Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 801 Times in 436 Posts

Premium Member

Default VH Relevance

At least once I week, I read a post lamenting Van Halen's lack of relevance. A lot of people around here seem to need some sort of public validation for their love of this band. I have to give that a big fat who cares.

There isn't another band on this planet that can inject the musical wit, sonic depth and just plain whimsy into a rock tune that these guys can. And that includes any era (even the Cherone hiccup). You know it, I know it, the band knows it. Why waste time, effort and emotion trying to prove it to a vacuous culture that plans its week around so-called reality television?

No band stays on top forever, and the term "relevance" is moot, anyway. What does it even mean and why the hell should it matter?

Personally, I wish they'd get a new singer and make a string of completely irrelevant cds. I wish the mainstream press would ignore them and I wish they'd play small venues and make music without focus groups, without expectations that they'll make "another 1984" or anything like that. They are all rich and no one with a grip on reality can dispute their power and originality. That is, unless they continue to make impotent attempts to recapture Van Halen-ness and keep making glorified commercials like that last Best Of collection.

Even so, who cares? It's Van-freaking-Halen. Let's say they never make the Hall of Fame, never produce another album and finish their career on a series of embarrassing reunion tours. So what? Stop waiting for pop-culture validation and like what you like. It is what it is, period. And what it is and was for more than 20 years was brilliant and inspiring beyond the need for argument or popular consent.

TK
    Last edited by pickslide; 06.10.05 at 09:06 AM.

Last Online

02.25.07 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

But VH relevance does matter to me. I remember all throughout middle and high school constantly defending VH and touting their brilliance. I'd tell anyone who would listen about the past and present VH glories. It's kind of like testifying about some religion. It's important to you and it makes your days a little better, so you want people to recognize the power of it. I want this band to remind people how great they were. And how many rock bands have reached legend status in the past couple of decades? Not many. It's a dying breed. There's current pop culture, which means technically very little. Save for maybe the occasional VH1 show about it fifteen years from now. Then, on a higher plane of existence, there's legends. VH is a legendary band. Frankly it pisses me off that some bands (VH, GnR) can't suck it up and get out there and play consistantly. I feel as though if you're in an influential band that has millions of fans, you owe it to your fans and to your position to stick it out. They, in equal parts along with your talent, gave you a huge gift. Not just money, but musical immortality. I feel that Ed, like Axl Rose is afraid to attempt greatness again for fear of doing exactly what you want; not being successful and relevant and playing clubs. I hate injustice and I think VH not being recognized for what an amazing band they are is unjust. They need a motivational speaker like the guy that lives in a band down by the river to prove they amount to much more than jack squat. They're legends damnit, and people need to know that.

Pardon my rant.

-Paco

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

I care if they are relevant or not...if I'm being honest with myself. Let's be frank about human nature...you want to like what other people like...you want people to reaffirm what you enjoy...if you don't admit to this, you are either a bit of a sociapath or you're not being honest with yourself...but enough of that...

The other simple point is this...if millions of people like something....there is a good chance that it is very good...if millions of people dislike something, or there is general indifference, there is a good chance it isn't very good. Don't give me the boy band example, or the Brtiney example...there is a reason they have sold lots of albums...personal tastes aside...they do what they do- well. Van Halen used to do what they do well...if they still did what they are supposed to do, and they do it well, relevance wouldn't be an issue...
    See U2.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.20.07 @ 05:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't see why anyone thinks VH isn't relevant. What criteria are we using here?

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I don't see the problem. They're relevent to me. I don't feel the need to make anyone else think so. To quote EVH, "There is no good or bad music. Either you like it or you don't."

They'll ALWAYS be relevent to me just becuase of the impact they've had on the world, regardless of whether they're doing anything currently or not...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

I met some 12 and 13 year old kids the other day that I showed my Van Halen drawing to. They knew exactly who they were and got excited about it. These were kids I met a couple of weeks ago. In Germany. Out.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.20.07 @ 05:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Saying Vh isn't relevant is like saying Led Zeppelin or Hendrix isn't relevant. Just because an artist isn't currently making music doesn't mean they are not relevant to today's music scene. VH is just as relevant as they were in the 80's. There may not be "clones" like there were in the 80's so the influence isn't as in your face but it's still there. VH was extreamly important to rock, particullarly guitar players. People want their virtuosity back and bands like Shadows Fall, Children Of Bodom etc. are giving it to them and it's all thanks to Eddie. U2 is relevant because they're still making music, but VH is still relevant because the ripples of their splash those years ago is still being felt.

VH is relevant and I suspect will only become more relevant in then coming few years.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    Saying Vh isn't relevant is like saying Led Zeppelin or Hendrix isn't relevant. Just because an artist isn't currently making music doesn't mean they are not relevant to today's music scene. VH is just as relevant as they were in the 80's. There may not be "clones" like there were in the 80's so the influence isn't as in your face but it's still there. VH was extreamly important to rock, particullarly guitar players. People want their virtuosity back and bands like Shadows Fall, Children Of Bodom etc. are giving it to them and it's all thanks to Eddie. U2 is relevant because they're still making music, but VH is still relevant because the ripples of their splash those years ago is still being felt.

VH is relevant and I suspect will only become more relevant in then coming few years.
    Yea, Junior...I don't disagree with any of this...

I'm just sayin'....let's not pretend that relevance isn't important....it's never important to the fans of a band that aren't relevant anymore...and I'm not saying Van Halen isn't relevant...they can be more relevant by DOING WHAT THEY DO BEST.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

That's no problem for me liking the band. I grew up thinking Van Halen was yet another American rock band until I joined this site and noone of my friends has ever heard of them (except for me telling them how great Eddie was). Yes I wouldn't mind if every TV channel would bring daily coverage on the state of VH, but I would really prefer for the band just to release music in any form. Although I'm not sure if Eddie would agree to play clubs now.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Premium Member

Default RE: VH Relevance

My larger point is that the term is an industry buzz word used by elitist snob critics and to wring your hands over having it--when, let's face it, we'd never even be able to agree on what it is, much less whether VH really has it--is the very antithesis of rock.

Rock n' roll is supposed to be a party on the patio after which atomic punks give out pearl necklaces to sweet Melissas even though love hurts like a bohemian rhapsody when you can't get this stuff no more, not a desperate plea for approval from the music establishment.

Geez, I remember when rock was young...

TK
    Last edited by pickslide; 06.10.05 at 12:41 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 4,800 Times in 2,450 Posts

Premium Member

I want them to get their just due.

Unfortunately they are lumped into 80's metal and I don't know if they ever will be able to break away from it.

If they had just broken up after 1984 it would be a different story. They would be remembered with much reverence. However they like Sabbath kept going and tarnished their legacy.

I love all VH even with Gary and I think its unfair but it is what it is.

They are still relevant but the media decides that they can be passed over.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:57 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pickslide
    At least once I week, I read a post lamenting Van Halen's lack of relevance. A lot of people around here seem to need some sort of public validation for their love of this band. I have to give that a big fat who cares...

...Stop waiting for pop-culture validation and like what you like. It is what it is, period. And what it is and was for more than 20 years was brilliant and inspiring beyond the need for argument or popular consent.

TK
    I agree 100%. But then why do we need a forum?

Last Online

05.18.07 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

TK, good post, I agree with a lot of what you said. Part of me also would love to see VH doing small intimate settings, hey better seats for me and can you imagine how great it would be to see Ed doing obscure tunes or noodling around on an old acoustic for only a few hundred, okay maybe a few thousand of his greatest fans!! But, ultimately, we all sort of root for VH because they are our boys, we want to see them do well, maybe to say to others see, we knew it all along, or maybe we have been fans so long we feel like we want things to be like they were back in the day, or maybe we root for them they same way we would root for a sports team......when VH is onstage kicking ass in front of thirty thousand or more, that is my Super Bowl, Stanley Cup final, and World series all rolled into one...and my team always wins!!

Randy

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Premium Member

Default Re: VH Relevance

Quote Originally Posted by clawedmonet
    I agree 100%. But then why do we need a forum?
    Because we are endowed by our Creator with the right to peaceably assemble. ;-)

TK

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by againstthewind
    TK, good post, I agree with a lot of what you said. Part of me also would love to see VH doing small intimate settings, hey better seats for me and can you imagine how great it would be to see Ed doing obscure tunes or noodling around on an old acoustic for only a few hundred, okay maybe a few thousand of his greatest fans!! But, ultimately, we all sort of root for VH because they are our boys, we want to see them do well, maybe to say to others see, we knew it all along, or maybe we have been fans so long we feel like we want things to be like they were back in the day, or maybe we root for them they same way we would root for a sports team......when VH is onstage kicking ass in front of thirty thousand or more, that is my Super Bowl, Stanley Cup final, and World series all rolled into one...and my team always wins!!

Randy
    I root for them too, of course, and hope the make the Hall of Fame and all that. But at the root of all this let-them-have-relevance whining is a somewhat childish desire to prove to the rest of the world what we already know to be true. Forget it and drive on, as they say.

TK