Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:11 PM
    Liked 2,051 Times in 665 Posts

Default Sammy talks VH again 5-12-05

"The Van Halen thing was hard work," singer-guitarist Hagar says. "It was so massive, and so much pressure every night. It was the same thing I left, and that was difficult."

Hagar parted with Van Halen in 1996 after more than a decade with the band, successfully reinventing himself as the ultimate party man.

"What I do is so different from what I do with Van Halen," he says.

Still, Hagar says, the reunion was the right thing to do at the time, and he's glad he did it. It was clearly a more auspicious endeavor than his tour with that other Van Halen singer, David Lee Roth, in 2002.

"I couldn't do that again," Hagar says. "If there's one thing I do, I learn from experience. And that's one experience that doesn't need to be repeated."

Status of his book, being written with former Post-Dispatch scribe Dick Richmond:

"Someday ... if we ever find an ending."

The complete interview is here:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/ent...5?OpenDocument

St. Louis' favorite party guy Cabo Wabos back to town
    By Kevin C. Johnson
    POST-DISPATCH POP MUSIC CRITIC
    05/12/2005

Sammy Hagar performs with his band the Waboritas.
    ( Craig Allen/Getty Images)

Sammy Hagar's concert Saturday night at UMB Bank Pavilion is going to be a breeze compared with his last gig in St. Louis, a two-night stand at Savvis Center last year during a reunion tour with Van Halen.

"The Van Halen thing was hard work," singer-guitarist Hagar says. "It was so massive, and so much pressure every night. It was the same thing I left, and that was difficult."

Hagar parted with Van Halen in 1996 after more than a decade with the band, successfully reinventing himself as the ultimate party man.

"What I do is so different from what I do with Van Halen," he says.

Still, Hagar says, the reunion was the right thing to do at the time, and he's glad he did it. It was clearly a more auspicious endeavor than his tour with that other Van Halen singer, David Lee Roth, in 2002.

"I couldn't do that again," Hagar says. "If there's one thing I do, I learn from experience. And that's one experience that doesn't need to be repeated."

True Hagar fans, many of whom live right here in St. Louis, probably prefer his own party-themed concerts to his occasional detours, anyway. He's calling his latest minitour an extended celebration of Cinco de Mayo. The tour, which features the Waboritas and began in Lake Tahoe, ends with the St. Louis concert. The Waboritas - Hagar, guitarist Victor Johnson, bassist Mona and drummer David Lauser - will open the show.

They'll be followed by Los Tres Gusanos, the original house band from Hagar's Cabo Wabo Cantina in Cabo San Lucas. That band showcases Hagar, Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony and Lauser.

"We'll do what we do, which is really silly," Hagar says. "We play the old classic Sammy stuff. We're like the worst Sammy Hagar cover band. And we play Montrose songs that the Waboritas don't play anymore."

Los Tres Gusanos are joined by Johnson for some Van Halen hits, and everyone is back for the finale and encore.

"It's a three-hour show, and it's different from any show I've done in St. Louis," Hagar says. "Every time I come back to the city, I want it to be better and different."

The show also features a new single that Hagar recorded in a studio he built recently. "Let Me Take You There" is his take on the Staple Singers' "I'll Take You There."

"I heard the song on the radio, the original version with Mavis Staples," he says. "She's one of the greatest singers of all time, and I said, 'Hey, man, let's mess around with it.' Then it started coming together.

"The song is a twist on gospel. Instead of being about religion, it's about feeling good, believing in yourself, loving yourself and the people around you. The song is where Sammy is now."

Sammy Hagar and the Waboritas' "Cinco De Cabo Tour 2005" with Michael Anthony and Los Tres Gusanos
    When: 6 p.m. Saturday
    Where: UMB Bank Pavilion, Earth City Expressway South, Maryland Heights
    How much: $23-$53
    More info: 314-241-1888

Sammy & the city

Red Rocker Sammy Hagar makes St. Louis a priority on his touring schedule. That's a given, inasmuch as St. Louis is, in his view, "the most loyal city in the world."

Hagar says he has so many great memories of St. Louis that it's tough to choose just one. But he managed to do so, as well as comment on other Gateway City attributes.

Favorite St. Louis memory

"It was when I saw I was going to be big in St. Louis. It was 1977 or 1978, when I opened for Ted Nugent at the Checkerdome. When I stepped on stage, people tore the barricade down. They went crazy. They ripped the seats out. That never happened to me before. It was the only place on the planet where I saw this happen right before my eyes, and I said, 'This is my town.' "

Favorite concert venue

"In the old days, it was the Checkerdome. Now it's Riverport, or whatever they call it. It's a great venue. It feels smaller than what it is."

Favorite restaurant

"People take me to different places. I think there's some great Italian food up on the Hill."

Status of his book, being written with former Post-Dispatch scribe Dick Richmond

"Someday ... if we ever find an ending."

Last edited by James in New York; 05.12.05 at 06:05 AM.

Favorite VH Album

OU812 (see my bio for other)
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

10.02.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

St. Louis has a very special place in all Red Sox fans' hearts too.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

it was hard?
    what's so hard about playing with the greatest set of rock musicians playing the greatest rock music and getting paid the greatest paychecks of your life?

life should be so hard for me!
    asshole
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Last Online

06.15.13 @ 05:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by perticelli
    it was hard?
    what's so hard about playing with the greatest set of rock musicians playing the greatest rock music and getting paid the greatest paychecks of your life?

asshole
    You just wouldn't understand how hard it is for a rock star to have to walk out on stage everynight to a huge standing ovation, collect a fat paycheck, and go home and bang a MILF. It's very tiring and I'm sure if he had it to do all over again he'd still be playing 55 at my local bar.
    I like my coffee like I like my women, filled with booze.

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

LOL I enjoyed that.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Last Online

10.11.16 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by perticelli
    it was hard?

asshole
    LoL I was thinking the same thing could you imagine him having to go to work everyday.
    What a bitch sing for a couple hours get paid some big bucks.take a few months off go do whatever you want. and do it all over again.
    wow you would think he has the weight of the world on his sholders.
    lighten up francis its only music

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:11 PM
    Liked 2,051 Times in 665 Posts

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.14.12 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Which just goes to show you that if the things we can SEE are THAT good (fat paycheck, MILF, adoration, fame, getting paid to do what you love), then maybe the things that we don't see must be EXTREMELY BAD if it could taint such a wonderful thing. In other words, are the behind-the-scenes working conditions (*cough*brothers*cough*) so bad that it could make a dream job "hard"?

Now, before you get the cross & nails, know that I don't like Sammy over Dave. Also, I'm asking a question above, not making a statement.

Could it be that Sammy is pulling an Eddie Vedder and moaning about how bad he has it (how terrible it is being rich & famous & banging hot chicks)? It's possible.
    Could it also be that some coworkers were making him miserable? It's possible, too, I guess.
    Click HERE to see my Superhero-themed classroom!

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:18 PM
    Liked 614 Times in 290 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch
    St. Louis has a very special place in all Red Sox fans' hearts too.
    I'll drink to that!
    VH RULES!
    21 Shows Attended 1993-2015

Last Online

I can stand getting up everyday going to work listening to my boss but I have to.
    Sammy doesnt have to do (none of them really do) but to bitch and whine how hard it was to put songs togther or how hard it was to do 80 dates
    give me a break.
    If he didnt know what he was getting into when he rejoined Van Halen then he is the dumbest 56 year old man ever(and i dont think thats the case)
    Then we get to hear the its all about the fan b.s. at 100 bucks a pop for tickets it sure does'nt seem to me like it was all about the fans.
    At this point i could give a shit how grueling it was for him if he doesnt like being in the band don't bitch just quit(why alll the drama) maybe to keep his name in print so he can sell some booze is all I can think of.
    **BUT I WILL BE SEEING HIM AND THE WABO'S TONIGHT ANYWAY***

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

02.26.17 @ 05:10 PM
    Liked 68 Times in 19 Posts

yeah the wabos are so much fun...fun because they suck....
    let's be real...EVH was GOD

Runnin' might put too much focus on the fact that there's a little kid on bass - knuck

I see three bona fide ROCK GODS, and then somebody's kid. - CaboTime

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I really think there might be something to Eddie's comments about Sammy's work ethic.

Yeah, yeah, VH didn't put out anything from 1998 until 2004, while Sammy put out a few weak solo albums, I know.

But that's just it -- Sammy seems like the kind of guy who will only work for himself, when it's in his best interest. He doesn't like to "work" when other people, and other egos, are involved.

That's why he loves playing with the Wabos so much -- it's not work for him. It's a giant Sammy love-fest.

All of these guys have problems for sure, and I still take anything Eddie says with a BIG grain of salt. But he has a point. I wouldn't necessarily call it a "work ethic" issue -- it's more of a "team player" issue. Dave suffers from the same problem.

Maybe it's just really difficult to work with the brothers, I don't know. But somehow I doubt most people would have a problem with it.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by elvhfan
    yeah the wabos are so much fun...fun because they suck....
    They don't suck .....damn dude it aint like Van Halen but its better then 95% of the shit out in the street today lighten up
    When Dave comes around I will go see him 2 . I like both era's of Van Halen. is there somthing wrong with that?

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DUNN28
    They don't suck .....damn dude it aint like Van Halen but its better then 95% of the shit out in the street today lighten up
    When Dave comes around I will go see him 2 . I like both era's of Van Halen. is there somthing wrong with that?
    What is so great about the Waboritas?

They sound like amateurs compared to Van Halen.
    Last edited by YankeeRose; 05.12.05 at 08:31 AM.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeRose

They sound like amateurs compared to Van Halen.
    Compared to Van Halen....most bands do