Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Default 14 Year Old killed In Shark Attack In Florida

'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Last Online

05.26.06 @ 06:05 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not to be insensitive to the victim, but the shark probably confused her with a seal or thought she was competing with him for a nearby bait.

BTW, Shark Week starts on Sunday, 7/17/05 on the Discovery Channel.
    "Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains."

Sir Winston Churchill

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

That's sad. If I ever go to Florida, I don't think I will go swimming.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

She was almost 900 feet off-shore, where the depth is like a trillion feet. There's going to be more than sand and bubbles in the water out there.

Last Online

05.26.06 @ 06:05 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeRose
    That's sad. If I ever go to Florida, I don't think I will go swimming.
    My brother and I vacation in Florida (gulf side) every year, and spend hours doing watersports and swimming. While I'm sure there are sharks nearby, we avoid talking about it; otherwise, we would never get in the water.
    "Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains."

Sir Winston Churchill

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

02.10.10 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

SweetEmotion is right about the shark confusing her with some form of food. That was the first death in a year. It's very uncommon. I live down here and you really don't hear much of this happening. With the bays and oceans you have to be careful when you are paddling on boogie or surf boards. All the sharks see is a large body and fin like apendages flapping. I don't mean to sound harsh. But we just look like food to them.

Some beaches have buoy markers out. They also usually have planes and copters flying doing shark watches. That of course isn't a 100% safe guard.

I live inland. You should see all the people that water ski and swim in the lakes here that are full of gators and snakes. Wouldn't get me in that water for anything. I've boated on these lakes but there is no way I'd even get on a wave runner around here. I've had run ins with Water Moccasins in my yard there is no way I would get on a wave runner and let one get that close to my foot in the water. Those things are mean.
    "Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
    --Mark Twain

There's no one as smart as a gambler at the track putting thier last $10.00 on the longest shot of the day.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How'd I do that?
    Last edited by Sunya; 06.27.05 at 12:18 PM.
    "Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
    --Mark Twain

There's no one as smart as a gambler at the track putting thier last $10.00 on the longest shot of the day.

Last Online

04.23.07 @ 08:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I totally avoid the beaches.

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Second Shark Attack In Three Days Off Florida Coast

POSTED: 2:21 pm EDT June 27, 2005
    UPDATED: 3:25 pm EDT June 27, 2005

PENSACOLA, Fla. -- A shark attacked and critically injured a teenage boy off Florida's Panhandle on Monday, two days after a 14-year-old Louisiana girl died after a shark bit her leg at another Panhandle beach.

SHARK ATTACKS
    How Common Are They?
    The boy, whose age and name wasn't immediately released, was bitten off Cape San Blas and was taken to Bay Medical Center in Panama City shortly before noon Monday, hospital spokeswoman Christa Hild said. The boy was listed in critical condition with severe injuries, but the nature of the injuries were not yet being released, Hild said.

The boy underwent surgery and was receiving treatment, and his injury had stabilized by Monday afternoon, Hild said.

"That means he's going to be OK," Hild said.

Cape San Blas is a narrow spit of land protruding into the Gulf of Mexico from Gulf County, about 80 miles southwest of Tallahassee.

The cape is a popular vacation destination more than 80 miles east of the area where 14-year-old Jamie Marie Daigle was fatally injured by a shark Saturday.

Daigle, of Gonzales, La., had been had been swimming with a friend about 100 yards from shore in neighboring Walton County when a shark bit her in the leg. Paramedics and an air ambulance crew were unable to revive her.

Gulf County sheriff's officials didn't immediately return calls seeking comment on Monday's attack.

Officials were expected to release Daigle's autopsy results later Monday. At a news conference, Erich Ritter of the Shark Attack Institute said the girl was likely attacked by a bull shark that was about 6 feet long, according to measurements taken of the bite.

Autopsy Of Shark Attack Victim Planned Capt. Danny Glidewell, spokesman for the Walton County Sheriff's Office, said the county has called in 10 off-duty deputies to beef up beach patrols and increased air and water patrols to look out for sharks.

Volunteer firefighter Chris White was vacationing on the beach Saturday when he heard cries for help. He leaped into the water to assist Daigle, not knowing she had been fatally injured by a shark.

"I saw an empty boogie board, no rider," said White, 23. "At first I thought she had maybe drowned or gone under."

But Daigle, who had been swimming with a friend about 100 yards from shore, had been bit in the leg. Flesh had been torn from her hip to her knee, exposing her bone.

Swimming out to the bloody scene, White passed Daigle's friend, 14-year-old Felicia Venable, who was swimming frantically back to shore.

"She couldn't tell me anything," said the state health inspector and volunteer firefighter from Carrollton, Ga., who recently completed emergency medical training. "She was pretty hysterical."

When White and another man with a raft reached Daigle, surfer Tim Dicus had already put the unconscious girl on his board.

"He was yelling 'There's a shark, there's a shark!"' White said. "He was looking for the shark, I grabbed her, pulled her up into the raft."

The shark returned as the trio pulled the girl to shore.

"Tim hollered 'He's here, he's here! There's the shark!"' White said. "Immediately, I looked down and he was swimming at my feet. We stopped swimming, just went limp vertical in the water, just dangled my legs, tried not to look like any kind of food or anything."

White said the surfer distracted the shark. Dicus said he punched it in the nose.

The others continued bringing Daigle to shore, but paramedics were unable to revive her.

After the attack Saturday, a 20-mile stretch of shore was closed to swimmers, with twin red flags warning people to stay out of the water. Beaches reopened Sunday.

A makeshift memorial of painted sand dollars, a boogie board and a magnolia was created on the beach where Daigle was brought to shore. Someone wrote in the sand, "Bless U."

Florida averaged more than 30 shark attacks a year from 2000 to 2003, but there were only 12 attacks off the state's coast last year, according to statistics compiled by the American Elasmobranch Society and the Florida Museum of Natural History.

George Burgess, curator of the International Shark Attack File at University of Florida, said Sunday that bull sharks are common in the area, are aggressive and can be found in shallow water. He said that of 500 documented attacks in Florida, the fatality rate was 2.4 percent.

"Sharks are one of many hazards that one may encounter when entering the sea," he said. "There is no reason to think that this is the beginning of a trend."
    Last edited by TheresOnlyOneWay; 06.27.05 at 12:27 PM.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or 1984 by mood
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

07.19.13 @ 08:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default I know it's a bit besides the point...

... but this is the umpteenth time I've heard about driving off a shark by slugging it in the nose. Anybody know if that really works?
    Last edited by The SLAWTERHOUSE Bug; 06.27.05 at 12:37 PM. Reason: typos
    Classic Van Halen. In Pace Requiescant.

"...sure I'm on zoloft. That's so I don't hafta kill none o' y'all..." - Mike Tyson

and by the way...

Eat Us And Smile.

Last Online

01.13.07 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm gonna be vacationing on the gulf side this summer with my mom. Now I won't be able to swim!!!
    So you broke down, trying to leave town, I broke down crying on your return. You left me feeling hopeful, I'll never see your face again. You made for a bad lover's liver. You stole all the covers and busted my head. You made me such an asshole, I wish we'd never met. I'm tired of being bored. I'm through with the headaches. Hiding my hands that tremble like earthquakes. Under the table, under the daytime sky, Good Fucking Bye- Good Fucking Bye, Alkaline Trio

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Where are the gulf side. This is way up in the panhandle. Near Mississippi. You going to be down further near Tampa?
    --Mark Twain

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being,5150,WhenIt'sLove
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic
    She was almost 900 feet off-shore, where the depth is like a trillion feet. There's going to be more than sand and bubbles in the water out there.

900 feet??? I find that a little hard to believe that a 14-yr. old girl could be 900! feet off-shore on a boogie board. That's a long-ass way out. I thought I heard it was about 100ft. off-shore or something like that.
    Meet me in Cabo!

Last Online

01.13.07 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sunya
    Where are the gulf side. This is way up in the panhandle. Near Mississippi. You going to be down further near Tampa?
    Well, it's in Clearwater, which is on the opposite side of Florida from Daytona, I think.
    So you broke down, trying to leave town, I broke down crying on your return. You left me feeling hopeful, I'll never see your face again. You made for a bad lover's liver. You stole all the covers and busted my head. You made me such an asshole, I wish we'd never met. I'm tired of being bored. I'm through with the headaches. Hiding my hands that tremble like earthquakes. Under the table, under the daytime sky, Good Fucking Bye- Good Fucking Bye, Alkaline Trio

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evhslilhottie
    Well, it's in Clearwater, which is on the opposite side of Florida from Daytona, I think.
    That's just north of Tampa. Clearwater, Tampa, St Petersburg are all right there together. They are a long way away from where the shark attacks were. If you get a copy of the state map you'll see. You'll love the Clearwater area. The beaches are beautiful. Well they were the last time I was over that way. I haven't been to Clearwater since the hurricanes last year. I've been to Tampa though. They work very hard to keep those beaches looking good. And they give beach reports daily. If you are staying a hotel the front desk will keep on top of the reports. If you are staying with family, they will know how to get the information. When are you coming?
    --Mark Twain