Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

View Poll Results: Do you approve of President Bush's job to date?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

28 41.18%
  • No

40 58.82%
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of the World
    Last Online

04.23.17 @ 12:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Disapproval of Bush at high point

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/06/...oll/index.html

President's best marks on terrorism, worst on Social Security

(CNN) -- The number of Americans disapproving of President Bush's job performance has risen to the highest level of his presidency, according to the CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll released Monday.

According to the poll, 53 percent of respondents said they disapproved of Bush's performance, compared to 45 percent who approved.

The margin of error was plus or minus 3 percentage points.

The 53 percent figure was the highest disapproval rating recorded in the CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll since Bush became president in January 2001.

The approval percentage -- 45 percent -- matches a low point set in late March. The 8-point gap between those who disapproved and approved was the largest recorded during Bush's tenure.

As Bush prepares to address the nation Tuesday to defend his Iraq policy, just 40 percent of those responding to the poll said they approved of his handling of the war; 58 percent said they disapproved. (Full story)

The approval rating on Iraq was unchanged from a poll in late May, and the disapproval figure marked an increase of 2 percentage points.

But the poll also found that issues other than the Iraq war may be dragging down Bush's numbers.

Respondents expressed even stronger disapproval of his handling of the economy, energy policy, health care and Social Security.

The lone bright spot for the president in the poll was his handling of terrorism, which scored a 55 percent approval rating, compared to just 41 percent who disapproved.

The president's worst numbers in the latest poll came on the issue of Social Security, with respondents disapproving of his performance by a margin of more than 2-to-1 -- 64 percent to 31 percent.

Bush has made changing the Social Security system a signature issue of his second term.

He has proposed creating voluntary government-sponsored personal retirement accounts for workers 55 and younger.

Under his proposal, workers could invest a portion of their Social Security taxes in a range of government-selected funds in exchange for lower guaranteed benefits at retirement.

The plan has run into stiff opposition from Democrats, who say the accounts are too risky and will undermine the Social Security system. Some Republicans also are wary of taking on such a politically risky idea.

On the economy, only 41 percent of poll respondents said they approved of Bush's performance, compared to 55 percent who disapproved.

On energy policy, only 36 percent approved, while 53 percent disapproved; and on health care, 34 percent approved and 59 percent disapproved.

The poll results were based on interviews from Friday to Sunday with 1,009 American adults.
    Last edited by rrussou812; 06.28.05 at 12:11 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Zogby's numbers are completely different with under 30 voters showing owerwhelming support for ss reform...same with the under 55 crowd...the over 65 crowd is where the numbers go against the Bush plan...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

It's not about SS, Sacto. It's about his inability to address the real issues, such as Medicare. Hell, the fact that a good portion of our military families have to struggle to find healthcare because of the failing Tricare system doesn't even get mentioned. It's not as though he even makes an effort with the real problems--he doesn't address them, and seems to pretend they don't exist.

That Tricare mess goes back to what I was saying in another thread about everyone clamoring to support the troops, while nobody is taking care of soldiers and their families. Lots of talk on the parts of our "leaders" yet very little action.

Sinner's Swing! chewbaccamonkeylunch's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning and Balance (Tie)
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

I'd be a whole hell of a lot better off if he could get his SS plan through with private accounts. Millions of others would too. I'm a little dissapointed he isn't trying harder on that front. Mike, it IS a real problem when the govt. takes a certain percentage of your income right off the top and doesn't give you any kind of return on it. You'd be better off later in life with it too.
    The trashman was my hero.......
    -Seenbad

Last Online

06.24.09 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

The problem he has with selling his program on SS is the market. It's a lot easier to sell people on private accounts when the stock market is growing. During our President's tenure (and given that we were attacked) the market is flat, with inflation sure to rise based on energy costs. With a flat market, it will be tough to sell.

It would have worked in the 90's during "irrational exuberance."
    You know the best tone I ever had was with that little bandmaster cranked to 10. Edward Van Halen, 1980, Guitar Player Magazine.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Actually, you may not be better off. I'd be pretty surprised if many of us were. Seriously, have a look at the SSA's website. Learn about the funding gap, how it will possibly affect you, and their suggested remedies. We've had quite a few threads on this. If you want, dig one up and see the arguments for yourself. In short, you're looking at SS as retirement income for later in life. That's just not what it's intended for. My retirement will be financed by myself, thank you. I'm successful enough and smart enough to take care of myself.

Sure, Bush could talk about oil and energy, but he won't. He could discuss how the dollars poor Americans filter through Walmart to China are used to bid up oil prices, further pinching poor Americans. He won't. He could talk about how the Chinese are also buying up our future with that cash, by purchasing the debt that he seems to love so much. But hey, who wants to worry about things like a Medicare crisis that dwarfs SS, how we ourselves are financing those that are driving our oil prices up, and how we're saddling ourselves with enormous debt that will come back to bite us in the ass in the future. We're mortgaging our futures in some pretty serious ways, squandering the economic advantages that we now have, and focusing on small problems--and failing to solve them.

National leadership is about where we'll be in 10-20-40 years. It's not about individual retirement accounts that won't markedly change anyone's future. It's about us as a society and a nation, and the foreseeable crises that we should be working on now. I can handle and plan for my own life--it's the larger problems that I as an individual can't deal with. That's where our President needs to have the courage to go. It's where he hasn't shown the courage or leadership to go. He's pandering to individual needs, which people can and should care to themselves. I expect more from our President and you should, too.
    Last edited by MikeL; 06.28.05 at 08:57 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL
    In short, you're looking at SS as retirement income for later in life. That's just not what it's intended for.
    Well, yes and no. No, I'm not dependent on SS as retirement income for later in life.

Yes, I know what it was intended for. I also know what a joke it is in its current form. I wonder if you would agree with me that SS should be phased gradually back to what it was originally intended for (or as close as possible to it).

My retirement will be financed by myself, thank you. I'm successful enough and smart enough to take care of myself.
    Good! That makes two of us.
    -Seenbad

Middle of Tornado/earthquake alley.... so confused!!!
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

07.22.17 @ 01:18 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

It's not about SS, Sacto. It's about his inability to address the real issues, such as Medicare. Hell, the fact that a good portion of our military families have to struggle to find healthcare because of the failing Tricare system doesn't even get mentioned. It's not as though he even makes an effort with the real problems--he doesn't address them, and seems to pretend they don't exist.

That Tricare mess goes back to what I was saying in another thread about everyone clamoring to support the troops, while nobody is taking care of soldiers and their families. Lots of talk on the parts of our "leaders" yet very little action.
    As a military wife, I have to agree with you there MikeL. It seems our options for on base care are slimming down alot here lately. Then when you need to go off base for something, it takes forever to get a letter of referal. And you better have that letter or you pay 100% out of pocket. For the most part, healtcare is pretty good. Still cheaper than not being military, but with the way things are going away here, I really worry about a few years from now. On top of having to worry about hubby getting sent off to war.
    http://www.myspace.com/texaschic22
    It's private.. but if you at least say who you are from VH links I will add ya!

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by chewbaccamonkeylunch
    I wonder if you would agree with me that SS should be phased gradually back to what it was originally intended for (or as close as possible to it).
    What I'd like to see is some means testing. If people are truly unable to live on their own retirement incomes or have a disability that prevents them from earning an income, then SS seems entirely appropriate to me. I don't mind being taxed for that, as it does exactly what it claims to--provides security to society in a financial sense. If people are taking 20 year vacations at the end of their lives, then perhaps we as a society need to re-evaluate that. If they can provide for themselves, that's great. If they're doing it on my back, that's not so great.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Poundcake
    As a military wife, I have to agree with you there MikeL. It seems our options for on base care are slimming down alot here lately. Then when you need to go off base for something, it takes forever to get a letter of referal. And you better have that letter or you pay 100% out of pocket. For the most part, healtcare is pretty good. Still cheaper than not being military, but with the way things are going away here, I really worry about a few years from now. On top of having to worry about hubby getting sent off to war.
    I've read a fair number of stories where off base care was denied, with the practitioners not accepting Tricare for two reasons: Uncle Sam is slow to pay, and Uncle Sam caps payments well below the market rate. We're expecting a lot of sacrifices not just from our troops, but from their families as well. What's a young woman with a child that needs care supposed to do when her husband is deployed and she can't secure the care the child needs? It's shameful, and we can and should do better.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

11.25.14 @ 09:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

I have several issues w/Bush-SS though is not one of them. Our president and his administration are so off base on some many things. There's this war we are in-I won't get into that. There's the sky high gas prices which he seems unwilling to do anything about. Of course, he and many of his cabinet have vested oil interests, so that doesn't surprise me he wouldn't do anything about that. Sure, let's look into steroids in sports, a real crucial issue that is affecting all of us and our pocketbooks, but let's not look at these gas prices. To be honest I could care less if every athlete is juiced up to the max-it doesn't affect my daily life. Finally, our fine president proposed cutting subsidies for rice crops. Bear in mind, our president was once governor of Texas, a state which has many rice producers. Susidies in the past few years are the only thing keeping most farmers in business-my family included. I realize most of you don't understand the need for subsidies, but trust me, they are vital in this day and age when you have diesel at 60 year highs. Thank God he can't run again!
    LSU Tigers 2003 & 2007 National Champs
    Detroit Pistons 2004 NBA Champs

If looks could kill, I'd stare at everybody!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Sounds sane to me. Although I do like the sound of a 20 year vacation. Better start saving a little more!
    -Seenbad

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

We're expecting a lot of sacrifices not just from our troops, but from their families as well..... It's shameful, and we can and should do better.
    Damn straight.

I'm agreeing with Mike twice today already.....

:watchesforlightning:
    -Seenbad

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by csm5150
    Thank God he can't run again!
    Amen.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:09 AM
    Liked 1,481 Times in 903 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpaw
    Amen.
    I didn't vote for him either time. My state (CT) is blue.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com