Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Sinner's Swing! AJW's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.23.00
    Age
    49
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    2,910
    Favorite VH Album

    All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 03:30 AM
    Likes
    705
    Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts

    Question about Love Walks In?

    I am not sure if this has been discussed already. Did anyone notice the recording level on Love Walks In vs. every other song on 5150? Meaning it sounds really good compared to the rest of the songs. Is their any rhyme or reason for this? All of the songs were recorded at 5150 so that is not it. Any recording engineers may want to chime in. The reason I noticed this until just recently was I imported some songs from 5150 over to my IPOD and used the AAC format. I was in the car with my wife and we had the volume on a certain level and then when that song kicked in it sounded so much better and louder with the same volume level. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by AJW; 07.02.05 at 08:12 PM.

  2. #2
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    05.23.00
    Location
    ..this desperate part of town.
    Posts
    2,306
    Last Online

    12.09.17 @ 09:22 AM
    Likes
    562
    Liked 280 Times in 134 Posts

    Default

    No help from me... but I've never noticed that. I think the all of the songs sound great, production wise... compared to say, OU812.. or the super produced Balance some people have a problem with!
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

  3. #3
    Sinner's Swing! AJW's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.23.00
    Age
    49
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    2,910
    Favorite VH Album

    All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 03:30 AM
    Likes
    705
    Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts

    Default

    Come on, someone has to know the answer to this.

  4. #4
    Atomic Punk Eddymon's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.20.99
    Age
    48
    Location
    3800 foot level in the Sierra
    Posts
    15,109
    Favorite VH Album

    all of them
    Favorite VH Song

    If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 06:20 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

    Default

    It sounds to me like they increases the tone in Sammy voice.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

  5. #5
    Eruption Badhorsie551's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.03.04
    Location
    Houston,Texas
    Posts
    1,346
    Favorite VH Album

    all of them
    Favorite VH Song

    pretty much all of them
    Last Online

    04.02.13 @ 10:13 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Never noticed such a difference in that track.

    Maybe its due to how the keyboard was recorded? Either miced or recorded direct?

    *shrug*
    What do you mean i dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday!

  6. #6
    Unchained arackofwhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.19.04
    Location
    montauk project
    Posts
    436
    Last Online

    09.13.08 @ 04:22 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    maybe its because there is keyboards, baby grand piano, and guitar. that makes it a lot richer in sound quality.

  7. #7
    Eruption batch's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.11.00
    Age
    41
    Location
    Milano, Italy (formerly Udine, Friuli)
    Posts
    773
    Favorite VH Album

    Tabula Rasa
    Last Online

    09.26.16 @ 10:54 AM
    Likes
    5
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spanked55
    No help from me... but I've never noticed that. I think the all of the songs sound great, production wise... compared to say, OU812.. or the super produced Balance some people have a problem with!

    BALANCE superproduced???
    Last edited by batch; 07.03.05 at 10:56 AM.

  8. #8
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    12.17.03
    Age
    32
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    2,512
    Favorite VH Album

    FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 04:21 PM
    Likes
    250
    Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by batch
    BALANCE superproduced???
    it IS very well done

  9. #9
    Eruption batch's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.11.00
    Age
    41
    Location
    Milano, Italy (formerly Udine, Friuli)
    Posts
    773
    Favorite VH Album

    Tabula Rasa
    Last Online

    09.26.16 @ 10:54 AM
    Likes
    5
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Well done doesn't mean super produced... Balance is very basic, simple and raw
    Last edited by batch; 07.03.05 at 02:19 PM.

  10. #10
    Banned! GM5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.13.04
    Posts
    34
    Last Online

    07.05.05 @ 06:08 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Your just anal retentive is all.

    If you can sit there and pay more attention to that instead of a chick makes me wonder about you.

  11. #11
    Atomic Punk LLFHS's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.08.04
    Location
    Secret Witness Protection Location
    Posts
    31,731
    Favorite VH Album

    Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

    Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

    07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Likes
    34
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Yo,

    GM, this is a VH board......we discuss music here. And the original poster was posing a very legit question. The personal attack was hardly needed.

    Personally, seeing yet another post by you berating someone else for simply making a post makes me wonder about you, sir.

    Have a happy 4th.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

    [sigpic][/sigpic]


    Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

  12. #12
    Atomic Punk LLFHS's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.08.04
    Location
    Secret Witness Protection Location
    Posts
    31,731
    Favorite VH Album

    Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

    Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

    07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Likes
    34
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJW
    I am not sure if this has been discussed already. Did anyone notice the recording level on Love Walks In vs. every other song on 5150? Meaning it sounds really good compared to the rest of the songs. Is their any rhyme or reason for this? All of the songs were recorded at 5150 so that is not it. Any recording engineers may want to chime in. The reason I noticed this until just recently was I imported some songs from 5150 over to my IPOD and used the AAC format. I was in the car with my wife and we had the volume on a certain level and then when that song kicked in it sounded so much better and louder with the same volume level. Any thoughts?

    It may have been that just that much more care and "love" went into that track than the others. I recall reading that it was the first song that Sam ever jammed on with VH at 5150. Maybe that was the one they wanted to stand out from the others.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

    [sigpic][/sigpic]


    Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

  13. #13
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    03.29.04
    Posts
    5
    Last Online

    07.03.05 @ 08:29 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJW
    I am not sure if this has been discussed already. Did anyone notice the recording level on Love Walks In vs. every other song on 5150? Meaning it sounds really good compared to the rest of the songs. Is their any rhyme or reason for this? All of the songs were recorded at 5150 so that is not it. Any recording engineers may want to chime in. The reason I noticed this until just recently was I imported some songs from 5150 over to my IPOD and used the AAC format. I was in the car with my wife and we had the volume on a certain level and then when that song kicked in it sounded so much better and louder with the same volume level. Any thoughts?
    So in the recording world, what sets the volumes is not the recording engineer in the studio, its the person that masters the album. What this person does is look at the tunes on a wave form looking for bass that's too heavy or treble areas and adjusts these to sound good. They can also bring up the volume of the whole mix. The main thing is to make sure the album is consistant all the way through. A good mastering job is where they adjust all aspects where every instrument can be heard and the album sounds consistant. Good examples are most of the Beatles catalog, Crowded house-woodface, and Vh1, vh2, WACF, FW, 1984. Badly mastered albums are 5150, ou812, RHRN (or mixed wrong). Balance isn't too bad. VH3, I do not consider a Van Halen Album. Another disaster was Depeche Mode's songs of faith and devotion, its all mid range. You can have an amazing album and have the mastering engineer screw it up.
    Another portion of mastering is to use compression on the whole mix. You have drums which are compressed, Bass is compressed, guitars are compressed, Vocals are compressed, then on top of the whole mix, you compress that again; then it goes to radio, and radio stations also compress. Radio station compression is massive massive compression where the dj's voice sounds huge and the music volume constantly stays the same.
    So as far as mastering goes, that's where Love Walks In has a louder sound to it. I would take the track into audacity (audacity.org (software)) and take a look at the wave form to see if it truly is bigger then the rest of the tracks on the album.
    BTW, mastering your own song is like performing dental surgery on yourself. It's not to be fooled with when you are close to your project. I know Eddie on the last 3 songs on the greatest hits compilation wanted to do very little mastering. He had Glen Ballard let him do mixes without mastering and compared them to ones that were mastered and the released what sounded good blind to what was mastered or not mastered.

  14. #14
    Sinner's Swing! AJW's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.23.00
    Age
    49
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    2,910
    Favorite VH Album

    All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 03:30 AM
    Likes
    705
    Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GM5150
    Your just anal retentive is all.

    If you can sit there and pay more attention to that instead of a chick makes me wonder about you.
    And this is why I have not posted here in a long while. You call yourself a VH fan???

  15. #15
    Sinner's Swing! AJW's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.23.00
    Age
    49
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    2,910
    Favorite VH Album

    All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 03:30 AM
    Likes
    705
    Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by diverjon5150
    So in the recording world, what sets the volumes is not the recording engineer in the studio, its the person that masters the album. What this person does is look at the tunes on a wave form looking for bass that's too heavy or treble areas and adjusts these to sound good. They can also bring up the volume of the whole mix. The main thing is to make sure the album is consistant all the way through. A good mastering job is where they adjust all aspects where every instrument can be heard and the album sounds consistant. Good examples are most of the Beatles catalog, Crowded house-woodface, and Vh1, vh2, WACF, FW, 1984. Badly mastered albums are 5150, ou812, RHRN (or mixed wrong). Balance isn't too bad. VH3, I do not consider a Van Halen Album. Another disaster was Depeche Mode's songs of faith and devotion, its all mid range. You can have an amazing album and have the mastering engineer screw it up.
    Another portion of mastering is to use compression on the whole mix. You have drums which are compressed, Bass is compressed, guitars are compressed, Vocals are compressed, then on top of the whole mix, you compress that again; then it goes to radio, and radio stations also compress. Radio station compression is massive massive compression where the dj's voice sounds huge and the music volume constantly stays the same.
    So as far as mastering goes, that's where Love Walks In has a louder sound to it. I would take the track into audacity (audacity.org (software)) and take a look at the wave form to see if it truly is bigger then the rest of the tracks on the album.
    BTW, mastering your own song is like performing dental surgery on yourself. It's not to be fooled with when you are close to your project. I know Eddie on the last 3 songs on the greatest hits compilation wanted to do very little mastering. He had Glen Ballard let him do mixes without mastering and compared them to ones that were mastered and the released what sounded good blind to what was mastered or not mastered.
    Very interesting. Thanks man.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Love Walks In demo...anyone?
    By DrkEagle in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08.06.06, 03:43 PM
  2. love walks in
    By santista9 in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02.18.06, 03:12 PM
  3. Ed & Sam acoustic : Love walks in
    By Van Haantje in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08.12.02, 11:54 AM
  4. crossing over / love walks in
    By uncle ted in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09.03.00, 12:49 PM
  5. In praise of "Love Walks In"
    By BrokenCombs in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08.10.00, 07:33 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •