Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

02.26.17 @ 05:10 PM
    Liked 68 Times in 19 Posts

Default splawn quick rod at low volumes

i figured i'd post some clips of the quick rod recorded at VERY low volume so that people can see that this thing still sounds great even at low volume...these clips were recorded with family members sleeping in the next room...it was THAT low in volume. i'm not very experienced with recording so these clips are kinda rough...but you get the idea.

http://www.streamload.com/evhfan/lowgirls.mp3

http://www.streamload.com/evhfan/lowteacher.mp3

http://www.streamload.com/evhfan/lowstreet.mp3
    let's be real...EVH was GOD

Runnin' might put too much focus on the fact that there's a little kid on bass - knuck

I see three bona fide ROCK GODS, and then somebody's kid. - CaboTime

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:17 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

That sounds good considering the low-volume you say you played with.

It definitely has the grittier, Fair Warning snarl thing going. What speaker cab did you use?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic
    That sounds good considering the low-volume you say you played with.

It definitely has the grittier, Fair Warning snarl thing going. What speaker cab did you use?

i was running it through a genz benz 2x12

Runnin' might put too much focus on the fact that there's a little kid on bass - knuck

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:17 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

You know what your tone is missing?

More cowbell.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I tried out a specially ordered splawn for the first time last week, and I have to honestly say it's the biggest peice of over priced and rated crap I've tried in a awhile.
    Besides the fact that the output tubes were loose in their sockets, with no hold down springs or clamps of any kind, ther sound was nothing you can't get on any 800 series head with any no. of pedals.
    After all I've heard about these amps I was really dissapointed.
    Someone's laughin all the way to the bank.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by tribb
    I tried out a specially ordered splawn for the first time last week, and I have to honestly say it's the biggest peice of over priced and rated crap I've tried in a awhile.
    Besides the fact that the output tubes were loose in their sockets, with no hold down springs or clamps of any kind, ther sound was nothing you can't get on any 800 series head with any no. of pedals.
    was this a splawn quick rod?
    what did it look like?...all splawns come with hold down springs so it doesn't sound right...

greatest amps ever...

what made it "specially ordered"?...
    Last edited by elvhfan; 05.18.05 at 06:21 AM.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

did the amp look like this?

i just find this hard to believe because this is the best amp i've ever found for VH...and i've tried them all...

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

LOL! Hey Tribb! Good to see you back.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

5150 from LWAN....
    Last Online

08.13.16 @ 12:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Tribb,

Ok, I'm going to look like an idiot here.........I see the smilee face.......but I've got to know for sure, are you kidding???

I need to know, because I have been seriously considering buying one of these amps, and have heard nothing but good things from people who I respect. After reading your posts for the last few years, I've come to repect your opinion, and I know you know what you're talking about, so if you're serious, I'm thouroughly confused!!!!

cf

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

unless i hear otherwise i'm going to think that that's not a splawn...doesn't sound like it from the brief description that he wrote...

me, i've tried almost everything else out there...my search ended with the quick rod...

many other VH freaks have played through mine and say the same thing...best brown sound
    Last edited by elvhfan; 05.18.05 at 11:32 AM.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

go to harmony central and do a search for splawn in the discussion boards...there isn't one bad thing said about these amps...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

5150 from LWAN....
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by elvhfan
    go to harmony central and do a search for splawn in the discussion boards...there isn't one bad thing said about these amps...

Yes I know, I've read those threads in detail, and have searched high and low on the internet for comments on the Splawn amps/mods and have not heard anything but glowing reviews...I think the smilee in Tribbs post says it all, he's fucking with us, that bastard!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys. Believe me, I'm not trying to purposely smear Splawn, or fuck with you guys. I'm not a mod here anymore and my opinion is strictly my own.
    I'm like you guys, when I try an amp out I either like it or don't, and if I don't I'll say something. I haven't read any of the Splawn reviews on HC, so I don't really know what's being said.
    elvhfan, the amp looked like yours except it had a dark grey, or charcoal tolex.
    This guy waited 3 or 4 months for the head. It looked very solid from the back except for the obvious lack of anything holding the tubes in place, and I know him well enough to believe that's how he recieved it.
    I do honestly believe that the components are high in quality, which probably explains the price tag, and the fact that it's a boutique amp.
    I just thought there wasn't anything to make this amp stand out from many of the others claiming to be a high gain "plexi" amp.
    I played it for about 45 minutes, and the guy was nice enough to let me try a no. of different pedals with it. I also tried it with 2 different 4x12 cabs, and a mesa cab.
    The best amp I've heard to date along the old Marshall line is the Germino amp, and no I don't own own one, but I have tried them. Those suckers sound like the best plexis out there. Not high gain like a Splawn, but if you turn them up and want to hear an old plexi I haven't heard anything closer. Put a good pedal in front of them to boost the gain like you would with a real old marshall and you'll shit.
    Then again I've owned 5 plexis to date, and only liked the sound of two of them.
    Sorry if I offended any Splawn owners. That wasn't my intention. I just think the amp is overpriced for what it does, or doesn't do.
    Even after saying this though, my ears aren't yours so if you're happy with the amp and your mind is made up then I hope you enjoy it and more power to ya.
    You might hear something that I didn't.

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

ther sound was nothing you can't get on any 800 series head with any no. of pedals.
    I gotta disagree here. I've owned 3 JCM800's myself and the difference is night/day. The splawn has a wider palette of tones on tap and more ferocity than any stock 800 with or without a pedal. For more vintage-y JMP type tones, you gotta put the gain on about 8-9 o'clock and crank that master. Or crank the clean channel.

However, I will agree with you that the Splawn is not much different than other modded Marshalls. But look at what you are comparing; the base sound isn't really going to change that much when you start with the same basic circuit. Whether it's Mark Cameron, Jose (RIP), Suhr, Splawn, Dave Friedman, Bray, etc.--the inherent tone isn't going to be THAT different.

btw--I've heard nothing but great things about those Germino amps too. Only I vowed never to spend over $2k on an amp.

lata

How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

5150 from LWAN....
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys. Believe me, I'm not trying to purposely smear Splawn, or fuck with you guys. I'm not a mod here anymore and my opinion is strictly my own.
    I'm like you guys, when I try an amp out I either like it or don't, and if I don't I'll say something. I haven't read any of the Splawn reviews on HC, so I don't really know what's being said.
    elvhfan, the amp looked like yours except it had a dark grey, or charcoal tolex.
    This guy waited 3 or 4 months for the head. It looked very solid from the back except for the obvious lack of anything holding the tubes in place, and I know him well enough to believe that's how he recieved it.
    I do honestly believe that the components are high in quality, which probably explains the price tag, and the fact that it's a boutique amp.
    I just thought there wasn't anything to make this amp stand out from many of the others claiming to be a high gain "plexi" amp.
    I played it for about 45 minutes, and the guy was nice enough to let me try a no. of different pedals with it. I also tried it with 2 different 4x12 cabs, and a mesa cab.
    The best amp I've heard to date along the old Marshall line is the Germino amp, and no I don't own own one, but I have tried them. Those suckers sound like the best plexis out there. Not high gain like a Splawn, but if you turn them up and want to hear an old plexi I haven't heard anything closer. Put a good pedal in front of them to boost the gain like you would with a real old marshall and you'll shit.
    Then again I've owned 5 plexis to date, and only liked the sound of two of them.
    Sorry if I offended any Splawn owners. That wasn't my intention. I just think the amp is overpriced for what it does, or doesn't do.
    Even after saying this though, my ears aren't yours so if you're happy with the amp and your mind is made up then I hope you enjoy it and more power to ya.
    You might hear something that I didn't.

Tribb,

Thanks for the clarification....

cf