Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 172 Times in 106 Posts

Default Eddie vs. Jimmy Page

A Van Halen fan brought up the topic of "Who was better: Led Zeppelin or Van Halen '78-84" and the following post appeared in that thread:

You have painted the topic with a finer brush in regard to your sub-plot of" EVH is a better guitar player than Page"! This sub-plot seems to have no time parameter, as you are comparing one artist to another. You go around to any thread on this site and try to work in jabs at Zeppelin and/or Page for being sellouts for one reason or another, when the guitar player whose jockstrap you are so far down, has done a pretty fair job of selling out himself! Eddie is a phenomenal guitar player, but I do not respect him as an artist because of the following.
    He does what is best for garnering himself all the accolades, to the detriment of Van Halen.
    He does not take chances with his songwriting, preferring to write around his solo's which are what he values most.
    His guitar playing grew very little....most of what EVH had to say on guitar was put on the Classic 1st album, and repeated on every one since.
    Page on the other hand, Started out great, got even better, was absolutely astounding for awhile , and came down....that alone is far more interesting than a musical holding pattern.
    By the way.....i love how you rip Bron-y-aur as being sellout material in another post, and champion the man who brought the world "Jump"
    Comments?

Last Online

01.26.10 @ 12:30 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah first off its really stupid to compare jimmy to eddie. 2 totally different players.

the only comparison is that there music will last forever!

Jp is so great because not only did he play electric but he played acoustic very well. He also had one of the best all around bands of all time. JPJ wrote alot of stuff with Zep and is responsible for half of that sound. he is the one that created the orchestras, again great supporting cast.

Eddie could have probably done alot more musically if he had a different singer. Remember Eddie wanted to play more keys. Dave had to sing a step or half step down. when sammy came along eddie took alot of chances and it worked. his song writing changed. Its silly to compare different guitar players. I would say that these two guitar players are equally important in RR history.

this guy is silly! or maybe I am
    Last edited by Ed shred; 05.19.05 at 06:06 PM.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:09 PM
    Liked 1,612 Times in 992 Posts

Donor

Van Halen is my favorite band of all time. In my personal lexicon, none even come close.

That being said, the only people in Zep Class are Zep themselves. Ed and Al would be the first to say it. If it weren't for Zep, Cream, and the Kinks, there'd be no Van Halen.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.16.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Page is so overrated it's not even funny. Same with Hendrix. Listen to Spanish Fly and tell me that someone Like Jimmy page or Jimi Hendrix can do something like that. Case closed.

Eruption
    Last Online

I have to agree that Ed would have been more open to diversity if he had another singer to work with. While Dave is a great frontman, his vocal ability is limited. He was perfect for the type of music Van Halen played during his tenure. Sammy has much more range, but I don't think he wants to try new things at this point.

By the way, I just got done listening to a live (actually recorded May 14th) concert by Robert Plant and the Strange Sensation on the BBC website and Plant still sounds great. He's lost a little range, but I think he sounds every bit as good as he did in any of Zep's latter albums (if not better).

Favorite VH Album

Balance-F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

01.06.08 @ 04:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by That loser dude
    He does not take chances with his songwriting, preferring to write around his solo's which are what he values most.His guitar playing grew very little....most of what EVH had to say on guitar was put on the Classic 1st album, and repeated on every one since.
    This couldn't be further from the truth. Ed is a composer First, and guitar player second. To say that his playing didn't grow from the first album is just being ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by That loser dude
    Page on the other hand, Started out great, got even better, was absolutely astounding for awhile , and came down....that alone is far more interesting than a musical holding pattern.

This guy has his head so far up pages ass, he hasn't even had time to actually listen to Eds playing. Apparently Ed's playing is a musical holding pattern. WTF does that mean?

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by rockygotfingered
    Page is so overrated it's not even funny. Same with Hendrix. Listen to Spanish Fly and tell me that someone Like Jimmy page or Jimi Hendrix can do something like that. Case closed.
    You know the number one complaint I hear about Eddie from Page fans? He doesn't play with enough emotion. He's a technical wizard, but there's no "soul" behind his solos. While I marvel at what Eddie does, I think they have a point (somewhat). Page, on the other hand, shows lots of emotion on Zeppelin's blues songs, but couldn't touch Eddie on technical merit. I like both guitarists, but I'd definitely give Eddie the advantage anyday.
    Last edited by VHisback; 05.19.05 at 07:31 PM.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by rockygotfingered
    I WOULD agree with you on one hand, but you have to understand that Page and Hendrix pre-date EVH by a LONG shot. Some of the techniques Ed used on Spanish Fly were TOTALLY NEW (at the time). But, in your defense, al lot of the OTHER techniques are old, tried-and-true-classical, popularized by Andres Segovia, among others. What it boils down to is YOUR personal taste. As Ed is so known to say..."There is no good or bad music. You either like it or you don't." - MY MANTRA...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K., Fair Warning, WACF,1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

06.10.05 @ 09:03 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ok, close this one before people start taking out the rifles...

What does it matter? They are both extremely good and better than a lot of us here!
    "The wold doesent revolve around DLR, but I like to think so" DLR May 1984

www.vhcrossingover.tk

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by vheddyrmv8
    Ok, close this one before people start taking out the rifles...

What does it matter? They are both extremely good and better than a lot of us here!
    We're gonna start another Dave vs. Sammy-like feud with Eddie and Jimmy.

Favorite VH Album

BOBW
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being / SGMAD
    Last Online

07.29.15 @ 09:07 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

question.......once a guitarist is at a cartain level isnt the rest just about personal oppinion???...i dont think there is any possible way to meassure who is "better"...i think ed is the best so in my world ed is the best........case closed....
    Van Halen Is: Edward Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, Michael Anthony, Sammy Hagar, David Lee Roth, Gary Cherone

They will be back.....

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

03.03.17 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 25 Times in 4 Posts

Eddie.

Only because he plays with the kind of taste I love.

Pages electric playing is just sloppy to me.

Last Online

05.11.06 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ed did not grow and rehashed after the 1st album??.. hmmm... how bout as mentioned above.. Spanish Fly?? How bout The Craddle will rock? Playing his guitar thru a keyboard?? How bout his slide playing on Push Comes to shove??? Little Guitars intro and song sounds like something from VH 1? How bout Could this be magic or Take your whiskey home?? the intro to Fools?? Year to the day, is another.... Yes Ed has his style of playing.. every guitar player rehashes here and there... Ed is an innovator (sp) but Ed always seems to keep it fresh... Ed's songs are not built around solos, his solos are so great that most miss the fact he is a great rythm player and song writer also...

I love page and he maybe a better song writer and plays with a bit more emotion but has balance of techical chops and emotion that weigh heavier than page... That is my humble opnion...

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I do think Eddie is a better player and I'm convinced he'd have been a better player had he played along with Jimmi in 70s, or even along with Jimi in 60s, but I hate when people bring technique question in the first place (not to offend anybody). EVH wouldn't keep up with Malmsteen or Angelo Batio on his best and their worst day, and that's the argument Malmst and Batio fans bring when bashing EVH. That's the reason why we could call them idiots, and Jimmi Page fans could call us that way.
    Eddie playing with less emotions than Page is just ridiculous, the one who's written it aparently hasn't heard the very same 5150 LWAN solo, or Respect the Wind or YTTD just to skip through the eras on his 'Eddie hasn't grown since VH1'.
    The casting question here would be, how many guitarists have both of them inspired? EVH - EVERYONE since 1978. Jimmi Page - hmmm. And I know Eddie got the idea of fingertapping watching Page's video, Jimmi still hasn't invented as many new ways of playing guitar as Eddie did
    Last edited by Mishar McLeud; 05.20.05 at 08:15 AM.

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

That's true Mish that Jimmy hasn't brought much of anything new to the table as Eddie, but I'll say that he's influenced just as many, if not more ppl as Eddie over the years. I love VH, but as Squalen noted, Zeppelin is just on another planet.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook