Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Why Don't They Have Safety Belts On School Buses?

Two die in Missouri school bus accident
    More than 20 children injured
    Monday, May 9, 2005 Posted: 1:05 PM EDT (1705 GMT)
    Source: CNN

LIBERTY, Missouri (AP) -- A school bus crashed into two other vehicles as it approached an intersection Monday morning, killing two people in the cars and injuring more than 20 children.

Both other vehicles were nearly demolished. Missouri Highway Patrol spokeswoman Angie Weddington confirmed those killed were in the cars.

"Obviously it's a worst nightmare, basically," Liberty School Superintendent Scott Taveau said. "This is a community that cares about kids and cares about education. This is a tragedy for this community."

Two people were critically injured, Liberty City Administrator Patty Gentrup said, but she could not say if they were children.

Twenty-three students were taken to hospitals, with 15 others released to their parents, Taveau said. He said he had no information on the children's conditions.

The bus was taking kindergartners through fifth-graders to Ridgeview Elementary School when the crash happened about 8:30 a.m. Police said the cars had apparently stopped at a stoplight when the approaching bus suddenly veered to the right and slammed into them. The bus driver was not injured.

Workers from a nearby Hy-Vee grocery store rushed to help.

"Why don't they have safety belts on school buses?" Vickie Whattoff, one of the workers, asked. "A lot of the injuries were from kids flying forward and hitting the seat in front of them."

Another worker, Kristin Bosak, said the children were crying for their parents and several were bleeding badly.

Frantic parents showed up at the scene despite pleas from the district that parents stay away.

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

I've driven a school bus and can answer this one. They are far more dangerous having them. Bottom line, that is the God's honest truth. The way the seats are contructed and placed in the bus, in a compartmental fashion, a seat belt could actually cause more harm than good.

Federally, a passenger under a certain AGE has to wear one and it has to be a harness style. The harness then attatches to the seat via a special seat attatchment. The harnesses are also fitted to the student that uses it. They are no easy thing to adjust either. They are also VERY expensive. The only way to ensure a kids on a bus wears a harness is to assign the kid a seat and make the parent pay for the harness.

In the past, they tried to mandate seatbelts in all busses, but with the way they are built and the cost involved, there was/is no way to get it done, without bankrupting the schools and the bus companies.

It also proved to be a safety risk, as odd as it sounds. In the event of an upside down bus, how do the kids get down...without hurting themselves. Or a tipover, kids on the upside have a long way to fall. And if the driver is rendered incapacitated and it's a bus of small kids, they have a problem there. The FDOT actually did crash tests that proved no safety belts are safer than having safety belts. They figured that less bones would be broken, fewer whiplash cases, etc. Stupid and strange I admit, but thats what their conclusion was.

So they came up with, in 1995 I believe, different ways to position the seating, compartmental or for lack of a better term, staggering the seat positions, raised the seatbacks, and lowered the seats. All busses built after 1995, (again not sure of the year, but I believe this is right) had to comply with the new standards. For the most part, this cut down on fatalities it school bus wrecks.

IF the bus involved was built before 1995, when the new regulations were passed, that could explain the amount of injuries.
    Last edited by RRMB; 05.09.05 at 12:14 PM.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Favorite VH Album

VHII, WACF, 5150
    Last Online

03.31.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

That's a shame... I think the reason there aren't safety belts is that it there may be more fatalities if they can't get kids out fast enough in the event that time becomes of the essence. I dunno, just a guess.
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to introduce the king of 10 fingers and six strings... Mr. Edward Van Halen!"

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Redrockinmonkeyboy
    It also proved to be a safety risk, as odd as it sounds. In the event of an upside down bus, how do the kids get down...without hurting themselves. Or a tipover, kids on the upside have a long way to fall. And if the driver is rendered incapacitated and it's a bus of small kids, they have a problem there. The FDOT actually did crash tests that proved no safety belts are safer than having safety belts. They figured that less bones would be broken, fewer whiplash cases, etc. Stupid and strange I admit, but thats what their conclusion was.
    This makes good sense when you consider the wide range of ages of school bus riders...They aren't all 10-11 year-olds who can think on the fly...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

I talked to my old supervisor at the "Bus Barn" and talked to her about this. Basic small talk, nothing earth shattering. I then aksed her to remind me why the school district here chose not to include safety belts again, that we were talking about it here, and I was foggy on the details.

Long story short, it would cost nearly $1 million to retrofit all 50 units with basic lapbelts, provide the harnesses for kids that are required to use them because of behavioral issues, provide harnesses for those little enough to have to use them, have them installed by factory trained techs, train all the drivers and any bus aides how to properly use the harness system AND to train them the proper way to cut the belts in the event of a catastrophic event where the driver or aide is injured.

She also mentioned, like Sacto, that kids falling from them were the leading cause for injuries in accidents in federal test programs. They'd un-do the belt and WHAM...slam down on top of two kids below or to the hard floor, side, ceiling after a roll-over. Believe it or not, a kid flopping around in a bus is less likely to suffer a fatal injury.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Hmmm. Thanks for the info.