Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 56
  1. #1
    Top Of The World ACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.05.01
    Location
    Loudon, NH
    Posts
    200
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    "Happy Trails"
    Last Online

    11.17.06 @ 05:25 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default VH 2004: The Same Old Show

    Before you guys start getting ready to hurl things at me, hear me out.

    It was great to see VH on the reunion tour in 2004 - it had been nine years since the Hagar lineup toured and eight years since the breakup.

    Now there were some new wrinkles:
    * New stage set
    * new songs from the "best of"
    * A couple of vintage VH tunes performed.

    However, when all is said and done, it was basically a warmed-over '90s show.

    Think about it:

    * Same long, boring solos (except for Mikey's, which was brief and to the point)
    * "Panama" for the zillionth time (drop this song, please!)
    * Same mix of old Van Hagar era tunes (the only exception was the lack of any songs from Balance - bad call on the band's part )

    The performance I saw in Worcester, MA was good - it was great to see Eddie and Mikey running and goofing around onstage once again and Sammy was the master of ceremonies. Alex kept the bottom end solid and appeared to be having a great time.

    But I didn't walk away feeling like I'd seen something new. And for the high ticket price ($100), I guess I expected more.

    However, I went because I figured this might be my last chance to see VH and from what I can see, I made a good decision as VH is back in limbo once again.

    I know some of you are going to hang me out to dry because I disrespected the Mighty Van Halen...but I just wanted to state how I felt for the record.

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    22,173
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 01:57 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1,596 Times in 982 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Seventh Seal was from Balance, of course.

    Sorry you were disappointed. Apparently, lots of folks were, so you're not alone. Me, I'm one of the oddballs, as I saw one of the best VH shows of my tenure, in Los Angeles.

    Well, anyway, I'm sure Brett will log your official statement into the official archived records.

  3. #3
    Top Of The World ACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.05.01
    Location
    Loudon, NH
    Posts
    200
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    "Happy Trails"
    Last Online

    11.17.06 @ 05:25 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    Seventh Seal was from Balance, of course.

    Sorry you were disappointed. Apparently, lots of folks were, so you're not alone. Me, I'm one of the oddballs, as I saw one of the best VH shows of my tenure, in Los Angeles.

    Well, anyway, I'm sure Brett will log your official statement into the official archived records.
    They didn't perform "Seventh Seal" when I saw them. It was a Balance-free show.

    And thanks for respectfully "agreeing to disagree" with me. I'm glad you enjoyed your show. Like I said, I did have a good time...it just wasn't what it could have been.

    Then again, nothing will ever top the first time I saw them - 5150 tour - the band was "on their honeymoon" and energized like they never would be again.

  4. #4
    Atomic Punk Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    22,173
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 01:57 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1,596 Times in 982 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ACK
    They didn't perform "Seventh Seal" when I saw them. It was a Balance-free show.
    That means you must've seen Learning to See live, then....which I would've preferred, having seen the Balance tour and such.

  5. #5
    Eruption VH RightNow's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.27.04
    Age
    34
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,155
    Favorite VH Album

    BOBW
    Favorite VH Song

    Humans Being / SGMAD
    Last Online

    07.29.15 @ 09:07 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    they played seventh seal the second night......it kicked ass.....cummon man they have to play the hits..panama is a classic...i mean do they play the deeper cuts for a hunderd hardcores or the hits for 13000?
    Van Halen Is: Edward Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, Michael Anthony, Sammy Hagar, David Lee Roth, Gary Cherone

    They will be back.....

  6. #6
    Eruption
    Join Date
    07.16.03
    Posts
    1,243
    Last Online

    07.13.12 @ 05:20 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ACK
    Before you guys start getting ready to hurl things at me, hear me out.

    It was great to see VH on the reunion tour in 2004 - it had been nine years since the Hagar lineup toured and eight years since the breakup.

    Now there were some new wrinkles:
    * New stage set
    * new songs from the "best of"
    * A couple of vintage VH tunes performed.

    However, when all is said and done, it was basically a warmed-over '90s show.

    Think about it:

    * Same long, boring solos (except for Mikey's, which was brief and to the point)
    * "Panama" for the zillionth time (drop this song, please!)
    * Same mix of old Van Hagar era tunes (the only exception was the lack of any songs from Balance - bad call on the band's part )

    The performance I saw in Worcester, MA was good - it was great to see Eddie and Mikey running and goofing around onstage once again and Sammy was the master of ceremonies. Alex kept the bottom end solid and appeared to be having a great time.

    But I didn't walk away feeling like I'd seen something new. And for the high ticket price ($100), I guess I expected more.

    However, I went because I figured this might be my last chance to see VH and from what I can see, I made a good decision as VH is back in limbo once again.

    I know some of you are going to hang me out to dry because I disrespected the Mighty Van Halen...but I just wanted to state how I felt for the record.

    Your posting this shit a year later? WHO GIVES A FLYING FUCK AT THIS POINT. THE TOUR IS OVER.

  7. #7
    Eruption lal5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.18.05
    Age
    51
    Location
    miami,fla
    Posts
    1,452
    Favorite VH Album

    dont ask i love em all
    Favorite VH Song

    ARE U KIDDING ME
    Last Online

    06.16.12 @ 03:16 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    glad to see the vh haters are out in force...... aint deomocracy grand....

  8. #8
    Romeo Delight Guitman777's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.03.04
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    68
    Favorite VH Album

    VH I, Fair Warning, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    AtomicPunk,MeanSreet,In&Out
    Last Online

    02.03.09 @ 05:21 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Actually the guy was just expressing an opinion and people are getting pissed because they don't agree. The tours over it's a year later who gives a F*** well obviously he does and has a right to express that, and also has a right to expect to enter in to a respectful discussion of such, but NO! if you express any negativity about the MIGHTY Van Halen! you can expect to get flamed, that is sooo wrong. Well i happen to agree with this post, i am a huge VH fan also but i found the show i saw in Atlanta on the 04' tour to be boring. Actually to me in paled in comparison to any VH show i have ever seen, with Roth or Sam, to me it wasn't even on par with the F.U.C.K. or Balance tours. I don't think they were necessarily rehashing the past i just think it was a poorly planned reunion with very little rehearsal and pre-production time invested before hand and it showed, plus they were touring in support of a greatest hits record so the set list reflected that, they were trying to promote it after all. Whether you agree with this guy or me is beside the fact, people deserve to be treated with respect especially if they show respect in a post that is of a critical nature, which i believe this guy has done with this thread. He's a VH hater because of what he said, because he was disapointed.....that is very lame.....
    Peace,

    G

  9. #9
    Eruption lal5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.18.05
    Age
    51
    Location
    miami,fla
    Posts
    1,452
    Favorite VH Album

    dont ask i love em all
    Favorite VH Song

    ARE U KIDDING ME
    Last Online

    06.16.12 @ 03:16 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    at first i was not going to respond to the previous comment. well since my post was mis read by the reader. all i was doing was making fun of all the comments and fuss being made over vh.. i saw the 9/11 show in ft.lauderdale.and they seemed to be hitting on all cyclinders that night. i disagree with you on the stage set up it was nice to see vh in that kind of enviorment. up close and personal. also on the 3tour i really enjoyed gary cherone.lets all remember thats its not life or death we are dealing with . its only a band and music.

  10. #10
    PM Goo with your concerns OLO's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.13.99
    Age
    49
    Location
    Enumclaw, WA
    Posts
    18,055
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 12:17 AM
    Likes
    91
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

    Default

    All oppinions are WELCOME!!

    Everyone chill.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

  11. #11
    Top Of The World
    Join Date
    06.19.04
    Posts
    205
    Last Online

    12.29.16 @ 07:31 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lal5150
    lets all remember thats its not life or death we are dealing with . its only a band and music.
    No, it's life or death....get it straight dude!

  12. #12
    Top Of The World ACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.05.01
    Location
    Loudon, NH
    Posts
    200
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    "Happy Trails"
    Last Online

    11.17.06 @ 05:25 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guitman777
    Actually the guy was just expressing an opinion and people are getting pissed because they don't agree.
    Guitman 777, thank you. You hit it right on the head.

    If anyone else expressed what I'd said and I challenged them, I'd be the bad guy. I guess I'm the bad guy for some people here whichever way you look at it. However, there have been those such as yourself who are respectful, so it works both ways.

    I think also with the benefit of time, we're able to put things in proper perspective. Some people forget that I said I had a good time at the show.

    At least I got to see VH one last time. If they never reunite, I'll always have that.

  13. #13
    Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.17.00
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,612
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 05:24 PM
    Likes
    3,209
    Liked 2,067 Times in 670 Posts

    Default

    "Same long, boring solos (except for Mikey's, which was brief and to the point)"



    Eddie's solo was not the same at all-
    it was different, in the moment, and wild...

    I wouldnt want to go see VH if Eddie didn't solo.

  14. #14
    Good Enough Wolfgang Slinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.06.04
    Age
    33
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,414
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

    03.03.17 @ 11:34 AM
    Likes
    11
    Liked 25 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ACK
    * Same long, boring solos (except for Mikey's, which was brief and to the point)

    From what I've listened to, Ed's solo was just about different every night. He may have included the samething's as a previous night, but they were either doctored of so out of whack that it was cooler than ever.

  15. #15
    Banned!
    Join Date
    04.16.05
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    120
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Top Jimmy
    Last Online

    06.01.07 @ 07:31 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Slinger
    From what I've listened to, Ed's solo was just about different every night. He may have included the samething's as a previous night, but they were either doctored of so out of whack that it was cooler than ever.
    From what I saw from Ed's solos (Toronto & Hamilton) I would have strongly preferred the old, boring, genius, Ed solo. What I received was a new, drunken, barely listenable solo. I saw sure saw different, but different ain't always good.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Wanted: A DVD of a 2004 tour show, clearest best sounding
    By robakvhfan in forum Bootleg Network
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07.30.06, 02:47 PM
  2. Van Halen 2004 show in CA
    By Kenny666 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10.21.05, 06:05 PM
  3. 2004 DVD?
    By Ain't Talkin' Bout' Love in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04.05.05, 08:58 PM
  4. 2004 DVD wanted
    By Rod Dangle in forum Bootleg Network
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04.05.05, 03:48 PM
  5. 2004 Borgata Show w/HFT intro
    By bart5150 in forum Bootleg Network
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01.29.05, 12:39 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •