Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

06.10.07 @ 04:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Advice from fellow linkers, please.

I have been working for Frito-Lay now for eight years. I have a B.A. in Computer Science, just graduated last year. I have my A+ certifications and I am very proficient with computers…have been for years….especially hardware.

Anyway, Frito has been good to me. They pay very well, have great insurance, and other benefits such as stock options are top notch. I was one of the first 21 people to get a job with them at their star-up (Remember WOW chips?) plant in Arkansas. I got one of the technical jobs and don’t really work that hard at all.

I have applied for and been offered a job with a company that fixes computers, sets up networks, services printers etc.. for factories and grocery stores. The pay is close to the same, it’s salary instead of hourly, the benefits are okay, company car and gas card is provided, and I would work from home….I would only go anywhere if there was a problem. I would also have to move back to Arkansas because the job is based in Missouri, but is covering the Arkansas area. I just moved to Texas last year with Frito.

What do you think I should do? I want this other job, but I feel obligated to Frito.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.20.07 @ 05:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do what's in your best interests. Financially, personally and/or carreer wise.

If Frito-Lay needed to make cuts to stay afloat, they wouldn't feel as torn about letting you go. They're not going to collapse if you leave.

Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

First tell me some horror-stories about employees losing appendages in the chip plants, then I will give you the advice you seek.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

08.22.16 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 67 Times in 65 Posts

salary=more hours imo.good luck
    I used to wonder why he was grinning all the time(Michael Ian Black talkin about EVH on VH1 I love the 80's) but then i realized the reason he's grinning is because he's Eddie F*#king Van Halen

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by FH
    First tell me some horror-stories about employees losing appendages in the chip plants, then I will give you the advice you seek.
    No appendages lost since I have been with the company. I have many nasty stories for you about your favorite products though!

Cheetos being the worst.

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    If Frito-Lay needed to make cuts to stay afloat, they wouldn't feel as torn about letting you go.
    This is exactly what I would say. In the modern age of layoffs, job outsourcing, etc., there is really no such thing as employer "loyalty" anymore, at least not with a corporation as large as Frito-Lay.

If you decide to leave, make sure not to burn any bridges. (i.e., don't threaten to run them down with your truck! j/k. ) Good luck.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

03.03.17 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 25 Times in 4 Posts

Do what makes you happy in the long run.

New experiences are great and look good on the resume and loyalty is just as good sometimes.

The Frito Lay job sounds like it's been in your back pocket for a while and you seem comfy with them. Just makes sure that's it's something you want to give up if you do take the other job.

I see the job that you've just been offered as a job where there are a few more opprotunities to do new things and meet new people and expand your horizons a little more but in the end, it's whatever is going to make you happy and let the money talk at the sametime.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    Cheetos being the worst.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! (in my best Luke Skywalker upon finding out Vader is his father)

You HAVE to tell me. Doritoes? Funyuns, too?
    Last edited by FH; 05.16.05 at 10:28 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

02.10.10 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Shark
    This is exactly what I would say. In the modern age of layoffs, job outsourcing, etc., there is really no such thing as employer "loyalty" anymore, at least not with a corporation as large as Frito-Lay.

If you decide to leave, make sure not to burn any bridges. (i.e., don't threaten to run them down with your truck! j/k. ) Good luck.
    Junior and GS are giving you good advise. I know it's hard to leave someplace that you feel has been good to you. But there is something that made you apply for this other job. Something that you were unhappy with at your current job or maybe the fact that the other job offered you the chance to go home. Trust me working from home sounds great but it takes a lot of self control. I'm a consultant and work mostly out of my home and believe there are times it's really hard to force myself to work because I can find a hundred reason why I need to be doing things around the house. Or playing on the web at a VH site. IMHO that is the biggest drawback to this job.

The best answer though lies within you. What does your heart say? Go with that. It's truely that simple. You want the job, take it. And like Sharkie said don't burn any bridges with your current job. You never know what lies in your future.
    "Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
    --Mark Twain

There's no one as smart as a gambler at the track putting thier last $10.00 on the longest shot of the day.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by FH
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! (in my best Luke Skywalker upon finding out Vader is his father)

You HAVE to tell me. Doritoes? Funyuns, too?
    LOL! Some stuff for those guys.

Cheetos are an extruded product. The get extruded, then come out of the fryer, and then are seasoned in the tumbler. Well, one day I was walking to the may control room next to Fritos to get some reports and saw the sanitation crew and the Cheetos resource by the fryer…it was turned off. Apparently, after a full shift of Cheetos had been run, they shut down to clean and found a nest of maggots hanging a few feet above the fryer!!!!

Another time we got a bag before it went out with a fried mouse in it!

I’ve got plenty more.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

02.10.10 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    LOL! Some stuff for those guys.

Cheetos are an extruded product. The get extruded, then come out of the fryer, and then are seasoned in the tumbler. Well, one day I was walking to the may control room next to Fritos to get some reports and saw the sanitation crew and the Cheetos resource by the fryer…it was turned off. Apparently, after a full shift of Cheetos had been run, they shut down to clean and found a nest of maggots hanging a few feet above the fryer!!!!

Another time we got a bag before it went out with a fried mouse in it!

I’ve got plenty more.
    I will never eat another Cheetos.
    "Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
    --Mark Twain

There's no one as smart as a gambler at the track putting thier last $10.00 on the longest shot of the day.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I guess the question is do you like to be on the road all the time?
    Do you like cheap motels? Because you're going to be in them often. Plus, when one of your systems goes down you'll have to drive to where it is and fix it, there goes your weekend or your kid's birthday party.

Some of the guys love it, I get them through my place all of the time. They're in town to install software or re-image medical equipment or install supermarket systems and so on. Their lives are made up of Denny's and Mac Donalds and in-room movies. The young guys love it - for a while.

So it comes down to if you are unhappy with your current job or just bored.

Were it me, I'd stay put. Especially if the money's the same.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

*searches desperately for a vomit-smilie*
    Seek employment elsewhere, Brad!

Favorite VH Album

VH1, FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of The World, Show No Merc
    Last Online

10.20.06 @ 08:33 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

With a salary/work at home mostly job, you have to take the good with the bad. Most days will probably be easy and typical, but there may be days where you have to go to that client who is looking for the "any" key and such. And maybe that's a Sunday or a day you just simply don't want to drive 100 miles or whatever.

Don't stay out of loyalty to Fritos; they have no loyalty to you. But it does sound like a lateral move so if things aren't bad, staying appears to be the better option unless you like the challange of something new and different.

You just gotta do what makes you happy and whatever you do, don't look back. To quote our Sammy, "F*** yesterday....(you know the rest)"
    Van Halen Live: 15 shows.
    Have I seen my last one?

Favorite VH Album

The unquestionable truth
    Favorite VH Song

Eat you alive
    Last Online

07.10.05 @ 09:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kiss your nights and weekends goodbye! Salary means you are on call even when you're at happy hour.