Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Default The best movie quotes of all time

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movi....ap/index.html

The best movie quotes of all time
    AFI list topped by 'Frankly, my dear'

Wednesday, June 22, 2005; Posted: 8:35 a.m. EDT (12:35 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Marlon Brando was a contender in the American Film Institute's list of best quotes from U.S. movies. But No. 1 was Rhett Butler's parting shot to Scarlett O'Hara:

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Clark Gable's line to Vivien Leigh in 1939's "Gone With the Wind" led the AFI's list, announced in the organization's annual top-100 special that aired on CBS Tuesday.

Brando had the No. 2 and 3 quotes -- "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse," from "The Godfather" and his "I coulda been a contender" speech from "On the Waterfront."

Judy Garland's Dorothy Gale came in fourth with "Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore," from The Wizard of Oz." At No. 5 was "Here's looking at you, kid," spoken by Rick (Humphrey Bogart) to Ilsa (Ingrid Bergman) in "Casablanca."

Bob Gazzale, producer of the AFI special, expected a "Casablanca" line would top the list, chosen through ballots sent to 1,500 filmmakers, actors, critics and others in Hollywood. Yet once the votes were counted, Rhett's retort seemed an obvious choice, Gazzale said.

"Frankly, it has become kind of the catch phrase of catch phrases," Gazzale said. "It's used in so many different ways. Who hasn't been in a relationship where you really give it your all, whether you're a man or a woman, and finally get to the point where you surrender and take back control of the situation with a simple line from the 1930s?"

Two other lines from "Gone With the Wind" made the top 100, Leigh's "After all, tomorrow is another day" (No. 31) and "As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again" (No. 59).

Rounding out the top 10:

6. "Go ahead, make my day," Clint Eastwood, "Sudden Impact."

7. "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up," Gloria Swanson, "Sunset Blvd."

8. "May the Force be with you," Harrison Ford, "Star Wars."

9. "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night," Bette Davis, "All About Eve."

10. "You talking to me?", Robert De Niro, "Taxi Driver."

"Casablanca" led the list with six quotes, including Bogart's "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship" (No. 20) and "We'll always have Paris" (No. 43), and Bergman's "Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time Goes By' " (No. 28).

Other highlights include Sidney Poitier's "They call me Mister Tibbs!" (No. 16), "In the Heat of the Night"; Roy Scheider's "You're gonna need a bigger boat" (No. 35), "Jaws"; Arnold Schwarzenegger's "I'll be back" (No. 37), "The Terminator"; Renee Zellweger's "You had me at 'hello' " (No. 52), "Jerry Maguire"; Peter Sellers' "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!" (No. 64), "Dr. Strangelove"; and (spoiler warning for those who haven't seen the movie!) Charlton Heston's "Soylent Green is people!" (No. 77), "Soylent Green."

The James Bond series featured two quotes, both from the series' early years with Sean Connery.The oldest line was Al Jolson's "Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard nothin' yet" (No. 71) from 1927's "The Jazz Singer." The newest was Andy Serkis' "My precious" (No. 85) from 2002's "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers."

Rowdy comedy was represented (John Belushi's "Toga! Toga!", No. 82, from "National Lampoon's Animal House"), along with horror (Jack Nicholson's "Here's Johnny!", No. 68, from "The Shining"). So was musical comedy (Barbra Streisand's "Hello, gorgeous," No. 81, from "Funny Girl"), and epic romance (Leonardo DiCaprio's "I'm king of the world!", No. 100, from "Titanic").

Single words made the list, Orson Welles' "Rosebud" (No. 17) from "Citizen Kane" and Walter Brooke's "Plastics" (No. 42) from "The Graduate."

Super-spy James Bond scored with lines that began with original 007 Sean Connery: "Bond. James Bond" (No. 22) from "Dr. No" and "A martini. Shaken, not stirred" (No. 90) from "Goldfinger."

The most recent James Bond, Pierce Brosnan, hosted the AFI quotes special. While some critics carp about omissions from AFI's lists or grouse over the idea of ranking movies, Brosnan said it's all in fun.

"It's an intrinsic part of human nature to rank, file, have a No. 1 and No. 2, to make us all feel better, I think, and to show how clever we are," Brosnan said. "It's purely entertainment."
    Last edited by ZeoBandit; 06.22.05 at 07:03 AM.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I watched that show last night...good stuff. It was amazing to see how many of those classic lines people use in everyday conversation and don't really think of where they came from...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

She's The Woman, Mean Street
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:59 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts

Donor

My personal favorite ( I don't think made the list)..........

Robert Duvall in Apocalypse Now , " Charlie don't surf ! "
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:59 AM
    Liked 413 Times in 248 Posts

"Are you talking to me?"
    "You talkin' to me?"
    "Well I'm the only one here"

I think this could have gotten a little higher than 10, maybe like 7 or 6 but either way this line is awesome, and it shows how only one actor could have pulled it off... Robert Deniro.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

02.26.17 @ 05:10 PM
    Liked 68 Times in 19 Posts

where's fast times at ridgemont high on that?...most quoatable movie ever
    let's be real...EVH was GOD

Runnin' might put too much focus on the fact that there's a little kid on bass - knuck

I see three bona fide ROCK GODS, and then somebody's kid. - CaboTime

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 137 Times in 89 Posts

Wow...a ton of good quotes are out there. Anything from Tombstone, Pulp Fiction, the Blues Brothers could make it.

One of my fav's is the other Dirty Harry famous line

I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum - the most powerful hand gun in the world and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question--Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk!
    Dealing with it.

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

I only saw half of it. I too was hoping something from Tombstone would be on it. "I'm your Huckleberry." Or "I have not yet begun to defile myself."
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:59 AM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Here's the whole entire list:

1. "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn," "Gone With the Wind," 1939.

2. "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse," "The Godfather," 1972.

3. "You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am," "On the Waterfront," 1954.

4. "Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore," "The Wizard of Oz," 1939.

5. "Here's looking at you, kid," "Casablanca," 1942.

6. "Go ahead, make my day," "Sudden Impact," 1983.

7. "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up," "Sunset Blvd.," 1950.

8. "May the Force be with you," "Star Wars," 1977.

9. "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night," "All About Eve," 1950.

10. "You talking to me?" "Taxi Driver," 1976.

11. "What we've got here is failure to communicate," "Cool Hand Luke," 1967.

12. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning," "Apocalypse Now," 1979.

13. "Love means never having to say you're sorry," "Love Story," 1970.

14. "The stuff that dreams are made of," "The Maltese Falcon," 1941.

15. "E.T. phone home," "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial," 1982.

16. "They call me Mister Tibbs!", "In the Heat of the Night," 1967.

17. "Rosebud," "Citizen Kane," 1941.

18. "Made it, Ma! Top of the world!", "White Heat," 1949.

19. "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!", "Network," 1976.

20. "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship," "Casablanca," 1942.

21. "A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti," "The Silence of the Lambs," 1991.

22. "Bond. James Bond," "Dr. No," 1962.

23. "There's no place like home," "The Wizard of Oz," 1939.

24. "I am big! It's the pictures that got small," "Sunset Blvd.," 1950.

25. "Show me the money!", "Jerry Maguire," 1996.

26. "Why don't you come up sometime and see me?", "She Done Him Wrong," 1933.

27. "I'm walking here! I'm walking here!", "Midnight Cowboy," 1969.

28. "Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time Goes By,"' "Casablanca," 1942.

29. "You can't handle the truth!", "A Few Good Men," 1992.

30. "I want to be alone," "Grand Hotel," 1932.

31. "After all, tomorrow is another day!", "Gone With the Wind," 1939.

32. "Round up the usual suspects," "Casablanca," 1942.

33. "I'll have what she's having," "When Harry Met Sally...," 1989.

34. "You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow," "To Have and Have Not," 1944.

35. "You're gonna need a bigger boat," "Jaws," 1975.

36. "Badges? We ain't got no badges! We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinking badges!", "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre," 1948.

37. "I'll be back," "The Terminator," 1984.

38. "Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth," "The Pride of the Yankees," 1942.

39. "If you build it, he will come," "Field of Dreams," 1989.

40. "Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get," "Forrest Gump," 1994.

41. "We rob banks," "Bonnie and Clyde," 1967.

42. "Plastics," "The Graduate," 1967.

43. "We'll always have Paris," "Casablanca," 1942.

44. "I see dead people," "The Sixth Sense," 1999.

45. "Stella! Hey, Stella!", "A Streetcar Named Desire," 1951.

46. "Oh, Jerry, don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars," "Now, Voyager," 1942.

47. "Shane. Shane. Come back!", "Shane," 1953.

48. "Well, nobody's perfect," "Some Like It Hot," 1959.

49. "It's alive! It's alive!", "Frankenstein," 1931.

50. "Houston, we have a problem," "Apollo 13," 1995.

51. "You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?", "Dirty Harry," 1971.

52. "You had me at 'hello,"' "Jerry Maguire," 1996.

53. "One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know," "Animal Crackers," 1930.

54. "There's no crying in baseball!", "A League of Their Own," 1992.

55. "La-dee-da, la-dee-da," "Annie Hall," 1977.

56. "A boy's best friend is his mother," "Psycho," 1960.

57. "Greed, for lack of a better word, is good," "Wall Street," 1987.

58. "Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer," "The Godfather Part II," 1974.

59. "As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again," "Gone With the Wind," 1939.

60. "Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!", "Sons of the Desert," 1933.

61. "Say 'hello' to my little friend!", "Scarface," 1983.

62. "What a dump," "Beyond the Forest," 1949.

63. "Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me. Aren't you?", "The Graduate," 1967.

64. "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!", "Dr. Strangelove," 1964.

65. "Elementary, my dear Watson," "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes," 1929.

66. "Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape," "Planet of the Apes," 1968.

67. "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine," "Casablanca," 1942.

68. "Here's Johnny!", "The Shining," 1980.

69. "They're here!", "Poltergeist," 1982.

70. "Is it safe?", "Marathon Man," 1976.

71. "Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard nothin' yet!", "The Jazz Singer," 1927.

72. "No wire hangers, ever!", "Mommie Dearest," 1981.

73. "Mother of mercy, is this the end of Rico?", "Little Caesar," 1930.

74. "Forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown," "Chinatown," 1974.

75. "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers," "A Streetcar Named Desire," 1951.

76. "Hasta la vista, baby," "Terminator 2: Judgment Day," 1991.

77. "Soylent Green is people!", "Soylent Green," 1973.

78. "Open the pod bay doors, HAL," "2001: A Space Odyssey," 1968.

79. Striker: "Surely you can't be serious." Rumack: "I am serious ... and don't call me Shirley," "Airplane!", 1980.

80. "Yo, Adrian!", "Rocky," 1976.

81. "Hello, gorgeous," "Funny Girl," 1968.

82. "Toga! Toga!", "National Lampoon's Animal House," 1978.

83. "Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make," "Dracula," 1931.

84. "Oh, no, it wasn't the airplanes. It was Beauty killed the Beast," "King Kong," 1933.

85. "My precious," "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," 2002.

86. "Attica! Attica!", "Dog Day Afternoon," 1975.

87. "Sawyer, you're going out a youngster, but you've got to come back a star!", "42nd Street," 1933.

88. "Listen to me, mister. You're my knight in shining armor. Don't you forget it. You're going to get back on that horse, and I'm going to be right behind you, holding on tight, and away we're gonna go, go, go!", "On Golden Pond," 1981.

89. "Tell 'em to go out there with all they got and win just one for the Gipper," "Knute Rockne, All American," 1940.

90. "A martini. Shaken, not stirred," "Goldfinger," 1964.

91. "Who's on first," "The Naughty Nineties," 1945.

92. "Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac ... It's in the hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole!", "Caddyshack," 1980.

93. "Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!", "Auntie Mame," 1958.

94. "I feel the need -- the need for speed!", "Top Gun," 1986.

95. "Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary," "Dead Poets Society," 1989.

96. "Snap out of it!", "Moonstruck," 1987.

97. "My mother thanks you. My father thanks you. My sister thanks you. And I thank you," "Yankee Doodle Dandy," 1942.

98. "Nobody puts Baby in a corner," "Dirty Dancing," 1987.

99. "I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!", "The Wizard of Oz," 1939.

100. "I'm king of the world!", "Titanic," 1997.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

My favorite line ever is by Elvis in "Jailhouse Rock". "That ain't tactics honey...That's just the beast in me."
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum." - Roddy Piper from "They Live"
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by rchop84

I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum - the most powerful hand gun in the world and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question--Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk!
    #51.

There were better lines from "Animal House" than "Toga! Toga!" - the "Pearl Harbour" speech, "I hate those guys", "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son", "You're all worthless and weak! Now drop and give me twenty!", "May we dance wit' yo' dates?", etc.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

...and those are just the clean ones!

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by rchop84
    Wow...a ton of good quotes are out there. Anything from Tombstone, Pulp Fiction, the Blues Brothers could make it.

Good call.

I'd like to add: "Please? I gots ta know."

I think that's what Harry's target said, not sure about the please part tho.

Fast Times had a number of quotables thanks to one Spicoli among others.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 137 Times in 89 Posts

94. "I feel the need -- the need for speed!", "Top Gun," 1986

C'mon...this isn't the Top 100 Gayest movie quotes.
    Dealing with it.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by billy007
    #51.

There were better lines from "Animal House" than "Toga! Toga!" - the "Pearl Harbour" speech, "I hate those guys", "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son", "You're all worthless and weak! Now drop and give me twenty!", "May we dance wit' yo' dates?", etc.
    You fucked up. You trusted us. - Otter
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One