Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Big Hair Metal Was Killed By Grunge But Grunge Was Killed by...

....Hanson, the Spice Girls and the Back Street Boys.

The truth is sooo painful, unless you're me and then it's funnier than hell.

This just dawned on me today and I thought some of you could use it to beat someone over the head next time one of those gernre arguments comes up.

Have a nice day.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

"Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Hot For Teacher Eddie's Little Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it Later
    Last Online

05.25.07 @ 05:14 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well, you're really comparing apples to oranges my friend. To say that hair metal (one form of rock) was killed by grunge is right on the money. We all know that. But to say grunge was killed by Hanson and the backstreet boys is just stupid. First off, the overwhelming reason for the death of grunge was when Kurt Cobain (or Courtny Love) put a 12 gauge in his mouth. Then, you had the "ska punk" factor. Bands like 311, Sublime, No Doubt, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones and Blink 182 came along playing a happier kind of music and I think everyone just kinda stopped feeling sorry for themselves.

That lame pop shit you mentioned has always been around and will always be around. No self respecting rock fan stopped liking Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains to start listing to the The Backstreet boys. Stupid argument all the way around. And Last Time I checked, Guys like Jerry Cantrell, Mike McCready & Stone Gossard and Kim Tyhall could whail on the guitar a little more impressivly than most (not all) of those long forgotten also ran "shredders". You know why it was more impressive? Because the didn't try to be the next Eddie Van Halen. and they played with emotion.They didn't play 1000 notes when all they needed was 10 or 12 notes. Why do you think Eddie gives Jerry Cantrell so much respect? Cause, he knows the guy can play his ass off. Grunge was in my opinion, the most important music era since the glory days of the 60's and early 70's. Most Big hair metal is now a punchline on VH-1. How many 80's shreddres are even still relevant? Not many- Look at music today Chris Cornell and Scott Wieland are still very relevent. Pearl Jam still packs every concert venue they play. Nirvana still sells tons of records. The Foo Fighters are one of the biggest names in Rock.

Next time come with a better argument than that - Fucking Weak dude.
    now more than ever, the world needs Eddie Van Halen
    -Alchemy

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie's Little Monster
    Well, you're really comparing apples to oranges my friend. To say that hair metal (one form of rock) was killed by grunge is right on the money. We all know that. But to say grunge was killed by Hanson and the backstreet boys is just stupid. First off, the overwhelming reason for the death of grunge was when Kurt Cobain (or Courtny Love) put a 12 gauge in his mouth. Then, you had the "ska punk" factor. Bands like 311, Sublime, No Doubt, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones and Blink 182 came along playing a happier kind of music and I think everyone just kinda stopped feeling sorry for themselves.

That lame pop shit you mentioned has always been around and will always be around. No self respecting rock fan stopped liking Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains to start listing to the The Backstreet boys. Stupid argument all the way around. And Last Time I checked, Guys like Jerry Cantrell, Mike McCready & Stone Gossard and Kim Tyhall could whail on the guitar a little more impressivly than most (not all) of those long forgotten also ran "shredders". You know why it was more impressive? Because the didn't try to be the next Eddie Van Halen. and they played with emotion.They didn't play 1000 notes when all they needed was 10 or 12 notes. Why do you think Eddie gives Jerry Cantrell so much respect? Cause, he knows the guy can play his ass off. Grunge was in my opinion, the most important music era since the glory days of the 60's and early 70's. Most Big hair metal is now a punchline on VH-1. How many 80's shreddres are even still relevant? Not many- Look at music today Chris Cornell and Scott Wieland are still very relevent. Pearl Jam still packs every concert venue they play. Nirvana still sells tons of records. The Foo Fighters are one of the biggest names in Rock.

Next time come with a better argument than that - Fucking Weak dude.
    Great post, right on the money. Don't forget, even when hair metal was at its peak, you had the lame pop shit. New Kids on the Block, Debbie Gibson, Tiffany,Milli Vanilli,Paula Abdul, etc. They co-existed because it was two distinct audiences, as it was during grunge and the lame 90's pop shit.
    Last edited by Menlow; 05.15.05 at 05:14 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hair metal ate it's own tail. The jig was up. Grunge just happened
    to be there to latch onto. At the time, people were looking for "smart
    metal", and it started off promisingly enough with Jane's and Soungarden -
    who were defintely more art if not smart - but it quickly devolved into
    fart metal.

Grunge wasn't so much killed as it died from loneliness. There are a lot
    of good bands firing way right now - and it's shaping up to be a great year
    for rock - but there's still no singular force decimating everything in
    it's wake.

Favorite VH Album

1984/5150/F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

DD Legs,Humans Being
    Last Online

07.23.09 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Like it or not, Korn, Limp Bizkit, and Staind killed grunge (at least in my opinion)...and they are pretty much all done themselves...I think the industry is still trying to figure out what the next big thing in rock will be...
    Last edited by DaveB; 05.15.05 at 05:54 PM.

Favorite VH Album

5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mistere
    but there's still no singular force decimating everything in
    it's wake.
    What about all of this EMO shit and pop punk crap? Those are 2 that I can think of that are destroying music as we know it!
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Favorite VH Album

dont ask i love em all
    Favorite VH Song

ARE U KIDDING ME
    Last Online

06.16.12 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

grunge killed grunge...........explain to me the difference bewteen punk and grungre.punk was given a label and that was called grunge.....

Eruption
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 09:12 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts

Hip Hop/rap is what killed rock. Sure there was rap in the late 80s early 90s , but it was a more upbeat funny type of music. I can remember the jaws drop when 2 Live Crew came out with Luke Skywalker. Now that filth is everywhere. When the songs on the radio have to have blank spots and bleeps you know the music has hit the gutter. The media has glorified that whole thug lifestyle to the point nearly every youth tries to emulate these punks.

Favorite VH Album

5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Limecuda
    Hip Hop/rap is what killed rock. Sure there was rap in the late 80s early 90s , but it was a more upbeat funny type of music. I can remember the jaws drop when 2 Live Crew came out with Luke Skywalker. Now that filth is everywhere. When the songs on the radio have to have blank spots and bleeps you know the music has hit the gutter. The media has glorified that whole thug lifestyle to the point nearly every youth tries to emulate these punks.
    Sad isnt it?
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Middle of Tornado/earthquake alley.... so confused!!!
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

07.22.17 @ 01:18 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Sad..... I think it is disgusting! I see way too many of our older kids at school, that have basically thrown school to the gutter because they are going to be the next big "rap star" Who needs school for that? Look at 50cent. What kind of role models are these guys anyway? Pretty darn scary if you ask me. We have way too many kids following this crap.
    http://www.myspace.com/texaschic22
    It's private.. but if you at least say who you are from VH links I will add ya!

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

I am happy Grunge is dead! I hate Nirvana, and I don't care about any Grunge band. 80's rock still lives on in my stereo, I don't care what other people like really.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Punk had a look. It had a velocity. It had a sense of humer. It never took itself seriously.

Punk ain't Grunge, never was, never will be.

Punk is still around, Grunge ain't, as it was killed off by real lame music. As a former shredder, when I look back and know that music went through another evolution with Nirvana at the spearhead. Some Grunge dude is gonna look back and hear "Um Bop".

"Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Having lived through all the changes in music around 1991 and 1995-96 I always thought that both genres were basically killed off by the bands themselves. And to be honest putting a label on either is wrong, you can't lump a band like Motley Crue in with Poison or Bon Jovi. And you can't compare a band like Nirvana with Soundgarden or Alice In Chains. Those labels were created by the record industry and absorbed by week assholes that honestly WOULD listen to Soundgarden one year and then push them aside for No Doubt or Blink 182 the next.

I consider almost everyone on this board a well informed and knowledgeable music fan, but unfortunately were all in the minority, we probably only account for 10% of all record sales, the other 90% are shit heads that buy music by the bundle because they heard it was the next great thing on MTV or Rolling Stone magazine, or they noticed there friend had it at his last fag martini party he just threw.

People like us are only truly happy for very short periods of time in rock history. Metal for a lot of people was only great during it's first couple of years (I kinda agree). A lot of people think hard rock kicked ass only when Zeppelin and The Who were in there prime and it sucked until Van Halen picked up the torch (not taking anything away from Aerosmith). Some people think of the Bands that came out in the early 90's as another golden era for rock music, but what happened after 1994? It only lasted for 3 years tops, was it really that great (I think so but I understand when people don't).
    Last edited by willy4pres; 05.15.05 at 08:40 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Alright, I admit - All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Almost all of them
    Last Online

03.01.12 @ 05:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lal5150
    grunge killed grunge
    More like the record industry killed grunge in the early to mid-90s. The industry saturated the airwaves with grunge bands - after a while, grunge began to lose its appeal, what it stood for. Two prime examples: Spin Doctors and Ugly Kid Joe: Bands that had one hit and faded away, mind you they have released CDs for a few more years but not with that original success. There were others that only lasted one CD release and that was it. The record companies were looking at the bottom line. IMO, the record industry didn't understand what grunge was.
    Homer: No one snuggles with Max Power. Just strap on and feel the Gs!

American Coast Guard: Back off Canadians we got them.
    Canadian Coast Guard: You back off hosers, they are in Canadian waters, eh.
    American Coast Guard: Beat it you puck smacking maple suckers!
    Canadian Coast Guard: Take a hike you Shatner stealing Mexico touchers!

Bart: Who the hell is this?
    Jack Bauer: I’m Jack Bauer, who the hell is this?
    Bart: Me, er… I’m Ahmed Adudi
    Jack: Chloe, get me all you can on Ahmed Adudi… Does anyone there know Ahmed Adudi?
    Chloe O’Brien: Ahmed Adudi; wealthy Saudi financier… Disappeared into Afghanistan in the late 90s…
    Jack: … Really?
    Chloe (ironically): No Jack it’s a joke name, you’re being set up.
    Jack: DAMMIT!