Favorite VH Album

Balance,Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Every damn one!
    Last Online

02.02.11 @ 09:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool 5150 Settings... Try em!!

Ok guys, i have a Peavey 5150 block logo head with sovtek 6L6's in the power amp and electro harmonix 12AX7s in the preamp... that being said, i was messing around with the settings on my amp quite a bit over the past few days and i found a pretty cool sound, i wasnt quite going for that brownsoundish tone, its got a hint of it, but it sounds pretty good to my ears, give it a try!!

I wont do the rhythm channel, because i have it on lead pretty much all the time, do with the rhythm what you please....

High Gain Input
    Lead Pre Gain: 3-5 ( I have it on 5, but lowering the gain will give you a cooler classic tone i guess)
    Low: 7
    Mid: 3
    High: 6.5
    Lead Post Gain: 1-4
    Resonance: 4.5
    Prescence: 6

I dont know, I get a pretty cool sound out of it, I have it running through one of the cheaper marshall cabs, but its alright. Let me know what you guys think and feel free to give any suggestions that might improve the sound. peace.
    "Some low life flathead scum infects, the sickness in his eyes reflects, you wonder why your life is screaming, wonder why we're humans being."

Proud Member of the III Brigade.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Did I accidentally jump back into 1992 or something?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Every damn one!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

my bad for being bored and just trying to share some settings ... i guess its a bad thing to do that here?
    "Some low life flathead scum infects, the sickness in his eyes reflects, you wonder why your life is screaming, wonder why we're humans being."

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangarang
    my bad for being bored and just trying to share some settings ... i guess its a bad thing to do that here?
    Nah man, it's cool to share stuff. Majestic is just bustin your balls a little for smile style EQ with the scooped mids I believe
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

10.04.07 @ 10:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by homeunit
    Nah man, it's cool to share stuff. Majestic is just bustin your balls a little for smile style EQ with the scooped mids I believe
    Funny I change my 5150 tone frequently- I do have kind of one sound for recording with a mic, and another one when I am just cranking up and playing.

My mids are boosted way higher as I get older... varying from 4-7. Depends on my mood.

I guess it is directly related the mids on my body, (read: Gut) getting larger as I get older!

I will tell you, a buddy of mine uses a modeling software program called Guitar Rig, and there is a KILLER Plexi setting on there.

-JD5150
    --Peavey EVH Wolfgang Standard-Black; 5150 Half Stack
    "In the 7th grade, James Sanford got me in to Santana and Van Halen. Who knows what the hell I would have been listening to otherwise. Thanks man, wherever you are!"-JD5150

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

ALL good tone lives in the midrange. Dialing in the proper midrange is very difficult and very vital. Unfortunately, that is why I don't like the 5150. It has that "Peavey wonk" that I don't like. Their PA gear has it, speakers, amps, etc etc etc.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

I was just goofin' on you, bud.

One thing I never did was play my 5150 through Celestions, which would've been an improvement.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Every damn one!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic
    I was just goofin' on you, bud.

One thing I never did was play my 5150 through Celestions, which would've been an improvement.

haha its all good man! i was just being a tad of a smart ass, my bad dude.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfiddl
    ALL good tone lives in the midrange. Dialing in the proper midrange is very difficult and very vital. Unfortunately, that is why I don't like the 5150. It has that "Peavey wonk" that I don't like. Their PA gear has it, speakers, amps, etc etc etc.
    Ahhh, the "Peavey wonk". I have a Prowler I picked up for 200 bucks. The mids are either ultra-scooped or ultra-harsh, and the drive channel is pure transistorish fuzz.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangarang
    Ok guys, i have a Peavey 5150 block logo head with sovtek 6L6's in the power amp and electro harmonix 12AX7s in the preamp... that being said, i was messing around with the settings on my amp quite a bit over the past few days and i found a pretty cool sound, i wasnt quite going for that brownsoundish tone, its got a hint of it, but it sounds pretty good to my ears, give it a try!!

I wont do the rhythm channel, because i have it on lead pretty much all the time, do with the rhythm what you please....

High Gain Input
    Lead Pre Gain: 3-5 ( I have it on 5, but lowering the gain will give you a cooler classic tone i guess)
    Low: 7
    Mid: 3
    High: 6.5
    Lead Post Gain: 1-4
    Resonance: 4.5
    Prescence: 6

I dont know, I get a pretty cool sound out of it, I have it running through one of the cheaper marshall cabs, but its alright. Let me know what you guys think and feel free to give any suggestions that might improve the sound. peace.
    That's pretty close to where I run mine when it's working. It needs to go back into the shop again. There's a capacitor that keeps it from popping when you switch from the lead to rhythm channels, and it keeps blowing for some reason.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

I've had settings in that same basic neighborhood as well with my 5150 Combo...

The big question, bangarang, is what guitar are you using? A single coil in the bridge position (read:Strat) will sound drastically different than a humbucker (read:Les Paul)... I'm sure I didn't need to point that out 'cause that's Guitar 99, not even 101... I was merely wondering so I can hear the tone you're getting in my head.
    Last edited by fast98dodge; 11.03.05 at 07:40 PM.
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

I've got the exact same tubes in my 5150 block head. My settings are very similar to yours, except I run my mids at about 6. As far as the Peavey wonk goes, I love it. I absolutely love my 5150 and it is completely stock. I see no need at all to mod this amp.