Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Balance-F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

01.06.08 @ 04:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WHy did VH and Gary breakup??

I never knew why VH and Gary parted ways. I also didn't know that the breakup happened after they were midway through recording their next album with Gary. I've put together some new clips from VHND.com. to shed some more light on the situation.

New Album with Gary
    January 11, 1999 - Van Halen begin rehearsals this week in preparation for the recording of their second album with Gary Cherone on lead vocals!

April 16, 1999 - As you can probably tell from the lack of recent updates, news from the Van Halen camp is quite hard to come by at the moment. The official Van Halen site had a short update yesterday, confirming that the band were in the studio rehearsing and cutting demos.
    We've attempted to find out the song titles that may appear on the new album, but have been unsuccessful so far. We will continue to try.
    This album may be the most important in the band's 20+ year career. Sales of Van Halen III were the lowest of any Van Halen album to date. Many critics gave the album less than favourable reviews. Nobody knows what direction the band will take with their next effort, but we can be sure that Van Halen will give it 110% and put out the best performance possible.

May 28, 1999 - From the belly?
    The official Van Halen site was updated this week with information about the progress of the next Van Halen album. The update featured candid photographs of the band hanging out at 5150, along with working titles of some new songs.
    Some of the new material currently in demo form:
    • Left For Dead
    • River Wide
    • Say Uncle
    • You Wear It Well
    • More Than Yesterday
    • I Don't Miss You...Much
    • Love Divine
    Please note: these are all working titles of songs that may not even make it to the album. To quote an insider: "...things change hourly around here (5150)".
    On the issue of who will be producing, we reported in February that Don Was had been slated to produce the album. It now looks like we were led astray with that rumour! At the moment a producer has not been chosen.

August 20, 1999 - Things are starting to move a bit quicker in the Van Halen news department. It's funny - you can always tell when a new Van Halen album is on the horizon by the amount of rumours going around... Some of the rumours are too bizarre to even mention, other have been reported in many other places so you've probably heard them already. First, the officially confirmed news:
    The new album: Work continues on the next Van Halen studio album. Producer Danny Kortchmar has the band working six days a week. Over 20 songs have been written to date. Song titles include Left For Dead, River Wide, Say Uncle, You Wear It Well, More Than Yesterday, I Don't Miss You...Much, Love Again, Rock and Roll Cliché and I Want Her Anyway.

It's Official - Gary Cherone Quits
    November 5, 1999 - Gary Cherone has quit as lead singer of Van Halen. The news began to break late last night when the Hollywood Reporter and E! Online web sites reported the story.
    Earlier today the rumour spread quickly across Van Halen email lists and message boards. The story gathered more credibility when sites such as MTV and Billboard ran with it.

EVH Interview
    January 19, 2000 - The online version of Guitar Magazine is featuring two Eddie Van Halen articles this month. The first is a listing of the top 100 guitar players of all time. Van Halen comes in at #6.
    The other is an interview by Gary Graff. In the interview, Ed discusses Dave and Sammy, the poor critical and commercial reception of Van Halen III ("It basically stiffed" - EVH), his use of the term "LSD" to describe previous vocalists, and the importance of remaining popular.
    I'm not sure how recent the interview is, but there is a discussion board linked to the article with only one post (at the time of writing), dated January 18 2000, inviting readers to discuss the interview.

Newsflash - Eddie Speaks Out About Cancer
    April 26, 2001 (19:25) - The following message from Eddie Van Halen was posted minutes ago at the official Van Halen site.

I'm sorry for having waited so long to address this issue personally. But, cancer can be a very unique and private matter to deal with. So, I think it's about time to tell you where I'm at.
    I was examined by three oncologists and three head & neck surgeons at Cedars Sinai just before spring break and I was told that I'm healthier than ever and beating cancer.
    Although it's hard to say when, there's a good chance I will be cancer free in the near future. I just want to thank all of you for your concern and support. Love, Eddie.
    No doubt about it, this is the best news we've heard from the band in a very long time.

I know this is somewhat old news but I wanted to know what happened with Gary. Any thoughts.....

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:45 PM
    Liked 1,602 Times in 984 Posts

Donor

(not enough $ generated) + (negative fan reaction) = no more Gary.

pretty basic math.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Happy Trails"
    Last Online

11.17.06 @ 05:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I read an interview with Gary where he stated that he didn't like the direction the music was going in and that was the basis for his decision to leave. The record company was putting pressure on the band to make old-style VH music and even tried pressuring them into reuniting with Roth...while Gary was still in the band.

I think Gary did the wise thing. And the fact that neither Eddie or Alex has ever said a negative thing about him reflects well on his character.

Favorite VH Album

Balance-F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

01.06.08 @ 04:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen

pretty basic math.
    If this was the case, why would they even start and continue making the second album? I can see the point ACK made stating, Gary said he doesn't like the direction the music was taking, combined with pressure from WB to replace him. But, what kinda direction did he want to take the music though? I mean Tribe of Judah is kinda.... crap.

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Murphenstein
    If this was the case, why would they even start and continue making the second album?
    Because Warner hadn't laid down the final boom yet.

And Gary didn't 'quit.' He was let go.

Music's a biz, as much as Ed waxes up and down about it. (he wants to do what he wants, but he also likes his Lamborghini fleet).

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.16.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

I mean Tribe of Judah is kinda.... crap.
    You'd be wrong on that one.

Favorite VH Album

VH1,Balance,FW,and VH3
    Favorite VH Song

Panama,without you and IAT
    Last Online

05.17.11 @ 11:41 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

i still wish we would of gotten another cherone CD whos knows could of been really good.
    Rock on MotherFucker!!!!!!
    Official VH Links Van Halen 3 fan

Bands I Have Seen Live:
    Van Halen The Smashup
    Twisted Sister Sanctity
    Loverboy Into Eternity
    WASP 2X Overkill
    LA Guns Arch Eenemy
    Stephen Percy Opeth
    Collective Soul Lamb Of God
    Motley Crue 3x Megadeth
    Queensryche 2x Aerosmith
    Amon Amarth Angels & Airwaves
    Trivium
    Children Of Bodom
    Still Remains
    Suffocation
    It Dies Today
    Poison The Well
    Shadows Fall

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

pretty basic math.
    More basic math:
    David Lee Roth=6 multi-platinum albums 34 million copies sold-avg. 5.6 mill.
    Sammy Hagar=4 multiplatinum albums 16 million copies sold-avg. 4 mill.
    Gary Cherone=1 gold record, 500,000 copies sold.

WB wanted either Dave or Sammy back.

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Menlow
    So did fans
    *sighs*

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Menlow
    More basic math:
    David Lee Roth=6 multi-platinum albums 34 million copies sold-avg. 5.6 mill.
    Sammy Hagar=4 multiplatinum albums 16 million copies sold-avg. 4 mill.
    Gary Cherone=1 gold record, 500,000 copies sold.

Then there's the advanced algebra course.

If Ed = A, Dave = B, Sam = C, and Gary = D, then the following apply:

A+Smoking Loon x C + 80 2004 dates = Overload.

B+ego > 1984 = 0

A+B = lots of wet dreams finally being actualized.

A+D = B minor

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

B+ego > 1984 = 0

A+D = B minor

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:12 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

B+ego > 1984 = 0

A+D = B minor
    Nice!
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy
    Last Online

06.01.07 @ 07:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I never knew why VH and Gary parted ways. I also didn't know that the breakup happened after they were midway through recording their next album with Gary. I've put together some new clips from VHND.com. to shed some more light on the situation.

New Album with Gary
    January 11, 1999 - Van Halen begin rehearsals this week in preparation for the recording of their second album with Gary Cherone on lead vocals!

April 16, 1999 - As you can probably tell from the lack of recent updates, news from the Van Halen camp is quite hard to come by at the moment. The official Van Halen site had a short update yesterday, confirming that the band were in the studio rehearsing and cutting demos.
    We've attempted to find out the song titles that may appear on the new album, but have been unsuccessful so far. We will continue to try.
    This album may be the most important in the band's 20+ year career. Sales of Van Halen III were the lowest of any Van Halen album to date. Many critics gave the album less than favourable reviews. Nobody knows what direction the band will take with their next effort, but we can be sure that Van Halen will give it 110% and put out the best performance possible.

May 28, 1999 - From the belly?
    The official Van Halen site was updated this week with information about the progress of the next Van Halen album. The update featured candid photographs of the band hanging out at 5150, along with working titles of some new songs.
    Some of the new material currently in demo form:
    • Left For Dead
    • River Wide
    • Say Uncle
    • You Wear It Well
    • More Than Yesterday
    • I Don't Miss You...Much
    • Love Divine
    Please note: these are all working titles of songs that may not even make it to the album. To quote an insider: "...things change hourly around here (5150)".
    On the issue of who will be producing, we reported in February that Don Was had been slated to produce the album. It now looks like we were led astray with that rumour! At the moment a producer has not been chosen.

August 20, 1999 - Things are starting to move a bit quicker in the Van Halen news department. It's funny - you can always tell when a new Van Halen album is on the horizon by the amount of rumours going around... Some of the rumours are too bizarre to even mention, other have been reported in many other places so you've probably heard them already. First, the officially confirmed news:
    The new album: Work continues on the next Van Halen studio album. Producer Danny Kortchmar has the band working six days a week. Over 20 songs have been written to date. Song titles include Left For Dead, River Wide, Say Uncle, You Wear It Well, More Than Yesterday, I Don't Miss You...Much, Love Again, Rock and Roll Cliché and I Want Her Anyway.

It's Official - Gary Cherone Quits
    November 5, 1999 - Gary Cherone has quit as lead singer of Van Halen. The news began to break late last night when the Hollywood Reporter and E! Online web sites reported the story.
    Earlier today the rumour spread quickly across Van Halen email lists and message boards. The story gathered more credibility when sites such as MTV and Billboard ran with it.

EVH Interview
    January 19, 2000 - The online version of Guitar Magazine is featuring two Eddie Van Halen articles this month. The first is a listing of the top 100 guitar players of all time. Van Halen comes in at #6.
    The other is an interview by Gary Graff. In the interview, Ed discusses Dave and Sammy, the poor critical and commercial reception of Van Halen III ("It basically stiffed" - EVH), his use of the term "LSD" to describe previous vocalists, and the importance of remaining popular.
    I'm not sure how recent the interview is, but there is a discussion board linked to the article with only one post (at the time of writing), dated January 18 2000, inviting readers to discuss the interview.

Newsflash - Eddie Speaks Out About Cancer
    April 26, 2001 (19:25) - The following message from Eddie Van Halen was posted minutes ago at the official Van Halen site.

I'm sorry for having waited so long to address this issue personally. But, cancer can be a very unique and private matter to deal with. So, I think it's about time to tell you where I'm at.
    I was examined by three oncologists and three head & neck surgeons at Cedars Sinai just before spring break and I was told that I'm healthier than ever and beating cancer.
    Although it's hard to say when, there's a good chance I will be cancer free in the near future. I just want to thank all of you for your concern and support. Love, Eddie.
    No doubt about it, this is the best news we've heard from the band in a very long time.

I know this is somewhat old news but I wanted to know what happened with Gary. Any thoughts.....
    Gary was basically pushed out by the higherups at WB. Simply put, VH3 sold horribly and WB wanted no part of another album from them with Gary. Gary was left with the option of leaving them and giving them a chance to be a platinum seller again with Sammy/Dave or staying with the band and giving Eddie the option of either being booted from WB or firing his singer. I don't know what Ed would do but Gary, wisely I think, made it easy for him. I think he's a great singer and a great guy, unfortunately the buying public didn't want any part of a 3rd singer no matter who it was. Gary tried to make VH fans happy, especially playing Dave stuff live, but there was no satisfying many no matter how hard he tried. He did the right thing at the time but it has led to a situation where we have gotten 3 songs from VH in 7 years and the band is always in limbo.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:12 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bedrockboy
    Gary was basically pushed out by the higherups at WB. Simply put, VH3 sold horribly and WB wanted no part of another album from them with Gary. Gary was left with the option of leaving them and giving them a chance to be a platinum seller again with Sammy/Dave or staying with the band and giving Eddie the option of either being booted from WB or firing his singer. I don't know what Ed would do but Gary, wisely I think, made it easy for him. I think he's a great singer and a great guy, unfortunately the buying public didn't want any part of a 3rd singer no matter who it was. Gary tried to make VH fans happy, especially playing Dave stuff live, but there was no satisfying many no matter how hard he tried. He did the right thing at the time but it has led to a situation where we have gotten 3 songs from VH in 7 years and the band is always in limbo.
    Well said. Personally I think a followup to VH 3 would have done better. I think Ed pushed Gary to sing outside his range too much on VH3 and that the followup was more in Gary's range / style. Too bad it'll never see the light of day and that it is shelved with the other thousands of hours worth of material that Ed and Alex has supposedly written and recorded over the years.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

09.22.10 @ 01:03 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

B+ego > 1984 = 0

A+D = B minor
    Thanks for reminding me just how much I hated algebra!!! All that time in class I thought I would never use this shit again!!!