Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 02:21 PM
    Liked 1,638 Times in 1,007 Posts

Donor

Default War of the Worlds

KICKS ASS.

Wasn't there already a thread on this film, a while back? I couldn't find it, even with the search function. Sorry about that.

Believe me, I'm no major Cruise fan, and his PR hijinks of late have been nothing short of ridiculous.

But this flick...DAMN. I saw the first matinee today, on opening day. The audience, literally, was dead silent for all of it. You know a flick's riveting when everybody's shut the fuck up.

One thing you gotta give Spielberg...he knows how to tweak the alien genre, for good or for ill. This is not E.T., LOL. And any fan of HG Wells' book, or even the original flick, is gonna love this.

This film, frankly, scared the crap outta me. He made it look SO believable. It's the WAY he does it, not necessarily the aliens themselves. The scary part being how civilization hangs on a thread far more than we think. How important we think we are, but maybe we're just bugs among the cosmos.

The ending's a bit anti-climatic, and the family dynamic subplot meaders some, but overall, this one's frightening and the CGI has never been better. Maybe I'm biased, I'm a big Sci Fi dude.

Awesome stuff. Makes up for Minority Report and A.I.
    Last edited by Van Squalen; 06.29.05 at 05:05 PM.

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It was an altogether enjoyable flick, but in all honestly it was a bit of a letdown--I've just been looking forward to it so much, and it didn't quite live up to my expectations.
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Last Online

11.26.17 @ 10:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    KICKS ASS.
    I've now heard 2 conflicting reports. Yours saying KICK ASS and a mate of mine saying it was as boring as bat shit.
    Now I'm in a quandry as to see it or not. Tom Cruise acting like such a tool lately has put me off his movies.
    "In our house, a song was considered shit if it didn't have a big guitar solo on it"- Slash

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by janthraxx
    It was an altogether enjoyable flick, but in all honestly it was a bit of a letdown--I've just been looking forward to it so much, and it didn't quite live up to my expectations.
    Really...it exceeded mine. I was expecting a rehashed Independence Day. As I mentioned, the climax should've been more elevated, given the pace of the rest of the flick.

I was thoroughly entertained. But like I said, I think to truly enjoy this flick at its fullest, you'd better dig Spielberg and you'd better like science fiction in a big way. And it wouldn't hurt if you're a fan of classic sci fi serials, either (as Spielberg is).

The suspense was portrayed eerily well...and the whole 'human beings become sheep when faced with uncontrollable chaos' bit was perfect.
    Last edited by Van Squalen; 06.29.05 at 06:20 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I gotta go see it, but I am hearing the ending totally sucks Mouse poop!
    All you need in this life is a tremendous sex drive and a great ego , brain's don't mean a shit! ~ Captain Tony Tarracino

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. ~ Hunter S. Thompson

When you figure out that you can't figure it out, your finally gettin your shit together. ~ Jimmy Buffett

http://www.myspace.com/palm_trees_and_mojitos

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:38 AM
    Liked 1,352 Times in 928 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    Really...it exceeded mine. I was expecting a rehashed Independence Day. AsThe suspense was portrayed eerily well...and the whole 'human beings become sheep when faced with uncontrollable chaos' bit was perfect.
    Ah, so it basically was like an extraterrestrial version of the Van Halen story?

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by billy007
    Ah, so it basically was like an extraterrestrial version of the Van Halen story?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I loved it.

Spielburg pulls out all of the stops. While it drew from other SciFi movies it has stuff I've never seen before.

The part where Cruise and Fanning are hiding out in a basement with Tim Robbins is great.

The ending is the same as the original movie and the book. Wouldn't have it any other way.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.06.14 @ 12:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

If you like sci-fi, you'll love this movie.
    Last edited by Dimoncutr; 06.29.05 at 07:06 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Oh shit, that dude in the basement was Tim Robbins?? I totally didn't catch that.

The first thing that really irked me about the movie was TC's (and the rest of the people's) reaction to the first tripod when it came out of the ground. They were all stone-faced and waited way too long to start running.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I'm seeing it in an hour...high hopes now, Squalen!!!
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SactoFan
    Hope you enjoy it

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by SactoFan
    It's good cinema, SF. And starkly true to the original material.

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by janthraxx
    Oh shit, that dude in the basement was Tim Robbins?? I totally didn't catch that.

The first thing that really irked me about the movie was TC's (and the rest of the people's) reaction to the first tripod when it came out of the ground. They were all stone-faced and waited way too long to start running.
    Aw, I dunno, man...I think that's exactly how it'd be. Gaping, staring idiots until it's obvious. Not unlike real life, LOL.

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Fuck Tom Cruise. For an explanation see the Tom Cruise...You bastard thread. If I had to piss really bad and he were on fire...I wouldn't walk across the street to put him out.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE