Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Prefer DLR era but love em all
    Favorite VH Song

Can't choose. They're like fam
    Last Online

07.11.17 @ 08:44 PM
    Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts

Default VAN HALEN Bassist Says Repeated Reunion Attempts With DAVID LEE ROTH Failed

Launch Radio Networks reports: Prior to its 2004 reunion with Sammy Hagar, VAN HALEN made repeated attempts to put together a project with original singer David Lee Roth. But bassist Michael Anthony told Launch that none of the Roth reunions took hold. "We tried to do the reunion thing with Roth, I think, three, four, I don't know how many times, you know, on any kind of level," he said. "At the end it was almost like, 'Let's just see if we can go out and play some shows and not even go in the studio,' and we couldn't even work that out with Roth. And at that point, I was so frustrated."

Roth and VAN HALEN parted ways in 1985, after which he was replaced by Hagar. Roth rejoined the group briefly to record two new songs for 1996's "The Best of Van Halen, Volume 1".

Since leaving the band, Roth has maintained a career as a solo artist and actor, and also wrote an autobiography called "Crazy From The Heat". He also trained as an Emergency Medical Services (EMS) technician.

VAN HALEN is currently on hiatus after last year's tour with Hagar.

What a bunch of fucktards!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

I've been hearing this on the local rock station all morning, but I didn't want to post because I didn't have the word-for word transcript of what he said (and we know how those threads end up when you mis-quote a VH member )

Sounds like they really wanted it to happen, but no dice.

What is so difficult???? Just get up there, put the egos in the trash can and PLAY!

This goes to show that money isn't everything with these guys, the egos are even bigger than the money. If that wasn't the case, they would have already got back with Roth.

I think things with Sam will eventually work out. His little Wabo tour is over ( I think one or 2 more scattered shows) so the VH machine can get rolling again.
    Last edited by Greenpaw; 05.19.05 at 09:47 AM.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

How the fuck would Mike know what was going on when he wasn't even involved with VH until Sammy came back? Wasn't Ed going to replace him but Sammy put his foot down?

Dave would JUMP RIGHT NOW (sorry for the puns) at the chance to get back with the band. He has stated it clearly many times, there is some sort of obstacle IMO that has kept it from happening though. It must be about the money. But fuck the money, for any of them (especially Dave) to become relevant again, they would just need to leave their repective egos in their own homes and split the pot evenly.

I like the idea of going out and doing a tour before committing to an album. If they can't stand each other, they only have to share the stage for 2 hours and not hang out other than that, much like last year when we never saw Eddie and Sammy together when they weren't on stage.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

I would be more interested in WHY they could not work this out. Was it money? Personality conflicts? Lawyers? Dave's voice? Creative differences?
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

HEAR ABOUT IT LATER
    Last Online

01.05.06 @ 01:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can almost guarantee it was the $$$. The bros probably wanted to put Dave on some shitty salary and fuck him over.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:29 AM
    Liked 1,619 Times in 996 Posts

Donor

It'd be much better if Dave cut a last studio album with Ed than a tour. Yes, I know, a majority of you haven't seen Dave live with VH and would probably prefer a tour, but me, I'd much rather have ten tracks of engineered perfection with Dave and Ed collaborating, rather than a rehash of the Diver / '84 tours when they're fifty plus.

A seventh Roth VH album would be heaven on earth, undoubtedly. For that matter, a fifth Hagar album would be bueno as well. I don't care who's fucking singing at this point, just give us some new tunes.
    Last edited by Van Squalen; 05.19.05 at 09:48 AM.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    It'd be much better if Dave cut a last studio album with Ed than a tour. Yes, I know, a majority of you haven't seen Dave live with VH and would probably prefer a tour, but me, I'd much rather have ten tracks of engineered perfection with Dave and Ed collaborating, rather than a rehash of the Diver / '84 tours when they're fifty plus.

A seventh Roth VH album would be heaven on earth, undoubtedly. For that matter, a fifth Hagar album would be bueno as well. I don't care who's fucking singing at this point, just give us some new tunes.
    What he said...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

03.03.17 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 25 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mk5
    I would be more interested in WHY they could not work this out. Was it money? Personality conflicts? Lawyers? Dave's voice? Creative differences?
    I'd probably say all of the above except for Dave's voice unless being out of key was worth squillions of dollars and one hell of a talked about tour. I don't really thinking Dave's voice has too much to do with it anymore. The old argument of Sammy blowing Dave out of the water with vocal chords is old and stale because Sammy fans know it and Dave fans know it, but, regardless of that, I don't think it's the case. Dave could just stand there on the same stage as Al, Mike and Eddie while they played Runnin' With the Devil and it would be magic to most of us.

I personally think it had to do with who was laying down the law, who wanted to do what and when. And when that was determined, it came down to "Man, how much am I gonna get piad for doing this shit?" which came down to personalities, which came down to lawyers, which came down to contracts, which came down to money.

I really do think it boils down to personality and this is only my opinion and my imagination seeing what happens everytime these guys try and get together and it's unfortunate that I'm sure it's something like this.

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    I don't care who's fucking singing at this point, just give us some new tunes.
    *links Squalen to I WANT GARY BACK thread*

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Eddymon
    How the fuck would Mike know what was going on when he wasn't even involved with VH until Sammy came back? Wasn't Ed going to replace him but Sammy put his foot down?
    That means there were even more attempts from brothers to reunite with Roth that he doesn't even know about

Favorite VH Album

VH1, FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of The World, Show No Merc
    Last Online

10.20.06 @ 08:33 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Umm, is this really news to anyone? We know that at various times throughout 2000-02 VH worked with Dave. I don't have the link but Dave himself confirmed that. I think his quote was something like "We recorded 3 or 4 tunes before the lawyers got involved". Even VH sorta confirmed it via their website when they posted the cryptic "we're aware there are rumors and its true there are rumors" message.
    We don't know if those were Dave's lawyers, Ed's lawyers, WB's lawyers or whoever. After Gary left, they tried (multiple times apparently) to reunite with Dave and it just didn't work out
    Van Halen Live: 15 shows.
    Have I seen my last one?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Mishar McLeud
    *links Squalen to I WANT GARY BACK thread*
    Dude, get a grip...GARY doesn't want Gary back in Van Halen. LOL

And as far as what Mike was or was not a part of. We don't know. Maybe they rehearsed together or maybe Mike means that things never got past the telephone stage with Dave or band meetings or whatever?

We all know Ed, Al and Dave aint' gonna talk And IMO, Mike hasn't lied to us yet.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.15.05 @ 03:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ah well. Looks like we'll have to settle for sloppy seconds again with Sammy. VH wanted to pay him a salary and he told the brothers grimm to shove it. This would have been VH's biggest tour to date and Roth was probably looking for the money to be split 3 ways with Mike getting free room and board.

Favorite VH Album

VH1, FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of The World, Show No Merc
    Last Online

10.20.06 @ 08:33 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eddymon
    Ed said in Jan 04 about Mike "he hadn't seen that cat in 2 years". Now, of course Ed probably wasn't calculating to the exact day so that means he last SAW Mike in early 02 which would be after the "Dave Sessions" and while Ed was starting his cancer treatment. Its not like "van halen" the band was doing anything during this time so its not that unusual for Mike not to be around Ed. It doesn't sound like they are best friends anyway and since Ed rarely leaves his house, they communicated via phone.
    Van Halen Live: 15 shows.
    Have I seen my last one?

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Why on earth is stuff like this being "reported" now?? Is there a P/R machine pushing this out or what...