Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.20.07 @ 05:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Any advice?

So here's the deal.

I just found out my wife is pregnant earlier this week. I hate my job. I have a chance to move to a different company doing essentially the same thing but I would take a slight pay cut (about $2.00 less per hour). Our insurance is through my wifes company so there's no problem there.

With my current job, I'm working constantly. Working double shifts, weekends, holiday's and 3rd shift, often on a moments notice. The other job is Mon. - Fri. 8 to 5. No weekends, no holiday's. But working all those hours adds up in overtime. So the $2.00 per hour turns out to be more than that.

With a baby on the way, I feel like I should suffer through the crappy job I have so I can make as much money as I can. But I also want to be with my wife as much as possible during her pregnancy, and once the baby's born...well you get it.

What should I do? Or rather, what's the right thing to do? If I take a pay cut, I feel like a bad provider. If I don't, I feel like I'd feel like a bad father/husband.

Any advice?
    Last edited by Junior; 05.19.05 at 10:14 AM.

Sinner's Swing! chewbaccamonkeylunch's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning and Balance (Tie)
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    So here's the deal.

I just found out my wife is pregnant earlier this week. I hate my job. I have a chance to move to a different company doing essentially the same thing but I would take a slight pay cut (about $2.00 less per hour). Our insurance is through my wifes company so there's no problem there.

With my current job, I'm working constantly. Working double shifts, weekends, holiday's and 3rd shift, often on a moments notice. The other job is Mon. - Fri. 8 to 5. No weekends, no holiday's. But working all those hours adds up in overtime. So the $2.00 per hour turns out to be more than that.

With a baby on the way, I feel like I should suffer through the crappy job I have so I can make as much money as I can. But I also want to be with my wife as much as possible during her pregnancy, and once the baby's born...well you get it.

What should I do? Or rather, what's the right thing to do? If I take a pay cut, I feel like a bad provider. If I don't, I feel like I'd feel like a bad father/husband.

Any advice?
    Well its tough. You are really going to hate working all those shifts with NO sleep whatsoever for the first few weeks or months of your baby's life. I'm serious man. Mine is a year old next week. At least with a steady 8-5 job you'll have some type of concrete schedule to adjust to. Still, you are right on about banking while you can becuase damn those diapers are expensive!

Really depends on how fast or if your wife is going back to work at all. Congrats by the way!
    The trashman was my hero.......
    -Seenbad

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

you will always "find a way" to get by low on cash. you will have much more difficulty getting by low on sanity.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

My wife switched jobs (to a lesser-paying one) right after giving birth and it was a pretty big blow financial-wise. But as long as your debts are low, you should be fine.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

11.16.17 @ 07:10 PM
    Liked 44 Times in 12 Posts

Donor

If you can find a way to swing it financially, I say switch. I have a 2 and a half year old daughter and a 4 month old son. The value of being involved in those early years cannot be overstated.

Plus, when those early years are gone, they are gone. And they go by SO quickly. If you can do it financially, you will never regret being there for your new child and for your wife. At this stage they are COMPLETELY dependent on you. There is something special and fulfilling about this time that will quickly pass.

Congratulations, and enjoy!