Favorite VH Album

changes regularly
    Favorite VH Song

also changes regularly
    Last Online

05.14.15 @ 05:11 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

DLR Naperville rib fest reviews

I don't see a thread for this yet, so I guess I'll start one.

This was the first time I have ever seen Dave live. Going in I was expecting the worst based on the live recordings I've heard of Dave. Honestly I was pleasantly surprised by how good Dave sounded. He sang all the songs without just speaking the lyrics and was in tune. His voice isn't one of the best ever, but we all already knew that. I also liked Dave's look. Short hair simple white outfit with a black and white striped shirt. He didn't look like he was totaly stuck in the 80's, but he didn't seem like he was trying to look like the latest fad either. The look fit the music which was mostly classic VH with about 3 solo tunes.

I was actually a little surprised at the lack of theatrics. Dave just kind of struted around the stage and struck poses now and then. Every once in awhile he would do a kick. He should realy limit that spinning roundhouse type kick to a couple of times during the show. When he does it six or seven times it starts to seem kind of tired and it seemed like people were saying "Yeah, we saw that the first time. Can't you do anything else."

It was kind of funny to hear dads explaining to their kids who Dave was on the way back to the cars. Things like "You see that guy used to be in VH but then they broke up and that's when VH got their other singer." I heard a girl say "so that's not the actual group that did those songs,but that was the singer?" Just funny to hear the different spins people put on the break up as they tried to explain it to people who weren't familiar with the story.

I have been skeptical about a VH reunion with Dave because I thought Dave would be a joke live, but if he can consistantly do as well vocaly as he did tonight I think he could pull it off.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mcbain
    I don't see a thread for this yet, so I guess I'll start one.
    Really looked hard, eh? It's located about six threads below your's.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 07.02.05 at 04:43 AM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 2,103 Times in 687 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mcbain
    I have been skeptical about a VH reunion with Dave because I thought Dave would be a joke live, but if he can consistantly do as well vocaly as he did tonight I think he could pull it off.
    Thanks for the review
    We'll see...

Favorite VH Album

Olive um
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!!
    Last Online

06.14.13 @ 10:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the review. A good buddy of mine called me from the ribfest and was totally stoked in seeing DLR. He must have called me 3-4 times during the show. You know the type that holds thier cell phone up like we can acually hear/understand what's going on. Anyway, glad DLR was a good show.
    CHef,......chill man.........

Last Online

09.14.17 @ 06:01 PM
    Liked 41 Times in 21 Posts

Default DATELINE 10 PM NAPERVILLE IL

DAVID LEE ROTH ROCKED WITH ALL THE PEOPLE HERE TONIGHT!!

With a somewhat rusty but personable beginning, and a fest of the VH hits -Dave ended the show with the ribfesters eating out of his hands.
    The most notable portion of the show was Ice Cream Man where Dave pulled out the Semi- Acoustic and gave us a little bluegrass prelude to the album version of the song. It was very impressive, as good or better than anything I have heard Sammy do live acoustically!

The rest of the standard original line-up of Van Halen songs brought the all ages audience a great time.

Dave is a little older, maybe a little more mellow, (maybe toning it done a little for the family festival audience) but very comfortable-like a friend you haven't seen since high school, but once your talking to them you pick up right where you left off.

Dave would make a great front man for VH again. I hope it happens.
    He is a PRO!

If he were to die tomorrow, he could die knowing that he was the absolute best at what he did in his day, and it showed in Naperville, IL tonight!

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by TopTimi
    CHef,......chill man.........
    Nothing to chill about, I was being my usual charming, smart-assed self.

Hey, when are you coming over for ribs at "The House O' Chef"?

Yeah, I know...work blows.

Check yer PM, bro.

...craig
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

I went to the show last night with my wife and 2 boys.....all in all the show was awesome!! For those of you that could have went....TOO BAD FOR YOU! ha ha!!!
    From beginning to end Dave was Dave and he had a great time with the crowd and we all had a blast. He seems a LOT happier now, his voice was better than the Sam and Dave tour. He has a new and improved look...sorry no pics though (you should have went to the show!)
    My favorite parts of the show where: Hot For Teacher, Somebody Get Me a Doctor, Just Like Paradise, Just a Gigilo, Unchained.....ok the whole show.
    Only one mention of VH and one insult to Sammy :"Sammy Hagar??? He doesn't know what he is doing!!" That statement was met with 75% cheers and 25% boo's. He told us that he met the VH bro's back in '72, his senior year in high school and this song was on the radio...then the band broke in to a Jeff Beck song and Dave took a 5 min. break.
    My youngest boy said his favorite parts where Panama, Jump and HFT.
    My oldest says the drummer was really cool and liked Panama the best. My wife was impressed with the entire show and had fun!
    I really think that Dave can front Van Halen now. Before I said "no fucking way, his voice couldn't do it". Last night, he proved me wrong!
    The place was jam packed full of people...several thousand to say the least.
    Last edited by BREW CREW; 07.02.05 at 08:45 AM.
    Just go for it!

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by BREW CREW
    I went to the show last night with my wife and 2 boys.....all in all the show was awesome!! For those of you that could have went....TOO BAD FOR YOU! ha ha!!!
    From beginning to end Dave was Dave and he had a great time with the crowd and we all had a blast. He seems a LOT happier now, his voice was better than the Sam and Dave tour. He has a new and improved look...sorry no pics though (you should have went to the show!)
    My favorite parts of the show where: Hot For Teacher, Somebody Get Me a Doctor, Just Like Paradise, Just a Gigilo, Unchained.....ok the whole show.
    Only one mention of VH and one insult to Sammy :"Sammy Hagar??? He doesn't know what he is doing!!" That statement was met with 75% cheers and 25% boo's. He told us that he met the VH bro's back in '72, his senior year in high school and this song was on the radio...then the band broke in to a Jeff Beck song and Dave took a 5 min. break.
    My youngest boy said his favorite parts where Panama, Jump and HFT.
    My oldest says the drummer was really cool and liked Panama the best. My wife was impressed with the entire show and had fun!
    I really think that Dave can front Van Halen now. Before I said "no fucking way, his voice couldn't do it". Last night, he proved me wrong!

Thanks BC, I'm truly glad that you and your family had such a great time!

This is the kind of stuff that gives me, as a Roth guy, hope.

Entertainment, folks!

Best wishes to you and your's, BC.

...craig
    George Bernard Shaw

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 2,103 Times in 687 Posts

cool

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:18 PM
    Liked 1,391 Times in 763 Posts

At this point in time, only the most extreme, taliban-like fans would not accept ANY incarnation of VH, given the extreme looniness of the VH camp.

Bring on Dave or Sam, hell even Gary...

Just make this band a somewhat normal, functioning unit so we can get back to talking about the actual music.

*sigh*
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig
    Nothing to chill about, I was being my usual charming, smart-assed self.

Hey, when are you coming over for ribs at "The House O' Chef"?

I want to go to Chef's house for....well, not ribs, but for other good food and fun cameraderie!
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Last Online

01.23.14 @ 07:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

a question....did dave eat any ribs during the performance?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dr.bullet
    a question....did dave eat any ribs during the performance?
    No, but he might have nibbled on that blonde he was wanting a booty call from.
    Just go for it!

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:07 AM
    Liked 1,487 Times in 908 Posts

Glad to see that you folks had a great time. Dave still rockin!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com