Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.26.17 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Default Edward and his bad behavior

This may be better off in the opinions forum although with no news coming out of the VH camp I thought people might want to sound off in Main. Mods feel free to move it if you feel it appropriate.

I have been a fan since 78. I saw them in 78 when they were "Mighty" and they were unbeliveablly good. I saw them in 84 and 86, still they were amazing. Saw them in 91, the show was not so good but I still considered my self and still do a fan.

There has been plenty of comment about the state of affairs in the Van halen camp of late. Most of it centers on the what most would consider to be the idiotic behavior of Edward. Now don`t get me wrong I love the guy`s guitar playing and writing but he has successfully alienated every single person in his inner circle and the industry he helped shape. He has always maintained that since the band bore his name he would have to be in control otherwise it wouldn`t be Van halen. I think that most would agree with this except that it is now his drinking and rediculous behavior that are essentially corrupting his talent.

Forget about the fact that the fans aren`t getting anything new and will likely not see anything new again, I think that there may be nothing left. He has not even published film score work. Most guys like him will begin to at least produce music after a while being away but he has eroded all trust.

The drinking has begun to control every part of when Van halen writes and records and tours, and I`m not talking about the band here. His health has been in decline of late not so much due to cancer, but more over due to his need to control everyone by drinking and smoking essentially taking his ball home with him so no one else can play.

You can say all the nice things about him that you want but what it comes down to is this. Edward is no longer a team player. This is even more obvious because he has not even played with any other guys.

I don`t blame Sam, Dave or Mike for saying fuck him. I just want to play. The lawsuit with Dave was probably due to Dave realizing that playing with Van halen ever again was going to be sporatic and unproven and why should he uproot himself from NYC to move to LA to have the whole thing come undone again? I think that Dave wanted complete closure to the whole thing and when it was clear to him that the sessions in 2000 were never going to see the light of day He sued. Good for him. I would have as well. If I remember correctly they settled out of court.

Sam likes to prove to everyone that he is not the bad guy by working with Dave and then touring with Ed and Al. At the end of it all he can say " Hey I tried to work with these guys but Dave was impossible and so were those other two". Its all money in the bank for him anyway. Thats what a business man who makes music does. Which explains why Sam`s solo stuff never does anything. He uses it to sell the bar and the booze.

I want to hear more of Edward Van halen and what makes him great. Not about the fucking bizarre rantings and behavior of a drunken washed up rock star. This guy has taken more time off to pursue self centered interests like boozing than anyone with his talent should.

Shame on you Edward for squandering that which was never yours to squander in the first place. If Van halen releases a box set like what seems to be planned, I for one will be more insulted than when the first greatest hits package was released.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:36 AM
    Liked 11,565 Times in 4,929 Posts

Well there is no longer an Opinions forum.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

oops. sorry bout that. I generally read the Main area and thats it.

Regards,

Mook

Favorite VH Album

Live in Largo '82
    Favorite VH Song

Sunday P.M in the Park/1 Ft...
    Last Online

11.22.16 @ 05:46 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Pretty accurate on most points...

As far as the box set thing, it doesn't always mean that a band's finished (even tho recent statements are pointing to it). Look at the "Bonfire" Boxed Set from AC/DC...although their recent new material has been less than inspiring, they still kick major ass with their stage show. EVH just needs to get the act together & play with whoever he wants to & not care about the critics. That will make him truly happy as far as his craft goes.

I think a lot of the bros' resentment comes from the fact that a lot of people tell them that they'll never be as successful as they were with DLR in the band (yes, I know about the Grammy awards (paper weights) and the #1 records, etc.--I'm talking album sales), and it eats them up inside.
    I'm willing to bet my house it bugs Alex moreso than Eddie since he's such a staunch detractor of the original band's lineup these days & can't stand Roth.

I'm sure it's been an "VH brothers against the world" mentality in 5150 for a lot of years now. It's just too bad they've become so jaded, but I guess that's also a problem with the industry they're in.
    Q: Recording the album took so long your Australian tour last year was cancelled. What was it like in the studio? There's a history of tension between you and Eddie Van Halen...

DLR: It was like a stand off in a Chuck Norris movie. We each had the laser dot on everybody's forehead waiting for the other guy to blink. Except for Wolfie, he had a Super Soaker ...

Favorite VH Album

VH1, FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of The World, Show No Merc
    Last Online

10.20.06 @ 08:33 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ed tried producing others in the late 80s/early 90s with poor results, as far as sales go. Now tat may be attributed to the fact they were basically unknown acts (Private Life & Baby Animals being the examples), but it could also be that Ed just simply isn't good at producing and VH3 didn't help his resume.

Ed has done 3 movies and lets look at each.
    1) Wild Life was a favor to Donn Landee I believe. I'm not sure of the exact story behind how he got involved though.
    2) Seduction of Gina starred Val and was clearly a favor to her.
    3) Twister was more of a VH project. Ed & Al only did "Respect the Wind" when the 2nd VH tune (possibly "Between Us Two") didn't pan out.

Maybe the movie business isn't for Ed, either. Sadly for us, I think Ed is just happy making music for himself at 5150. If no one but him hears it, I don't think he cares.
    Van Halen Live: 15 shows.
    Have I seen my last one?

Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Last Online

01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by mookie5
    This may be better off in the opinions forum although with no news coming out of the VH camp I thought people might want to sound off in Main. Mods feel free to move it if you feel it appropriate.

I have been a fan since 78. I saw them in 78 when they were "Mighty" and they were unbeliveablly good. I saw them in 84 and 86, still they were amazing. Saw them in 91, the show was not so good but I still considered my self and still do a fan.

There has been plenty of comment about the state of affairs in the Van halen camp of late. Most of it centers on the what most would consider to be the idiotic behavior of Edward. Now don`t get me wrong I love the guy`s guitar playing and writing but he has successfully alienated every single person in his inner circle and the industry he helped shape. He has always maintained that since the band bore his name he would have to be in control otherwise it wouldn`t be Van halen. I think that most would agree with this except that it is now his drinking and rediculous behavior that are essentially corrupting his talent.

Forget about the fact that the fans aren`t getting anything new and will likely not see anything new again, I think that there may be nothing left. He has not even published film score work. Most guys like him will begin to at least produce music after a while being away but he has eroded all trust.

The drinking has begun to control every part of when Van halen writes and records and tours, and I`m not talking about the band here. His health has been in decline of late not so much due to cancer, but more over due to his need to control everyone by drinking and smoking essentially taking his ball home with him so no one else can play.

You can say all the nice things about him that you want but what it comes down to is this. Edward is no longer a team player. This is even more obvious because he has not even played with any other guys.

I don`t blame Sam, Dave or Mike for saying fuck him. I just want to play. The lawsuit with Dave was probably due to Dave realizing that playing with Van halen ever again was going to be sporatic and unproven and why should he uproot himself from NYC to move to LA to have the whole thing come undone again? I think that Dave wanted complete closure to the whole thing and when it was clear to him that the sessions in 2000 were never going to see the light of day He sued. Good for him. I would have as well. If I remember correctly they settled out of court.

Sam likes to prove to everyone that he is not the bad guy by working with Dave and then touring with Ed and Al. At the end of it all he can say " Hey I tried to work with these guys but Dave was impossible and so were those other two". Its all money in the bank for him anyway. Thats what a business man who makes music does. Which explains why Sam`s solo stuff never does anything. He uses it to sell the bar and the booze.

I want to hear more of Edward Van halen and what makes him great. Not about the fucking bizarre rantings and behavior of a drunken washed up rock star. This guy has taken more time off to pursue self centered interests like boozing than anyone with his talent should.

Shame on you Edward for squandering that which was never yours to squander in the first place. If Van halen releases a box set like what seems to be planned, I for one will be more insulted than when the first greatest hits package was released.
    Yeah...Put yourself in Val's shoes.
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

February 10, 1978...The day that changed the Rock N Roll guitar world!!!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mookie5

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! I missed that whole read. Can you repeat it?

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

04.01.06 @ 07:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett
    Well there is no longer an Opinions forum.
    Yet another thoughtful and passionate post pissed on by our illustrious emperor.

Nice thoughts Mookie!!

Don't worry about the wrong thread technicality. It only applies to those with opposing views to management.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:47 AM
    Liked 1,609 Times in 991 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by BAM66
    Yet another thoughtful and passionate post pissed on by our illustrious emperor.

Nice thoughts Mookie!!

Don't worry about the wrong thread technicality. It only applies to those with opposing views to management.
    'Ciao' means good-bye, usually.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:36 AM
    Liked 11,565 Times in 4,929 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BAM66

Nice thoughts Mookie!!

Thought you were leaving? Why are you still posting?

Can't actually follow through with what you say?
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

If Eddie had cut back on his drinking I bet our chances of a new album where at least 30% better

Last Online

12.01.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts

I'm not trying to sound like Ed can do no wrong........ but... how the hell do any of us know what's really up. Sure, almost all rumours are Eddie-unfriendly, yet rumours tend to be more fun to read when they are saying bad things about someone. The internet is really no different than Star Magazine.

9on10scale, I'm sure he's a stand up dude, but he is getting his information through Sammy so it's naturally going to be biased. I'm just saying we should take things with a grain of salt. Unless one of us personally knows all four guys we really don't know what's going on.

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by TOM_5150
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! I missed that whole read. Can you repeat it?
    I never tire of the "Leno one liner crowd". Anyone with anything to say that actually write it down for you gets these little bullshit responses. Very good dick keep em coming.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:08 AM
    Liked 4,803 Times in 2,451 Posts

Premium Member

I agree that Eddie could have done things differently in his life but truth is that none of us probably have ever been invited over for a wine tasting class over his house.

Some of us might have been lucky to catch him for an autograph or maybe to say "hey" but we do not know the guy. We know the person we read about and what other people tell us.

As much as I hate Dave and his routine, I am sure there are some people in his life that see a different side to him. Same for Eddie. Sammy and Mike are very open people and seem to be easy to get along with. Not everybody is like that.

However I bet you they have there nasty side too. Otherwise how come Sammy has been through a few wives?

Maybe some of it was his upbringing. I don't know how many of us here can say that they came from a mixed marriage from an alcoholic Dutchman and a Phillipino mother.

I cannot relate to how it must feel to come to a different country with a different language and culture when you were about 9 years old.

When I was growing up, we used to pick on outsiders and I assume the same happened to Ed and Alex. Until he picked up a guitar I doubt that he was really popular.

Then you get the fame where everybody is your friend and he is probably like "where were you when I was getting my ass kicked for having an accent?"

During 5150, DLR was the one to catch the heat. After when Sammy was gone, Mike agreed that Sam had issues and needed to go. Then after DLR leaving the 2nd time, it was Eddie's turn to catch the heat. Unfortunately VH3 did not take off and nobody likes a loser. However Gary has not said one bad word in public about him however that does not matter

Once Gary left, white smoke was leaked out of Cabo Wabo and Sam and Mike were annoited Popes because since then its blasphamhy to say anything negative about them.

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

I understand that there is blame enough for everyone. No one is perfect however the guy has been pretty selfish in print and the television media. He never sticks to any story he tells. Hey power to the guy if he wants to lie to himself but the guy is sick and very selfish when it comes to making music. It appears that it is an issue of him not wanting to work with others and the booze taking precident over everthing else. Like I said before He has alienated everyone from his wife on down.

It`s a real shame and he should be ashamed of himself for being such a control monger with no results to speak of.