Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default What is you best 5 Star memory?

Mine would have to be the anticipation. I flew to Hershey, PA. I enjoyed hanging out at Hershey park for a full day before the band rolled into town. I remember just thinking about seeing VH on the 2nd show of the tour and how awesome it was going to be. I was nervous too. Hell, I was scared that they wouldn't show up ... or would have forgotten the tunes ... or just some crazy sh*$. The anticipation the day of the show was great too. I remember hanging outside the arena with other 5 star people. Everyone just talking and having a great time. And then when we walked in to the outdoor arena, I remember seeing Alex's drum kit and Eddie's amps just standing there. It still gives me goose bumps. I didn't recognize Eddie when he 1st walked out. (He was on his cell phone).

Of course the whole 5 star deal was awesome, but that is my fondest memory. Other than of course being so close to the band at soundcheck and requesting songs!!!
    As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

03.03.17 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 25 Times in 4 Posts

Cool story, man.

I can't really pick on paticular memory, really. It was all great. From the time I signed-in at the desk thinking about what I was in for and throwing on my pass to the backstage tour after soundcheck when everybody else was just getting into the building. Here are some of the fondest, though...

- Hearing Poundcake and It's About Time Instrumental blasting in my ears

- I'm The One, Runnin' With The Devil and Jump

- The amount of Eddie's picks Hillary gave us after soundcheck

- Realizing I was first row infront of Eddie when I got my bag with the tickets in it

- Being able to exchange words with Eddie

- Mike giving my buddy shit for not being there on my cell phone.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.28.17 @ 01:10 PM
    Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts

The entire 5-star experience was incredible -- almost an "out of body/religious" experience for me. Everything went perfectly for us at the 5-star in Dallas:

1. Getting our tickets in the envelope. Reading Row A on the tickets and sitting there for a few seconds dumbfounded like "Row A, as in Front Row??".

2. Then finding out our tickets were Section 11 as the sections went 10-11-12 from left to right. Front row, Dead Center.

3. During the happy hour and prize giveaway, we won the best prize of the night -- a drum head played by Alex at a previous show.

4. During the show, getting Sammy, Mike, and Alex to sign the drum head. Ed did not actually sign it, but he "fake signed" with his hand.

5. Getting high fives from everyone, including Ed.

6. Meeting some truly great fans and new friends at the 5-star.

7. If I had to pick one moment to top everything it would have to be this. I had noticed several people throwing stuff on stage, and the guys behind me were egging me on to throw my Eddie "work shirt" on stage. I had just bought the shirt, and was afraid that Sammy would simply toss it back into the mass crowd.

I decided to go for it and threw it to Sammy when he was right in front of me. He wore the shirt for the rest of the song, and then sat down and proceeded to SIGN the shirt tail. He then HANDED the signed shirt back to me. On top of that, I got pictures with my disposable of all this.

Seriously, it was one of the best nights of my life. Everything worked out perfectly. I would have gladly paid 3-4 times what I paid. The $395 I paid for tickets was the best bargain and value ever...even better than seeing VH for $25 in 1988.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 414 Times in 249 Posts

Eddie Van Halen asking me, "What's with the Fucking hat?" Then giving it to him so he could wear my 5150 Cowboy hat at Soundcheck. Best experience of my life. I was floating on the clouds for the rest of the night after that!
    Last edited by MF5150; 05.28.05 at 08:17 PM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Last Online

05.18.07 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by abe5150
    The entire 5-star experience was incredible -- almost an "out of body/religious" experience for me. Everything went perfectly for us at the 5-star in Dallas:

1. Getting our tickets in the envelope. Reading Row A on the tickets and sitting there for a few seconds dumbfounded like "Row A, as in Front Row??".

2. Then finding out our tickets were Section 11 as the sections went 10-11-12 from left to right. Front row, Dead Center.

3. During the happy hour and prize giveaway, we won the best prize of the night -- a drum head played by Alex at a previous show.

4. During the show, getting Sammy, Mike, and Alex to sign the drum head. Ed did not actually sign it, but he "fake signed" with his hand.

5. Getting high fives from everyone, including Ed.

6. Meeting some truly great fans and new friends at the 5-star.

7. If I had to pick one moment to top everything it would have to be this. I had noticed several people throwing stuff on stage, and the guys behind me were egging me on to throw my Eddie "work shirt" on stage. I had just bought the shirt, and was afraid that Sammy would simply toss it back into the mass crowd.

I decided to go for it and threw it to Sammy when he was right in front of me. He wore the shirt for the rest of the song, and then sat down and proceeded to SIGN the shirt tail. He then HANDED the signed shirt back to me. On top of that, I got pictures with my disposable of all this.

Seriously, it was one of the best nights of my life. Everything worked out perfectly. I would have gladly paid 3-4 times what I paid. The $395 I paid for tickets was the best bargain and value ever...even better than seeing VH for $25 in 1988.

Dude, that is great stuff!!! I went to two five stars..one in Grand Rapids Mi and the other in Det. There were a few things that stand out, one ...the people there, great folks...I went by myself, couldn't afford to spend the money for my wife to go and she aint into it like I am, whatever, the folks I met at both shows were great!! Thumbs up to all of you, especially a pair of brothers from Chi who were there at the GR show and made me feel like I was a bud from the beginning, but we had VH in common. I just remember standing in row 4,at soundcheck and saying to someone...oh my god..Eddie Van Halen is standing right there!! I mean I couldn't believe it, if I hadn't had a major buzz I would have probably freaked and acted like an ass.........c'mom, I mean EVH was right there! I got to shake his hand at the second 5* and damn what a wonderful night , row 2 right in front of THE MAN!! I just thank god I got to do this once in my life....it really was a dream come true. But most of all I just loved talking to the Vh fans out there like myself, it was like, hey...I'm amongst my people, and to the two bros in CHI....if you read this, rock on mofos.

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here are some of my great 5-star memories:

-Leaving work early to make the 100 or so mile drive down to San Diego, blasting BOBW as I cruised down the 5 freeway with the windows down

-Having my name called first when they began handing out tickets, and finding out that I was the very first seat--Row 1, Seat A

-Eating about a dozen chicken strips and pounding free beer with some cool dudes I met there.

-Standing 10 feet from my guitar hero as he ripped the solo to I'm the One at soundcheck.

-Having Mikey smile and nod to me as I sang along to On Fire.

-Having Sammy sign the shirt I threw onstage, 40 minutes later!

-Scoring a VH hat that Sammy wore onstage!

-The drive home--blasting Balance, and then a bunch of guys in a truck sped past me honking and holding up the VH fingers.

-All in all, the WHOLE NIGHT was just an incredible experience
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Slinger
    Cool story, man.

- Being able to exchange words with Eddie

- Mike giving my buddy shit for not being there on my cell phone.
    I wanna hear more about these!

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by janthraxx
    I wanna hear more about these!
    Well, at soundcheck, Ed and the guys took a few pauses between songs. At one point, nobody was saying a word. My buddy took the opportunity to tell Ed that him coming back meant the world to him and thanked him for coming back and bring the music to us. Ed just replied with "Thanks for coming back. If it wasn't for you guys, it wouldn't be shit."

Later on, during the show as the matter of fact, just at the end of Unchained, Eddie walked right up to me in the first row, dodged a pile of hands about three or four times except for mine, gave a big, tight handsake/high-five, grinned and winked and I just told him thank you for being the inspiration behind my musical drive and he replied with "thank you for letting me". When he let go of my hand, I didn't think anything of it and drew back my hand with one of his PICKS falling to the ground. Thankfully for me, security was really nice and picked up for me.

Not much on the exchange of words, but moments were priceless to me.

As for Mikey and my cell phone... He was signing autographs and made his way over to us. For the entire soundcheck, I had called my buddy who was back in Ottawa and couldn't make it just so he could listen in on the soundcheck. He was the phone until the end and I had asked Mike to give some words to him on my phone and just say Hi. He grabbed my phone and said "Vergil, where the fuck are you?! Why aren't you here?!" My buddy must have replied with something to do to with his University exams and Mikey just said "Yeah, well, at least you'll be a lot smarter than THIS guy is after tonight. I think he's loaded already!" Everybody there got a good chuckle out of it.

Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Last Online

01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Here are a few of mine from the 2nd STL 5 star and concert.

1) As my wife and I were partying (beer,cabo shots, munchies and great VH stories) with some nice folks we met in our 5 star group, we could hear Al's drums and Ed's guitar. Hilliary said "It's time for soundcheck". We came out on the upper level and there stood my hero, Eddie "freakin" Van Halen just noodling. We couldn' get to the stage fast enough. It seemed like forever walking down there. My wife and I got Mikey's sig and I got a pick from Wolfie.

2) We're front and center at the concert. I had a sign that read "we drove 750 miles to see Van Halen rock St. Louis". Sammy smiled and pointed at me and my sign on the first song(YRGM). Then later,,...Just before Sammy's solo, the camera dude looked at me and said "hold your sign up". I did and they put my sign on the big mine screen. Sammy looked at it and said to the crowd "This guy drove 750 MILES to see van Halen in St. Louis" The crowd roared! Then Sammy said to me "Did you get any speeding tickets,my brother."

3) After Sammy's solo he signed my sign, my VH hat and my wife's 5 star laminate.
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

February 10, 1978...The day that changed the Rock N Roll guitar world!!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well, at soundcheck, Ed and the guys took a few pauses between songs. At one point, nobody was saying a word. My buddy took the opportunity to tell Ed that him coming back meant the world to him and thanked him for coming back and bring the music to us. Ed just replied with "Thanks for coming back. If it wasn't for you guys, it wouldn't be shit."

Later on, during the show as the matter of fact, just at the end of Unchained, Eddie walked right up to me in the first row, dodged a pile of hands about three or four times except for mine, gave a big, tight handsake/high-five, grinned and winked and I just told him thank you for being the inspiration behind my musical drive and he replied with "thank you for letting me". When he let go of my hand, I didn't think anything of it and drew back my hand with one of his PICKS falling to the ground. Thankfully for me, security was really nice and picked up for me.

Not much on the exchange of words, but moments were priceless to me.

As for Mikey and my cell phone... He was signing autographs and made his way over to us. For the entire soundcheck, I had called my buddy who was back in Ottawa and couldn't make it just so he could listen in on the soundcheck. He was the phone until the end and I had asked Mike to give some words to him on my phone and just say Hi. He grabbed my phone and said "Vergil, where the fuck are you?! Why aren't you here?!" My buddy must have replied with something to do to with his University exams and Mikey just said "Yeah, well, at least you'll be a lot smarter than THIS guy is after tonight. I think he's loaded already!" Everybody there got a good chuckle out of it.
    That's awesome. That Eddie moment must've been phenomenal!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

That's awesome. That Eddie moment must've been phenomenal!!
    Yeah, it may seem a litte "star-struck" pathetic when you read about it, but it meant the world to me.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yeah, it may seem a litte "star-struck" pathetic when you read about it, but it meant the world to me.
    Not at all personally, I can totally understand

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:34 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

I enjoyed the roadie explaining the wires and Mic stands under my deck.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by OLO
    I enjoyed the roadie explaining the wires and Mic stands under my deck.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:34 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

So sorry you feel that way.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.