Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans being
    Last Online

02.07.12 @ 01:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default EVH Charvel reviews??

Has anyone seen any reviews or user reports of the EVH Charvel yet? If there are any, can you point me in their direction. Much obliged.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.23.15 @ 01:57 PM
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

Try Harmony-central.com. Look under reviews (it may say user reviews) then look up the guitar your interested as listed by manufacturer.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans being
    Last Online

02.07.12 @ 01:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nope, none there yet.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:46 AM
    Liked 728 Times in 345 Posts

I've always found the user reviews on harmony central to be pretty useless. I've found that there are generally two types of people that post reviews on harmony central:

1) Somebody just spent a shitload of money on something, and they want everybody to know it. These kind of people will always say that what they got was the greatest thing in the world, because they spent a shitload of money on it.

2) Somebody that has a axe to grind against a certian brand for whatever reason. Maybe they thought buying a Charvel EVH would make them play like EVH and they still sucked, who knows.

You also have to take into consideration the idiot factor. Let's say a guy buys a guitar mail order from Ebay or whatever. It arrives, and needs a set-up, but the guy just plays it, not knowing that all it needs is a neck adjustment. He gets on HC, and talks about how bad the guitar sucks.

There are worthwhile posters on HC, but you have to wade through all the bull-shit to find them.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

You can PM Neuroop here because he's got one and loves it. We've got a guy over at guitars101 that purchased one too, and was also in love with his.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Human's Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:07 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Didn't you also have one sucka???

Riddick.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

I wish!

I have a Charvel EVH replica, but I only paid 400 for mine, and it's KILLER.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is just my opinion, but I think the Charvel Art Series guitars are way over priced and way over-rated. For the price of one Art Series guitar, you could probably build all three models yourself, and have fun doing it.

I own three EVH replicas myself, but I'm just curious ...
    Do any of you guys use your replicas on gigs?
    And if you don't currently own one, would you gig with one if you owned one?
    Last edited by Dino5150; 06.03.05 at 06:32 AM.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Working from memory... Good playability, craftmanship/quality is average to above average for a production US made guitar, but pretty much in-line with most, you'll find some common quality issues in finishing on the necks... some great some suck. Paint is vinyl and caked on like crap. Electronics are avg. Way over-priced for the quality...

We've had a lot of discussion on these over at DDLR's... Check it out if you're interested.

http://diamonddavidleeroth.com/forum...ead.php?t=7296
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150
    This is just my opinion, but I think the Charvel Art Series guitars are way over priced and way over-rated. For the price of one Art Series guitar, you could probably build all three models yourself, and have fun doing it.

I own three EVH replicas myself, but I'm just curious ...
    Do any of you guys use your replicas on gigs?
    And if you don't currently own one, would you gig with one if you owned one?
    Not gigging now, but if there were VH songs in the set, I'd whip mine out. The EVH replica that is.

I play them here and there when I'm in the mood, but I mostly stick to my two Wolf's.
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

VH I, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake, dirty movies
    Last Online

03.06.12 @ 10:07 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

that DDLR site really blows. Every thread turns into a fight.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

03.03.17 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 25 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SuckaInA3Piece
    Not gigging now, but if there were VH songs in the set, I'd whip mine out. The EVH replica that is.
    I caught that...

Fellas, I just tried one out tonight at a one of the local shops in town where I live. As the matter of fact, I tried out #00656 of the Black/Yellow collection.

When I walked in, I realized that I hadn't been there in quite sometime and the last time was when my friend who works at this place said he'd give me a call as soon as they got in. Well, yesterday was the day as the matter of fact. Fresh out of Charvel. I saw them sitting on the wall and to me, it was just too cool for words.

I fiddled with it for about an hour with a warmed up Marshall JCM 800 reissue, my FX set up infront of it and my personal opinion isn't that bad, but could be better for the price.

Pros:

- Paint Job. Way cool. Like I said, to see it in person, brand new, was really cool to me. I was like a little kid who found that Gi-Joe he was missing from his collection.

- Trem system was set-up the exact same way I like it right off the shelf. Nothing out of the regular, but it had quite a bit of tension.

- Financing. Some stores you have it, some store you don't. Before I even tried it out, I was trying to find a reason not to take out $2,000 and but down that big deposit. I found the reason and common sense kicked-in. Keep reading.

- The necks have absolutly NO finish on them at all. Much like Ed's personal Wolfgangs, your own skin oils sink into the wood and you have you're own feel on it after a while. So I say this, if anybody buys one, get it fresh and never even touched! Make sure that baby still smells like the material in the case. (Gawd I love that smell!)

Cons:

- The neck is a bit larger than my Wolfgangs and even my Les Pauls, so it didn't feel that right to me. But I'm sure like everything, it just takes some getting used to.

- Very limited features. I know, I know, it's much like the original. Fine then, what's the excuse for the next Con?

- Price. Everybody knows the story there. $3,215.99 CND. That's two months worth of insurance and payments on my new Mustang. Guess which one chicks like better?

- Not the sound I was expecting out of it. With most guitars that are in the $1,800-$2,300 range, it's not really like night and day when you plug two different one's into the same amp right after eachother depending on what you're trying.

I plugged in an Axis and a Wolfgang, ya know, something CLOSE to comparable, and I appreciated both bridge pick-up sounds in the Musicman and the Wolfie a little better.

I was told by some people that they're the same pick up that are in the Wolfgangs, I was told they were the same as what's in his old Musicmans, and I've been told they're totally different. I'm not sure, but I didn't hear the same with what was in the Charvel as what I hear with my Wolfgangs. I'm not really too sure how to explain it. The best thing I can think of is hearing a bit too much treble from it. Yes, I messed around with the EQ on the amp with all three guitars, and I still got the same result. It sounds great with my flanger and phaser, though. Those little buddies of mine thicken things up, obviously but I don't use them that often.

Again, I only played with it for about an hour and not even through my own rig. Jyst my board and my fingers and that's what I got. This review probably doesn't leave you with much to think about nor does it help you make up your mind on whether or not to get one, but, it does say that you just have to go out and try one yourself. At least that's my advice.

My overall opinion? I Don't DISlike this guitar. BUT... price, price and.... PRICE!!!! It's a really cool guitar if you're an EVH fan and it would be a great addition to those that play in VH tribute bands. I do NOT see a vintage guitar collector going out of his/her way to spend that kind of money on a guitar that has very limited features with SOMEBODY ELSE'S name on it. I love my Wolfgangs more and would pay around $1,500 at most for this little dude.

My thoughts, my opinion. Go try one yourself! That's all I can say. Even if you don't like it, you can say you played one. My opinion, and a scattered one at that means jack-shit.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.11.06 @ 05:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just can't believe that anyone would purchase one of them. Let's look at the "cost of goods" for a minute. A good Alder Body with paint job, unfinished neck, a pot, a set of tuners, a Floyd, a jack, maybe 12" of wire, four screws, a neck plate, a nut and a knob. My guess is that even with labor the cost to make this fine quality is $260.00 Add 1000 percent margin and "poof".

Take another EVH example, the D-Tuna, it costs $45. It comes with an allen wrench, a spring, two Floyd screws and the Dtuna metal piece. My estimate of COGS = $4.50 x 1000% = $45 Yes with both instances there are royalties, tooling, middleman/warehousing markup, and retailer markup, but geez.

I got a Fender HM 1/pu strat with a Floyd for $185. Sold the neck and sold the Invader pickup for $130. I put on a new Warmoth Maple neck, w/tuners and put in a Screamin' Demon. Total cost for the same damn tone = $300

I'm sure they have collector value, and they are fine, well built, quality instruments, my point is that it does not sound any better for the extra $2300.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dainjerus
    that DDLR site really blows. Every thread turns into a fight.
    Don't blow the thread here man... to each his own.
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com