Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

Default Chicago Wabo - 05/13 show review

I'll keep it short.

Overall, I give the show a B+.

The good...I thought Vic was on and really having fun. I thought Sam sounded good, and Mikey's energy was awesome.

The bad...I find two drummers distracting, I don't care for his covers of Rainy Day Woman or I'll Take You there...I love a lot of Sammy's solo songs, and felt he could have played a number of things that would have gone better than these two...and to finish with I'll Take You There was just ridiculous...He should have finished with something else.

Having said all that..I love Sam...I loved the whole experience...and was quite pleased...setlist was cool...somebody else will have to type it out..I apologize, I don't have the time...just wanted to give you guys a quick review.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Sinner's Swing! the_atomic_punks_rule's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Today- Bottom's Up!
    Last Online

12.20.16 @ 03:09 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by extreme red roth
    I'll keep it short.

Overall, I give the show a B+.

The good...I thought Vic was on and really having fun. I thought Sam sounded good, and Mikey's energy was awesome.

The bad...I find two drummers distracting, I don't care for his covers of Rainy Day Woman or I'll Take You there...I love a lot of Sammy's solo songs, and felt he could have played a number of things that would have gone better than these two...and to finish with I'll Take You There was just ridiculous...He should have finished with something else.

Having said all that..I love Sam...I loved the whole experience...and was quite pleased...setlist was cool...somebody else will have to type it out..I apologize, I don't have the time...just wanted to give you guys a quick review.

Thanks BRO, it seems to be the general consensus. I saw them in AC and I'd say the same thing. They should do an online poll and play 75% from that.

Favorite VH Album

5150,Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

5150,Women in Love
    Last Online

04.02.14 @ 04:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Where were you seated man? I thought it was pretty good....wasn't expecting it to be that long but I was pleasantly surprised. My highlights were hearing the full band version of Give to Live and Heavy Metal....and when he did "Standin at the Same Ol Crossroads" bit before Bad Motor Scooter. To me,it looked as if they were just plain having fun doing it all.
    Good thing to know:
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Favorite VH Album

5150-Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.22.16 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts

Who is the second drummer?

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:19 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Michaels
    Who is the second drummer?
    Alex Van Halen
    didn't you know?
    Don't tell Eddie though.

'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Last Online

12.04.12 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sammy put on a great show. I saw him for the first time in 1978, this was probably 10th solo show I have seen thru the years. He has never let me down. Always mixes up his shows and he gives you everything he has on the stage. GO see this mini tour, it is a great show!

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Eddymon
    Alex Van Halen
    didn't you know?
    Don't tell Eddie though.

ROFLMFAO anyone ???

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

It was ok. Highlight was Mike of course and when they did the Van Halen songs. "Things Have Changed", "Give to Live" and "Hammer Falls Down" were damn cool too. But that version of "Right Now" was pretty bad IMO.

Pretty much same setlist as the Detroit show I think? That "I'll take you there" needs to go, but even worse was that awful Kenny Chesney (<---sp?) Song "I Love this bar" I think that's what it was called? That song just plain sucks. What a downer to end the show with those 2 bombs. We bailed as soon as "I'll Take you there" started.

Sam sounded incredible. No doubt the man is still at the top of his game. The Wabos are tight man, and David is a monster on drums. Damn he was smokin but I agree that second drummer was distracting and completely unnecessary. And it didn't bother me before, but the autograph siging thing is very distracting and annoying.

With a history as diverse as Sammy's with so many great songs there's no reason he should be doing cover songs IMO. The crowd obviously went bananas during the VH stuf, especially with Mike there......why the fuck didn't he play more Halen? I mean how great would it be to hear "Summer Nights" or "Black and Blue" or "Don't Tell Me"???

It was a good show, but I couldn't help thinking that he could hop on a plane with Mike to California and knock on Ed's door and get the Van Halen machine rolling again

Favorite VH Album

=\//-/=
    Favorite VH Song

Black and Blue
    Last Online

01.14.12 @ 05:49 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

The "other Drummer"

I thought it was Great to have 2 drummers. and also good to not have the Keyboards too.

Gibby "Rumbero" Ross
    Gibby Ross stems from a musical family; his father was a timbale player and his mother a vocalist. He was born in Oakland, CA; Gibby demonstrated potential rhythmic ability at a tender 18 months. He would play his father's timbales on the living room floor as he followed the Latin beat playing on the record player. At two years old, he began to beat the bongos with sticks. These bongos were given to him by his father, so that he could get his timbales back. Gibby's "set up" was: mini Xylophone, Bongos and a blue plastic bucket. He practiced everyday … by four years old, he was able to play the congas and "solo" to a "Guaguanco", sometimes at a "Rumba" tempo! Gibby played at family gatherings and began to perform with his Father & Godfather.

Gibby's first major showcase was in New York; he was on the same billing as "The Queen of Salsa", Celia Cruz, Elio Roca, & Rolando Laserie. He was billed as "El Nino Prodigio de Puerto Rico". Gibby impressed Celia Cruz that she went to the extent of giving him a pair of conga drums. At six years old, he met "The King of Timbales", Tito Puente; he was flabbergasted with Gibby's ability. Gibby began "sitting in" with Tito's orchestra on a regular basis. Meanwhile, this "Timbale Kid" performed with other heavyweights e.g. Cachao and Willie Bobo.

At eight years old, Gibby was highlighted to perform "Para Los Rumberos" with Tito's orchestra from beginning to end; he imitated Tito's playing "riff for riff" just like the record! On that day, Gibby was awarded a pair of timbalitos by "The King", and he quoted, "Maybe you will grow up to lead my orchestra some day". As Gibby morphed, he continued to be highlighted with Tito and he "sat in" with as many bands as possible and acquired newspaper and TV coverage, "Super Kids". At 15, his parents allowed him to play steadily with a Salsa Band in San Francisco named "Sangre Nueva" led by Frank Navarro aka "El Salsero". At 17, Gibby made a special trip to meet another child prodigy, "Giovanni Hidalgo" from Puerto Rico. They "jammed" and "jammed" and "jammed" until Gibby's two-week vacation was up.

Recently, at a tribute for the late Tito Puente, Gibby was an honored guest who performed Tito's hits with the Concord University Jazz Band. Gibby leads his own band named "Los Rumberos" in the San Francisco Bay Area, plays with "Malo" and is an endorsee for "Remo Drums". Gibby was Journey's featured guest performer during the summer of 2003.
    =\//-/=

Favorite VH Album

'78 -'96 baby!
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs... Enough said
    Last Online

04.08.12 @ 05:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was there, 4th row on Vic's side and I thought the show was great. True I'll take you there was not a way to end the show, but other than that, I thought the Los Tres set was great. Cool to see just Sam, Mike and David Lauser rip out some tunes. We could see mike hanging behind the bass rig for most of the Cabo's set, having fun and a few drinks. It was nice to here Hammer Falls Down, Give to Live, Etc. I like that he poked a little fun at himself when during Things Will Change - he busted into Night Moves. Cool to Hear Rock and Roll Weekend and bad Motor Scooter, and Everybody Must Get Stoned. I only remember 4 VH tunes: Up for Breakfast, BOBW, Top of The World, and a weird but kind of cool version of Right Now. Sam was having a lot of fun, and did call Ed and Al "a couple of old friends of ours" when introducing Up for Breakfast. The Country tune was Toby Keith, not Kenny Chesney (I know that because that was the highlight of the show for my wife, she said he sings it better than Toby). Overall, definately worth the $112.00 for two 4th row seats bought the day of the show. Nice surprise to get on Friday afternoon. Sam signed a bunch of stuff, someone gave him a huge portrait of him, he seemed really touched by that. There was a 7 year old kid in front of us that got his hat signed and they made sure he got some guitar picks. Kudos for that, that made that kids year!

The negatives $5.00 for an 8oz Beer that 3oz is water? No thanks.
    That we had to rush to leave (2 hour drive), get the kids ready and to my parents for the night...FORGOT THE CAMERA! DOH!

Overall very good show. Now if they could do that jam set with a couple of old friends of theirs.............
    Those that say money cannot buy hapiness don't know where to shop.

Favorite VH Album

'78 -'96 baby!
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs... Enough said
    Last Online

04.08.12 @ 05:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just another quick thought, wonder why Cabo Wabo is never played live by Sam? Some kind of agreement with the Bros.? That song would be a perfect show closer for him, and would be a big hit with his fans. I only saw him do it once, and it was jsut vocals and drums, and just a verse. Anyone have any input on this?
    Those that say money cannot buy hapiness don't know where to shop.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by baddmann28
    Just another quick thought, wonder why Cabo Wabo is never played live by Sam? Some kind of agreement with the Bros.? That song would be a perfect show closer for him, and would be a big hit with his fans. I only saw him do it once, and it was jsut vocals and drums, and just a verse. Anyone have any input on this?
    Great question. I would have liked to hear that song, FULL version, over some of those covers....
    Last edited by Greenpaw; 05.14.05 at 09:21 AM.

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

I'm not sure why Sam never does a full version, but I do have him doing a version of it with Vic on guitar. For some reason he never does the whole thing.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:46 PM
    Liked 559 Times in 303 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpaw
    That "I'll take you there" needs to go, but even worse was that awful Kenny Chesney (<---sp?) Song "I Love this bar" I think that's what it was called? That song just plain sucks. (
    That's a Toby Keith song.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:46 PM
    Liked 559 Times in 303 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by =VH=316
    My highlights were hearing the full band version of Give to Live and Heavy Metal
    There's another version of Heavy Metal other than with a full band?
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V