Register
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Last Online

06.24.09 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default No Flag Burning - Is it speech?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/06/....ap/index.html

Looks like the "patriots" are about to ban burning the flag. My friends, I submit to you that our soldiers are not fighting for the flag, but for the ability to be free to express our opinions, including dissent.

I vow to burn a flag the day the day this passes, in honor of all those who have fought for my right to dissent.

God Bless America.
    You know the best tone I ever had was with that little bandmaster cranked to 10. Edward Van Halen, 1980, Guitar Player Magazine.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.20.07 @ 05:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I never understood what the big deal was about burning the flag. It's a symbol, nothing more. What it represents is importnat not the cloth. Who cares if someone wants to burn a flag. It's their right. If they paid money for that flag they can do what they want with it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I tend to agree with you.
    This swing to the (hard) right is getting outta hand.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

See, the amendment shouldn't restrict flag-burning, it should state that beating the shit out of someone who is burning the flag is ALSO protected as free speech.

Fair is fair.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300
    See, the amendment shouldn't restrict flag-burning, it should state that beating the shit out of someone who is burning the flag is ALSO protected as free speech.

Fair is fair.
    I never have and never will burn a flag. But Axx, my friend, that is as ignorant as it comes. Burning a flag doesn't cause physical harm to anyone. It's not an assault on anything but an inanimate object. So your statement holds no water. Now, if someone were attempting to choke, hang or hurt someone with the flag by using it as a weapon, then by all means...stomp a mudhole in them and walk it dry. But, to beat on someone for exercising their freedom of speech is nothing more than mob mentality. Not to mention that it just could prove the point of the person protesting in that fashion.

In general, people that burn the flag in protest, are protesting the leadership of the country, not the troops or other citizens. Hell, for the most part, they're not even really sure what they are protesting about...but they know burning a flag will draw attention to them and what ever cause they're trying to get noticed. To allow jack booted thuggery to take place is playing right in to their hands. Ignore them, it loses it's effectiveness. Beating on them makes them look like hero's and the person hitting them like a loser.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by mistere
    I tend to agree with you.
    This swing to the (hard) right is getting outta hand.
    What "swing to the hard right?"
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Album

Balance, 1984, VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, I'll Wait
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 AM
    Liked 56 Times in 18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Redrockinmonkeyboy
    Burning a flag doesn't cause physical harm to anyone. It's not an assault on anything but an inanimate object. So your statement holds no water.
    In essence, our soldiers and yes, our government, defend the constitution. I don't think there are ver many soldiers who would say, "I'm against flag burning." I'm certainly against an amendment banning flag burning, and yes, I'm a Republican.

However, as ignorant as saying that a punch in the face is an appropriate punishment for flag burning, saying that a flag is an inanimate object strikes me as being a tad narrow-minded too. Burn a flag in front of a veteran. It's definitely your right as an American, but please don't tell that veteran that a flag is an inanimate object. Don't tell a Marine who climbed up Mt. Surabachi on Iwo Jima and planted that flag, that it carries no meaning; that it's just a simple piece of cloth.

Now, I'm sure that since your post was well-thought out and not abrasive at all, that you're an intelligent person. I'm just presenting my point of view as concisely and openly as I can. I'm sure you understand and support our soldiers and veterans, regardless of political affiliation. This isn't a red vs. blue, liberal vs. conservative thread (yet), but I hope that you can understand why some people, who might be in favor of such an amendment, walk a difficult line. For a lot of people, a flag does carry a very deep, significant and possibly even painful meaning.
    "And now for the benediction..."
    - DLR (Blossom 5/29/02)

"It's a great day for Hockey."
    - "Badger" Bob Johnson

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or 1984 by mood
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

07.19.13 @ 08:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The significance of our flag arises in part from the very right to burn it.

As it happens, inanimate cloth is all this amendment would protect, even as it compromises one of the key principles that give the substance of our flag meaning.

With apologies to Voltaire, I may want to deck you for burning the flag, but I'll defend to the death your right to do it.
    Classic Van Halen. In Pace Requiescant.

"...sure I'm on zoloft. That's so I don't hafta kill none o' y'all..." - Mike Tyson

and by the way...

Eat Us And Smile.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:09 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 13 Posts

Does it really matter that much to you, that you can't burn the flag without penalty? I would care if someone burned a cross or desecrated it somehow, because it's a symbol of what I believe in- and you're damn right, I'd stop anyone trying to do it- It would make sick.- many Americans feel the same way about our flag. Yes, it's just fabric or whatever, but it represents so much. It does matter a lot to many millions of Americans, most importantly our armed forces and veterans. Yes it matters to me. Remember 911, and the firefighters raising the flag over the rubble that was the Twin Towers? You try taking that from them and burn it, for whatever reasons you hate this country and it's government, and see what kind of reaction you'll get. This isn't about right or left, it's about doing the proper, respectful thing. It wasn't all right-wingers in the House that voted for it.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Redrockinmonkeyboy
    I never have and never will burn a flag. But Axx, my friend, that is as ignorant as it comes. Burning a flag doesn't cause physical harm to anyone. It's not an assault on anything but an inanimate object. So your statement holds no water. Now, if someone were attempting to choke, hang or hurt someone with the flag by using it as a weapon, then by all means...stomp a mudhole in them and walk it dry. But, to beat on someone for exercising their freedom of speech is nothing more than mob mentality. Not to mention that it just could prove the point of the person protesting in that fashion.

In general, people that burn the flag in protest, are protesting the leadership of the country, not the troops or other citizens. Hell, for the most part, they're not even really sure what they are protesting about...but they know burning a flag will draw attention to them and what ever cause they're trying to get noticed. To allow jack booted thuggery to take place is playing right in to their hands. Ignore them, it loses it's effectiveness. Beating on them makes them look like hero's and the person hitting them like a loser.
    I'll be brief.

Anybody who burns a flag is looking for a fight. MY interest is protecting the guy that wants to bring it to them.

I don't give a fuck about flag-burning. I also think that a flag that's illegal to burn isn't worth burning.

In California, the dickless-wonders out here burn the flag so often that it's lost any impact whatsoever, hence the main reason I don't give a shit. But if say, your cousin, who just returned from Iraq or one of his buddies, happens to witness a duchebag lighting a flag ablaze your cousin should have some leagal protection against a reasonable involuntary response, i.e. giving the comestain a mouth full of bloody chicklets.

The leadership of the country don't give a shit if a flag is burned, the only people who are hurt are guys like your cousin.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by stratogibson
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/06/....ap/index.html

Looks like the "patriots" are about to ban burning the flag. My friends, I submit to you that our soldiers are not fighting for the flag, but for the ability to be free to express our opinions, including dissent.

I vow to burn a flag the day the day this passes, in honor of all those who have fought for my right to dissent.

God Bless America.
    I'm not gonna be burning any flags, but I see and respect your point. Burning a flag is just as fanatical as worshipping one. I think George Carlin said it best....

"Flags are symbols and I leave symbols to the symbol-minded."
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

5150, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

10.03.13 @ 10:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have nothing against flag burning whatsoever. It lets me know who to point my guns at when the shit hits the fan in this country.

Seriously, though. As someone who served under the flag (for a short time), I believe burning the flag is a political statement, and those are protected by the Constitution. That doesn't mean every time I see some lazy hippie or sick terrorist burning one I don't feel like puking.
    Go Bills and Sabres!

We're NOT Lawyers! www.werenotlawyers.com

Favorite VH Album

FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of the World
    Last Online

04.23.17 @ 12:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The one thing that's made this country stand out from the rest of the pack is well of course of our freedoms and our freedom of speech.

I for one though, disagree with flag burning. I know a lot of folks feel the flag is just a symbol or just a piece of cloth...etc, but it's what that piece of cloth, what that symbol stands for (including freedom of speech among many others).

I think Zorba said it best when he said Remember 911, and the firefighters raising the flag over the rubble that was the Twin Towers? You try taking that from them and burn it, for whatever reasons you hate this country and it's government, and see what kind of reaction you'll get. This isn't about right or left, it's about doing the proper, respectful thing. I couldn't agree more.

Yes those same men and women fought for our freedoms, including burning the symbol of that freedom or anything else in protest...you want to burn it, then yes it is your right to do so, but I just see it as a great disrepect towards the men and women who fought and gave up their lives for that freedom and the right to have what that symbol, that piece of cloth stands for. There's so many other ways to express your freedom of speech (writing your politicians, picketing a gov't office, going on tv/radio and voicing your opinion). Why people feel the need to burn the flag when it represents so many more things than just "the freedom to burn it" or to just protest is beyond me.
    Last edited by rrussou812; 06.22.05 at 09:10 PM.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

It's a symbol, and as such means different things to different people. Plenty of nutjobs will talk tough about it one way or another, but that talk is just as symbolic as the flag--meaningless if not backed up.

If we're going to make something regarding flags into a wrong, we should make mistreatment of a flag the wrong. How many flags were improperly disposed of after all the 9/11 pseudo-patriotism became less fashionable? How many flags are flown at night, without illumination? How many dipshits don't have the gumption to remove their hat and place their hand over their heart when the flag is raised or lowered?

There's a lot of disrespect towards the symbol of our country. Honestly, blatant acts of disrespect--intentional acts--don't bother me nearly as much as the plain ignorance and lack of care that a good 70% of the population displays bothers me. It's that everyday forgetfulness or ambivalence that I think is wrong. It's especially wrong when most of those same people will proudly profess to love their country a great deal. The whole thing disgusts me.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

any American who burns the flag or agrees with that OTHER than in a flag retirement ceremony should be shot on spot.
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

“ Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) ” FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.