ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.03.16 @ 04:18 AM
    Liked 677 Times in 472 Posts

Premium Member

Default The Blues Brothers Thread: Still On a Mission from God

Seems like every other band has a thread devoted to 'em around here so I thought I might as well start one about the Blues Brothers.

First, Happy Birthday to Mr. Elwood himself, Dan Aykroyd. July 1, he's 53 I believe. I saw Dan at the DLR concert in San Diego, he said hello to the crowd before Dave came on. Dan's . . . been eating well.

2005 is the 25th anniversary of the Blues Brothers release. August 30 they're releasing an anniversary DVD commemorating the event. It's a double DVD with the original theatrical release on one side and and an expanded version on the other. 2 hours and 13 minutes and 2 hours and 28 minutes respectively. A couple of years back they released a collectors edition with additional footage, that was 2 hrs and 22 minutes. So this new expanded version has 6 minutes on top of that. No one really knows what exactly the "new" footage is yet. Anyway there's tons of added features on the commemorative DVD. I would highly advise anyone who likes the original movie to pick this one up when it comes out.

Probably the best Blues Bro. site I've found is www.bluesbrotherscentral.com, lots of great stuff there.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.22.16 @ 12:41 PM
    Liked 86 Times in 42 Posts

Donor

I love that damn movie and soundtrack man. I have a live cd of theirs too which is KILLER! Back when I played sax in a blues/rock band, we did Sweet Home Chicago and Rubber Biscuit. We also did a tune off of the second Blues Brothers movie, but I forget the name of the song. Those tunes are always fun to play and listen too.

And Dan has an unbelievable ear for music. He's one of the biggest blues fans in the world. Everytime he's on Conan O'brien he can name all of the obscure tunes that Max and the band plays. He knows all that shit man. And yes, he's been eating well.
    Last edited by SuckaInA3Piece; 07.01.05 at 08:28 AM.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.23.14 @ 02:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

"Four fried chickens and a Coke."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by sixstring
    "Four fried chickens and a Coke."
    "You betta think!"
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs, BOBW...
    Last Online

11.26.16 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts

Default BB Rocks

It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark out and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it.

The Blue Brothers really exposed me to the blues at an early stage, I am forever grateful.

The collection of stellar musicians that John and Dan surrounded themselves with, is remarkable. It really gave them some instant creditability. (Cropper, Duck Dunn, Matt "Guitar", Blue Lou...) I somehow wish that had kept Paul Scaffer as the keyboard player in the movie.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

Blue Lou was a major influence on me as a sax player. That guy can flat out get down on the alto sax.
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

03.22.09 @ 10:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Check this out

Chicago Sun Times Blues Brothers 25th Aniversery tribute

Chicago Sun Times
    I made some mistakes tonight but we sing and play our f***ing instruments. Accept no substitute Tom Petty at the Darien Lake Performing Arts Center July 3, 2002

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by SuckaInA3Piece
    "You betta think!"
    ..."THINK! Think about whatcha tryin' to do ta me!"

Aretha KICKS ASS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

- hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I love classic comedies but for some reason still haven't seen the Blues Brothers. Maybe I'll remember the next time I go to the video store.
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.30.06 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Huphuphuphuphup!

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Halen
    I love classic comedies but for some reason still haven't seen the Blues Brothers. Maybe I'll remember the next time I go to the video store.
    OH, GOOD LORD, MAN...this is one of the BEST EVER! Stop what you're doing and go BUY it NOW!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

- han valen, 6.11.04

- hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

03.13.16 @ 07:04 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

A little trivia for ya friends. The Blues Brothers weren't always from Calumet City, Illinoize (small tribute to Cab Calloway there). Can't remember the album, but it was live and verrrrrrrry early on in the B.B. journey. It was recorded at a local rock bar. They were originally from Rock Island, Illinoize (second reference to Cab Calloway).

There really was a orphanage in Rock Island operated by the Franciscan Monks. That was the original premise to that story line when they were doing pre-production for the movie. They had just built South Park Mall in Moline and were wanting to use it for the "mall chase" but the owners wouldn't allow it when they heard about the destruction that would be caused.

Davenport, Iowa, just across the river, had a bar called called Beethoven's. It was the local rock bar I mentioned earlier. It's been rumored that as a way to test the validity of the movie being accepted by people in the midwest, The Blues Brothers played there to prove they could pack the place using only day of show announcements to promote the show. This was based soley on their SNL skits being the only reference to The Blues Brothers that most of the people in America had ever heard of. They didn't even have a live album out yet. Needless to say, they packed the place and did 3 different weekend shows over a 4 week time span.

Some of you may remember the old "Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute" that Akroyd played. He was also from The Quad Cities. He used to fly in and jam at the different blues clubs in Rock Island. It was the only place he could go to feel anonymous and just enjoy the music and jamming. He loved the area because, at the time, it was an out of the way place where he could slide in and slide out un-noticed.
    Last edited by RRMB; 07.01.05 at 05:52 PM.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Last Online

12.01.16 @ 12:47 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SuckaInA3Piece
    We also did a tune off of the second Blues Brothers movie, but I forget the name of the song.
    it was cool to finally get a version of Can't Turn You Loose (or as we always called it, the mall song) on the Blues Brothers 2000 soundtrack. the rest of the disc is kinda meh.

the movie came out when i was going to Catholic school. of course i started calling the nuns Penguin. and one day at lunch, i played Minnie the Moocher on my little shoebox cassette recorder and had the whole 7th and 8th grade doing the call-and-response parts in the chorus. got to sit in the principals office for a week for that one.
    Last edited by twonabomber; 07.01.05 at 06:31 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber
    it was cool to finally get a version of Can't Turn You Loose (or as we always called it, the mall song) on the Blues Brothers 2000 soundtrack. the rest of the disc is kinda meh.

the movie came out when i was going to Catholic school. of course i started calling the nuns Penguin. and one day at lunch, i played Minnie the Moocher on my little shoebox cassette recorder and had the whole 7th and 8th grade doing the call-and-response parts in the chorus. got to sit in the principals office for a week for that one.

Well worth it if ya ask me!

And you're right about the Blues Brothers 2000 soundtrack. The song we did was called Funky Nassau. The horn parts were pretty cool, but I had more fun doing Sweet Home Chicago.
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

II
    Last Online

05.18.16 @ 10:01 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

"1060 West Addisson?.... that's Wrigley Field". Real Cubs fans caught this before John Belushi said it

I love this movie. Loved it as a kid - its how I learned that the blues is cool

However - I The Blues Brothers 2000 is probably the one of the worst sequels EVER (when judged against the strength of the original movie). I always wondered if Jim Belushi's "scheduling conflict" stemmed from seeing the script and hating it. It had a funny moment or two, but those old car gags that worked in the first movie didn't hold up a second time.