Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

09.16.13 @ 01:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Marshall TSL Mods

I have recently obtained a Marshall TSL 122 combo. I got it on ebay in good condition. The tubes are stock and the only mod is that one speaker has been replaced with a G12T-75.

It has one Celestion G12T-75, and one Celestion Heritage that is marked only with G12 and 8 ohms. I am assuming this speaker came with the amp.

The amp is nice but sounds too bright and buzzy on the crunch and lead channels. I have to roll the treble way back. I want it to be much warmer and to have more of a smooth "brown sound". It sounds very harsh. I am looking for Van Halen, G'n'R, and Satch style lead sounds.

I want to replace at least one of the speakers with a Vintage 30. I'm not sure which one to replace. I read the Heritage is a Greenback reissue and should only be rated at around 30 watts. It isn't however marked the way I would expect and I can't find out the exact model. Maybe it is a special design for the amp? Is the Heritage warmer than the G12T-75? I haven't A/B'd them yet. Should I keep the G12T-75 for it's power handling? What will give me the sound I'm looking for. I might eventually replace both with Vintage 30's but not yet.

I've heard JJ E34L's are warmer and darker than normal EL34's and I'm sure new tubes wouldn't hurt anyway. I am planning on ordering the Standard Retube Kit from Eurotubes. Will this help me also? Has anyone tried them in a TSL?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for sweetening the sound of this amp with some affordable mods? I'm willing to try anything short of sending it to Voodoo Amps. Thanx.

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 02:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

I was going to mention Voodoo Labs before you put that at the bottom of your post. The speaker switch will smooth things out--the G12T75 is very
    spikey in the low and treble frequencies--more of a mid scoop. These will be
    rounded out nicely by a Vintage 30 or the like--just make sure the speaker wattage conforms with the output wattage of the amp.

I would recommend getting a THD Hotplate or some other kind of power soak. That should eliminate the "buzzy" characteristics of the TSL (which presumably are coming at a lower volume level?). Any high watt tube amp
    set at or below 2 is probably going to sound thin and buzzy, fyi. Hopefully, it should sound full when you crank it a bit.

Have fun w/ it and good luck.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Sinner's Swing!

10.26.16 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

The TSL comes STANDARD with 2 mismatched speakers, one Heritage and one Celestion.

Whether yours still had a modded speaker or not, I cannot say.