Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy
    Last Online

06.01.07 @ 07:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default DID THE VH3 TOUR HELP THE 2004 SETLIST?

Hey all,

Here I come with another thread, all opinions are welcome (except for a few, you know who you are).

Do we think that Sammy added some Dave tunes to the reunion set due to the fact that Halen fans were given the gift of some classics (Mean Street, I'm the One, Jamie's Cryin) during the VH3 tour? I guess what I'm asking is should we thank Gary for the fact that we got to hear Somebody Get Me A Doctor, You Really Got Me & Runnin With The Devil (couple shows) this tour?

And assuming we get another Sammy/Halen tour, do you think the setlist changes much next time out (assuming there's no new cd)?

Opinions ...

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bedrockboy
    Hey all,

Here I come with another thread, all opinions are welcome (except for a few, you know who you are).

Do we think that Sammy added some Dave tunes to the reunion set due to the fact that Halen fans were given the gift of some classics (Mean Street, I'm the One, Jamie's Cryin) during the VH3 tour? I guess what I'm asking is should we thank Gary for the fact that we got to hear Somebody Get Me A Doctor, You Really Got Me & Runnin With The Devil (couple shows) this tour?

And assuming we get another Sammy/Halen tour, do you think the setlist changes much next time out (assuming there's no new cd)?

Opinions ...
    The only influence that The III tour had on the reunion tour was Mikey doing SGMAD. Every other CVH song performed had been done by Sammy before. On the 5150-FUCK tours it was always some combo of Panama, Jump, YRGM, ATBL, and sometimes RWTD(which was only played once on the reunion tour, sung by Mike inplace of SGMAD). Unchained was performed on the RHRN mini tour. No new CVH songs were thrown in for this tour and the ones Sammy sang he had already performed before.

Last Online

08.02.15 @ 09:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

agree, dont think it made a difference other tha Mikey singing lead, the rest had all been done before

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:22 AM
    Liked 280 Times in 134 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Menlow
    The only influence that The III tour had on the reunion tour was Mikey doing SGMAD. Every other CVH song performed had been done by Sammy before. On the 5150-FUCK tours it was always some combo of Panama, Jump, YRGM, ATBL, and sometimes RWTD(which was only played once on the reunion tour, sung by Mike inplace of SGMAD). Unchained was performed on the RHRN mini tour. No new CVH songs were thrown in for this tour and the ones Sammy sang he had already performed before.

That about sums it up!! Couldnt have said it better...
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

You know how people always say that Mike is a hired musician, and maybe not part of the band...at least as far as Ed is concerned?

If Mike and the bros were at odds that much...and if Sam had to stick out his neck, like many say he allegedly did...why would Mike get a solo and a lead vocal on a classic this time around? Doesn't really have to do anything with this thread, but I've always wondered that...and also, Mike sang a lot of lead during sound checks.., right? Sounds like Mike's duties were increased last time out, not decreased as some insist.

I swear I think the whole tension thing might be overblown....This info together with what I just reread Ed said in the Guitar Player article right before they toured...and it makes for an interesting story.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:09 AM
    Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts

Hey all,

Opinions ...
    i wouldnt ASSUME that they are going to tour without new material. i would assume that if theres no new material than nothings happening.

Last Online

11.26.16 @ 03:00 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

Na not at all.Sam had performed all of the songs he sang on the 04 tour.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Menlow
    exactly! nothing new there... as should have been expected... it's funny, Sam will sing everyone else's songs on his own tour, but going deeper into the VH catalog? fahget'bout-it...

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Watching Van Halen in Oklahoma City was like watching the RHRN tour with worse guitar playing.

Quote Originally Posted by voivod
    exactly! nothing new there... as should have been expected... it's funny, Sam will sing everyone else's songs on his own tour, but going deeper into the VH catalog? fahget'bout-it...
    Word. I don't believe Sammy for one minute that he's "come to terms" with VH's past with Dave. I think he still has an inferiority complex when it comes to pre-5150 VH. He cares about the fans but not enough to go a little deeper into the DLR-era VH catalogue.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

III tour didn't do a thing for the 2004 tour... of the CVH songs covered it was same shit different day...
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Favorite VH Album

VH1, FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of The World, Show No Merc
    Last Online

10.20.06 @ 08:33 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Although the 04 Tour had the most CVH songs played with Sam and he did sing the right words (saying "back" instead of "ass" in Jump). I'm not sure exactly what the reason is.
    I remember Ed saying about the VH3 set list that Gary picked whatever songs he wanted to play since he was more upfront about wanting to play older stuff. Ed said something to the effect of he had "to learn them all over again"
    Van Halen Live: 15 shows.
    Have I seen my last one?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

03.03.17 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 25 Times in 4 Posts

I don't really think Unchained and Somebody Get Me A Doctor would have been played if it weren't for the 3 Tour. Those two were almost a reintroduction to the band thanks to Gray adding it to the set back in 1998. Yes, Unchained had been played with Sammy before, but it was once in a blue moon. Thank God they added those two songs, though. Love em'.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 4,791 Times in 2,444 Posts

Premium Member

Unfortunately the VH3 setlist kicked the crap out of the 2004 tour list even with the VH3 songs.

Sammy just wanted to play the same old songs.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls
    Unfortunately the VH3 setlist kicked the crap out of the 2004 tour list even with the VH3 songs.
    you are correct! even if it did feel like I was watching the world's best VH tribute band at the time...

Favorite VH Album

Dave - WACF, Sam - FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight, Dream is Over
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 09:23 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Hey all,

Opinions ...
    Nah. Remember when Sam said we'd get some surprises during this tour? Well, if they were truly going to surprise us, they'd have thrown in songs that we never heard Sammy sing before. Sorry, but Sammy's definition of "surprise" differs from mine. It was maybe a bit startling to hear Unchained and SGMAD, but not shocking, seeing as Unchained had been sung by Sammy in the past, and can we really credit Sammy with SGMAD, since Mike pretty much sang the whole thing?

And in response to your second question, I wouldn't think it would change that much. We're pretty much guaranteed to get the Sam standards, and of course the Dave standards (Jump, Panama, ATBL, and YRGM). I remember hearing that there was to be no mention of Cabo Wabo by the band on the tour, so if they are allowed to play that next time around, I imagine we'll hear it.
    If it's BROWN, flush it DOWN.

GO STEELERS!