Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Last Online

01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default Help on Buying HDTV Widescreen TV's

I'm starting to look for a new widescreen HDTV, not a thin Plasma. I know little about what's the best buy for your buck these days. I've got and old 50" widescreen that's about had it. There's a huge price range on these. I'm looking in the $1000 to $2000 price range. I'd like a 50"-52" screen. I have digital cable with a cable box/remote. Do I still need a built in HDTV tuner? There's so much to consider. DLP,cableCARD,HDMI/DVI.

If anybody can give me any info or recommendation, I would really appreciate it.
    Last edited by axebrian; 06.02.05 at 12:27 PM.
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

February 10, 1978...The day that changed the Rock N Roll guitar world!!!

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

12.23.05 @ 12:07 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

I am running a 44 inch Toshiba DLP, and High Def, first off HIGH DEF is a must, once you see it , it`s hard to watch standard definition, I would go Satallite as it is the ONLY true digital feed out there, HDMI and DVI are basically the same thing, where HDMI is both video/audio, and DVI is dedicated video, I am running a Monster DVI, it ran me 169.00+taxes Canadian, the pic is totally amazing. Keep in mind for DLP or LCD make sure you have the distance for proper viewing as far as distance goes or it will look like shit. Depending on you you talk to people are either all for DLP and against LCD or vics versa, I spent months comparing, and I went with DLP, if you go LCD Haitachi is the best of the Market, for DLP Toshiba, or Panasonic..Hope this helps.

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGuitars99
    I am running a 44 inch Toshiba DLP, and High Def, first off HIGH DEF is a must, once you see it , it`s hard to watch standard definition, I would go Satallite as it is the ONLY true digital feed out there, HDMI and DVI are basically the same thing, where HDMI is both video/audio, and DVI is dedicated video, I am running a Monster DVI, it ran me 169.00+taxes Canadian, the pic is totally amazing. Keep in mind for DLP or LCD make sure you have the distance for proper viewing as far as distance goes or it will look like shit. Depending on you you talk to people are either all for DLP and against LCD or vics versa, I spent months comparing, and I went with DLP, if you go LCD Haitachi is the best of the Market, for DLP Toshiba, or Panasonic..Hope this helps.
    Thanks so much LG99...So digital cable is not "true digital feed"? I originally thought if you had digital cable w/cable box all you needed was a standard HDTV monitor to view in HDTV, providing the station was actually broadcasting in HDTV (like the Discovery Channel)

Man I gotta lot to learn about this...
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:21 AM
    Liked 4,810 Times in 2,455 Posts

Premium Member

I bought a 51" Rear Projection HDTV ($1300)last year. My advice is go to www.hometheaterspot.com and go to the forums. Check out what people have to say about different brands. They are very helpful.

If you have questions about Rear Projection TV's I can tell you what I found out with a few months of research. Just PM me. Regarding DLP or Plasma I cannot help you

However here is some basics you should know about HDTV.

Its incredible but it depends on your cable provider. Mine sucks so I only have about 10 channels in HD. Just because somebody is HD does not mean they broadcast it 24/7. The Super Bowl is on HDTV however Friends reruns at 7:00pm is not. From what I hear Sattellite is better than cable regarding HDTV channels.

Be ready to potentially budget 10% of your money towards cables. Component and possibly optical for your audio.

You will need a special HDTV box from you cable provider to provide the HD signal. At least I did with mine.

Don't get a TV with an HDTV Tuner. Waste of time and money. Just get a TV that is HDTV monitor and you will be fine, providing you get the HDTV cable box from your cable company.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls
    I bought a 51" Rear Projection HDTV ($1300)last year. My advice is go to www.hometheaterspot.com and go to the forums. Check out what people have to say about different brands. They are very helpful.

If you have questions about Rear Projection TV's I can tell you what I found out with a few months of research. Just PM me. Regarding DLP or Plasma I cannot help you

However here is some basics you should know about HDTV.

Its incredible but it depends on your cable provider. Mine sucks so I only have about 10 channels in HD. Just because somebody is HD does not mean they broadcast it 24/7. The Super Bowl is on HDTV however Friends reruns at 7:00pm is not. From what I hear Sattellite is better than cable regarding HDTV channels.

Be ready to potentially budget 10% of your money towards cables. Component and possibly optical for your audio.

You will need a special HDTV box from you cable provider to provide the HD signal. At least I did with mine.

Don't get a TV with an HDTV Tuner. Waste of time and money. Just get a TV that is HDTV monitor and you will be fine, providing you get the HDTV cable box from your cable company.

I agree ith the tuner built in, don't do it, if the tuner goes, you will loose you TV while it's getting fixed. Digital Cable is NOT true digital, no matter what they tell you, even with the digital box, what it is, is a anolog signal, and the box ha a digital converter that enhances it, where as satallite is 100% pure going in and coming out. I have a High Def sat receiver tht works great, if you are going to run High Def make sure you go AT LEAST component video, it up converts the signal, where as HDMI and DVI are pure 100% digital, but if you go the latter way (HDMI and DVI) don't get second rate cable, spring for the high end shit. I also recommend running one of these for sure protection:

http://www.monstercable.com/power/pr...heater%20Power

It will protect the Lamps if you go DLP or LCD, as was clean up the signal that is coming through. Again, do your research as far as DLP or LCD goes, you will find that guys hate either or, DLP has issues with a "rainbow effect" which hasn't been a issue lately as it was 4 yrs ago, LCD, has a screen door effect, as well as pixel burn, as well I found that action flicks on a LCD you can see creen drag. Rear projection are still great TV's although they have came down a great deal in price, Toshiba, Hitachi, Panasonic are excellent (word is Hitachi makes the gun that Toshiba uses) for DLP got Toshibah or Panasonic, for LCD Panasonic or Hitachi (I have been told is the best LCD) Plasma, I hea Panasonic and Pioneer alot.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Currently: 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Currently: Panama
    Last Online

05.30.17 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

I research consumer electronics for a living and wish I had more time to help you out but here is another good forum:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/idealbb/

Looks like all the responses you have gotten so far in this thread have been right on. DLP is actually the stronger of the two (DLP vs. LCD). The lamps can be replaced in DLP but down the line if LCD looks weaker...there isn't anything you can do about it. Also...stay away...FAR AWAY...from cable cards!! At this point in time they are virtually useless. There is only one way communication with them. In other words...say goodbye to your on-screen menus and information if you go with cable card.
    Thunder Mountain Brewing Company
    Owner and Brewmaster

Bottled: 2010 Imperial Bastard Stout (9.5% ABV)
    Bottled: 2011 Thunder Mountain Pale Ale (5.5% ABV)
    Fermenting: 2011 Thunder Mountain Irrish Ale (4.9% ABV)

"I'm just a normal jerk who happens to make music. As long as my brain and fingers work, I'm cool." -Eddie Van Halen, 1996

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

01.24.08 @ 08:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default 42" Plasma TV Deal

I found the ideal on a Plasma Television.

$1399 shipped for a 42" plasma

http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductD...ourceID=k54384

42" HD Plasma with built-in tuner
    Ad for this TV -
    PC Connection is taking preorders for the 3G Technology OP-42TN2 42" Widescreen Plasma Television for $1,399.88. With free shipping, it's the cheapest 42" plasma HDTV

Maybe this will change your mind. I have a plasma and love it.

Also I couldn't stand Digital cable so I switched to Dish Network - free equipment and free HDTV tuner/receiver. All channels rock.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of the World
    Last Online

04.23.17 @ 12:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not to downplay your purchase or love of plasma or anything but I heard that Plasma TV's have a really short lifespan ..is that correct??

On a side note, Mitsubishi's seem to have the best damn picture on big screen tv's that i've screen.
    Last edited by rrussou812; 06.02.05 at 06:54 PM.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by rrussou812
    Not to downplay your purchase or love of plasma or anything but I heard that Plasma TV's have a really short lifespan ..is that correct??

On a side note, Mitsubishi's seem to have the best damn picture on big screen tv's that i've screen.

Plasma's look great but their two knocks are screen burn in, and lifespand, after long hours and what not, the pic will fade, and you are stuck with it, with the DLP and LCD's you can replace the lamps, if you have the huge coin to blow, Plasma's are great, but you can REALLY tell the diff between the high end and low end models for sure. Panasonic and Pioneer are solid for Plasma.
    Last edited by LittleGuitars99; 06.02.05 at 06:59 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGuitars99
    Digital Cable is NOT true digital, no matter what they tell you, even with the digital box, what it is, is a analog signal, and the box has a digital converter that enhances it, where as satallite is 100% pure going in and coming out.
    Just curious how the signal travel from your satellite dish is carried from the dish to your box at your set. I would assume that it's running thru a piece of coaxial cable.

A normal digital cable box will not properly display an HD signal. But an HD Digital Cable box will. Everyday at work I see an HD signal coming into our Head End, into a HD box, displayed thru a Plasma...and it looks great.

I'll check with our Engineer, but I think you've got some bad information....or you work for Dish Network....
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy
    Just curious how the signal travel from your satellite dish is carried from the dish to your box at your set. I would assume that it's running thru a piece of coaxial cable.

A normal digital cable box will not properly display an HD signal. But an HD Digital Cable box will. Everyday at work I see an HD signal coming into our Head End, into a HD box, displayed thru a Plasma...and it looks great.

I'll check with our Engineer, but I think you've got some bad information....or you work for Dish Network....
    No not the dish network, the guy who hooked my up with my down converters, use to be the head tech at a cable company up here in Canada, he has switched so satallite, you have to figure on DB`s too, what 18 per every 100 feet with good RG6 cable? How mnay DB`s are you loosing over the miles of cable? Plus the old cable looses what up to 36 DB instead of 18, Satallitte is pure didgital, most of the cable guys up here that have high TV`s run it anyway, for the better picture, put them side by side, and you can see the diff.

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default Thanks!

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to post some help. This is some very useful info

After I go to the recommended forums for more info, I'll make my way to Best Buy and Circiut City. I just wanted to get some info before I go in there blind.

BTW... Do you guys think these salesmen will try to talk me in to buying shit I really don't need. Will one of these places be more honest and up front with me than the other?

Thanks again to all the fellow linkers
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by axebrian
    I want to thank everyone for taking the time to post some help. This is some very useful info

After I go to the recommended forums for more info, I'll make my way to Best Buy and Circiut City. I just wanted to get some info before I go in there blind.

BTW... Do you guys think these salesmen will try to talk me in to buying shit I really don't need. Will one of these places be more honest and up front with me than the other?

I would make sue if you are going HD to get AT LEAST component video for your connection, some HD receivers come with them, so make sure, and I would get a Surge protector/cleaner like that Monster one, there are other makes out there, some like Monster others don`t so it is your call, I wouls compare a few places though, to see who`s BSing and who isn`t, most places don`t give a fuck about you, they will tell you what is better based on how much they get commision wise, not quality.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:21 AM
    Liked 4,810 Times in 2,455 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by axebrian

My advice to you is that with both places, you may end up with some 18 year old kid who has been there for 2 months. Do your research and know what you want to get. Don't let them decide for you.

Another thing you may or may not want is the extended warranty. Like I said in a previous post, I have a Rear Projector TV. Those have been out for years and are more reliable than a DLP or Plasma because the technology is older. You probably don't need one with a RP but probably should get one on the DLP or Plasma.

Best Buy and Circuit City do not make much profit off the TV but they do on the extended warranties. Like I said before visit that website I mentioned and read what people say about the products.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls
    My advice to you is that with both places, you may end up with some 18 year old kid who has been there for 2 months. Do your research and know what you want to get. Don't let them decide for you.

Another thing you may or may not want is the extended warranty. Like I said in a previous post, I have a Rear Projector TV. Those have been out for years and are more reliable than a DLP or Plasma because the technology is older. You probably don't need one with a RP but probably should get one on the DLP or Plasma.

Best Buy and Circuit City do not make much profit off the TV but they do on the extended warranties. Like I said before visit that website I mentioned and read what people say about the products.
    If you want the safest route go RP, it`s been perfected, but over time the pic will fade not as quick as Plasma, the DLP`s and LCD`s just give off a better pic, especially with DVD and High def becuase the resolution ratio can go through the roof. As far as a warranty, I took a 3 yr one on top of my standard one year, to replace my lamp is $246 before taxes, so that would cover one lamp (make sure you warranty covers lamp replacement, some don`t), but Ziggy is right, they do make a ton of cash on the Extended Warranty`s. You can also get your TV calibrated, either via a service call or DVD`s you can get on line like DVE or AVIA, etc, what it does is fine tune your TV, I got it done for a little over a hundred bucks, and it looks way better. If you go RP your a pretty safe with all of the high end makes, they put out solid products.
    Last edited by LittleGuitars99; 06.03.05 at 10:43 AM.