Dave - WACF, Sam - FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight, Dream is Over
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 09:23 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Default Full Moon Fever- The Official VHLinks Tom Petty Thread

When people talk about bands that have been around the block (i.e. Aerosmith, the Stones), TP and the HB are often overlooked. Even though they are in the Hall (and really, the RRHOF is pretty meaningless), I really think they are one of the most underrated bands in rock history.

Not only do I think Tom and the 'Breakers are one of the best ever, they have something most bands (including one that shall remain nameless) envy: stability. You never hear about soap operas emanating from Petty camp. They act like adults.

Anyone else going to see them this summer?
    If it's BROWN, flush it DOWN.

GO STEELERS!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 05:24 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

I love early Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers but started to lose the plot when "big head goes solo". I like Full Moon Fever and all, but I thought Into The Great Wide Open didn't sound right (though the tour when I caught it in Philly was excellent) and everything I got since then didn't sound right either (except Playback of course) and never got his most recent albums (though I meant to). The drumming especially has suffered since Stan Lynch was asked to leave. But no denying the work up to and including Full Moon Fever - lots of good stuff through the years.
    Last edited by billy007; 05.30.05 at 02:19 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Dave - WACF, Sam - FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by billy007
    I love early Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers but started to lose the plot when "big head goes solo". I like [b]Full Moon Fever[/i] and all, but I thought Into The Great Wide Open didn't sound right (though the tour when I caught it in Philly was excellent) and everything I got since then didn't sound right either (except Playback of course) and never got his most recent albums (though I meant to). The drumming especially has suffered since Stan Lynch was asked to leave. But no denying the work up to and including Full Moon Fever - lots of good stuff through the years.
    Funny, I like a lot of his more recent stuff better than the early stuff (though it's all great). You definitely want to check out The Last DJ. It's a fine example of how Tom's music has matured after all these years.

As far as the drumming goes, I think Steve Ferrone has filled in marvelously. You can tell that he has tried to match Stan's sound to fit the character of Tom's music.

GO STEELERS!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

03.03.17 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 25 Times in 4 Posts

Tom Petty is the man.

I'm just one who likes more of his odd-ball songs more than the regular hits. I mean. I love "Refuge" and "Won't Back Down" stuff like that, but I love stuff like "Don't Come Around Here No More". That song does so much for me!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 195 Times in 117 Posts

I dig Tom Petty's stuff. I've only got his "Greatest Hits" & the first 2 albums. I wouldn't mind some more of his stuff though...

Other than the first 2 albums, I don't think any of his other earlier stuff has been remastered, so I'll probably wait until they are...

Favorite VH Album

Live in Largo '82
    Favorite VH Song

Sunday P.M in the Park/1 Ft...
    Last Online

11.22.16 @ 05:46 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Default Tom & the Heartbreakers Kick Ass.

Have seen them live several times over the years & they NEVER disappoint. Stellar show every time & they leave you drained, but in a good way. We have tix to see them with the Black Crowes in August at the Greek Theater in Berkeley. Probably going to be the best show of the summer out here, but I would think Priest will rock as well.
    Q: Recording the album took so long your Australian tour last year was cancelled. What was it like in the studio? There's a history of tension between you and Eddie Van Halen...

DLR: It was like a stand off in a Chuck Norris movie. We each had the laser dot on everybody's forehead waiting for the other guy to blink. Except for Wolfie, he had a Super Soaker ...

Favorite VH Album

Live in Largo '82
    Favorite VH Song

Sunday P.M in the Park/1 Ft...
    Last Online

11.22.16 @ 05:46 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Default P.S.

The boxed set "Playback" is highly recommended. There's a lot of cool b-sides & live tracks on there with a bit of early stuff from his first band Mudcrutch.
    Q: Recording the album took so long your Australian tour last year was cancelled. What was it like in the studio? There's a history of tension between you and Eddie Van Halen...

DLR: It was like a stand off in a Chuck Norris movie. We each had the laser dot on everybody's forehead waiting for the other guy to blink. Except for Wolfie, he had a Super Soaker ...

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    The boxed set "Playback" is highly recommended. There's a lot of cool b-sides & live tracks on there with a bit of early stuff from his first band Mudcrutch.
    Thanks!!!

Mudcrutch you say???? Interesting name.

Tom Petty could teach everyone a thing or two about stability in a band. They've managed to keep it together for a long time.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 05:24 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Well, if by stability you mean Tom, Mike and Benmont staying together, why sure, but otherwise Ron Blair has been out and back in, Howie Epstein was in, out and dead and of course Stan Lynch is out...

Playback is about as good a box set as you're going to find - three discs with a good selection of cuts (including "all the hits") from his first 9 albums, a disc of "B-sides" and two discs of rarities. My only complaint, and it's relatively minor, is that it doesn't contain the two live tracks shaved from Pack Up The Plantation to fit it on CD (which, really, they should just redo that album, make it two CDs and put the missing tracks back and add some more!).

I also have "A Bunch of Videos and Some Other Stuff" - does anyone have the "Playback" collection of videos? Any odds 'n ends on there, or just straight videos?

Favorite VH Album

Dave - WACF, Sam - FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I also have "A Bunch of Videos and Some Other Stuff" - does anyone have the "Playback" collection of videos? Any odds 'n ends on there, or just straight videos?
    I have the Playback DVD. It has these videos:

Here Comes My Girl
    Refugee
    The Waiting
    A Woman in Love
    Insider
    You Got Lucky
    Change of Heart
    Don't Come Around Here No More
    Jammin' Me
    I Won't Back Down
    Runnin' Down a Dream
    Free Fallin'
    A Face in the Crowd
    Yer So Bad
    Learning to Fly
    Into the Great Wide Open
    Mary Jane's Last Dance

The DVD is strictly those videos, but it's 74 minutes of art. As it says on the back of the DVD box, "Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers began making music videos, for hits such as 'Refugee' and 'Here Comes My Girl,' before there was an MTV or any other regular outlet for them."

Don't Come Around Here No More is creepy in a cool sort of way, and Into the Great Wide Open is a great storyteller.
    Last edited by VivaVH; 05.27.05 at 11:54 AM.

GO STEELERS!

Favorite VH Album

Dave - WACF, Sam - FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    Have seen them live several times over the years & they NEVER disappoint. Stellar show every time & they leave you drained, but in a good way. We have tix to see them with the Black Crowes in August at the Greek Theater in Berkeley. Probably going to be the best show of the summer out here, but I would think Priest will rock as well.
    Have an awesome time! I'm going to see them in Cleveland at the end of June and I can't wait.

Well, if by stability you mean Tom, Mike and Benmont staying together, why sure, but otherwise Ron Blair has been out and back in, Howie Epstein was in, out and dead and of course Stan Lynch is out...
    Sure, there have been some personnel changes, but as I said before, you never hear of drama within the band, unlike some other bands we all know and love. For example, when Howie had his drug problem and he had to leave the band, you did not hear a single one of them flame Howie in interviews.

And another thing is that they keep their fans updated with the goings-on, big or small. Whether it's a world tour or a simple appearance at a charity event, their website is constantly updated. After the "The Last DJ" tour, it said on the website, "Tom's Taking a Break." They were very honest with their fans and didn't leave them in the dark.

I think we all could name a band or two that could take a few notes from Mr. Petty and the Boys.

GO STEELERS!

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by VivaVH
    Have an awesome time! I'm going to see them in Cleveland at the end of June and I can't wait.

Sure, there have been some personnel changes, but as I said before, you never hear of drama within the band, unlike some other bands we all know and love. For example, when Howie had his drug problem and he had to leave the band, you did not hear a single one of them flame Howie in interviews.

And another thing is that they keep their fans updated with the goings-on, big or small. Whether it's a world tour or a simple appearance at a charity event, their website is constantly updated. After the "The Last DJ" tour, it said on the website, "Tom's Taking a Break." They were very honest with their fans and didn't leave them in the dark.

I think we all could name a band or two that could take a few notes from Mr. Petty and the Boys.
    That's so very true!!!

Even when Tommy was havin trouble in Tesla, they posted an announcement to let fans know what was up, and they all supported him during his rehab "vacation." Once he got out they toured their asses off!!!

It's called common sense, and considering the fans, I always thought. Not sure what VH makes of all their fans, or if they even consider them.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Dave - WACF, Sam - FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Don't know how many of you have ever seen this site. Pretty messed up stuff.

Tom Petty Is Dead

GO STEELERS!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Full Moon Fever may be the greatest album of all time.

You can tell he had a blast making the album and I believe the dude from ELO produced....a slick, polished, yet fun album that doesn't sound dated at all.

Into the Great Wide Open....nice as well.

I am currently rediscovering Echo and have found myself liking it quite a lot.

I have no earlier Petty than FMF...but I do know the "classic hits".

Great lines from Petty.

....a tatoo too!
    ....some days are diamonds, some days are rocks.
    .....I got room at the top of the world tonight, and I ain't coming down.

Seen him live a while back....awesome. He ended the show with that acoustic thing from FMF..."You're Alright For Now."

I guess it was what the summer of '88...I was a freshman in highschool and nobody could understand why I just kept playing those same tunes over and over..."hello CD Listeners..."

I am not sure what the attraction is to Petty, but for me, it's his ordinary lryics used in unordinary ways in songs with simplistic music that has something extraordinary about it.

For those who like TP and the Heartbreakers....please buy Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers, "Americano".....probably my favrorite band over VH. Best live show of any band mixed with great songwriting. Roger Clyne was lead singer of The Refreshments who wrote the song, "Banditos" ("the world is full of stupid people, well I got the pistol, so I keep the pesos, yeah that seems fair" ) along with the theme to the show "King of the Hill"
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Favorite VH Album

Dave - WACF, Sam - FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy
    Full Moon Fever may be the greatest album of all time.

You can tell he had a blast making the album and I believe the dude from ELO produced....a slick, polished, yet fun album that doesn't sound dated at all.

Into the Great Wide Open....nice as well.

I am currently rediscovering Echo and have found myself liking it quite a lot.

I have no earlier Petty than FMF...but I do know the "classic hits".

Great lines from Petty.

....a tatoo too!
    ....some days are diamonds, some days are rocks.
    .....I got room at the top of the world tonight, and I ain't coming down.

Seen him live a while back....awesome. He ended the show with that acoustic thing from FMF..."You're Alright For Now."

I guess it was what the summer of '88...I was a freshman in highschool and nobody could understand why I just kept playing those same tunes over and over..."hello CD Listeners..."

I am not sure what the attraction is to Petty, but for me, it's his ordinary lryics used in unordinary ways in songs with simplistic music that has something extraordinary about it.

For those who like TP and the Heartbreakers....please buy Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers, "Americano".....probably my favrorite band over VH. Best live show of any band mixed with great songwriting. Roger Clyne was lead singer of The Refreshments who wrote the song, "Banditos" ("the world is full of stupid people, well I got the pistol, so I keep the pesos, yeah that seems fair" ) along with the theme to the show "King of the Hill"
    Have to agree with you on FMF being Petty's best album. I grew up on that album. Not a bad song on there.

While you're rediscovering Echo, I suggest you take a good listen to The Last DJ while you're at it. It's a more mature sound like Echo, but in my opinion is a close second behind FMF in terms of his best albums.

I'll be on the lookout for Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers. Have never heard of them, but I'm always game for some good new music.

GO STEELERS!