Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

06.10.07 @ 04:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default What do all of the teachers here think of this????

I know a lot of you guys are teachers, and I thought this story was kind of surprising. What do you think?

WAGGAMAN, La. - A public school teacher fed up with his students' behavior found a way to berate them in the context of a class assignment. The Jefferson Parish teacher wrote and distributed a two-page essay to his fourth-grade students saying he hated his job, blasting the children's "animal" behavior, and even identifying some of them by name.

Titled "I Wonder Why?" the essay ended with an assignment for each student to write a 200-word essay on how the teacher should treat them.

"Make sure you tell me why I need to treat you a certain way," the assignment reads. "I want to make sure that I no longer cheat and act unfairly."

In the essay, the teacher detailed the loud, disobedient behavior of his students on a particular day and how some ridiculed him while others accused him of cheating for a competing class during a spelling bee. The teacher said he was tired because pain from a root canal had kept him awake most of the previous night.

Melissa Parker, whose 9-year-old son is in the unidentified teacher's class at Norbert Rillieux Elementary School, said the essay was distributed to the class last week and was supposed to be returned to the teacher that day. However, some students brought the essay home.

"I was outraged and I was upset," Parker said. "I'm thinking, you shouldn't be a teacher if you hate kids."

About the spelling bee that went awry, the teacher wrote, "What should have been a nice little game turns into anger and sadness. I hate my class at times like this, because anytime I try to do something fun, they ruin it. They can take the best thing in the world and just ruin it."

About students who hit each other and ran through the halls, he asked: "Makes me think, are these children or animals?"

The Jefferson Parish public school system refused to provide details, including the teacher's name. "It's a personnel issue," school system spokesman Jeff Nowakowski said.
    Last edited by BradS; 05.26.05 at 06:59 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being,5150,WhenIt'sLove
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Sounds like he needs to find another profession to me. It sounds like the kids were being typical 4th graders, and if you can't handle that kind of behavior, then you need to get out. I don't agree with some of the things he apparently said in his essay (for example, how he hates his job and hates the kids at times...that's his problem, not the students and his angry tone will more than likely just lead to more negative behavior by the students b/c they now know what "buttons to push"), however I do like the idea of turning a writing assignment into a thinking one. It sounds like he was turning it around and putting the ball in their court, making them think about how one should treat others (particularly how to respect adults).
    Meet me in Cabo!

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ktgiles
    Sounds like he needs to find another profession to me. It sounds like the kids were being typical 4th graders, and if you can't handle that kind of behavior, then you need to get out. I don't agree with some of the things he apparently said in his essay (for example, how he hates his job and hates the kids at times...that's his problem, not the students and his angry tone will more than likely just lead to more negative behavior by the students b/c they now know what "buttons to push"), however I do like the idea of turning a writing assignment into a thinking one. It sounds like he was turning it around and putting the ball in their court, making them think about how one should treat others (particularly how to respect adults).
    What do you think the school should do about it?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Never let them see you sweat...it can be done...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by SactoFan
    Never let them see you sweat...it can be done...
    I agree. To me, a teacher should try to rise above and remember that he/she is trying to teach children. What do you think the school should do about this particular situation?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

How about making him write a second essay titled, "I'll Take Some Salt With That Foot", make an apology in the essay for making the students the target of his anger, and then have the students reply to it in an open essay.

Unfortunately, teachers are not allowed to express their feelings (anger, sadness, frustration, etc.) in the work environment because they're dealing with children. In most work environments you can vent, bang your fist on your desk, etc. Teachers have to very careful not to say ANYTHING that could be offensive or misconstrued by a child. It's difficult because you have the same frustrations everyone else has in their jobs, yet you have to suck it up and put a smile on your face. It's a tough job.

That's, of course, just my opinion. I work in a private school, so I don't have near the frustrations that teachers in the publice school systems have.
    Meet me in Cabo!

Favorite VH Album

The unquestionable truth
    Favorite VH Song

Eat you alive
    Last Online

07.10.05 @ 09:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got a teacher to quit once.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

kt, public or private, you're right. I agree with you for a different reason though. I think you lose some of your control when kids, or anyone, see that they can get the best of you. That clearly happened here and this teacher is fortunate the year is almost over...Stuff like this can be fatal to your class management...

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Is it enough, though? Teachers have a tough job. Shouldn't there be something in place that can help a teacher out with problem children? It seems that there isn't to any real degree.

Should the parents have any say so in what the school should do to this teacher?

Does the teacher have any recourse for abusive or unruly students? Sure in this situation it is clear that the teacher is in the wrong....what about high school level?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by SactoFan
    kt, public or private, you're right. I agree with you for a different reason though. I think you lose some of your control when kids, or anyone, see that they can get the best of you. That clearly happened here and this teacher is fortunate the year is almost over...Stuff like this can be fatal to your class management...
    Absolutely! I don't think there's anything that can be done as far as the unruly kids go. They may be "wild like animals" but the teacher lost control and was not managing the class well enough if they all thought they could get away with it (which, they did). Guys (esp. Brad), don't take offense at me not responding anymore to this thread, but this is my first week of summer vacation and this whole thread is raising my blood pressure (I had the crappiest year ever in my 11 years of teaching). I don't know why I even read this thread...I should've known it would just piss me off. I'm out...
    Meet me in Cabo!

Last Online

06.02.05 @ 10:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think the parents are to blame 9 times out of 10 in cases like this. Half of these kids are unsupervised at home and the parents just expect the teacher to do EVERYTHING with them in the classroom. This includes making the kids behave, making the kids want to learn (eventhough most of them aren't interested), and basically being a parent to the entire classroom during school hours. There's this whole mentality these days of "what? my child didn't do anything wrong. He/she is my kid! This is clearly someone else's mistake and problem! My child would NEVER do anything like this!" When I was growing up, it was different. I remember my parents taking the side of the teacher when they got called into the school to discuss my bad behavior. They acknowledged that their son was wrong and told me to shape up. I think that's very rare these days. I feel bad for teachers (eventhough most of them probably make more money than I do.)

Middle of Tornado/earthquake alley.... so confused!!!
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

07.22.17 @ 01:18 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ktgiles
    Absolutely! I don't think there's anything that can be done as far as the unruly kids go. They may be "wild like animals" but the teacher lost control and was not managing the class well enough if they all thought they could get away with it (which, they did). Guys (esp. Brad), don't take offense at me not responding anymore to this thread, but this is my first week of summer vacation and this whole thread is raising my blood pressure (I had the crappiest year ever in my 11 years of teaching). I don't know why I even read this thread...I should've known it would just piss me off. I'm out...

Gosh KT, you sound like me this year. Not sure what is was, but this was a very long year. As far as this guys goes, he sounds to me like he was being just as childish as the kids! Yes we do have alot of behavior problems, and I tend to put blame on the parents for that. I know at my school, we always have parents up here trying to defend their kids. Then again I have to put some blame on the schools as well as our whole society. There is only so much we can do as far as discipline goes at school. I think that kids now have that attitude of "what can they do to me that is THAT bad" basically nothing! I have taught for 13 years and have seen children's behaviors get worse every year. Oh and to make it worse, Texas teachers...... check out this link!

http://www.tcta.org/capital/txleg/legeinfo.htm

Tomorrow is my last day thank goodness! I am ready for some summer fun! KT, you and I can split a bottle of Cabo at the get together!
    http://www.myspace.com/texaschic22
    It's private.. but if you at least say who you are from VH links I will add ya!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by BiZkIt Roolz
    I got a teacher to quit once.
    wow. your parents must be proud.
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

“ Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) ” FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Poundcake
    Tomorrow is my last day thank goodness! I am ready for some summer fun! KT, you and I can split a bottle of Cabo at the get together!
    Enjoy your summer!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Outta love again, Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.12 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bad move by the teacher. Not the right place to vent. Do that with your colleagues. Unfortunately, besides calling home, assigning detention, maybe keeping in for lunch/recess, or maybe even suspension.....there's not a lot a teacher can do especially without parental support. However, this assignment ticked off parents so I doubt he will have their support.

I teach 6th grade, and have a horrible, rotten, 5th and 6th period class. I have tried everything metnioned above. Nothing has worked for about 8-10 boys. Thats a lot of students to disrupt your class to the point where you cannot teach. My attack is to send them out to other classroom, the dean's office or the counselor's. I've sent up to 5 students out at a time. This usually settles everyone else down.

As far as the teacher who did this......an apology would be appropriate to students and maybe parents then chalk it up as a learning experience and move on. I'm sure this teacher has put up with much more abuse from the students than one little essay may have caused.
    If you shake my hand better count your fingers - Mustaine