Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

10.24.09 @ 06:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Did Ed use JCM 800's?

Musician's Friend is advertising this:

"The JCM800 head was the original amp behind Eddie's famous "brown sound" from the 1981 to 1990 era, and it's still powering some of rock's greatest including Zakk Wylde and Kerry King."

I thougth Ed used old Plexi's and toured with 1970 era MkII's without master volumes.

Last Online

05.18.07 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I know on VH1 and II...he used the famous old plexi...wired to his specs of course, I've never heard of him using JCM's but not sure, if he did......there is one thing we all know for sure..they weren't stock, this guy tweaks all his toys, the MAD scientist so to speak.

Last Online

01.26.10 @ 12:30 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think your right, I also read that he had used some laney amps and before hooking up with peavey he used som e soldanos and even after he hoooked up with peavey he used some highwatts for some clean. Dude Im really starting to hate GC and MF. The GC in Fresno absolutely sucks! They have a bunch of new/used stuff on the wall that everyone beats to shit! U know what I mean

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed shred
    I think your right, I also read that he had used some laney amps and before hooking up with peavey he used som e soldanos and even after he hoooked up with peavey he used some highwatts for some clean. Dude Im really starting to hate GC and MF. The GC in Fresno absolutely sucks! They have a bunch of new/used stuff on the wall that everyone beats to shit! U know what I mean
    Yeah, in the earlier days he had some Laney and Music Man amps alongside his Marshalls. I know he used Soldanos on FUCK, but I didn't know he used Hiwatt.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default 1986 Tour Rig

Here's some visual proof from the 1986 tour. Nothing but old Plexi's and non-master volume MkII's.

BTW - how much wattage does one man need???!???!

Last Online

01.26.10 @ 12:30 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kowski
    Yeah, in the earlier days he had some Laney and Music Man amps alongside his Marshalls. I know he used Soldanos on FUCK, but I didn't know he used Hiwatt.

Yeah i read this in a VH3 era interview.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

01.25.07 @ 01:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rock
    Here's some visual proof from the 1986 tour. Nothing but old Plexi's and non-master volume MkII's.

BTW - how much wattage does one man need???!???!

actually those could well be early jcm 800s in the pics, as the early 800s are identical to jmp mk IIs. I've often heard he used the 800s as well however if he did they were certainly the early 800s in tone, as the later models had an extra capacitor which gave a nasaly sleazey high gain sound. the early 800s actually sound quite identical to the jmp mkIIs.

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Movin this to the Guitar Room. Should get more convo in there..
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swordofjoshua
    actually those could well be early jcm 800s in the pics, as the early 800s are identical to jmp mk IIs....
    The early JCM800's were available without a master volume.

This is the panel of the classic Marshall amps, so much favoured and featured by some of the world's greatest guitarists and bands. There are two models with this format:- model 1987 standard lead 50 watt, the original and legendary Marshall amplifier with its unique sweet overdriven valve sound and sustain, and model 1959 standard lead, with that incomparable 100 watt raunch. Both amps feature the same controls and twin channels, one channel is normal (input II) and the other has a high treble response. Each channel has its own volume control and is mixed into the tone network of treble, middle, bass and presence controls. Variable mains and output selectors enable both amps to be used around the world, with virtually any speaker system.

However, Ed's amps that are pictured are not JCM800's. Although, as you stated, the sound and circuitry were likely almost identical.
    Last edited by Chris Rock; 05.23.05 at 06:33 AM.

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Whether the head said JCM800, JMP MKII, or whatever, it probably has no bearing on the actual circuitry of the amps he used. I'll bet many if not most of those heads were modified (except for his main plexi). Just because he said he never modded his old Plexi doesn't mean he didn't mod out everything else to get a sound during that time.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I've often wondered if Ed used Marshalls on the Balance tour. His tone was quite different (and Marshally) for that tour.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Back to my original post.... it seems odd that MF is marketing the JCM800 by saying it was an integral part of Ed's sound when there is no known documentation that he ever did use them.

Ed's sound was a combo of many things. But most importantly is that his sound was in his hands, the way he picked, visualized, attacked...all of that stuff. I also remember reading an article years ago about Nuno Bettencourt. Nuno said he had Ed play through his rig one time before a gig. Nuno was stunned that Ed sounded "just like Ed." More proof that your true sound is in your hands.

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Back to my original post.... it seems odd that MF is marketing the JCM800 by saying it was an integral part of Ed's sound when there is no known documentation that he ever did use them.

Ed's sound was a combo of many things. But most importantly is that his sound was in his hands, the way he picked, visualized, attacked...all of that stuff. I also remember reading an article years ago about Nuno Bettencourt. Nuno said he had Ed play through his rig one time before a gig. Nuno was stunned that Ed sounded "just like Ed." More proof that your true sound is in your hands.
    Agreed. There's not one guitar player that will dispute that it's in Ed's hands. Also, from what I understand, the JCM800 was designed to give a JMP sound with more preamp gain. So all these mods that people now do to them are stemming from an already modded JMP circuit. I guess it's like customizing a car to your liking? All I know is that definitely didn't sound like a JCM800 on OU812...
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default One more thing about Ed's tone...

In a recent GP they profiled the EVH Art Series guitars. They used the original Frankie as a design guide. They tested the original pickup and discovered that it's current resistance was functionally closer to a single coil pickup rather than a humbucker. They said that was due to the way Ed had it wrapped/wired.

More ammo for you tone masters...

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

01.25.07 @ 01:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The early JCM800's were available without a master volume.

This is the panel of the classic Marshall amps, so much favoured and featured by some of the world's greatest guitarists and bands. There are two models with this format:- model 1987 standard lead 50 watt, the original and legendary Marshall amplifier with its unique sweet overdriven valve sound and sustain, and model 1959 standard lead, with that incomparable 100 watt raunch. Both amps feature the same controls and twin channels, one channel is normal (input II) and the other has a high treble response. Each channel has its own volume control and is mixed into the tone network of treble, middle, bass and presence controls. Variable mains and output selectors enable both amps to be used around the world, with virtually any speaker system.

However, Ed's amps that are pictured are not JCM800's. Although, as you stated, the sound and circuitry were likely almost identical.
    you cant confirm that from this picture given that you cant see the amps in detail. remember, the late model jmp mkIIs look exactly the same as the early 800s from a distance, if you arent actually close enough to read the controls you can't differentiate between the two. so as i stated before those could very well be early 800s.