Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

05.18.07 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Was it all an act??

Alright , I'll give one a shot here, just something to bs about, but what the hell has happened to guy I saw in the 80's?? Was there anyone cooler than Ed in the 80's...or hell even the early 90's for that matter....where the hell did this guy go!!!??? The guy always had a smile on his face..I know, cuz' his stupid smile always used to make me smile, and even laugh, guess I wanted that happiness he seemed to have. But the guy has become a sullen egotistical ass a lot of times....I saw him at a five star in Grand Rapids MI. and he wouldn't even acknowledge any of us at the soundcheck!! I know he is a drunk, I know imo...he was crushed by his divorce, but how can you go from seemingly being that happy of a person, to this disgruntled, out of control, almost angry at the world rock star?? He has the money, he loves his kid, he can have practically any chick he wants and every man wants to be his bud and buy him a beer!! So, I wonder, was it all an act....the being humble aw shucks attitude?? And the smiles on stage like he was having the time of his life?? Maybe he is a better actor than we give him credit for and maybe we were all taken for a ride, still love the music, just wonder what happened to the man.

Last Online

08.16.12 @ 09:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Not hard to figure out....

....he was young, talented, married, everyone's guitar hero, and drunk.

Now, he is old, lost a bit of that talent due to age, divorced, forgotten as far as cutting edge guitarists are concerned because he has put out zero product for this generation of players, and drunk.

the only similarity betweent he two is drunk.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

WHATTABOUT ED???

Hey I think we're all left wondering about Edward.
    And yeah he was da man back in the day. Hell he still is in my book.
    Having said that, the guy's been through the wringer, musically and personally. I don't blame him one bit, yeah well maybe a little bit.
    Maybe he'll resume his golf and return to a somewhat normal state of mind and then return to the studio. I really don't know what's going on with him either.
    All I know is, he's been a part of my world for many a decade, and I wouldn't want to see him gone. His music is practically the soundtrack of my life (at least up until VHIII ), which I think is part of the problem here. One of those musical genius types, creative mad scientist????
    Ok now I'm just rambling, so I'll shut up now.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.14.07 @ 04:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default ED

Ed was a great guy, I got to know him pretty well during the Sammy run. He always treated me well. He had a ego but shit so does Sammy the problem is now all the hard drug/drinking years have caught up to him. You get old real quick when you "party like a rock star".
    I will never forget what Sammy said in Tuscon after the last show last year,
    quote, I've seen a real good guy turn the corner man, he way on the dark side now.
    Older, bitter, drunk, all that stuff works on you the only way out is to get real help no one else can do it. Hope he does it just so we don't all hear about him when we wake up listening to the radio. He is the one rocker I don't to hear about like Janis, Jim, Keith, Jimmy, and Kurt.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

07.21.16 @ 10:36 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

9 nice to hear from you again!

againstthewind, sorry your soundcheck wasn't up to your expectations. The one I went to in Omaha, he did talk to us. He even asked us for an opinion as far as whether one of his pedals was working or not (like we know, but funny!).
    As many have said here, different cities, different experiences. I'm sure Sam or anyone else would say the same. I guess you got him on a "bad" day.
    I would sure like to see him get something recorded soon, solo or otherwise.
    SMITHJC, I'm with you. Van Halen is a soundtrack to my life as well. (ie Balance came out when I was going through my divorce, appropirate). Ed will always be the best guitarist in my book. Others will follow, but only follow.
    I'd like to see the lineup stay Sam, Mike, Alex and Ed, but a solo album would suit me as well if that's not possible. Dave would be ok, but that ain't happening.
    If Sam's right, and Ed turned to the dark side, I'll go with the quote from Vader's wife in Star Wars and say "I know there's still good in him Obinwan". (OMG did I just use a movie reference! Someone help me!)

Last Online

01.26.10 @ 12:30 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 9on10scale
    Ed was a great guy, I got to know him pretty well during the Sammy run. He always treated me well. He had a ego but shit so does Sammy the problem is now all the hard drug/drinking years have caught up to him. You get old real quick when you "party like a rock star".
    quote, I've seen a real good guy turn the corner man, he way on the dark side now.
    Older, bitter, drunk, all that stuff works on you the only way out is to get real help no one else can do it. Hope he does it just so we don't all hear about him when we wake up listening to the radio. He is the one rocker I don't to hear about like Janis, Jim, Keith, Jimmy, and Kurt.

I know your somebody but dont know exactly who you are so please tell me.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls!
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 02:08 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

9, first of all it is great to hear from you, although it doesn't sound very good from the sound of it in camp vh... I have a feeling it will not be very long untill we hear him in the same vain as Janis, Jim, Keith, Jimmy, and Bonzo (I refuse to include Kurt in this one!)

I don't know the guy, never had the opportunity to meet him, or anything like that. But from what I hear and see here, it seems that he is a very lonely, depressed heartbroken individual who has been taken advantage of and has also hurt others in the course of things. One can only imagine what is swirling around in his mind now, and how he must feel.

I cannot help it but think last years tour is the last time we will see anything from VH. Unless Eddie does something, and something immediately concerning his life, he is done for. I could care less if he is writing with Dave, Sammy or Gary... But let him get back to what he does best, write music... and hopefully one day we will get to hear some of the other masterpieces he has put together.

Until then, we can only dream I suppose.

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

All
    Last Online

05.11.17 @ 09:16 AM
    Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts

Here we go again!!

Because you know or are related to Sammy, you don´t know Ed? Do you live with him or something?

Sure Sammy is not old, bitter, drunk any given day?!?! We´re all humans!!
    under darken skies ... we'll see the light

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:22 AM
    Liked 280 Times in 134 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalen
    Because you know or are related to Sammy, you don´t know Ed? Do you live with him or something?

Sure Sammy is not old, bitter, drunk any given day?!?! We´re all humans!!

All he said was Ed was a great guy. Easy does it!!!
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

Eruption
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 216 Times in 102 Posts

I wonder about Eddie sometimes, but he's just a guitar player. Just a man.

I do wish he would just be straight with the fans, however. Did any of you read the introduction he wrote in the 2004 Guitar World interview? It was all about "We are back.", "Van Halen is back.", Having Mike and Sammy back in my life is also huge", "Its just the tip of the iceberg." "Its real." These were bold statements. I mean, come on. If your going to bother making claims like that, at least back them up.

Turned to the dark side Eddie has! Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

I think Ed has issues, and I pointed them out a long time ago in a post, but I don't want to be judgemental. The guy has incredible talent and as such is also a little looney tunes. He was smiling like crazy at the two shows I was at last year...and I thought the old Ed was back...he seems a tad strange these days, but I guess I take the good with the bad.

Quick little story...no big deal...when I was at the Moline, Illinois show last year...it was suprisingly pro-Sammy...I say suprisingly, because they were chanting Sammy more than Eddie, which was a new thing for me at a VH concert. Anyway, I was sitting about 10 rows back but made my way up pretty close to the stage after Sam's solo tunes...Everyone was chanting Sammy, and I'm going Eddie Eddie Eddie at the top of my lungs. My wife thought I was nuts. I was loud. Eddie heard me, pointed to me, smiled the Eddie smile, and gave me the thumbs up. It was a 1984 Ed moment to me...and gave me hope.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/Mean Streets/Humans Being
    Last Online

06.04.06 @ 08:07 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Was there anyone cooler than Ed in the 80's...or hell even the early 90's for that matter....where the hell did this guy go!!!?"

Well, time tends to change alot of people. I think being a heavy
    drinker just makes problems worse as you get older and are less
    able to handle all of it.

So many great music stars are strange. Any of you ever hear about
    Marvin Gaye? He REALLY lived a f8cked up life and so did his dad.

Last Online

12.01.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts

Just seems like people with exceptional talent seem to mentally lose it after a while. I don't know what it is or how to explain it, but it's almost like self destructive behavior sometimes is the result of years of producing amazing music, art, literature, even science for that matter. I do think Eddie has a talent beyond anything we can really understand and maybe that's what drives him to self destruct. Maybe he doesn't think he's a genius but he must know that his talent isn't something that comes along very often in this world. And to be able to relate to other people in that respect may also be very difficult.

I just hope that the guy finds his way and pulls through. You can't really get down on him because we don't understand the extent of his life. Shame some people will just call the guy a drunk when the issues are far deeper than that.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

Default History repeats itself??

+ 200 years + Smoking Loon =
    A little more volume in the headphones please.

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 09:14 PM
    Liked 2,084 Times in 677 Posts