Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: THD hotplate

Last Online

07.20.14 @ 01:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default THD hotplate

Im kinda interested in getting one of these form my 5150, because i loose so much sustain when practicing by myself and the amp just sounds wimpy. Are these good for beefening up the tone and sustain? Can someone explain?

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

"Loss of Sustain" and "5150 amp" are two phrases I doubt I've ever heard together.

Wow. Well, I'm going to say "no", but I'm sure someone will pipe-up and say "yes".

I do think the amp sounds better when the SPEAKERS are pushed harder, but that has nothing to do with volume attenuation.

What you're trying to do is increase power tube saturation, adding distortion to an amp that already has too much, IMO.

But you may find some use for it. I'm sure nobody recommended to Eddie that he use a Phase 90 as a treble boost for solos.....so who am I say?

Last Online

07.20.14 @ 01:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i dunno, when practicing with my band it sounds great, its just for lower volumes. It seems kinda complicated though and i researched and heard it can damage your tubes and stuff!!

Last Online

09.07.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I highly reccomend popping in JJ's tubes. It will wake the amp up considerably. I use a hotplate and it's great because the transformer doesn't really kick in until around 5 on the post.
    sgill72

"I'm just a punk kid who plays guitar."

Modern Day Romeos
    http://www.moderndayromeos.com

Last Online

12.31.06 @ 08:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gman...It's won't work on a 5150 like you want it to.....I bought one and tried it.

There is so much preamp gain on a 5150 (Mesa recto etc) that when you use one of those load boxes to saturate the power tubes...you gain nothing.

They work good for Plexis, Fenders and many other lower gain amps that need to saturate power tube sections.

You can use lower wattage speakers, such as Vintage 30's.....or pull out 2 of the power tubes to run it at half power....that may help.

Another option is to put a good OD or distortion pedal in front of it to beef up the sound at low volumes. Stock 5150's usually need to be loud to really sound good IMO. I had JJ's and a bias mod in mine and every pedal boss made....it sounded great at low volumes....but I still sold it and moved on to something that works better for me personally...a Vetta HD.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.24.12 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use a hotplate with my marshall dsl and it does make quite a bit of difference and i think it would for a 5150 also. I had a 5150 combo that was buzzy and thin esp at low volume. I thought that it was that amp so i sold it and went to marshall, which once i played it at home ( bedroom levels ) it sounded the same way. I was ready to sell it and on a whim bought a hotplate and it really changed the amp. the dsl and 5150 do a lot of preamp distortion, but the power tubes fill it out and really make the eq come alive. I recorded some ccomparison clips a while back and emailed them to a buddy who is "into tone" and he said it could tell a definite difference. there is more sustain fuller notes and my daughter can sleep downstairs. the coolest thing is i can really back off the gain and get a very nice distortion, whereas with the 5150 i always had the gain up way to high for the amp to get any life out of it.
    " if this band fails I'll take up the tuba " Eddie Van Halen
    And playing 3rd tuba in the pasedena marching band Mr Edward Van Halen

Last Online

12.31.06 @ 08:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree that it would work much better on a Marshall DSL.....not nearly as much preamp gain as a 5150. The the only stock Marshall that comes close is a Silver Jubilee (or Slash) model IMO.

There is nothing wrong with testing one out.....just make sure you can return it if it does not work...that's all. I was really hoping for a miracle.....but it made zero difference on my set-up.

But then again mine was modded and the bias was set hot....and I was running JJ's.

Buy one and let us know how it works!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

01.03.07 @ 12:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guitar08man
    Im kinda interested in getting one of these form my 5150, because i loose so much sustain when practicing by myself and the amp just sounds wimpy. Are these good for beefening up the tone and sustain? Can someone explain?

I don't know about tone and sustain, but they are damn good for keeping a cup of coffee warm.
    (.)(.)

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.11.06 @ 05:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll take on the challenge and post a statement that supports the Hotplate (or similar product). I'm not a 5150 owner, not my cup of tea. Anyway, if you set the 5150 amp where it sounds good to you as stated above, then you attenuate with the Hotplate -4, -8 or -12 db, there really is no added audible fizz or coloration. Only when you get down into -16 and bedroom volume do you notice an audible change in the tone. That Hotplate is taking that output down to the equivalent of 6 watts at that point. I would imagine that at -16 and the preamp distoriton created by the 5150 it would probably sound pretty yucko. I use mine all the time but with my non-master volume Peacemaker or Super Lead. I just use a Marshall 2204 if volume is an issue.