Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:52 AM
    Liked 2,101 Times in 686 Posts

Default Nuno on Eddie and his sound

Nuno Bettencourt comes to town

NUNO Bettencourt, former guitarist for the metal band Extreme and currently the frontman of Near Death Experience, held a standing-room-only guitar clinic last June 9 at the Yupangco Building in Makati.

Bettencourt, whom most Filipinos remember as the long-haired back-up to Gary Cherone in Extreme's More than Words video, held up the show three hours after it was scheduled to start because of "technical difficulties."

"We're really sorry, Nuno's very meticulous with the sound," explained one of the organizers as fans began shouting for the gates to open. When the audience was finally allowed to go into the cramped venue, which happened to be one of the showrooms, Bettencourt quipped, "Where have you been? We've been waiting for hours."

Other members of Bettencourt's band backed him up for the night. Near Death Experience, which just recently changed its name from Population 1, is composed of Bettencourt (vocals/guitar), Steve Ferlazzo (keyboards), Joe Pessia (bass) and Kevin Figueiredo (drums).
    The quartet, which just recently toured Japan and Korea, is set to release an album in a few months.

However, the band hasn't been Bettencourt's only involvement in music for the past few years. The 38-year-old has also had recording engagements with numerous artists like Tantric, Toni Braxton, Wyclef Jean and BB Mak.

For the duration of the night, Bettencourt played a number of Extreme songs and some Led Zeppelin covers.

Finale

"More than Words," the big hit which propelled Extreme to the top of the Billboard charts, was supposed to be the concert's finale, but Bettencourt belted out some riffs and said, "I can't end on that song."

When Extreme broke up in 1996, Bettencourt released a solo album the year after entitled "Schizophonic." When he was younger, he studied drums, bass and keyboards before concentrating on the guitar. Bettencourt made use of all his knowledge as he played all instruments in Schizophonic.

Shortly after, he formed Mourning Widows, which made two albums before disbanding.

The band also paid tribute to their roots, performing a Led Zeppelin cover with Bettencourt doing an exceptional imitation of Jimmy Page on acoustic guitar.

Near Death Experience also unveiled new material from its forthcoming album; Bettencourt joked that the songs were just written before they came on stage. The most notable of the new songs is "S'Ok," which the band played during its debut TV appearance at the "Late Late Show" with Craig Ferguson.

For most guitarists in attendance, it was a letdown when Bettencourt told the audience he preferred playing rather than holding a clinic. Many wanted to learn his techniques, which have been featured in various guitar magazines.

However, the outspoken Bettencourt did manage to make his audience laugh. With local guitar players foaming at the mouth as he was about to give his first "lesson," he warned onlookers that what he would teach is so hard it might cause injury. Doing a stance often seen in air guitar contests, he then strummed a basic chord then proudly announced, "G Major."

Despite his reluctance to be a guru, Bettencourt did manage to give sound advice.

Brushing off questions about his effects gear, the Portuguese-born virtuoso told aspiring guitarists, "It's all here," while gesturing to his fingers.

He then recalled an incident when he first met Eddie Van Halen, the long-time guitarist for Van Halen whose style shaped hard rock during the late '70s.

Relating how Van Halen himself asked him to play his guitar, Bettencourt explained how excited he was that he could finally get that signature "Van Halen sound."

However, the results were not what he expected.

"It was terrible. I sounded just like myself," he said.
    Last edited by James in New York; 06.15.05 at 03:42 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

01.03.07 @ 12:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nuno sounds like a tool....

Did anyone ever see that show on MTV or VH1 where they tried to get old bands to reunite? On one show they caught up with Cherone and Nunuts to see if they would reunite for a day and jam some old tunes. Cherone was up for it but Buttercup acted like a total prick and would not even go on camera.

Tool
    (.)(.)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:21 AM
    Liked 4,810 Times in 2,455 Posts

Premium Member

Nuno is a little high matainence however when I have met him a few times and he was pretty cool. Regarding that VH1 show, I remember reading why he did not want to do it. He felt that Extreme was a much better band then the other artists that were featured on that show and doing that show would then put Extreme in that same league. He had no problem reuniting but not for that.

They did a benefit a few months later in Portugal.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 137 Times in 89 Posts

Nuno is probably one of the most underated musicians around. He's always been a VH fan and always given Ed major props.

And if Nuno is high maintenance, then jeez, what's Edward?
    Dealing with it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

01.03.07 @ 12:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rchop84
    Nuno is probably one of the most underated musicians around. He's always been a VH fan and always given Ed major props.

He can definately play, I was never denying that...

He just seems a little, I don't know....assholeyish
    (.)(.)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:21 AM
    Liked 4,810 Times in 2,455 Posts

Premium Member

I do remember a funny line he said at a guitar clinic. This was right before More than Words broke out so it was somewhat small.

A guy asked him what he thought of Vernon Reid of Living Color.

Nuno said the guy can play rhythm however when he solo's it sounds like he is playing in the "key of B quiet"

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Nuno is one of my favorite guitarists.

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Nuno is my 3rd favorite guitar player after Eddie and Steve Vai. He is incredible with Extreme!

I don't like his music outside of Extreme though. I have his solo album and a Mourning Widows album. I don't like them.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Album

BOBW
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being / SGMAD
    Last Online

07.29.15 @ 09:07 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

And if Nuno is high maintenance, then jeez, what's Edward?

nono and ed are not even close to the same level................i like his music, but he sounds like an asshole.........
    Van Halen Is: Edward Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, Michael Anthony, Sammy Hagar, David Lee Roth, Gary Cherone

They will be back.....

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

All of em
    Last Online

10.04.17 @ 06:34 AM
    Liked 58 Times in 37 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ArtVandelay
    Nuno sounds like a tool....
    How did you manage to gather that from reading this interview?
    Last edited by Bigdaddy_14; 06.15.05 at 11:06 AM.
    WHOAOH! Hey you! Who said that? Baby how you been?

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls
    Nuno is a little high matainence however when I have met him a few times and he was pretty cool. Regarding that VH1 show, I remember reading why he did not want to do it. He felt that Extreme was a much better band then the other artists that were featured on that show and doing that show would then put Extreme in that same league. He had no problem reuniting but not for that.

They did a benefit a few months later in Portugal.
    I don't blame him for turning them down. He was having lunch with someone in a restaurant and all these VH1 tools swarmed him. They could have gone about it a better way.
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Last Online

08.16.12 @ 09:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default FYI

The band they are referring to, Near Death Experience, is actually a rebranding of sorts for Population 1. They supposedly have a ton of material to release and really are going to make a go at hitting the mass market, perhaps even with a double album. Some folks were confused by Population 1, seeing as how that was first the name of an album by NuNo, with "Nuno Bettencourt" as the artist, and then the released an EP under the name Population 1. There might be some other reasons behind it as well, but bottom line is that they are now committed to changing the name. It has backfired.

They picked Near Death Experience as the name, announced it to the world, started web site redesign and all the other things that go with a renaming only to find out that some obscure band somewhere else on the planet already have a claim on the name. They had held back releasing their newest disc so that they could rebrand first, and now they are in a quagmire because they can't use Near Death Experience and a ton of other names they have liked are already taken as well.

What is tragic is now, with the tunes pretty much recorded and mostly mixed (I believe this to be true), they can't even release the record yet because they don't have a name.

Long story, I realize, but all that to say that the band the article references, Near Death Experience, is not the name of Nuno's "new" band any longer.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeRose
    I don't like his music outside of Extreme though. I have his solo album and a Mourning Widows album. I don't like them.
    I don't get that....I could see his solo album, it's not for everyone, but the two Mourning Widows discs were awesome imo. Really raw.

The intro to the first one is hillarious. "Blow up live man.."
    Dealing with it.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by NashDawg
    The band they are referring to, Near Death Experience, is actually a rebranding of sorts for Population 1. They supposedly have a ton of material to release and really are going to make a go at hitting the mass market, perhaps even with a double album. Some folks were confused by Population 1, seeing as how that was first the name of an album by NuNo, with "Nuno Bettencourt" as the artist, and then the released an EP under the name Population 1. There might be some other reasons behind it as well, but bottom line is that they are now committed to changing the name. It has backfired.

They picked Near Death Experience as the name, announced it to the world, started web site redesign and all the other things that go with a renaming only to find out that some obscure band somewhere else on the planet already have a claim on the name. They had held back releasing their newest disc so that they could rebrand first, and now they are in a quagmire because they can't use Near Death Experience and a ton of other names they have liked are already taken as well.

What is tragic is now, with the tunes pretty much recorded and mostly mixed (I believe this to be true), they can't even release the record yet because they don't have a name.

Long story, I realize, but all that to say that the band the article references, Near Death Experience, is not the name of Nuno's "new" band any longer.

Talk about a clusterfuck.

I wish they'd go back to Pop 1...NDE sounded lame to me anyway.
    Dealing with it.

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

I don't get that....I could see his solo album, it's not for everyone, but the two Mourning Widows discs were awesome imo. Really raw.

The intro to the first one is hillarious. "Blow up live man.."

Why don't you get it? They sound nothing like Extreme, no harmonies, bad production, with hardly any guitar solo's compared to Extreme. Nuno's voice doesn't sound that good either, he isn't a lead singer.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!