Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:30 AM
    Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts

Question about Love Walks In?

I am not sure if this has been discussed already. Did anyone notice the recording level on Love Walks In vs. every other song on 5150? Meaning it sounds really good compared to the rest of the songs. Is their any rhyme or reason for this? All of the songs were recorded at 5150 so that is not it. Any recording engineers may want to chime in. The reason I noticed this until just recently was I imported some songs from 5150 over to my IPOD and used the AAC format. I was in the car with my wife and we had the volume on a certain level and then when that song kicked in it sounded so much better and louder with the same volume level. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by AJW; 07.02.05 at 08:12 PM.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:22 AM
    Liked 280 Times in 134 Posts

No help from me... but I've never noticed that. I think the all of the songs sound great, production wise... compared to say, OU812.. or the super produced Balance some people have a problem with!
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Come on, someone has to know the answer to this.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:20 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

It sounds to me like they increases the tone in Sammy voice.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

pretty much all of them
    Last Online

04.02.13 @ 10:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Never noticed such a difference in that track.

Maybe its due to how the keyboard was recorded? Either miced or recorded direct?

*shrug*
    What do you mean i dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday!

Last Online

09.13.08 @ 04:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

maybe its because there is keyboards, baby grand piano, and guitar. that makes it a lot richer in sound quality.

Favorite VH Album

Tabula Rasa
    Last Online

09.26.16 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spanked55
    No help from me... but I've never noticed that. I think the all of the songs sound great, production wise... compared to say, OU812.. or the super produced Balance some people have a problem with!

BALANCE superproduced???
    Last edited by batch; 07.03.05 at 10:56 AM.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:21 PM
    Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by batch
    BALANCE superproduced???
    it IS very well done

Favorite VH Album

Tabula Rasa
    Last Online

09.26.16 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Well done doesn't mean super produced... Balance is very basic, simple and raw
    Last edited by batch; 07.03.05 at 02:19 PM.

Last Online

07.05.05 @ 06:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Your just anal retentive is all.

If you can sit there and pay more attention to that instead of a chick makes me wonder about you.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Yo,

GM, this is a VH board......we discuss music here. And the original poster was posing a very legit question. The personal attack was hardly needed.

Personally, seeing yet another post by you berating someone else for simply making a post makes me wonder about you, sir.

Have a happy 4th.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by AJW
    I am not sure if this has been discussed already. Did anyone notice the recording level on Love Walks In vs. every other song on 5150? Meaning it sounds really good compared to the rest of the songs. Is their any rhyme or reason for this? All of the songs were recorded at 5150 so that is not it. Any recording engineers may want to chime in. The reason I noticed this until just recently was I imported some songs from 5150 over to my IPOD and used the AAC format. I was in the car with my wife and we had the volume on a certain level and then when that song kicked in it sounded so much better and louder with the same volume level. Any thoughts?

It may have been that just that much more care and "love" went into that track than the others. I recall reading that it was the first song that Sam ever jammed on with VH at 5150. Maybe that was the one they wanted to stand out from the others.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

07.03.05 @ 08:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AJW
    So in the recording world, what sets the volumes is not the recording engineer in the studio, its the person that masters the album. What this person does is look at the tunes on a wave form looking for bass that's too heavy or treble areas and adjusts these to sound good. They can also bring up the volume of the whole mix. The main thing is to make sure the album is consistant all the way through. A good mastering job is where they adjust all aspects where every instrument can be heard and the album sounds consistant. Good examples are most of the Beatles catalog, Crowded house-woodface, and Vh1, vh2, WACF, FW, 1984. Badly mastered albums are 5150, ou812, RHRN (or mixed wrong). Balance isn't too bad. VH3, I do not consider a Van Halen Album. Another disaster was Depeche Mode's songs of faith and devotion, its all mid range. You can have an amazing album and have the mastering engineer screw it up.
    Another portion of mastering is to use compression on the whole mix. You have drums which are compressed, Bass is compressed, guitars are compressed, Vocals are compressed, then on top of the whole mix, you compress that again; then it goes to radio, and radio stations also compress. Radio station compression is massive massive compression where the dj's voice sounds huge and the music volume constantly stays the same.
    So as far as mastering goes, that's where Love Walks In has a louder sound to it. I would take the track into audacity (audacity.org (software)) and take a look at the wave form to see if it truly is bigger then the rest of the tracks on the album.
    BTW, mastering your own song is like performing dental surgery on yourself. It's not to be fooled with when you are close to your project. I know Eddie on the last 3 songs on the greatest hits compilation wanted to do very little mastering. He had Glen Ballard let him do mixes without mastering and compared them to ones that were mastered and the released what sounded good blind to what was mastered or not mastered.

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by GM5150
    Your just anal retentive is all.

If you can sit there and pay more attention to that instead of a chick makes me wonder about you.
    And this is why I have not posted here in a long while. You call yourself a VH fan???

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by diverjon5150
    So in the recording world, what sets the volumes is not the recording engineer in the studio, its the person that masters the album. What this person does is look at the tunes on a wave form looking for bass that's too heavy or treble areas and adjusts these to sound good. They can also bring up the volume of the whole mix. The main thing is to make sure the album is consistant all the way through. A good mastering job is where they adjust all aspects where every instrument can be heard and the album sounds consistant. Good examples are most of the Beatles catalog, Crowded house-woodface, and Vh1, vh2, WACF, FW, 1984. Badly mastered albums are 5150, ou812, RHRN (or mixed wrong). Balance isn't too bad. VH3, I do not consider a Van Halen Album. Another disaster was Depeche Mode's songs of faith and devotion, its all mid range. You can have an amazing album and have the mastering engineer screw it up.
    Another portion of mastering is to use compression on the whole mix. You have drums which are compressed, Bass is compressed, guitars are compressed, Vocals are compressed, then on top of the whole mix, you compress that again; then it goes to radio, and radio stations also compress. Radio station compression is massive massive compression where the dj's voice sounds huge and the music volume constantly stays the same.
    So as far as mastering goes, that's where Love Walks In has a louder sound to it. I would take the track into audacity (audacity.org (software)) and take a look at the wave form to see if it truly is bigger then the rest of the tracks on the album.
    BTW, mastering your own song is like performing dental surgery on yourself. It's not to be fooled with when you are close to your project. I know Eddie on the last 3 songs on the greatest hits compilation wanted to do very little mastering. He had Glen Ballard let him do mixes without mastering and compared them to ones that were mastered and the released what sounded good blind to what was mastered or not mastered.
    Very interesting. Thanks man.