Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Happy Trails"
    Last Online

11.17.06 @ 05:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default VH 2004: The Same Old Show

Before you guys start getting ready to hurl things at me, hear me out.

It was great to see VH on the reunion tour in 2004 - it had been nine years since the Hagar lineup toured and eight years since the breakup.

Now there were some new wrinkles:
    * New stage set
    * new songs from the "best of"
    * A couple of vintage VH tunes performed.

However, when all is said and done, it was basically a warmed-over '90s show.

Think about it:

* Same long, boring solos (except for Mikey's, which was brief and to the point)
    * "Panama" for the zillionth time (drop this song, please!)
    * Same mix of old Van Hagar era tunes (the only exception was the lack of any songs from Balance - bad call on the band's part )

The performance I saw in Worcester, MA was good - it was great to see Eddie and Mikey running and goofing around onstage once again and Sammy was the master of ceremonies. Alex kept the bottom end solid and appeared to be having a great time.

But I didn't walk away feeling like I'd seen something new. And for the high ticket price ($100), I guess I expected more.

However, I went because I figured this might be my last chance to see VH and from what I can see, I made a good decision as VH is back in limbo once again.

I know some of you are going to hang me out to dry because I disrespected the Mighty Van Halen...but I just wanted to state how I felt for the record.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:57 AM
    Liked 1,596 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

Seventh Seal was from Balance, of course.

Sorry you were disappointed. Apparently, lots of folks were, so you're not alone. Me, I'm one of the oddballs, as I saw one of the best VH shows of my tenure, in Los Angeles.

Well, anyway, I'm sure Brett will log your official statement into the official archived records.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Happy Trails"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    Seventh Seal was from Balance, of course.

Sorry you were disappointed. Apparently, lots of folks were, so you're not alone. Me, I'm one of the oddballs, as I saw one of the best VH shows of my tenure, in Los Angeles.

Well, anyway, I'm sure Brett will log your official statement into the official archived records.
    They didn't perform "Seventh Seal" when I saw them. It was a Balance-free show.

And thanks for respectfully "agreeing to disagree" with me. I'm glad you enjoyed your show. Like I said, I did have a good time...it just wasn't what it could have been.

Then again, nothing will ever top the first time I saw them - 5150 tour - the band was "on their honeymoon" and energized like they never would be again.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:57 AM
    Liked 1,596 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ACK
    They didn't perform "Seventh Seal" when I saw them. It was a Balance-free show.
    That means you must've seen Learning to See live, then....which I would've preferred, having seen the Balance tour and such.

Favorite VH Album

BOBW
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being / SGMAD
    Last Online

07.29.15 @ 09:07 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

they played seventh seal the second night......it kicked ass.....cummon man they have to play the hits..panama is a classic...i mean do they play the deeper cuts for a hunderd hardcores or the hits for 13000?
    Van Halen Is: Edward Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, Michael Anthony, Sammy Hagar, David Lee Roth, Gary Cherone

They will be back.....

Eruption
    Last Online

07.13.12 @ 05:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Before you guys start getting ready to hurl things at me, hear me out.

It was great to see VH on the reunion tour in 2004 - it had been nine years since the Hagar lineup toured and eight years since the breakup.

Now there were some new wrinkles:
    * New stage set
    * new songs from the "best of"
    * A couple of vintage VH tunes performed.

However, when all is said and done, it was basically a warmed-over '90s show.

Think about it:

* Same long, boring solos (except for Mikey's, which was brief and to the point)
    * "Panama" for the zillionth time (drop this song, please!)
    * Same mix of old Van Hagar era tunes (the only exception was the lack of any songs from Balance - bad call on the band's part )

The performance I saw in Worcester, MA was good - it was great to see Eddie and Mikey running and goofing around onstage once again and Sammy was the master of ceremonies. Alex kept the bottom end solid and appeared to be having a great time.

But I didn't walk away feeling like I'd seen something new. And for the high ticket price ($100), I guess I expected more.

However, I went because I figured this might be my last chance to see VH and from what I can see, I made a good decision as VH is back in limbo once again.

I know some of you are going to hang me out to dry because I disrespected the Mighty Van Halen...but I just wanted to state how I felt for the record.

Your posting this shit a year later? WHO GIVES A FLYING FUCK AT THIS POINT. THE TOUR IS OVER.

Favorite VH Album

dont ask i love em all
    Favorite VH Song

ARE U KIDDING ME
    Last Online

06.16.12 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

glad to see the vh haters are out in force...... aint deomocracy grand....

Favorite VH Album

VH I, Fair Warning, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

AtomicPunk,MeanSreet,In&Out
    Last Online

02.03.09 @ 05:21 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Actually the guy was just expressing an opinion and people are getting pissed because they don't agree. The tours over it's a year later who gives a F*** well obviously he does and has a right to express that, and also has a right to expect to enter in to a respectful discussion of such, but NO! if you express any negativity about the MIGHTY Van Halen! you can expect to get flamed, that is sooo wrong. Well i happen to agree with this post, i am a huge VH fan also but i found the show i saw in Atlanta on the 04' tour to be boring. Actually to me in paled in comparison to any VH show i have ever seen, with Roth or Sam, to me it wasn't even on par with the F.U.C.K. or Balance tours. I don't think they were necessarily rehashing the past i just think it was a poorly planned reunion with very little rehearsal and pre-production time invested before hand and it showed, plus they were touring in support of a greatest hits record so the set list reflected that, they were trying to promote it after all. Whether you agree with this guy or me is beside the fact, people deserve to be treated with respect especially if they show respect in a post that is of a critical nature, which i believe this guy has done with this thread. He's a VH hater because of what he said, because he was disapointed.....that is very lame.....
    Peace,

G

Favorite VH Album

dont ask i love em all
    Favorite VH Song

ARE U KIDDING ME
    Last Online

06.16.12 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

at first i was not going to respond to the previous comment. well since my post was mis read by the reader. all i was doing was making fun of all the comments and fuss being made over vh.. i saw the 9/11 show in ft.lauderdale.and they seemed to be hitting on all cyclinders that night. i disagree with you on the stage set up it was nice to see vh in that kind of enviorment. up close and personal. also on the 3tour i really enjoyed gary cherone.lets all remember thats its not life or death we are dealing with . its only a band and music.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:17 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

All oppinions are WELCOME!!

Everyone chill.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.29.16 @ 07:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lal5150
    lets all remember thats its not life or death we are dealing with . its only a band and music.
    No, it's life or death....get it straight dude!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Happy Trails"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guitman777
    Actually the guy was just expressing an opinion and people are getting pissed because they don't agree.
    Guitman 777, thank you. You hit it right on the head.

If anyone else expressed what I'd said and I challenged them, I'd be the bad guy. I guess I'm the bad guy for some people here whichever way you look at it. However, there have been those such as yourself who are respectful, so it works both ways.

I think also with the benefit of time, we're able to put things in proper perspective. Some people forget that I said I had a good time at the show.

At least I got to see VH one last time. If they never reunite, I'll always have that.

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:24 PM
    Liked 2,067 Times in 670 Posts

"Same long, boring solos (except for Mikey's, which was brief and to the point)"

Eddie's solo was not the same at all-
    it was different, in the moment, and wild...

I wouldnt want to go see VH if Eddie didn't solo.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

03.03.17 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 25 Times in 4 Posts

From what I've listened to, Ed's solo was just about different every night. He may have included the samething's as a previous night, but they were either doctored of so out of whack that it was cooler than ever.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy
    Last Online

06.01.07 @ 07:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Slinger
    From what I've listened to, Ed's solo was just about different every night. He may have included the samething's as a previous night, but they were either doctored of so out of whack that it was cooler than ever.
    From what I saw from Ed's solos (Toronto & Hamilton) I would have strongly preferred the old, boring, genius, Ed solo. What I received was a new, drunken, barely listenable solo. I saw sure saw different, but different ain't always good.