Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default My President Now Live On CNN :) - aka Baltic States And Bush's Visit

Bush hails Latvian 'freedom'

Saturday, May 7, 2005 Posted: 6:41 AM EDT (1041 GMT)

Bush and Vike-Freiberga prepare to place wreaths at the Freedom Monument in Riga.

RIGA, Latvia (CNN) -- U.S. President George W. Bush has highlighted Latvia's young democracy in his visit to the ex-Soviet republic on Saturday.

"It's such a joy to come to the country that loves and values freedom," Bush said after his Latvian counterpart presented him with the country's highest honor, the "Three Star Order."

President Vaira Vike-Freiberga said she was giving Bush the medal because he was a "signal fighter of freedom and democracy in the world."

The two presidents met for about an hour at the imposing 14th century Riga Castle.

"I admire your country's courage," said Bush, who later laid a wreath at the foot of Freedom Monument, a towering obelisk that marks the country's independence from communist rule.

An honor guard greeted Bush at Riga Castle and played both countries' national anthems.

Latvia is Bush's first stop in what could be a politically charged tour designed to promote democracy and mark the 60th anniversary of the end of World War II in Europe.

As part of the events marking V-E Day, for victory in Europe, Bush also plans to lay a wreath at the Netherland American Cemetery in Margraten, Netherlands, and later join world leaders for a victory celebration in Moscow, Russia, that will include a military parade in Red Square.

"I'm going to celebrate with others the end of World War II. It's a chance to give thanks to those who sacrificed. It is a moment to understand that with each generation comes responsibilities to work to achieve peace," Bush told reporters Thursday.

On Saturday in Riga, Bush is holding a joint meeting with Vike-Freiberga and the presidents of the former Soviet republics of Estonia and Lithuania. He is also scheduled to visit Georgia before returning to the United States.

The Kremlin has expressed concern about those visits because of Moscow's strained relationships with its former satellites. Russia was also angered by a letter Bush wrote to Vike-Feiberga.

"In Western Europe, the end of World War II meant liberation," Bush wrote. "In Central and Eastern Europe, the war also marked the Soviet occupation and annexation of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania and the imposition of communism."

Russian officials objected to Bush's use of the word occupation. (Full story)

Baltic leaders have urged Putin to renounce a 1939 pact between Russia and Nazi Germany that led to communist rule in their countries. The Associated Press reported that Putin told German television that Russia had renounced that deal in 1989. (Full story)

The presidents of Lithuania and Estonia are expected to boycott the Moscow ceremony. Vike-Feiberga has said she would attend.

In interviews Wednesday, Bush said that he knew that V-E Day was bittersweet for Baltic nations because the defeat of fascism and Nazism was followed by years of "repressive, communist" rule. He said he discussed the issue with Russian President Vladimir Putin during a February meeting in Slovakia.

"I did make it clear to President Putin that there is great angst, and people don't view this as a liberating moment, and hopefully that he will work with the Baltics in a cooperative way, because it really is in Russia's interests to have free countries and democracies on her border," Bush said. "The more democracies on the border of a country, the more peaceful a country will be."

Bush is scheduled to meet Sunday with Putin at the presidential dacha near Moscow.

"I'm looking forward to going to Russia. I'll have a private dinner with President Putin. It will be a part of an ongoing dialogue I have with him as we learn to continue to respect each other and have a frank dialogue about our country's ambitions, decision-making," Bush said.

The United States and Russia have also been at odds over Russia's decision to sell nuclear components to Iran and short-range missiles to Syria. (Full story)

A statement on the White House Web site said Bush will use his final stop in Tbilisi, Georgia, to "underscore his support for democracy, historic reform, and peaceful conflict resolution."

"I was asked why I picked Georgia, and I can remember the enthusiasm President (Mikhail) Saakashvili had when he invited me to come, it was contagious," said Bush, who added that he looks "forward to going and witnessing the enthusiasm of a new democracy firsthand."

These will be his first visits to Georgia and the Netherlands.

CNN's Dana Bash contributed to this report.
    Last edited by Mishar McLeud; 05.07.05 at 04:40 AM.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Now my opinion - fucking pathetic. And I'll give a few examples - before Soviet Union captured my country (Lithuania) in it's 'bloody red claws' there was such a nice rural state here that Germany would have done anything to reach that level... In the IXth century. No factories, no production - No-thing! Cows and sheep roaming here and there. So, after the victory over the Nazi Germany in Europe, to which Soviets contributed , and not in the last place, Baltic States joined the Union and, in the next 50 years, they've connected all cities with concrete roads, build food factories (thanks to which we're exporting goods to the rest of the Europe, not much but we still do), build Seaport, dozens of Airports and a Nuclear Fucking Power Plant!!!

And, our Pres rejects the offer to arrive at the May 9th V-Day celebration Bush and even Shreder will be there, now he won't, blaming Russia in Independence's violation. And that's after RUSHING into the claws of the EU last year.

And to add - George W will be honoured by the Latvia's highest rank medal. Talking about ass-licking.

I don't think anyone would care much about this, but such behaviour of the head of my country's authority just makes me want to bang the wall with a head. Sorry for the rant
    Last edited by Mishar McLeud; 05.07.05 at 04:56 AM.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So, what does your country plan to do with all of that stuff the Soviets left?

Obviously, the U.S. smells money in your country.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Lol, that's how it's been for the last 10 years. Some US company has already purchased the Gas Manufacturing Factory, led it to the bankrupt and run away with all the money they got! Not to mention the waste of money on NATO stuff, those four F15 purchased last year could have gone on better things such as healthcare, which is below average even in capital. It is obvious the US wants money out of this country (not to invest though), it's the problem with local politicians who give it all up.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

On the bright side, we can't run your country into the ground.

Didn't you guys have Mig 29s and SU-27s? Buying F-15s is just wierd.
    Last edited by Axxman300; 05.07.05 at 10:21 PM.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Hell no, there was not a single military unit here after we gained Independence in '91, and honestly there shouldn't be now either. F15 seem decent compared to the dated pack of mortars we've bought from Netherlands (those birdies fly by my windows every second week ), but arming the below 3 million populated country is just rediculous, with our big neighbour in the East.