Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Ebay Experience ...

Some of you may know I'm looking to build a replica of an EVH "Star" guitar.
    I was lucky enough to score a really nice Danelectro neck (similar to that used on the original) on eBay recently. The neck is brand new with absolutely no fretwear. There aren't even any holes drilled for the neck plate! However ... this neck that the seller shipped is for a lefty.
    (the pictures in his auction clearly show a right-handed neck)

I have tried calling the number listed in his auction several times, but no response. I have emailed him, but again, no response.

Now ... out of desperation for ANY sort of response, I scheduled an auction sniper to bid on the same neck in another auction by this same seller, and won. I figured I may be able to get his attention if there's another sale at stake. And I know that he at least had ONE of these right-handed necks at one time, because of his photos. If I can ever get a response to either my initial request, or from me winning this latest auction, I plan on politely asking him to exchange this wrong neck first before I make payment on the second.

On the downside, I risk negative feedback (x2) for no fault of my own.
    This has happened to me a few times. I get ripped off, seller never sends items, and because I leave negative feedback, they retaliate screwing up my feedback rating.

This eBay system really sucks.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

That is unfortunate that you have had bad experiences. You never know who you are going to deal with.

Can you have a right-handed nut made for the lefty neck? Since there are no holes drilled, that seems like the most time-effective solution.

Also, give the guy a day or two to respond. If he still hasn't responded after that, file a complaint with ebay telling them about the picture of the neck and what you received from the seller. Did you pay thru paypal? You might have some help through them. If you paid with a debit/credit card, call the credit card company and tell them that you did not receive the right goods and request a refund. If they do that, then ship the lefty neck back to the dude COD.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can you have a right-handed nut made for the lefty neck? Since there are no holes drilled, that seems like the most time-effective solution.
    Actually, I thought about this...
    I'm going to use a floyd nut anyway, so the nut really isn't the issue.
    What I forgot to mention is that there is an obvious contour on the heel of the neck that's a dead give-away that it's a lefty. If this guy doesn't pull through with an exchange for me, I may just try to match the contour on the other side to make it less obvious. That may or may not work.

Thanks for your suggestions. They are ALL good. Unfortunately, I've been down this road before and when it comes to dealing through eBay, well ... you're pretty much on your own. Trust me ... I know.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

I'll never use e-bay again. I got ripped on a purchase a few months ago. It was partially my fault for being so naive and trusting and not keeping a paper trail, but the guy I bought from had a great feedback rating. Anyway, I never received my goods. When I filed a complaint with e-bay, they basically said too bad. Fortunately, I didn't lose a lot of money, but still.

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04
    I'll never use e-bay again. I got ripped on a purchase a few months ago. It was partially my fault for being so naive and trusting and not keeping a paper trail, but the guy I bought from had a great feedback rating. Anyway, I never received my goods. When I filed a complaint with e-bay, they basically said too bad. Fortunately, I didn't lose a lot of money, but still.

I'd keep at it if I were you. If the seller didn't come through, that's STEALING! Email him and tell him you are going to file a police report
    and see what he does.
    Last edited by mk5; 05.06.05 at 03:18 PM.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd keep at it if I were you. If the seller didn't come through, that's STEALING! Email him and tell him you are going to file a police report
    Unfortunately, vhin04 is right.
    Ebay will offer to persue it with a "mediator" at a fee with NO GARAUNTEES.
    PayPal will offer to do the same (at a fee with NO GARAUNTEES), and "Safe Harbor", well ... they're just useless.

There is absolutely NO recourse when dealing through eBay and feedback ratings are very misleading. The people that have ripped me off have all had better feedback ratings then me! Why? Because I don't deal through eBay as much as them, and when I am left negative feedback in retaliation for me leaving them negative feedback for being ripped off, it simply looks worse on ME!

BUYER BEWARE: If you deal through eBay, you are on your own, period.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, after winning the last auction for my 2nd Danelectro neck, the guy sent me an invoice. This is after NUMEROUS attempts to contact him regarding the first neck I recieved that was wrong. My response was simple ... I explained that I had made several attempts to contact him reagrding the first neck I purchased from him and that it was NOT the same as shown in the pictures of his auction. I went on to say that I would like to complete the second transaction, but before I do so, I would like him to make good on the first neck I purchased.

His response? None.
    I recieved an email a few days later from this seller which read ... "I have not recieved payment", and that's all it said.

This is after I have now sent him 5 emails which explained the problem and which all included my cell number.

What do you bet this guy NEVER responds to any of my requests to send me the CORRECT neck and just leaves me negative feedback?

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150
    Well, after winning the last auction for my 2nd Danelectro neck, the guy sent me an invoice. This is after NUMEROUS attempts to contact him regarding the first neck I recieved that was wrong. My response was simple ... I explained that I had made several attempts to contact him reagrding the first neck I purchased from him and that it was NOT the same as shown in the pictures of his auction. I went on to say that I would like to complete the second transaction, but before I do so, I would like him to make good on the first neck I purchased.

His response? None.
    I recieved an email a few days later from this seller which read ... "I have not recieved payment", and that's all it said.

This is after I have now sent him 5 emails which explained the problem and which all included my cell number.

What do you bet this guy NEVER responds to any of my requests to send me the CORRECT neck and just leaves me negative feedback?

Have you tried calling him? Do you have his number? If not, PM me and maybe I can help you.

Last Online

12.31.06 @ 08:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You can send an information request to E-bay and they will give you his phone number. If you paid with paypal.....they will reverse the payment and go after him for fraud. There are a lot of things you can do. I have done over 100 transactions on E-bay and have never had a problem at all.

Good Luck!

Live Music Capital of the World" Austin, Texas!
    Favorite VH Album

5150 Baby!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

07.15.12 @ 04:57 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Give us his seller ID and we can send him some hate mail and track all his transactions and notify all bidders that he's a rip off artist.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Give us his seller ID and we can send him some hate mail and track all his transactions and notify all bidders that he's a rip off artist.
    I gave up on ever getting a response from the seller and have put the neck back on eBay. Yes, the seller left a telephone number in his auction however, there is never anybody there available to answer the phone and there is no recorder or answering machine (not that it would matter). Again ... I've had worse experiences with eBay. I've sent sellers money and never received merchandise nor responses to emails, etc ... And to add insult to injury, these people leave me negative feedback in retaliation to the negative feedback I leave them. As far as any "help" from eBay or Paypal .... that's a JOKE.

The only thing I could think of to do, was to relist the neck and use the opportunity to warn people about the seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

Default Ebay is tough

This all sounds very similar to a transaction I had on Ebay... I purchased a Boss GT-3 and the dude never shipped. He cashed my money order and then stopped responding to my inquiries as to delivery etc...
    Finally, I got pissed off enough and called the State Police in his state and they called the "seller" direclty... I had my Boss GT-3 in 24 hrs on my doorstep. It took a month of banging my head against the wall before I got this resolved... It makes you wonder "what the hell is wrong w/ people?"
    What ever happened to honor ?
    Bottom Line : if you have the dude's mail address etc ... call the police.
    There is no way he should be allowed to get away w/ that .. Good Luck!!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

07.18.08 @ 09:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is why I hate Paypal and ebay so much. There are so many people out there who are scammers, and Paypal seems to trust all of them. I'll send him some hate mail for you!

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kartwheel View Post
    This is why I hate Paypal and ebay so much. There are so many people out there who are scammers, and Paypal seems to trust all of them. I'll send him some hate mail for you!
    You may not want to do that ... this thread is now over 3 years old.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

It is definitely a world of "buyer beware" on eBay. But I've been a regular user for a few years now and have only ever been ripped off once--for a $24 item. Sure, there's been the occasional item that showed up in a different condition than was described, but I think you can really get a feel for buyers and evaluate their descriptions if you're thorough and careful. And it really is a matter of evaluating the risks along with the protection provided. I hate the idea that eBay and PayPal are the same company (and if you sell on eBay like I do you know how much money that collective company makes on even just one transaction), but they will go to bat for you if you've followed all of the preliminary measures. In general, send money orders and personal checks selectively and carefully; but really just try to avoid doing so. If the pictures don't show what you need to see, ask the seller to send you some more. If the description sucks, ask for more detail. It's fast and easy to scroll through their feedback; if there's a regular theme of bad descriptions and/or bad communication, be careful. If they're a user with little or no feedback, really proceed with caution. Don't be wooed by the thought of an exceptionally low price if the risks are too great. If you're not a regular user of eBay and don't know much about the safety measures, read everything and ask lots of questions (like of the folks here at the Links).

As a seller on eBay, their recent fee hikes have been noticeably in my bottom line. And with shipping fees going up all around I've found myself actually taking a hit in a few cases. I've started using Craig's List a lot more these last few weeks and really like how fast it can go. For example: I listed a set of stereo speakers two weeks ago Saturday evening. By Sunday at noon they were gone, I had money in pocket, and I didn't have to pack or ship anything. Example 2: Last Friday morning around 7:00 AM I decided I wanted to add a TC Electronic reverb unit to my studio effects rack. I decided on the model, found one on Craig's List, emailed the guy, offered him what I wanted to pay, and literally met him on the streets of downtown Minneapolis at 6:00 PM where we were both finishing up our stuff of the day about a half-mile from one another.