Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Romeo Delight TakeYourTequilaHome's Avatar
    Last Online

07.21.05 @ 03:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Ed's on that page, that one and ....

I got to page 40 of the August 2005 issue of Guitar one, during my morning constitutional. (Could have read further had I eaten more roughage yesterday, but I digress.)

Ed's influence on guitar never ceases to amaze me. His talent debued to the world at large way back in early '78. And today he's mentioned on ...

... Page 26, in a segment called "Under The Influence," Ted Nugent mentions Ed as - an influence.

... Page 28, in "Tales From The Woodshed: G1 Reader of the Month," Sam Kelly gives awe to Ed's ability to "hear something in his head and then play it on guitar."

... Page 36, in "Music Store Anthems," Eruption is mentioned as second to Stairway to Heaven as the tune most often played, more times than not in a spectacularly bad way, in local stores throughout the planet.

I'm sure he's on other pages, but not enough bran, lettuce or Metamucil yesterday.

The thing is, I believe the future will be filled with pages and pages in guitar mags where Eddie Van Halen's influence on guitarists is still being mentioned.
    "The teachers all gave up on me, no matter what they say I disagree." Fools, WACF

“Seventy-Eight-Five-Two-Three Give me quad over kkkkkk … Read out of seven kkkkkk … Seven-Five I can’t collect. Can you redue that? … Mayday! Mayday! Mayday! kkkkkkLoss of Control, WACF

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

EVH was a curse in the early 90s. I had to do the two-handed thing to cover one of my band's songs (the solo had been triple tracked) and at times (usually the college crowds) it was NOT a popular maneuver.

Romeo Delight TakeYourTequilaHome's Avatar
    Last Online

07.21.05 @ 03:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yah, I hate to admit it, only because it's such a shame, but I had similar experiences that decade. I'd request a Halen tune at ANY DJ'ed event and they usually acted as if I sneezed anthrax on him. No appreciation for guitar-centered muscianship.
    "The teachers all gave up on me, no matter what they say I disagree." Fools, WACF

“Seventy-Eight-Five-Two-Three Give me quad over kkkkkk … Read out of seven kkkkkk … Seven-Five I can’t collect. Can you redue that? … Mayday! Mayday! Mayday! kkkkkkLoss of Control, WACF

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

5150 from LWAN
    Last Online

11.01.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfiddl
    EVH was a curse in the early 90s. I had to do the two-handed thing to cover one of my band's songs (the solo had been triple tracked) and at times (usually the college crowds) it was NOT a popular maneuver.
    I actually got kicked out of a band in the mid 90's, cause the singer (talented one) said I "sound too much like Eddie Van Halen when you solo." I was replaced with a guy who made C.C.DeVille sound like a virtuoso. To this day people still through that at me as an insult. I can never figure out why some people think that style of playing is such a bad thing, even when everyone lists Eddie as an influence.
    "You will respect my authoritah!" Ptl.Cartman

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfiddl
    I forgot to add that we were an original music band. Ain't that screwy?

Last Online

12.31.06 @ 08:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep....My teenage kid says when a guitar player does a solo....he is just showing off and not really acting as part of the team...but proping up his ego and putting himself first.

Man I miss the 80's...when bands were all about the guitar players. Hopefully it comes back soon.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VHfanOU812
    Yep....My teenage kid says when a guitar player does a solo....he is just showing off and not really acting as part of the team...but proping up his ego and putting himself first.

Man I miss the 80's...when bands were all about the guitar players. Hopefully it comes back soon.
    Actually, it never went away. Listen to any "Jam Band" that writes and performs great songs and jams within the context of the song, i.e. Allman Brothers, Gov't Mule, Widespread Panic, Umphrees's McGee, etc. Great, great players with shitloads of fans who love to hear the guitarist or guitarists solo. What never has changed is that these bands are hugely popular but usually within the confines of the "scene" or genre of music they play. Take for example, the Allman Brothers. Their current line-up may be as good as any they've ever had (including the first of Duane Allman and Dicky Betts). Both Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks are jaw droppingly good, and are amazing at playing the huge catalog of the ABB. Then throw in the fact that the ABB have great "songs" and you've got a killer combination. Many people dig this stuff, it just ain't to be found on the pop charts or MTV.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VHfanOU812

Your kid must hate power trios..?

I miss the 60's and 70's when it was about guitar players and not all the flash and glam... much more earthy time and music ruled rather than aqua-net and maybelline!
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com