Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Save
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

VH was on top from 1978-1984 but would their success have continued long after that?.
    When Dave left VH they had to reinvent themselves and their music with Sammy and since Music trends change this could have been a blessing for VH
    Would the public have eventually got sick of Dave and phased VH out?

------------------

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

09.25.16 @ 01:45 PM
    Liked 425 Times in 183 Posts

Van Halen 1 doesn't sound like 1984 does it??

------------------
    "Do you believe??
    Tell me you believe!"-Me Wise Magic

VH files--The truth IS out there..

www.dlrarmy.com
    www.houseofhain.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.25.16 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 7,721 Times in 3,244 Posts

If they would actually release a good album, the might still be popular. Sammy or Dave, they were just fine with Sam.

------------------
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

diamonds4ever
    That's hard to say. When you look at other successful 70-80s bands like ZZ Top, etc. they still release cds but are passed over as yesterday's news by most people even though the sounds has hardly changed. It's got so much to do with label and radio promotion and flavor of the month status that it's really difficult to be a viable, functioning band. Van Halen does have the advantage of their huge popularity and the big support of Warner Brothers.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's a really great question, and one we'll never know. However, I think Van Halen has the advantage of being one of those bands that "captured a generation". sorta like Rolling Stones, Beatles e.c.t Van Halen was basically the best thing to come out of the 80's, and although i'd say U2 is up there to, no one caught people's attention and were as original as VH with Dave. I say they may have had a dud or two album wise...but they'd still be raking in the cash on tour...

The only thing is..I think Dave would have had to change with the times more. Like..it almost seems fitting that we might get a reunion so dave can just act the way he did in "85....I mean...dave's cool...but he hasn't changed much, and I don't know if that would fly nowadays...

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.22.16 @ 10:07 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Bands like ZZ Top and Ac/Dc lose popularity because they keep putting out the same album over and over again. Van HALEN expanded musically from 1978 - 1984 more than Ac/Dc has in 30 years.

Had Van HALEN stayed together after 1985, I don't believe they would have done the Van Hagar ballads to that extent. But Dave had his pop tunes on his solo records as well, so it wouldn't neccessarily all be Fair Warning clones.

The reason Van HALEN is still played daily on the radio, 16 years after their last album, is because they are among the true originals who set the standards for all the others to follow. Beatles. Stones. Who. Zeppelin. Floyd. Sabbath.Queen. Van HALEN.

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country

Van HALEN is: Dave, Eddie, Mikey, Alex. Any questions?

preaching the gospel of the one true Van HALEN for the redemption of a rock n roll world that's gone
    to boy band Hell.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Agree 100% on that FORD!

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i personally believe van halen would be a lot bigger today if they had never broken up with dave... i think they would be getting the respect of led zepplin and others... in my humble opinion, van halen has lost respect with all the singer changes... if they had never broken up with dave (and because they are a band who doesnt put out the same album over and over), they would be really, really big...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 02:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think they'd still be popular to their core fans. To the masses I don't know and I don't really care. Like I always say, I'd rather be moderately successful over 20 or 25 years than to be phenominally successful over 2 or 3.

------------------
    I'm the one who makes the tiger go 'way for ya, and I'm the one who brings 'im back out when ya least expect it!
    David Lee Roth, NBC's Friday Night Videos, 1985

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

09.10.16 @ 06:37 PM
    Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I agree with Bizzatch and Ford in that I feel that VH with Dave captured a generation.
    I think if Dave had never left the band their career would have followed the path of a band like the Rolling Stones.
    I have always considered VH as one of the top bands of all-time but I think they lost some credibility due to the lead singer transitions.
    The one constant is that their talent and influence can never be challenged. Trends and fads aside I think that VH to many is an institution. (somtimes an unstable one)
    But had Dave never left it would have only added to the legacy.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i don't think so. i think they'd be more popular if they split up then reunited with dave shocking all of us fans who have been waiting for the reunion.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls!
    Last Online

08.03.15 @ 03:39 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I think their popularity would have fizzeled. Look at "ground breaking" or "voice of a generation" bands from the 90's. Pearl Jam is a classic example, they were "innovators" of the grunge/90's/go kill myself/ I hate the world/ feel sorry for me rock. Yet, their popularity has drop considurably. In the 90's PJ was the hottest thing, that and Nirvana. I was in High School when the change from the 80's to the 90's took place. Now while VH did go out (classic VH that is) with a bang, I think they would have fizzeled if Dave stayed especially in the 90's. Dave VH isn't PC, and stands for the excess of the 80's and 70's. Very few bands from the 80's and 70's held well in the 90's. And they did so because they changed with the times (including Van Hagar, Aerosmith, Metallica, and so on..)

Although I found this funny, tonight on my way home from work teaching, I heard the new Aerosmith on Rock 101, WGIR in Boston. And the DJ was like, "wow, seems like Aerosmith decided to get their balls back!" If Dave, and the crew could accept "outside influences" to write songs that don't represent them (Ie: I don't want to miss a thing: Aerosmith) then they would have sustained their fame... If not, they would have turned into another nostagia band I think.

-Bostonian

crossing_over
    ummm...I donīt think so...Iīm Hagarīs Fan so I think Van Halen was most popular with Hagar than Roth in ī80 . So that is my opinion.

------------------
    I reach across to the other side to make contact with you.You fill my dreams.I wanna tell you,tell me why youīre crossing over...

Favorite VH Album

Not choosin & U can't make me
    Favorite VH Song

Not choosin & U can't make me
    Last Online

10.30.06 @ 05:54 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm gonna say No just so I could have a better chance at gettin them to play in my backyard at my birthday!

OF course they would still be popular!

Their music has changed dramatically from inception till now. Plus there will always be a few (5.150 Million) of us 5150ians around who would but the new album no matter who was singing.

------------------
    Free VH ScreenSavers at
    www.RasSoft.com

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

08.06.16 @ 11:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would say yes and here is why: When Roth left and Hagar entered, the band did not miss a beat. They elapsed previous commercial success and established themselves as a record store and touring draw--and that was with a new lead singer. Say what you will about Hagar's contribution but the band thrived. I can't believe that they wouldn't have done the same with the original lineup all of these years. I can see how things might have gotten stale especially considering that Dave really hasn't changed much over the years. But, I still doubt that a band with as much to offer as Van Halen in its original lineup would cease to be popular. Now, don't misunderstand, I still think we would have the pop boy band bullshit that's currently infecting us but we're always going to have those types of fads. Real music outlasts that.