Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

Default Idaho Girl Found; Brother Feared Dead

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - More than six weeks after she disappeared from a home where family members were bludgeoned to death, an 8-year-old girl was found safe Saturday, sharing a meal with a registered sex offender at a Denny's restaurant in her hometown.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Shasta Groene was being reunited with her father, but her 9-year-old brother, Dylan, remained missing and was feared dead, Kootenai County Sheriff's Capt. Ben Wolfinger said.

"Our initial information is that he may be deceased," Wolfinger said, adding that officials were continuing the search for him. He said investigators believe Dylan was alive when the children disappeared.

Joseph Edward Duncan III, a registered sex offender from Fargo, N.D., was arrested and charged with kidnapping. He was being held without bond, and Wolfinger said more charges were possible.

Duncan, 42, had an outstanding warrant for failing to register as a high-risk sex offender and was facing charges of molesting a 6-year-old boy in Minnesota. He was released on bail in April, just weeks before the children disappeared.

Shasta was spotted by a waitress early Saturday just miles from the home where her mother, older brother and mother's boyfriend were discovered bound and bludgeoned to death on May 16.

Amber Deahn, 24, said she thought she recognized the girl eating onion rings, cheese sticks and chicken strips with an older man. Shasta's picture has been posted around town and shown in the media.

"It clicked in my brain that she looks familiar," she said.

Deahn tried to keep the pair at the restaurant longer by giving the girl crayons, coloring paper and a mask from the movie "Madagascar," and offering the girl dessert.

"I was trying to figure out a way to keep them there so the officers would have time to get there," she said.

It was not yet known where the girl had spent the past six weeks. She was being interviewed at a medical center but appeared physically well.

"She's a little girl," Wolfinger said. "Obviously she's been through a pretty traumatic time."

Tom Kraus, Brenda Groene's great-uncle in Whitefish, Mont., said family members were elated by the news of Shasta's return and hoping that Dylan also would be found alive.

"Obviously, we were very excited they found Shasta," Kraus said. "We are hopeful they can find Dylan. We're very happy those folks at Denny's recognized her and that they found her."

Dylan and Shasta had been missing since at least May 16, when sheriff's deputies responded to their rural home after a neighbor reported that dogs were barking and the door of one vehicle was open but no one was in sight.

Shasta's father, Steve Groene, and her oldest brother, Vance, spent much of the day Saturday at a hospital with Shasta. They did not make any statements to reporters, but when asked when he was driving away from the hospital if he was relieved, Vance Groene said, "more than relieved."

The deputies found the bound bodies of Brenda Groene, 40, Slade Groene, 13, and Mark McKenzie, 37. The victims were bound and then bludgeoned to death.

Investigators had interviewed hundreds of people, searched through 800 tons of trash and fielded more than 2,000 tips. It was not known whether Duncan had a connection with the victims.

"We don't have any idea who Duncan is, other than a very, very sick individual. Sick and stupid to go to a Denny's at 2 a.m. with a child," Bob Price, Shasta Groene's paternal uncle, said by telephone from Tacoma, Wash.

Police were seeking a warrant to search a stolen red Jeep that officials said Duncan had been driving. In Fargo, officers were securing Duncan's apartment in a neighborhood where a number of North Dakota State University students live, police Sgt. Shannon Ruziska said.

Duncan, whose criminal history dates back to 1980, enrolled at the university in 2000, majoring in computer science, and made the dean's list. When he moved to Fargo, more than 300 people attended a community notification meeting.

Kerstin Haugen, who lives in an apartment building next door, said she had not seen Duncan for several months. Police stopped by looking for him, she said.

"He seemed normal," Haugen said. She said she was not aware that he was a registered sex offender when she first moved in, but found out later from neighbors. She said he kept to himself.

Ruziska said police were doing quarterly checks on Duncan.

"The call from Idaho was a surprise to us," Ruziska said.

Duncan was convicted in 1980 of raping a 14-year-old boy in Washington state when he was 16.

Last July, he was accused of molesting a 6-year-old boy at a school playground in Minnesota. He had been released by Becker County, Minn., authorities in April on $15,000 bond and ordered to stay in touch with a probation agent. In May, authorities said they were seeking Duncan on a warrant after he failed to do so.

Becker County Attorney Joseph Evans did not immediately return a call Saturday seeking comment.

Minnesota has moved to crack down on sex offenders since the slaying of college student Dru Sjodin across the state line in North Dakota. A sex offender from Minnesota is accused in the slaying.

A federal law creating a Web site with state-by-state information on sex offenders was inspired in part by the Sjodin case.
    If anybody out there can give me a good reason to keep this low life alive, please do so. The death penalty would somehow seem too kind for this piece of shit though.

No surprise here though that Minnesota would let him go. It's my home state, and I love the Vikings, but they are about as fucked up politically as they get. These places need to get it already. People that do this sort of shit cannot be rehabilitated, they do not go out and make productive members of society, they go back out and molest children, because they are not right in the head. I'd like to go to Becker County, MN. and slap the dogshit out of their puny little liberal minds.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'll say it again...WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON THIS SUMMER??
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

yeah this whole thing with the 2 kids has really freaked us Idahoans out. The town the kids were kidnapped from is only a couple hours north of where I live and its just creepy to think that a fuck nut like that dude could do something like that. I really do hope that the other kid is alive somewhere and is found soon.

Guys, just pray that this kid is alive cuz we have enough shit goin on in the world and we dont need anymore. Another good person to talk to about this is T.Ryan. He lives in the boise area somewhere and he probably knows more about this than I do.
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.21.08 @ 10:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Viking
    If anybody out there can give me a good reason to keep this low life alive, please do so. The death penalty would somehow seem too kind for this piece of shit though.

No surprise here though that Minnesota would let him go. It's my home state, and I love the Vikings, but they are about as fucked up politically as they get. These places need to get it already. People that do this sort of shit cannot be rehabilitated, they do not go out and make productive members of society, they go back out and molest children, because they are not right in the head. I'd like to go to Becker County, MN. and slap the dogshit out of their puny little liberal minds.
    Viking,

This has been a horrible day for me, but let me first say that whatever pain or frustration you or I may feel pales in comparison to what those who know these kids must feel.

I share with you the frustration of dealing with the left leaning politics of the People's Republic of Minnesota, but if you take a look at the county by county Red State/Blue State map from the last two elections, you will see that Becker County is Red. The state representatives from that area (including at one time Steve Evans, a relative of the current county attorney) are typically Republican as well. You will find Democrats and outright liberals, but they are more of the Humphrey Democrat variety who just haven't realized that their party was hijacked by the radical left thirty years ago. (My parents fall into this category.) Anyway, you can go there and "slap the dogshit" out of them, but it won't do you any good. This isn't their fault anyway.

It's the system. We all look at his long list of prior offenses and ask why he is still walking around. Priors are inadmissable in court. You can only be tried on the offense for which you are charged. I think they can be considered in the sentencing phase, but the case in Becker County hadn't even reached that point because he jumped bail. I've heard a number of national talking heads criticizing the $15,000 bail as too light. They need to do some research. It's a mostly rural county comprised of farm land, part of an Indian Reservation and a bunch of small towns (the largest is a shade under 8,000 people). $15K is a lot of money in that area. Local business owners are lucky if they clear $30K in income in a year. It's true that Level III offenders are never "cured", but what do you do with them? The sentencing guidelines don't call for a life sentence and it's not a capital crime, so no death sentence even if Minnesota allowed it. The Sixth Amendment disallows castration (even chemical castration) unless it is voluntary. Maybe the answer is to lock them away in the looney bin for the rest of their lives, but that is more of a psychiatric issue than a legal one. Once someone serves his sentence, you can't keep punishing them.

It was unfair for the article to say the Mr. Evans was not returning phone calls because it makes it appear as though he's ducking the issue. In reality, he's most likely at his cabin enjoying the holiday with his family as most people do. They probably called his office number even though it is a Saturday on a holiday weekend because that was the only number they had.

Please believe me when I tell you that I'm not defending this sicko in the least. As much as anything, my point is this...although I now live in the Twin Cities, I grew up in Detroit Lakes, Minnesota; the seat of Becker County. The case in Becker County occurred on a playground between the middle school where I went to junior high and the elementary school where my mom works as a hall monitor. The steps you see this guy walking up in the news clips from this past April lead to the county courthouse which is about five blocks from my parents house. My grandparents were married there by the JOP. My great uncle fell over and died of a stroke on the very steps that sleeze bag was walking up. The first brick building with a white door you see in the background is a Lutheran church where I've attended friends' weddings. The second brick building a little further to the right with the white pillars in front is the funeral home where the wakes for my grandparents and my father-in-law (and many other people I knew while growing up) were held. The big open space just past that is the parking lot of the mall where I hung out as a teenager. This isn't how I ever imagined my small town making the national news.

This really isn't about me or my old town. As I've already pointed out, my little gripe is nothing compared to what this little girl and her brother went through. It's just been painful to see and hear the newsies blasting away at my town and the county attorney. Especially given the seriousness of the situation. It didn't help to see a kindred spirit (a VH fan from MN) wanting to head up there and slap my people around. They did what they thought was right given what they were allowed to do under the law. If they screwed up, then so did the authorities in Fargo and Washington State who had arrested him previously.
    "Now take off my Van Halen shirt before you jinx the band and they break up or something!" - Robbie Hart

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bullshit, kill all these sick motherfuckers and let god sort 'em out. There is no excuse for this behavior at all. We patsy these sickos and have copycats because they know they will get off "easy" We are soft when it comes to punishing these offenders. I betcha if this happened to someone close to the people that "defend" them they would think differently. That is a general statement there schools, not necessarily aimed at you. This is just frustrating.
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who

Romeo Delight TakeYourTequilaHome's Avatar
    Last Online

07.21.05 @ 03:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They need to make this scum the stuntman for the next Clive Barker movie.

Let his skin be filleted or have him perpetually chain-sawed through the skull, whatever. Just anything and everything Clive Barker. Maybe Pulp Fiction, go medieval on him.

The murdered family members will never come back. They're gone. Period. That little girl will never be the same. She'll improve, but she'll never fully recover and be the same.
    "The teachers all gave up on me, no matter what they say I disagree." Fools, WACF

“Seventy-Eight-Five-Two-Three Give me quad over kkkkkk … Read out of seven kkkkkk … Seven-Five I can’t collect. Can you redue that? … Mayday! Mayday! Mayday! kkkkkkLoss of Control, WACF

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Idaho girl told police suspect tied up family

Idaho (CNN) -- Eight-year-old Shasta Groene told investigators she saw Joseph Edward Duncan III tie up members of her family in their home on the day authorities say they were killed, according to an investigative report released Tuesday.

Earlier Tuesday, Duncan was formally charged with two counts of first-degree kidnapping. If convicted, Duncan, 42, could face the death penalty or life in prison.

Shasta and her 9-year-old brother, Dylan, disappeared May 16, the same day authorities discovered their mother, 40-year-old Brenda Groene, a brother, 13-year-old Slade, and their mother's 37-year-old boyfriend, Mark McKenzie, bound and bludgeoned to death at the family's home in Coeur d'Alene.

Duncan, a convicted sex offender, was arrested after a Denny's waitress in Coeur d'Alene recognized Shasta when she came into the restaurant with him about 2 a.m. Saturday. (Full story)

Dylan has not been found, but investigators fear human remains found Monday in western Montana may be his.

The report does not say if Shasta witnessed the killings, but it marks the first time anyone has put Duncan at the scene.

Shasta also told investigators she and Dylan were repeatedly raped by Duncan at at least two camp sites in Montana, according to the handwritten report by an investigator recapping an interview with the girl.

"Shasta saw Mr. Duncan molest Dylan," the report says.

The report does not mention Shasta as saying anything about the whereabouts of Dylan.

The interview with Shasta was conducted by Kootenai County Sheriff Sgt. Daniel Mattos and was videotaped, according to the report.

According to the report, Shasta told Mattos she was asleep in her home May 15 when she was awakened by her mother and "went to living room." It says a man forced the "family in ligatures."

She and Dylan were carried and placed into a pickup truck, removed from the property and later transferred to a Jeep, the report says.

"Was same person she was found with, Joseph Duncan," the report alleges.

She told investigators she had never met Duncan before and that he was the only person involved in the kidnappings.

Shasta never used the term rape with investigators, but she provided graphic details about what allegedly occurred.

Meanwhile, Shasta continues to recover at a local hospital. "She's doing very well," said Kootenai County Sheriff's Capt. Ben Wolfinger. "Her medical condition is listed as good."

First court appearance
    Duncan was subdued when he made his first appearance in Kootenai County Superior Court via a video link Tuesday.

The kidnapping charges include the intent to rape, commit an unnatural act or perform a lewd and lascivious act upon a child under the age of 16.

Judge Scott Wayman told Duncan he could not enter a plea on the felony charges. He is not eligible for bail, and the next court date was not set. A public defender was appointed for him.

Duncan also was charged with being a fugitive from a prior criminal charge in Minnesota. Wayman set bail of $2 million on that count.

Duncan, with dark curly hair and a mustache, wore a yellow jumpsuit and a shackle around his waist.

Asked if he understood the nature of the charges, Duncan replied, "I believe I do, yes."

Asked if he had any questions, he said, "No, none."

Duncan had already been charged in Washington with failure to file a change of address with the state sex offender registry.

In 1980, when he was 16, Duncan was convicted in Washington of raping a 14-year-old boy at gunpoint and served most of a 20-year sentence.

More recently, he was charged in Minnesota with failure to contact his probation officer, a condition of his release on bail after he was charged with child molestation there earlier this year.

Remains analyzed
    The remains found in Montana are "most likely" those of Dylan, Wolfinger said.

He said investigators have determined that the area where the remains were found "is one of the many sites where we believe that Duncan held the Groene children or stayed with the Groene children."

"However, we're not going to make that 100 percent until we get the DNA confirmation later in the week."

In St. Regis, Montana, FBI Special Agent Tim Fuhrman told reporters Duncan and the children "spent some time in the Lolo National Forest over the last seven weeks."

"We continue to process several areas which we believe are crime scenes which are located in an extremely remote part of the forest," Fuhrman said.

Because the sites are in remote areas of the 2-million-acre forest, there are "significant safety concerns," Fuhrman said.

Fuhrman asked people who were in the forest or town in the last seven weeks to "search their memories" and call a tip line (208 446-2292 or 208 446-2293) with any useful information.

Also Tuesday, a convenience store released a surveillance tape that shows Duncan and Shasta Groene arriving in a red SUV, entering the store, making purchases and leaving again.

The video was taken Friday evening in Kellogg, Idaho, about 40 miles east of the Denny's where Shasta was recognized just hours later.

At one point on the tape, the girl walked the aisles of the store by herself while Duncan looked at a newspaper on a different row.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by voivod

More recently, he was charged in Minnesota with failure to contact his probation officer, a condition of his release on bail after he was charged with child molestation there earlier this year.
    Why he was even allowed out after his past is beyond me. This really pisses me off!
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

This is messed up. I feel for the family.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

That poor little girl. I hope that she has some extended family to go to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Default Remains Identified As Missing Idaho Boy

Remains Identified As Missing Idaho Boy

I really don't have much else to say at this point.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

When will our publicly elected officials begin to pay attention?
    Perhaps when it's one of their family members, and just not some lower-class
    schmoe's?

Man Bragged to Girl About Idaho Killings
    By NICHOLAS K. GERANIOS
    Associated Press Writer

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho (AP) -- Convicted sex offender Joseph Edward Duncan bragged to his 8-year-old captive during more than six weeks on the run, telling her how he used a shotgun and hammer to kill her family after staking out their home for days, court documents show.

Shasta Groene remembered it all and has been providing authorities with details that are building a strong case against Duncan.

Duncan was charged Tuesday with three counts of first-degree murder and three counts of first-degree kidnapping in the deaths of Shasta's mother Brenda Groene, 40, her brother Slade, 13, and Groene's boyfriend Mark McKenzie, 37. If convicted, he could face the death penalty.

"He told her he was out driving around looking for children to kidnap," Kootenai County sheriff's detective Brad Maskell testified during a probable cause hearing. "He ... saw her playing in the yard with her brother and wearing a bathing suit. At that point he chose them as possible kidnap victims."

Public defender John Adams declined to comment after the hearing. "We try to do our litigation in the courtroom," he said.

Shasta's ordeal began when she heard her mother call her into the living room early on the morning of May 16. Her mother, brother and McKenzie were bound with zip-ties and duct tape.

Duncan then bound her and Dylan and left them on the ground outside near a swing set. Shasta said she heard McKenzie yell out several times, and at one point they saw Slade stagger, incoherent and bleeding profusely from the head, out of the home. The children yelled for Slade to untie them, but he was unable to respond.

Shasta remembered that Duncan wore dark gloves and had a shotgun and night-vision goggles. She also recalled the brand name of the hammer used to bludgeon the victims, which Duncan showed her after the attacks.

During weeks of captivity at a remote campsite in western Montana, Duncan told Shasta that he cased the family's home for two to three days, using his goggles to look in the windows and study the family's habits and the layout.

"Shasta was very specific that Mr. Duncan is the only person responsible for these acts," Maskell added.

Shasta was rescued early in the morning of July 2, when employees at a Denny's restaurant in Coeur d'Alene recognized her and called police. She has since been reunited with her father.

Dylan was found dead in Montana last week.

Duncan had been charged with kidnapping Shasta and Dylan, but those state charges will be dismissed and instead handled by the federal court system because the youngsters were taken across a state line, authorities said.

Officials have alleged that the children were repeatedly sexually molested during their ordeal, and sheriff Rocky Watson has said he believes the motive for the killings was to acquire the children for sex.

Duncan was released on $15,000 bail earlier this year in Becker County, Minn., after being charged with molesting a 6-year-old boy. Police in Fargo, N.D., where Duncan lived, had been looking for him since he failed to check in with a probation agent there in May.

Duncan had spent more than a decade in prison for sexually assaulting a 14-year-old boy at gunpoint in Tacoma, Wash.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton