checks on everyone. If they found that you'd lied about any of your experience they canned you -- which is exactly what happened to the one guy. He was kind of a dick anyway so there was no love lost, at least on my part.

Cheers,

Rob

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:41 AM
    Liked 548 Times in 329 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Careful lying about salary - that can come back to haunt you, since that is information that many companies will give if you sign the standard release for references. I will confirm salary, give dates of employment, and sometimes tell you if they are eligible for rehire. If it's a reference within my industry, I'll go off the record with a fellow HR person to give them a heads up - good or bad, but I'll make sure "they didn't hear it from me". I'll only even do that if I can prove what I'm saying is right, since the "didn't hear it from me" isn't going to hold up if somebody gets sued.

And I would NEVER lie about a degree - I caught someone lying about it in a former job.

Sacto - I don't know, and I'm not trying to be a prick, but I find that hard to believe that references are illegal in CA. Telling the truth about a former employee is almost always permissable, as long as it's not protected info under privacy laws, like medical info. In fact, many states are enacting safe harbor laws to protect employers that give honest references (lying is never protected). With on the job violence on the rise, states are tending to try to improve the flow of communication about employees, not hinder it. Although CA is pretty fucked up, I would have thought I'd have heard something from the many legal newsletters on employment law I get (and I say many because I don't want them all, they just come in the mail LOL)...

Most companies don't trust their supervisors to give the references, so they forbid it. People don't realize that you can give out any job related (subject to aforementioned privacy issues) info that is true. The problem is, you can still be sued, and it costs a shitload of money to defend a suit whether it has merit or not. Hence the "no reference" policy.

Actually, if you have a former employee who stole, or is violent, and you give a positive reference, you can be sued for that by the new employer if the former employee then commits a similar act at the new employer.

References suck. But if you have an employee who goes on a killing spree and you didn't check any references, I wouldn't want to be the one who made that decision come lawsuit time.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I lied. I left out the killing sprees at my last two jobs.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300