Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Eruption
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:50 PM
    Liked 172 Times in 106 Posts

Default My take on the state of Van Halen

After all the listening to Ed's interview with the 2 Dorks again and considering Sammy and Mike's statements, I think I've figured out the crux of the situation. As Eddie has said in the past, he is a musician, not a rock star. He wants to write quality music, not do interviews and go to after-show parties every night. Ed has also said that the only time he enjoys being on tour is when he is actually on stage playing.

Sammy, on the other hand, loves the spotlight. He wants to party, rock, and just have fun. For him, at this stage, it is all about having fun and making money and not as much about the music anymore.

Eddie wants to take some time and make some quality music and THEN go on tour. Sammy just wants to through a few songs together to get people excited and give the fans what he thinks they want (which is live shows).

As far as Eddie's drinking, I have no idea what the truth is. However, I have the sneaking suspicion that he doesn't drink nearly as much when he is at home writing songs as when he is on the road going to parties all the time. I also think the drinking may be to counter his supposed shyness.

I have no real facts, just speculating on what each of them has been saying. If what I've said is anywhere near the truth, I'd definitely side with Ed.

I know I can wait a few years for another tour IF they actually write some damn music and actually make an album or two.
    Last edited by VHisback; 05.14.05 at 07:24 PM.

Eruption
    Last Online

Let me rephrase what I said about Sam. He is dedicated to his music, but not so much towards writing NEW music. He said making the 3 songs for Best of Both Worlds was like writing 5 albums worth.

The tour last year was great and we needed that after the long hiatus, but now is the time to write some new music. I would rather have more albums and never get another tour than to have more tours and never get any new music. Music is timeless, but the lives of the musicians are not. That last greatest hits album was a misnomer. New albums that are actually well done AND an occasional tour every few years...THAT is The Best of Both Worlds.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy
    Last Online

06.01.07 @ 07:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VHisback
    After all the listening to Ed's interview with the 2 Dorks again and considering Sammy and Mike's statements, I think I've figured out the crux of the situation. As Eddie has said in the past, he is a musician, not a rock star. He wants to write quality music, not do interviews and go to after-show parties every night. Ed has also said that the only time he enjoys being on tour is when he is actually on stage playing.

Sammy, on the other hand, loves the spotlight. He wants to party, rock, and just have fun. For him, at this stage, it is all about having fun and making money and not as much about the music anymore.

Eddie wants to take some time and make some quality music and THEN go on tour. Sammy just wants to through a few songs together to get people excited and give the fans what he thinks they want (which is live shows).

As far as Eddie's drinking, I have no idea what the truth is. However, I have the sneaking suspicion that he doesn't drink nearly as much when he is at home writing songs as when he is on the road going to parties all the time. I also think the drinking may be to counter his supposed shyness.

I have no real facts, just speculating on what each of them has been saying. If what I've said is anywhere near the truth, I'd definitely side with Ed.

I know I can wait a few years for another tour IF they actually write some damn music and actually make an album or two.
    well said, I don't think you're too far off my friend.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

04.01.06 @ 07:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Right... if that means Ed is actually playing "on stage".

Every musician gets to this point after their first good gig!n Of course it's about the money... it is about the music, but please don't say that VH didn't give way to commercials needs... they probably did.

Yes... Sam gives fans what they want. Ed has had a long time and has a lot to prove... don't you think?

I appreciate your thoughtfulness to the 'suppossed' unknown about Ed's drinking... but make no mistake my friend... if it wasn't a home problem, I don't think Val would have left him. Shy is a great excuse for him. Many with that problem lean on that.

I want to side with Ed too. He just needs to do some serious work with himself. I really want him back... the booze can take you away, ya' know.

Everyone here wants that I think!! I hope you are right!!!!!!

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by BAM66
    I want to side with Ed too. He just needs to do some serious work with himself. I really want him back... the booze can take you away, ya' know.
    Ain't that the truth. And you make a good point that Val probably wouldn't have left him if he wasn't drinking at home. On the other hand, over 50% of marriages in the US end in divorce. Some couples I know that seemed right for each other and were seemingly happy ended up getting divorced.

Last Online

09.10.11 @ 05:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The bottom line is that Hagar just doesn't want to have anything to do with COMMITMENT towards the band. He wants the freedom to do what he wants, when he wants. To me, that is a sign that in the end this will ultimately not work out long term. You can't just come and go as you please. This is Van Halen, one of the greatest groups in rock history, not some sideshow group. As a result, treat it as such through your actions, and show some appreciation for the opportunity you've been afforded to be a part of the band.

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Ain't that the truth. And you make a good point that Val probably wouldn't have left him if he wasn't drinking at home. On the other hand, over 50% of marriages in the US end in divorce. Some couples I know that seemed right for each other and were seemingly happy ended up getting divorced.
    I think divorce rate is much lower among the couples where one member is a multimillionaire.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There are plenty of other threads already going about this same suject. Not sure why so many folks believe that their "ideas" on the situation should get a whole new thread. The Main is pretty packed with threads disucssing this same thing, feel free to copy and paste your thoughts into those, I am gonna close this one down in an attempt to clean things up.

Thanks.
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett