Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:32 PM
    Liked 1,108 Times in 571 Posts

Questions on a new Strat.

We all know the notorious whammy's on strats but i was wandering, is theyre anything to do to keep er in tune while messing with the stick? i know about all the tinkering ed did and could really care less about workin that hard to get it, another thing is that the bridge is i guess you could say " floating " and ive heard that if you put your palm on it, that it too will affect the tuning,

thanks in advance, VanZep.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Strat with Floyd Rose

Quote Originally Posted by VanZeppelin667
    We all know the notorious whammy's on strats but i was wandering, is theyre anything to do to keep er in tune while messing with the stick? i know about all the tinkering ed did and could really care less about workin that hard to get it, another thing is that the bridge is i guess you could say " floating " and ive heard that if you put your palm on it, that it too will affect the tuning,

thanks in advance, VanZep.
    They are building a version of the Strat with a Floyd Rose now....
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/511001/
    "Edward is playing like a motherfucker tonight!" - DLR 10/03/2007

"Now remember, these are youtube video clips so don't expect it to look like "Star Wars" on your 70 inch plasma tv." - Hain23x

"If you want to be a true artist, then make your music and don't even release it." - EVH 1995

"Forward Movement. Not to accomplish anything in particular because that would suggest an end. It's the doing I crave." - DLR 1981

"Panty-Bra! Panty-Bra-ha, oh, oh, oh, oh!" - A friend's childhood interpretation of "Panama."

Good Enough
    Last Online

no floyd for me, thanks anyways chuck, but im more curious in being able to "wiggle the stick" with out the MAJOR drop in tune, i really aim to just use it like a vibrato to play with a note or a little sustain, nothing like dive bombs or anything. thanks again though.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

If you have tuning problems, it may not be the bridge at all. It may be the nut. The nut isn't always cut correctly.

If you notice it's only 1 or 2 strings going out of tune, lift the string out of the nut and rub a pencil in the nut groove. The graphite will slick up the nut groove and you'll be able to better diagnose your problem.
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Last Online

06.12.07 @ 05:54 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any guitar with a trem is going to go out of tune as soon as you use it, that's why Floyd and Kahler introduced their systems with the locking nut years ago. Without that gem, you've got lots of frustration. Ed used to oil the string rollers at the bridge...but they still went out ouf tune. He'd dump that gitter after each song in the early days cuz the strings would be so out of whack.

If you want to rock the arm, go with a floating Floyd speed loader so you've got the best of both worlds (stay in tune and easy string change)

The Strats mentioned above with Floyds are MIM which are still good. They've been available for quite awhile and are really affordable. The American version was discontinued some time ago and twice the cost. I've played both and are very similar. You can still find the US version on EBay for around $1000
    Talkin Some New Kicks

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SactoFan
    If you have tuning problems, it may not be the bridge at all. It may be the nut. The nut isn't always cut correctly.

If you notice it's only 1 or 2 strings going out of tune, lift the string out of the nut and rub a pencil in the nut groove. The graphite will slick up the nut groove and you'll be able to better diagnose your problem.

+1 for this method. You can also go to Home Depot and get a tube of powdered graphite for under $5. I had the chance to speak to Rene Martinez (SRV's tech) a couple times, and he mentioned something about that powdered graphite and a vaseline mix. He sells some stuff on his site at
    www.texasguitarwhiz.com called Graphitall or something like that.
    Last edited by mk5; 05.10.05 at 10:26 AM.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Last Online

02.25.07 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you use the trem on a new strat like a floyd, it will more than likely go out of tune. Try locking tuners. Sometimes that makes dramatic bends possible on a new strat. But if you bring the pitch up or down slightly it shouldn't.

I've found through all the strats I've owned, that after a couple of years of using the trem, the nuts wear down creating a kind of pocket for the strings to sit in, which really helps keep the guitar in tune. After that happens you can usually use it very similarly to a floyd. You'll have to adjust the action, but that's not hard. It takes patience and a lot of playing to get to that point, but it's worth it. Especially if you prefer the feel of a traditional trem to that of a floyd.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Try getting the String Saver bridge saddles and nut made by AllParts. I've got them on my Strat and they make a world of difference in tuning. They're relatively easy to install, too. Granted you'll never be able to treat the Strat trem like a Floyd, but for what you're going for, they oughta work like da nuts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In addition to all of the great advice given here, I'd "block" that sucker so it doesn;t float anymore. There are several ways to do this. IMO, it helps stabilize tuning, provides better sustain, and you don;t have to worry about your guitar going out of tune if you break a string!

Just my .02

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Ultimately, I have gone with a graphite nut and locking tuners in both my strats.

Just don't jump on the bridge right away. Tuning problems can come from something so simple as improperly winding your strings onto the string trees.

Look at the whole instrument before spending unnecessarily...

Good Enough
    Last Online

thanks for all the tips guys, i dont plan on using the whammy like a floyd, just the vibrato it was made for, just looking for some tips help keep er' in tune as to sustain playing time with out having to tune all the damn time. ive heard of the using graphite sacto, i may just do that, thanks again everybody

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

the graphite thing is a major problem solver, Zep...Good pickin'!!

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:24 PM
    Liked 732 Times in 296 Posts

I usually only play Mexican Fender's with the vintage trem's on them. Here's what I do, and I rarely go out of tune, keep in mind, these bridges weren't designed to do crazy dive bomb shit....When Buddy Holly and Richie Valens were playing these things, nobody did that shit.

1. Buy Fender/Schaller locking tuners. Replace the old ones.
    2. Take the 2 outside trem springs that Fender has at an angle and put them in straight like the middle one.
    3. Screw the claw into the body far enough so that the bridge is sitting flush with the body. (When you use the trem arm, it should snap back flush to the body)
    4. Use S.I.T. or D'Adarrio strings (.09-.42) work best

With this set up, I can drop 2 or 2 and a half steps and come back without any problems. I only use the Mexicans because the trem's work way better for me...The American trem's give me constant problems, even set up like I listed above.

-Peace~