Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Default Oasis - Cigarettes & Alcohol (The Official Thread)

'Tis a damn shame Oasis dropped off the American musical radar screen during the late 90's. I love this band.

The new one - Don't Believe The Truth - comes out this Tuesday. I can't wait!

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Last Online

09.30.05 @ 06:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They're still pretty big over here in the UK, although no way near as big as they were in the mid 90's when they were THE band here. Definitely Maybe was by far and away their best record; their recent efforts have some good moments tho.
    Have they really dropped off the radar over there? I heard they sold out MSG for 2 nights for their next tour which isn't bad considering they never really broke America.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by TomP
    Have they really dropped off the radar over there? I heard they sold out MSG for 2 nights for their next tour which isn't bad considering they never really broke America.
    Large-scale success and notoriety has eluded them since Be Here Now - their last US platinum record - ended its chart run in 1998. No Oasis album since then has even gone gold (500K units). And, of course, nothing has come as close as their US heyday during '96-'97 when you couldn't turn on the radio and not hear "Wonderwall", "Don't Look Back In Anger", or "Champagne Supernova". Those were good times.

They haven't had any big singles here since then, either. Their last big single and video was "All Around The World" (back in '98).

I was pretty stoked when I heard about the MSG dates selling out. Just goes to show that Oasis still has a fanbase here that wants to hear and see them. I'm hoping Don't Believe The Truth returns them to where they belong: the top of the charts.

I'm hearing a little Oasis on the radio, too. Last week I heard "Live Forever" and "Wonderwall" while driving home from work (two different days). There's talk and some hope that this new album is going to bring about an Oasis revival. There's also a mash-up done by some DJ from San Francisco that features "Wonderwall" and Green Day's "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" with a snippet of Travis' "Writing To Reach You" thrown in for good measure (here's the link). It's getting a lot of airplay, considering the fact that it's not an official release. People are eating it up.
    Last edited by Metal Marc; 05.30.05 at 05:46 AM.

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

10.05.05 @ 05:46 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Oasis - Cigarettes & Alcohol (The Official Thread)

Although I wish they'd be able to create something as great as Definitively Maybe and What's the Story, Morning Glory, I'd have to admit my hopes aren't that high anymore.
    But yeah, Oasis were the greatest band in the universe back in '94-'96

Favorite VH Album

First 6 albums and bov1
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

03.16.12 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah I love Oasis's music.They had that one album in the states and just never could keep it up here. I know they have a solid following in Atl. Evertime they tour they come through here. I have only seen them once because things keep going on when they come to town. I know their show in the ATL has already sold out. They have been playing a litte bit more of oasis of late cause of their new album coming out. But i will go pick up the new album whem it hits the selves on tuesday. It will be a good album but i dont think it will be great. I am waiting for the day the brothers finally go do their own thing and oasis takes a break.
    Georgia Tech Football - Bring on Utah!!!! Go Jackets!!!!
    Falcons - I hear playoffs
    Atlanta Braves - Need to make some real moves
    Atl Hawks - 3-0 alright were undefeated and when did they pick up this guy called Marvin Williams?????
    PS3 Network - VanHalen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to choose from...
    Last Online

07.17.17 @ 07:19 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

i am a huge oasis fan, and when "...broken dreams" came out the first thing i thought was "that's Wonderwall!!!"oh well, i have heard the new album and it is good but i don't know if it is good enough to put them back in the spotlight. I thought heathen chemistry was amazing and you didn't hear anything about it over here in the states

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 PM
    Liked 3,114 Times in 1,825 Posts

Premium Member

Yeah, there are some b-sides from this new record that probably should have been on the record to strengthen it. It's probably their most diverse release, but there aren't any big singles on this record except for maybe 'Keep the Dream Alive'. Heathen Chemistry had 'The Hindu Times', their best single in years, and 'Little By Little'. You throw a song like Hindu on this album, and I think maybe it becomes a smash, but hey, more people are paying attention to this great band, so whatever.

Besides, Noel Gallagher is one of the funniest motherfuckers on the planet.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

07.09.11 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"Morning Glory" is a good song!

I have an English mate who's a big Oasis fan and lately that passion has been rubbing off onto me.
    Bobby Cohn: Who's going to be at Waynestock?
    Wayne Campbell: Um, uh...Aerosmith & Pearl Jam!
    Garth Algar: Ha ha ha ha ho!
    Bobby: Who else?
    Garth: Uh, me...and...and Wayne...
    Wayne: ...and uh...VAN HALEN!!!
    Garth: Wow. Van Halen. Who else?
    Bobby: Yeah, who else?
    Wayne: Uh, an old man fashioning a kayak out of a log?

- Wayne's World 2

"God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time." - Robin Williams

"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential." - Winston Churchill

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Hey, hey...just had a cook-out in me back yard where we listened to a little (What's The Story) Morning Glory?. Man, I can't wait until tomorrow! NEW OASIS!

I'm severely bummed, though: the boys are coming to Dallas on Sep 22nd and I will be deployed by then. Time to cancel the war!

Middle of Tornado/earthquake alley.... so confused!!!
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

07.22.17 @ 01:18 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Marc
    Hey, hey...just had a cook-out in me back yard where we listened to a little (What's The Story) Morning Glory?. Man, I can't wait until tomorrow! NEW OASIS!

I'm severely bummed, though: the boys are coming to Dallas on Sep 22nd and I will be deployed by then. Time to cancel the war!
    I had no idea they had a new album coming out! I loved this band back in the 90's. Hey Sept 22 is my b-day, who is going to be with them?
    http://www.myspace.com/texaschic22
    It's private.. but if you at least say who you are from VH links I will add ya!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

ballance
    Favorite VH Song

dreams
    Last Online

01.26.17 @ 05:47 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

They came to Wellington a few months before VH did in 98 and got booed off the stage ,the singer was pissed and was swearing at the crowd and the set was not very long so i,d say they lost fans that night .I,m not much of a fan but like the song mourning glory

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

I saw these guys opening for U2 way back when and thought they were ok. A lot of the people around me knew their songs but I was not one of them. But it killed time until U2 came out.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Poundcake
    I had no idea they had a new album coming out! I loved this band back in the 90's. Hey Sept 22 is my b-day, who is going to be with them?
    No idea. I don't think it's been announced yet.

Happy birthday in advance!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

DON'T CALL IT A COMEBACK: OASIS BACK ON THE RIGHT TRACK WITH ...TRUTH

Oasis is getting back on track with Don't Believe The Truth, their sixth album. It's simpler than their past few releases. There's no awkward electronica and no ham-fisted "grand statements" here: just basic rock and roll. The Oasis swagger is still there: attitude is what this band is all about.

I've been listening to Don't Believe The Truth all day and it's getting better with each listen. It's not a T-Rex/Hoople-fest like Definitely Maybe and (What's The Story) Morning Glory. The album has a more 60's feel. It's Oasis, so there's that strong Beatles influence. On this album, though, you hear a little more Kinks, a bit more Stones, a touch of the Who, and a smidge of that Small Faces. That mid-60's mod feel is definitely present.

The boys also seem more like an integrated unit rather than Oasis featuring Noel Gallagher and his brother Liam with some other blokes banging away. Gem and Andy both contribute to two songs, with each of them getting sole writing credit on one song each. Liam makes his writing presence known by getting writing credit on three songs.

Marc's picks:
    - Turn Up The Sun
    - Lyla
    - Love Like A Bomb
    - Guess God Thinks I'm Able
    - Let There Be Love (one of their best ever

Don't Believe The Truth is not the bangin' T-Rex/Hooplefest that is often associated with Oasis. It's different, and I mean that in a good way. Because it's different I'm not too sure this will propel Oasis back to the top of the charts but ...Truth is a stronger album than Heathen Chemistry and definitely better than Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants. C'mon, American music-buying public: prove me wrong by buying this in droves and keeping it on the charts for 60 weeks!

My current rating? 3.5 out of 5.
    Last edited by Metal Marc; 05.31.05 at 08:35 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 07:19 AM
    Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Just picked up Don't Believe the Truth yesterday and I gotta say it is one kick ass allbum, probably one of the best that have listened to so far this year. I've been a big fan for a long time and this is easily thier best CD since Morning Glory. It's nice to hear them with a somewhat different sound, not a huge departure but just enough change to make this album really stand out. It's also nice to see that they still have the attitude, I think attitude is kinda missing in the rock scene today.

My favorites (right now):
    Mucky Fingers
    The Importance of Being Idle
    Part of the Queue
    Love Like A Bomb

If you didn't like them in the past or whether you have alway been a fan I really recommend picking this album up, you'll either be surprised by their new stuff or be happy that they returned to form.