Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Travel Tips For Summer

Hey, since I work at a motel I figured I'd list some things that might make your vacation go a little more smoothly.

First off, on of the online, discount travel sites is booking rooms at places that don't have them. We've had people show up with their reservation printed out and not have them in our system. The reason they weren't in our system was our property was "Closed" to any further reservations at the time that they made one. This one site is notorious for booking reservations at places that are sold out.

Be careful, if you book with one of these sites, call the motel directly to verify that you do have a room.

Now the rest:

1. Shop around, discount travel-sites are usually $5 to $10 more than booking online directly with the motel/hotel.

2. Make a list of the places that look good and then call them up, see if you can get a better price over the phone. If not, don't get all pissy, book it online. My company has "Web-rates" that you won't get on the phone.

***3. If you have special or specific needs ( refridgerator, air conditioning, on-site parking, crib, etc) call before you book to find out of the motel can accomidate you. We don't have AC, and neither do most of the hotels and motels on the Central Coast because it's not that hot here.

4. Find out if there is a charge for parking.

5. If you have a SUV or a truck that is high-profile you should check to find out if the motel's parking can take you. Our building was built back in 1960, long before lift kits. San Francisco, LA, Vegas and other places that have propeties built before 1980 will have this problem.

It's your car, it's your responability to know this.

6. Don't use your check card or debit card to make a reservation. ALWAYS USE YOUR CREDT CARD. Motels/Hotels will authorize your card anywhere from day of arrival to 30 days before. This could screw up your checking account because that amount, while not charged, is held(frozen) until you check out.

7. If you are going to pay cash, pay it all up front. I get people who want to hold the room on their credit card or check card and then pay cash in the morning at check-out. Dumb, your card isn't charged but that amount is held by your bank up to 10 days later.

8. Some cities have a "Bed-Tax", that isn't mentioned with the rate quoted. Ask in advance and assume there is a tax everywhere.

9. Print out your reservation, or copy down your travel destination info on a piece of paper that you will take with you. That way, when you get to your motel you have your information handy incase there's a problem.

10. Know WHERE you are staying. Best Western is a chain, in my town there are four. People come in asking for directions to Best Western and I ask which one and they don't have a clue. MapQuest can't be beat, use it. A front desk clerk is NOT a travel agent, he probably won't be able to help you out if you are lost. I try to help people as much as I can but if I'm busy with other people then the lost are on their own.

11. Use the internet to plan or at least find out as much as you can about the place(s) that you plan to go to. There is no excuse to arrive in some town totally unaware that they are celebrating "Pickle Fest" and that every hotel is sold out. I get these people all the time. Monterey has a number of huge events: Jazz Festival, Big Sur Marathon, Sea Otter Classic Bike race and a bunch of races out at Laguna Seca (the next one is the biggest, Honda Motorcycle classic. This one sold out within 3 days of it's announced date). They can check the city's website for upcoming events.

12. The closer a motel/hotel is to an attraction, the more expensive it is going to be. Duh! If you don't mind driving ten or twenty minutes then you can save some money.

13. There's probably a reason a motel is cheap. If you've been getting $125 everywhere you've been and then you find a place at $39.95, stay there at your own risk.

14. Don't be a dick. If you are a dick, I'm only going to give you the minimum treatment. The thing I love about my job is helping people get the most out of their stay. I tell them about cool restaurants or how to get into Pebble Beach for free or just where the best place is to catch a sunset.
    This is true with every desk jocky in the industry. But if you are a dick, you get your key and parking instructions and a map and that's it. If you are a dick and you don't have a reservation you are going to pay full price or I'm going to lie and tell you that I don't have any rooms. One less dick I have to deal with.

15. Get a AAA membership, it's something like $39.95. You get free maps and a free tow per month. They'll tell you that you'll get discounts but that's not always true. My AAA rate tonight is $88.20, that's discounted off my rack or listed rate, but my going rate tonight is $75.

16. READ THE FINE PRINT!!!!!! Rates subject to change. Does not include city or state taxes. Does not include parking fee. Hotel staff are El Salvadorian war criminals. Not resposable for infections. This is all kinds of stuff that NOBODY reads in advance. You are a grown up, read your contract because the desk staff knows it inside and out. When you sign the registration card, you are signing a contract. Take a second and read it. If you don't like it, ask about it. This goes for rental cars, airlines and hotel/motels.

17. If your stay sucked, fill out the comment card. If it really sucked, write the General Manager a letter (e-mails are for loosers), if it's a chain then write the corperate HQ AND the GM. If the people in the next room are making noise, call the front desk and let them know. We can't solve a problem we don't know about. Don't take it out on the person at the front desk in the morning, they weren't there last night. There's nothing they can do now. The great thing about my boss is that he won't let guests use me as a punching bag. Reasonable complaints are always accepted because we want to do a better job. But if a guest has stayed three nights without calling to complain about anything only to unload on the desk clerk at check out, that's out of line and we'll let you know it.
    Last edited by Axxman300; 06.02.05 at 09:51 PM.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm taking a two+ week trip up to NorCal, but I'm hoping to not have to stay in any hotels Good advice though.
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Axxman Thanks very much for the info. Mighty cool of you to type all that.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by OLO
    Axxman Thanks very much for the info. Mighty cool of you to type all that.
    It was a slow night. Plus two of the ideas came from guests that I checked in while I was posting.

I'm still suprised when people show up without their confirmation number at the very least. People always get us confused with the Best Western up the street.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300